Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2006, 00:03   #1

Dear All,

I am planning for an ICE once I am back in Delhi in first week of Sep.

I plan to Put components in front,6X9 in the rear and one ported sub in the trunk.
What I wanted to check was:-

(a) Is it OK if I have a 4 ch amp with two channels for front comp and the rest two bridged for the Sub. This was suggested to me by the installer for my first car.

(b) Or should I go in for one mono amp for the sub and allow the other speakers to be run by the HU?

(c) I rarely use my rear seat. Is the 6X9 coax required in the above set up?

(d) I am planning for Alpine Coax, Alpine 6X9 , Audiobahn/JBL ported sub
and amp? will this be possible in 25k? If not how much?

I am posting first time on this thread, I listen to Aerosmith, led zepp, and mostly rock/power ballads. I hope the Experts in this forum clear my dobt, unfortunately i can only clarify aerodynamics and rotordynamics
Old 28th August 2006, 02:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashchopper
(a) Is it OK if I have a 4 ch amp with two channels for front comp and the rest two bridged for the Sub. This was suggested to me by the installer for my first car.
Yes it is. You can go ahead with this.

Quote:
(b) Or should I go in for one mono amp for the sub and allow the other speakers to be run by the HU?
No, option (a) is better. You need to power your front comps with an amp. HU power is best left unused, if at all for rear fill, unless you are on a really small budget, which I assume you arent.

Quote:
(c) I rarely use my rear seat. Is the 6X9 coax required in the above set up?
No, not when you have a sub. Get a matching set of 5.25"/6.5" coaxial speakers from the same series as your front comps.

Quote:
(d) I am planning for Alpine Coax, Alpine 6X9, Audiobahn/JBL ported sub
Get the JBL sub, not the Audiobahn. As for speakers get a demo of Alpine vs JBL vs Hertz and buy what suits you best.

BTW what car is this for?
Old 28th August 2006, 10:04   #3
BANNED

Quote:

(d) I am planning for Alpine Coax, Alpine 6X9 , Audiobahn/JBL ported sub
You've got the best answers for all your question it seems.

Now, for the components: Just close your eyes and buy Hertz DSK165 or ESK 165. They're one of the best speakers I've heard in this budget.
Forget the 6X9s. Get 6.5" co-axials for the rear.
Buy JBL 1204 or Hertz E300 series Subwoofer.

Budget? It can be pocketed for a bit more than your 25k! (25k was meant to overshot right?)
Old 28th August 2006, 11:19   #4

Quote:
No, not when you have a sub. Get a matching set of 5.25"/6.5" coaxial speakers from the same series as your front comps.

So thats it, I will go for coax at the rear.

Quote:
Get the JBL sub, not the Audiobahn. As for speakers get a demo of Alpine vs JBL vs Hertz and buy what suits you best.

BTW what car is this for?

I will go in for a demo as suggested, but can u explain why u said no to an Audiobahn?

And yes this is for an Indigo Marina.

Quote:
Now, for the components: Just close your eyes and buy Hertz DSK165 or ESK 165. They're one of the best speakers I've heard in this budget.
Forget the 6X9s. Get 6.5" co-axials for the rear.
Buy JBL 1204 or Hertz E300 series Subwoofer

Yes will do that, but where can I get a Demo of all this in delhi?

And most Imp what Amp should I go for? Pioneer seems to be slightly cheaper in grey market are these amps ok? If so which model?
Old 28th August 2006, 11:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will go in for a demo as suggested, but can u explain why u said no to an Audiobahn?
Yes will do that, but where can I get a Demo of all this in delhi?
And most Imp what Amp should I go for? Pioneer seems to be slightly cheaper in grey market are these amps ok? If so which model?
You can get a demo of all these including Audiobahn at Driven, located in mayapuri. He is also a TBHP member so you can PM Driven.

I said no to Audiobahn purely based on personal preference. Do get a demo though and if you like it, more power to you. Just that based on your musical preferences, I dont think its what you would like.

Yes, Pioneer amps are great for the money you pay for them. Their HUs are good VFM too. Cant say that about their speakers I'm afraid.
Old 28th August 2006, 12:13   #6

hai prakash,
go for one 4-ch for front compo n back compo/6X9 co-axil speakers
and one mono/2-ch for sub

and what ever u planing for alpine hu n spekers in ur budget is not possible because alpine sys r very expensive

go for silicon 4-ch for 4800/-
jvc 2-ch for 3800/-
pioneer HU for 9600/-
rockford compos for 7800/-
rockford 6X9 co-axies for 4800/-
rockford woofer for 4800/-
install kit around for 4000/-
total around 45000/-

it will give u damm good music
best of luck
Old 28th August 2006, 13:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
I said no to Audiobahn purely based on personal preference. Do get a demo though and if you like it, more power to you. Just that based on your musical preferences, I dont think its what you would like.
I'm sorry to ask, but from your evaluation of Audiobahn, what sort of music do you think Audiobahn subwoofers would most suit?

And when you say Audiobahn wouldn't suit this particular application, do you mean to say that all of the Audiobahn subs would not suit this particular requirement? Remember they have about 13 lines.

And if none of the 13 lines can play rock etc. then does it mean that all of the 13 plus lines have been designed with the same philosophy, just named and priced differently. Hence their specs should also be alike?
Old 28th August 2006, 17:23   #8
BANNED

There comes B&T!!
I was just waiting for you to come in and comment something about this.

I did'nt like some Subs from Audiobahn. They did'nt sound good to me. But Then I heard Karthik247's Audiobahn Subs and they sounded ok. But the tuning as not right in that car. Maybe my expectation was something higher than what I got from Audiobahn.
But these were all based on my personal tastes.

Some of my friends are very satisfied with audiobahns. So it depends more on personal tastes, right??
Old 28th August 2006, 18:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
I'm sorry to ask, but from your evaluation of Audiobahn, what sort of music do you think Audiobahn subwoofers would most suit?

And when you say Audiobahn wouldn't suit this particular application, do you mean to say that all of the Audiobahn subs would not suit this particular requirement? Remember they have about 13 lines.

And if none of the 13 lines can play rock etc. then does it mean that all of the 13 plus lines have been designed with the same philosophy, just named and priced differently. Hence their specs should also be alike?
a. It is MY opinion and I clearly remember mentioning that in my subsequent post. There may or may not be ANY reasoning behind it.

b. For the money Prakash is willing to spend, I think he has better options. I say this having personally used and installed Audiobahn.

c. I asked him to audition Audiobahn as well, and if he likes em, more power to him.

d. Lastly, I dont respect Audiobahn as a company. I dont like their products. And whenever I am asked my opinion I will give exactly that; my opinion. Dont take it personally.
Old 29th August 2006, 00:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:

d. Lastly, I dont respect Audiobahn as a company. I dont like their products. And whenever I am asked my opinion I will give exactly that; my opinion. Dont take it personally.
To some extent he is right, to some extent not,
Yeah as a company they are not very focussed, I have first hand experience as we Import Audiobahn, they have lot of Backorder Issues and some products have performance Issues too, models I dont want to name.

The good part is some of the stuff comes really cheap and sounds pretty good for the price.

For Example We sell both 12" Kicker L7s and and Audiobahn Eternal 12" subs,

The Eternals beat the L7 hands down on a price/performance ratio, but on the clarity and practicaity front the L7s are better,
-> clarity wise L7s are quite tight, Audiobahn Eternals are a LOOOT of Bass but not as clear as a L7 but much cheaper.
-> Practicality - L7s can run in a 1.75 CuFt ported Enclosure, whereas to get the right juice out of the AB's you need 2.5 CuFt Ported Enclosure, which takes up a load of space considering our cars.

Price - Kicker 12" L7 MRP with B/W - Rs 28000
Audiobahn Eternal 12" MRP with B/W - Rs 21000

Power - Kicker 12" L7 = 750 RMS DVC
Audiobahn Eternal 12" = 1100 RMS DVC

Kicker can take pure juice of 1500 RMS and survive,
Audiobahn cant take pure Juice of 2200 RMS and survive, but considering the price,its good and it will take 1700 RMS well, Any above that is dangerous. But can you really use even 1500 RMS and still listen to music ? the backseat becomes more of a Body massager (with ear plugs on of course ).

So there are different ways of looking at it, some products By audiobahn are overhyped, some are not priced High but Perform, like the Audiobahn AW122N 12" sub. Dont wanna mention pricing as it will become Brand promotion,
KICKER rocks overall, very consistent performance, but I don't like their speakers, nothing great.
Old 29th August 2006, 01:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929RON
Price - Kicker 12" L7 MRP with B/W - Rs 28000
Audiobahn Eternal 12" MRP with B/W - Rs 21000
929RON

I respect your opinion. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is just that for that much money I wouldnt pick either of those subs. And I know of other subs that cost as much and suit my listening tastes better. There is no debate here. It is just that I dont like how the L7 and the Eternal sound. Now many people would agree or disagree with me, but this is my opinion.

Just for the record, subs I like:
Pure SQ: iDQ12, Seas Lotus SW250, Hertz Mille ML300
SQL: iDMax, Seas Lotus SW300, Hertz Mille ML380
There are some old school JBL, Kicker, Veoldyne, JL etc that would make it to that list but are no longer manufactured...

Disclaimer: Our company represent the Hertz, iD and Seas Lotus brands in India. So though the above models were mentioned to clarify my taste and preference, know that I may be biased towards these products. (added by navin, text provided by gunbir see posts below)

Last edited by navin : 29th August 2006 at 10:46.
Old 29th August 2006, 09:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

Gunbir, which on the brands you like do you represent. I think a disclaimer might be nesscary.
Old 29th August 2006, 10:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sure thing Navinji.

Quote:
Just for the record, subs I like:
Pure SQ: iDQ12, Seas Lotus SW250, Hertz Mille ML300
SQL: iDMax, Seas Lotus SW300, Hertz Mille ML380
Disclaimer: Our company represent the Hertz, iD and Seas Lotus brands in India. So though the above models were mentioned to clarify my taste and preference, know that I may be biased towards these products.
Old 29th August 2006, 10:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Disclaimer: Our company represent the Hertz, iD and Seas Lotus brands in India. So though the above models were mentioned to clarify my taste and preference, know that I may be biased towards these products.
As a Retailer if you are passionate about your products that is great, one has to believe in what he sells to succeed.
I can already see what your taste Sound effect is from your selections, and yeah it differs from person to person,
I don't say at all that I like the L7 or the Eternal as the Best subs, just that they are one of the loudest in that pricerange.
Unfortunately I have never heard the IDMax subs at all, none sell In Bangalore and I did not see any friend having it in USA, though it sells a lot more there than here, most distrubutors are unable to get the subs to buy even there.
Will see them in action sometime maybe

Gunbir : Have you sold an IDMAX to anyone in bangalore or know anyone who has one ?

Last edited by 929RON : 29th August 2006 at 10:20.
Old 29th August 2006, 10:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

For me IDMAX only.....

Waiting for it so that I can hook it up and play it lound and clear.......lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks