Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2006, 15:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, I too have been a fan of experimentation over following some textbook principles.

As far as the Teamrocs article is concerned, those blokes have (supposedly) the best in-car response with not only the subs facing the trunk lid, but also with the sub enclosure sitting as close to the tailgate as possible. Now isn't this absolutely impractical in a car, cos in this scenario, you have the enclosure sitting pretty much on top of the spare wheel. Also, what an ugly sight!
Old 11th May 2006, 15:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hmm I think positioning does make a lot of difference, me & my friend have got same config the only diff being, he has got his sub in his Santro's Tray(wooden permanent fixed tray) while I have got it in my Alto's Dicky in an enclosed & I think ported(it has two holes diagonally below the sub) & this box is placed below the Speakers which are mounted on a heavy but removable tray.

Hmm right now the sub is facing front i.e. towards driver, So as per the discussion if I make it face toward the boot door it would make a difference ?? Also my Pioner 7650 has an option for SW which reads Rev, does it have to do with this ?
Old 28th August 2006, 19:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

What direction should the sub face/fire (in the boot)?

OK, this is not a trick question. I have my 12" Kenwood WF305 in a ported box in my palio's boot. I've positioned it so it fires sideways, i.e. the box is fixed with it's back against the right side of the boot, with the sub facing the left side of the boot. I've kept it this way because I found by trial-and-error that this set-up sound the best to me (less boomy, with more detail). I'm a SQ guy and not an SPL guy. I listen to all kinds of music, right from Oldies & Jazz to Heavy/Hard Rock and (very little) Hip-Hop.

I've been meaning to upgrade the sub (and the amp that drives it - a Blau GTA250) to a Velocity VB300 Passive sub (sub-in-a-box) & Blau THA1400 Amp. The sub box is designed so it fires towards the boot opening, with it's back snug against the back seat's angle. Now, nearly every sub-in-a-box install and every passive sub from good brands seem to follow this same design. This is what got me thinking.

Now coming to the question (at last), is the right way of firing a sub (in the boot) to turn it (fire it) towards the back of the car (towards the boot opening)? Why (without drowning me in technicality)? So is there something wrong with my current set-up, that's causing it to not sound as good as it is capable of?

I did some research on the net, and found that something called the system Q (duh!) is at it's best/optimal when thet sub is fired towards the boot opening (according to guys who had a lot of graphs to show for it - more duhhhhh!!!!).

How do you pro-installers usually do your install? Is the direction determined by convenience (from car to car), or is there a reason why you direct a sub in a particular direction?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th August 2006, 22:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

This would be interesting to know. Our sub in the Innova is placed sideways (the pressure outlet is very close to the side wall - very similar to Hydrashok's setup) will this affect quality?

Will moving the sub towards the center improve it's depth?

Shan2nu
Old 28th August 2006, 23:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

normally facing backwards toward the boot door does the best job...

There was topic in this section highly debated.......

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ight=subwoofer

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 28th August 2006 at 23:24.
Old 29th August 2006, 00:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

trying inverting it and facing it towards the rear seat...but at an angle...like facing the woofer to the dicky floor but towards the rear seat...so say 35 degrees from the floor.had seen it in a friends zen...gives thumping bass...ofcoure you need heavy duty amps to go with it
Old 29th August 2006, 00:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

While firing the sub towards the hatch/boot works best most of tha time, there is NO one way thats best. It all depends on your car, equipment, music etc. The only way to really know whats best for you is with trial and error. Then stick to the position that sounds best.... to you!
Old 29th August 2006, 08:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

check out the link by lbm. I have tried placing mine firing at the cabin and teh hatch opning. The later one gave more bass.

OT; your install looks neat. Wher was it done at?

Last edited by jkdas : 29th August 2006 at 08:19.
Old 29th August 2006, 08:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the response, folks.

lbm, thanks for the link. Very useful. I should have made a more detailed search earlier I guess.

jkdas, I got my install done at the blaupunkt showroom on the byepass, near Vyttila. Guy called George did the install. He used to be Zuheimi's (of Emperor, palarivatom, kochi) assistant loooong back. He's alright and very friendly, except that he takes a whole lot of time.

I haven't tried facing-the-seat yet. Guess I'll try it out today and give it a spin for a coupla days with my fave music.
Old 29th August 2006, 11:46   #25
BHPian

Any positioning tips for a JBL CS1204T BaseTube
Old 29th August 2006, 11:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareone
Any positioning tips for a JBL CS1204T BaseTube

as you have a santro I thing u dont have a option but to try the two possible options and see which suits you best........
Old 29th August 2006, 12:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
In Infinte baffle Firstly the sub should be that type.
Quote:
For lay man the pioneer people call them free air use.
If u use a enclousre type sub in a free are applicaton the power handling is reduced to 25 %.It means that a 100 watts rms sub will be able to handle only 25 watts rms power only because of little restrction of air is there which sub make when it moves. also the xmax of the sub is easliy acheived in such low power. hence less efficency. This is all true for a encloure sub. But the free sub the above theory fails. They are degsined to play in a IB configration. But beware if is very difficult to seal the boot or the back side of the sub from the front side.I myself has used this configration in my esteem very long back. will post some pics if i find them.
could anyone please clear the air on what is a free air sub & what is the other one called ? how do we differentiate between the two ? please tell me in layman terms how i can find out what sub is mine.
Old 29th August 2006, 12:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
could anyone please clear the air on what is a free air sub & what is the other one called ? how do we differentiate between the two ? please tell me in layman terms how i can find out what sub is mine.
Hi esteem_lover.

A free air sub is one that works well on a parcel tray/shelf, without a dabba.

Not every sub can do that.
Old 29th August 2006, 13:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hi esteem_lover.

A free air sub is one that works well on a parcel tray/shelf, without a dabba.

Not every sub can do that.
hi sam,
so is that a better sub ? and how do i find out whether my sub (Presently in an enclosure) is a free air one or not ?? and how is the brand new dilli & whats going on there ? any chance of having an iddli in dilli yet ?

Last edited by esteem_lover : 29th August 2006 at 13:10.
Old 29th August 2006, 13:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
so is that a better sub ? and how do i find out whether my sub (Presently in an enclosure) is a free air one or not ??
there is no bad or good sub ( i am not talking about sony subs I am refering good sub like jbl) it all depends on the listen choices....

The sub is which type is clearly mentioned on the spec sheet supplied with the sub ......

U can give us the model number so that we can telll u is that it is a free air or not......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks