Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2016, 15:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-post-installation-2.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-home-screen.jpg

Replaced the Android HU in my Polo GT TSi with the DS611. This HU is a replica of the RNS510 which is used in many VW cars. Decided to use the long weekend to install the HU and also complete this thread.

Let me start with the Pros and Cons of the HU.

Pros:
Being a replica of RNS510, has a very good OE look
Integrated TPMS
Supports reverse camera with dynamci guidelines and optical parking
Displays many system parameters like fuel in tank, coolant temperature, ambient temperature, door open status etc in one screen
Comes with in built navigation
Phone mirror function

Cons:
Does not support iPod
Not able to pause music or change tracks in A2DP
Very simple folder based browser for music. No option to list music based on albums, artists etc
The fader control is mirrored. If I move the fader to extreme right, the sound actually moves to the left channel. This could be because the HU is designed for LHD cars.
Does not come with Sygic maps for India. Sygic displays navigation information on instrument cluster in cars that have the advanced MID
Not sure how effective IGO8 maps are in India
Being a chinese developed unit, has poor language – like “Mile Age” for Odometer, “Residual Oil” for Fuel in Tank, “Unconnected” for Bluetooth Disconnected etc.

I would like to thank:
  • TBHPian “VW2010” who first brought up this HU in various Jetta threads. He also is the first to install this in his Jetta and provide first hand information on the working of the system.
  • TBHPian “Tanveer_2558” for negotiating a very good deal with the vendor
  • Gannu_1 for his RCD510 DIY thread which had crucial information on the pin out of the ISO and Quadlock connectors that helped me in making my own wiring harness
  • TBHPian “batterylow” for bringing his Nexus 6P phone to test the phone mirroring feature

Disclaimer:
I do not have any affilitiation to Audiosources, the manufacturer of the HU. This review is based on my own experience with the HU. I do not know the long term reliability or how good or bad the support is from the vendor post sales.

Problems Faced During Installation:
  • I needed an ISO to Quadlock cable harness, but the vendor had sent the wrong cable assembly. Solved this issue by building a custom cable harness.
  • The radio connector in the HU is dual, whereas the connector in the Polo GT’s wiring is single. I have ordered radio harness cable from AliExpress. Till I receive this cable, the radio is not functional.
  • The TPMS sensors were marked in Chinese. Used Google translate to figure out the markings

Why DS611

Before this, I had an Android HU in my Polo GT. Details of this installation can be found here.

Android HU Installation

The Android HU was perfectly fine. It was loaded with features, had a very responsive capacitive touch screen, vibrant display, and being an Android platform was very flexible. For any problem, I could find a solution in the Google PlayStore or hack the android system files – like screen lock, auto play on startup, calibrate reverse camera guidelines for the car etc. However, there were minor inconveniences (I am nitpicking here), like long startup time of 45 seconds, not able to see tire pressure on the HU (the TPMS app for some reason would not work on the HU), and a little noisy bluetooth call. Other than these, the HU was excellent in all aspects.

I had just got used to the small inconveniences, when I saw VW2010 mentioning about the DS811 (similar to DS611, but with a larger screen) in various Jetta threads. He also ordered and got it installed on his Jetta, and provided very positive feedback about the features (though he had some issues on his HU which the vendors supported well to resolve).

I then watched many online video reviews of this HU and was impressed with the features and how the HU integrated in the car, the short start up time, lot of car information, in built navigation, TPMS etc. I then decided to bite the bullet.

Purchase process:

DS611 is made by AudioSources. The website is www.audiosources.net. But they do not have a direct online purchase. Another GT TSi owner gave me the contact number of a seller’s sales representative, and I got in touch with her. Below was the best price she gave me.

DS611 HU - $285
TPMS - $75
VW Mic - $15
FedEx Shipping - $75

At the same time TBHPian Tanveer_2558 also got in touch with another sales representative and got a better deal than what I got and I took that deal. This is the buying procedure I followed:
  • Place the order in AliExpress, and add a note about the negotiated price. Do not make payment yet
  • The vendor adjusts the price and sends you a notification
  • Pay the adjusted price to complete the purchase

I bought the following items:
  • DS611
  • TPMS system
  • VW mic. As I had upgraded the cabin light, original VW mic would integrate well into the cabin light assembly. But I found that the in built mic is much better than the VW mic.

The vendor shipped the HU via FedEx. I received the HU in a week and luckily no customs duty!

Last edited by graaja : 12th September 2016 at 19:25. Reason: DS611 (RNS510 Replica) HU Installation in Polo GT TSi
graaja is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 15:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Package Content and Custom Cable

Package Content:

Following were the content of the package.

DS611 HU. There are two SD card slots on the front. The one on the right is for music storage, and the one on the left which has the QC sticker is for IGO8 maps.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-hu.jpg

DS611 (left) with the outgoing Android HU (right). Both look equally good.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-ds611-android.jpg

TPMS system
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-tpms.jpg

VW Mic
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-mic.jpg

Cables – GPS cable, USB cables, Aux input cable, Pre-out cable, and Video input cable
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-accessory-cables.jpg

Main cable. Will give more details on this in the next section.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-cable-assembly.jpg

Cable Assembly:

The DS611 is a plug and play replacement for the RCD510 found in Jetta. It has the same quadlock connector as found in the RCD510. However, Polo GT TSi comes with RCD320 that has ISO connectors and hence needs an adapter cable. I had clearly mentioned this to the vendor and they had promised to send me the right adapter cable. The vendor had made this cable set.

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-vendors-cable.jpg

However, the packaging guy packed the wrong cable that had quadlock connector on one side and some other connector on the other side.

Quadlock connector on one end
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-quadlock-connector.jpg

Some unknown connector on the other end. This will not fit the ISO connectors in the Polo GT.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-unknown-connector.jpg

I hit a brick wall. In order to complete the installation, the power cable is a must, and I had two options.
  1. Wait for the vendor to send the cable
  2. Order an ISO to Quadlock cable from AliExpress

Both the options would mean a delay of 3 to 4 weeks in installing. Not acceptable.

This is when Gannu’s RCD510 DIY thread came to my rescue. He had given the signal details of both the quadlock connector and the ISO connectors in his RCD510 thread. So I decided to go with Option #3 – to make my own cable harness.

I bought a ISO connector from the local auto electric shop.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-iso-connector.jpg

I cut out the unknown type connector from the power cable that the vendor had sent and spliced the wires from the ISO connector to the wires from the quadlock connector.

The wires in the brown ISO connector were perfect match including color to the ones on the quadlock connector. On the black connector following were the connections required.
  1. Black wire on ISO to black wire on quadlock – Supply GND
  2. Yellow wire on ISO to yellow wire on quadlock – Supply +ve
  3. Move orange wire on ISO from pin 3 to pin 5, and connect to CAN- on quadlock.
  4. Move red wire on ISO from pin 4 to pin 2, and connect to CAN+ on quadlock.

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-iso-connector-modification.jpg

Removing the two wires from pins 3 and 4 on the ISO connector was very difficult. The ISO connector I got was completely molded and I had to use a drill to remove the plastic that held the terminals.

Wire spliced. I soldered the joints after splicing.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-splicing.jpg

I then used heat shrink tube to seal the spliced joints. These have to be slid to the wires before splicing.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-spliced-heat-shrunk.jpg

Then I used TESA tape to cover all the spliced wires. Custom harness ready!
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-completed-cable-assembly.jpg

Important Note:

For the Jetta which already has RCD510 (or in Polos that have upgraded to RCD510), there is no need for any cable adapter. The existing wiring will have a quadlock connector that will be a direct fit. But if you plan to upgrade the RCD320 in a Vento or Polo, then you need this wiring adapter. If you are not confident in pulling the splicing job, make sure you get the vendor to ship the right wiring harness or, order it in advance from AliExpress. Below is one link from AliExpress for the ISO to Quadlock wiring harness (Thanks Gannu for providng the link)

ISO to Quadlock Adaptor

Even this adaptor will require a small modification to fix the CAN bus signals. Details on this modification can be found in below post from Gannu’s RCD510 thread.

Modification to Quadlock Cable Assembly

Last edited by graaja : 12th September 2016 at 19:51.
graaja is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 16:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Installation

Installation:

Next step was the installation. Below picture shows the connectors on the rear side of the HU.

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-rear-connections.jpg
  1. Quadlock connector that has speaker signals, supply and CAN signals – Check. Got the custom ISO to quadlock cable
  2. Accessories connector. This has the connections to pre-out signals, reverse camera, USB cables etc. – Check. Got all the accessories cable packed with the HU
  3. USB out. This can be used to connect to VW USB/Aux port that can be fixed inside the glove box.
  4. Radio antenna connector. Oops. Got a problem
  5. GPS antenna connector – Check. Got the GPS cable

Hit another wall with the radio antenna connector. As you can see in the picture, the radio connector on the HU has dual pins. But the wiring in Polo GT has a single pin connector. So, I needed a single pin to dual pin radio harness for the antenna. Gannu has explained this in his RCD510 thread. Somehow, I missed this one. Because of this, the radio is not yet functional in my HU. I have placed the order for the radio harness. Will fit it once I get it.

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-radio-harness.jpg

Here is the link to the radio harness (thanks Gannu for providing the link)

Radio Harness

Following are the high level steps involved in installation.

Remove the glove box. This is required to route the GPS antenna cable, mic cable and securing the TPMS receiver behind the glove box. I followed Gannu’s below post for this.

Steps to remove glove box

Glove box removed.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-glove-box-removed.jpg

Remove the existing HU. I have shown the steps in the below post in my Android HU installation thread.

Steps to remove the HU

Disconnect existing HU.

Connect the ISO connectors in the car’s wiring harness to the ISO connector on the custom adapter cable harness. Connect the quadlock connector to the HU.

Route the mic cable behind the glove box, through the A pillar to the cabin light assembly. Connect the mic cable to the HU. The mic cable goes into an opening in the the quadlock connector, as seen below. Mic connector should be fixed after fixing the quadlock connector. The spare slot near the mic connector is for the Aux cable.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-quadlock-connector.jpg

Route the GPS antenna behind glove box and fix it on the left corner near the A-pillar
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-gps-antenna-fixed.jpg

Connect the reverse camera signal to the video input connector assembly.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-rear-camera-.jpg

I have explained the reverse camera installation in below post.

Reverse camera installation

Route the TPMS receiver cable behind the glovebox, and fix it there. The TPMS receiver has a label that instructs to fit the receiver at least 50cms away from the HU.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-tpms-instruction.jpg

So, I chose this location behind the glove box.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-tpms-location.jpg

I put the receiver inside a bubble sheet and tied it to the glove box frame using cable ties. Not an elegant solution, but does the job.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-tpms-fixed.jpg

Below picture shows all the cables plugged in. Notice the radio connector hanging loose. This will get connected once I receive the dual pin radio connector.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-all-cables-plugged.jpg

Work in progress picture.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-work-progress.jpg

Turn on the ignition and check if the HU is turning on. Play some songs and make sure all the speaker connections are fine. Also check steering controls to make sure CAN signals are fine.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-trial.jpg

Fix the HU back to its slot.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-hu-fixed.jpg

Fix the glovebox, clean up everything and the installation is done.

This is how the dashboard looks with the new HU.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-post-installation-2.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-post-installation-1.jpg

Last edited by graaja : 12th September 2016 at 19:56.
graaja is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 17:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

TPMS Installation:

The next step was to install the TPMS sensors. These sensors are internal sensors and need to be fixed inside the wheels, and the wheels have to be balanced as well. This has to be done in a tire shop.

Hit another wall here - albeit a small one. The TPMS sensors had chinese markup.

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-chinese-marking.jpg

Needed to figure out which sensor goes into which wheel. Used Google translate and matched the symbols.

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-chinese-translation-front.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-chinese-translation-rear.jpg

Once this was done, I headed to the tire shop to get the sensors fixed. As I was driving, the lady inside the HU kept on reminding me of deflated tires. She did not know that the sensors were still inside the box

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-tire-deflation-warning.jpg

Got the sensors fit inside the wheels. In my excitement, I did not take pictures of the process. However, I am adding pictures from the previous TPMS installation for reference.

Wheels removed
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-wheel-removed.jpg

Sensor fit to the wheel
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-sensor-fixed.jpg

Wheel balancing done
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-wheel-balancing.jpg

Once all the wheels were fit, the pressure values started appearing one by one on the HU screen. Took about 5 minutes for all the pressure values to appear. This was the final result.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-tpms-information.jpg

The TPMS parameters can be configured by opening “Tyre Setup” window from the main TPMS screen. In this screen, we can configure the units, low and high limits for pressure alarm and low and high limits for temperature alarm.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-tpms-setup.jpg

Now tire pressure is displayed on the home screen.

When pressure goes outside the high and low limits, the HU gives a warning both audio and visual. TPMS is superbly integrated in this HU.

Last edited by graaja : 12th September 2016 at 20:00.
graaja is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 17:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

HU Features

HU Features:

It is going to be very difficult to show all the features, I will try to capture most of them.

Startup screen:
When the ignition is turned on, the VW logo splash screen comes up. This is similar to the one on RCD510.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-opening-screen.jpg

Home screen:
After the startup screen the HU switches to the last used screen. Pressing the MENU button brings up the home screen.

This screen shows many system related information including tire pressure and temperature, volume of fuel in tank, coolant temperature, engine RPM, speed, battery voltage and odometer. Though all this information is available on the instrument cluster, one has to browse to various pages in the instrument cluster to see engine temperature, outside temperature etc. But all the information is available in one screen on the HU. Having said that, while driving, I did not pay attention to the home screen.

Pressing Menu icon on the home screen opens the main menu. From this menu all other features can be accessed.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-main-menu.jpg

Info Screen:
This screen also shows the same information that is available on the home screen but in a different layout.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-car-info-screen.jpg

Media Player:
Pressing the MEDIA button brings up the media screen. Here we can choose various sources like USB, SD card or the disc.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-media-player.jpg

List of sources. Unfortunately iPod is not supported (though an option is there). This screen is what I got when I had connected my iPod to the HU. I checked with the vendor and they confirmed that only their AS series of their HU's which are Win CE based, support iPod interface.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-source-select.jpg

Music can be browsed using the list button. Browsing interface is a simple folder based interface. It does not give you options to browse based on albums, artists etc.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-media-player-browsing.jpg

Radio:
Due to lack of antenna I could not test the Radio performance. Here is the picture of how the radio looks, just for reference. Once I get the radio harness that I have ordered, I will write about radio reception.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-radio.jpg

System Settings:
Pressing the SETUP key opens up the Settings screen.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-settings.jpg

System setup #1. That sweet (or annoying) voice that warns about open doors can be enabled or disabled here.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-system-setup-1.jpg

System setup #2
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-system-setup-2.jpg

Factory Settings requires a password. The password is 785168.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-factory-setting-password.jpg

Factory Settings #1
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-factory-setting.jpg

Startup logo selection
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-factory-setting-logo-selection.jpg

Bluetooth and A2DP:

Bluetooth pairing is straightforward. Once paired, the main screen shows the phone name and 6 storage slots for speed dial.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-bluetooth-main-screen.jpg

Pressing the PhoneBook button downloads the phone book. The download happens every time the phone is connected. This is a little irritating, but the download is quite fast.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-phone-book-import.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-phone-book.jpg

Playing a song on the phone displays song information on the HU under A2DP screen. I do not know what A2DP is supposed to do. But I was not able to pause music or advance tracks from the HU.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-a2dp.jpg

Phone calls can be made by dialing from the key pad as well.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-bluetooth-keypad.jpg

Initially, the gain from the mic was very low and the person on the other side was not able to hear me properly. I contacted the vendor and they asked me to increase the mic gain in the factory setting screen. I set the gain to 99 and now the voice is very clear.

Reverse camera:

When reverse gear is engaged, the reverse camera video gets enabled.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-reverse-camera.jpg

Dynamic guidelines that follow the steering angle. The straight lines are superimposed by the camera. Because of this there are two sets of guidelines. This is a little distracting and irritating.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-reverse-camera-dynamic.jpg

The screen can show both video and OPS
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-reverse-camera-ops.jpg

Only OPS
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-ops.jpg

I do not have CAN bus based optical sensors. Hence nothing is being shown on the OPS. I plan to upgrade the reverse parking sensors to CAN based ones so that OPS is displayed on reversing.

Sound Quality and Equalizer:

I am not an audiophile. So I cannot comment on very fine details on sound quality. But I felt that the sound was as good as the Android HU, which was better than the stock RCD320, but a little less than the RCD510.

The Equalizer is very simple with only 4 frequency ranges - Sub woofer, Bass, Mid and Treble. As I do not have a sub-woofer, I get only 3 controls.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-equalizer.jpg

The fader controls the balance between the speakers. The strange thing with the fader is that when I move it all the way to right, the sound actually moves left. This should be because this HU was designed for LHD cars.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-fader.jpg

For people looking to add external amplifier and sub-woofer, the HU has the following pre-out signals - rear right, rear left, front right, front left and subwoofer. But there is no crossover setting for subwoofer.

Last edited by graaja : 12th September 2016 at 21:53.
graaja is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 18:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Navigation

Navigation:

In other countries, the HU comes loaded with Sygic navigation. The advantage of Sygic is that it displays navigation information on the home screen of the HU and also on the instrument cluster – the high end instrument clusters used in Jetta. However, for India, they do not have Sygic, only IGO8 that does not display navigation info on the MID.

Pressing the NAV button on the right side loads the navigation application. It takes about 15 seconds to load.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-navigation-loading.jpg

Home screen
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-navigation-home-screen.jpg

Find address screen where the state, city, street name and house number can be entered.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-enter-address.jpg

Clicking on each of these elements opens a keyboard.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-keypad-enter-address.jpg

Entering partial name and pressing the “Done” button opens a list of suggestions to choose from.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-options-listed.jpg

Once the destination is chosen, it is shown on the map.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-destination-summary.jpg

Pressing “Set as Destination” opens navigation.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-navigation.jpg

Route preferences.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-route-options.jpg

Route settings can be used to set road type preferences and route planning preferences
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-route-settings.jpg

Road types to be used.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-road-preference.jpg

From the navigation screen use detour option to select various POIs.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-poi.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-poi-1.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-poi-2.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-poi-3.jpg

Route information
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-route-information.jpg

Warning settings
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-warning-settings.jpg

Other settings like day/night mode, sound etc.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-other-settings.jpg

I have not used the navigation feature enough to be able to comment on the accuracy, coverage and route planning of IGO8. If I find IGO8 is not that good for India, I can always go to Google Maps using the phone mirror function –about this in the next section.

Last edited by graaja : 12th September 2016 at 21:03.
graaja is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 18:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

Phone Mirroring and Conclusion

Phone Mirroring:

One of the key features of the HU is MirrorLink. Before I got the HU, I had done some reading on Mirror Link and their website listed only the flagship models of Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG and Fujitsu as the phones that officially support MirrorLink. I have a Motorola Moto G and this was not in the list of supported phones. So, even before I bought the HU, I knew MirrorLink will not work for me.

However, I wanted to test the feature and asked TBHPian “batterylow” who stays near me. He had a Nexus 6P which was a high end phone, but still not in the MirrorLink list. We decided to plug it in anyway, and discovered something amazing.

The manufacturer has developed an android App (I guess similar app for iPhone should be there as well) which installed on an Android phone enables phone mirroring even if the phone does not support MirrorLink. We installed this App on his Nexus 6P and found it to be working very good. We were even able to watch YouTube videos, chat on WhatsApp, use the camera, Gmail and also Google Maps.

I then tried this with my Motorolo Moto G. And here is how it works.

Plug in the phone to the Phone Mirror USB connector (this is part of the USB cable). Go to Menu from home screen and select “Phone Link”.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-main-menu.jpg

The HU first asks you to enable “USB Debug” under developer options. If you already do not have this, first go to Settings -> About Phone and tap the build number 7 times. This will enable Developer Options. Then go to Developer Options and enable USB debug.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-usb-debug-enable.jpg

Once USB debug is enabled, the HU shows a green tick on connection status and prompts to install interconnect service.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-install-application.jpg

It then shows a QR code.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-qr-code.jpg

I installed a QR code reader and this downloaded an android application file from vendors website. Some screen shots from the phone.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-download.png

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-installing.png

And finally, the phone mirror home screen on phone.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-drive-mode-home-phone.png

The same screen on the HU. I feel this screen is quite dull compared to all other screens on the HU.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-phone-mirror-home.jpg

The screen has telephone, music and navigation options and also 3 spare slots to add applications. Clicking on one of these slots opens the list of available applications that can be added. This list is quite big including Gmail, WhatsApp, YouTube, Calculator and many more.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone Mirror Home.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	1553463

Phone mirrored.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-phone-mirrored.jpg

Google Maps

When you first click on Navigation, it first prompts to select the navigation app. For me only Google Maps was available as an option. Once I selected Google Maps, and opened navigation again, I was able to use Google Maps on the HU.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-google-maps-1.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-google-maps-2.jpg

Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-google-maps-3.jpg

Though I did not get to test the HU with iPhone, saw the below screen that indicates that the HU supports iPhone as well.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-apple-android.jpg

The Drive Mode icon on the main screen enables voice commands. You could talk something like “Call Ganesh”, and the HU (or maybe the phone) recognizes and shows you options. This worked well in batterylow’s Nexus 6P, but was not that good in my Moto G. Maybe high end phones with fast processors work well.

Small Yet Significant Things:
  1. The startup time is quite short compared to the Android HU. The system boots up in about 15 seconds and starts playing, whereas Android HU used to take upto a minute to do so.
  2. When you open any of the doors, the HU gives a voice prompt that “driver door is open” or “passenger door is open” etc. This looks like a good party trick, but could get irritating sometime when you have four people opening the four doors.
  3. When mute is enabled from the steering control, the song that is being played also pauses, and continues to play when unmuted. This is one feature that I missed in the Android HU.

Future Modifications:

Following is the list of modifications I plan to do in the future for the HU.

Install USB/Aux connector either inside the glove box or in the center console near the 12V socket.
Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi-usb-aux.jpg

Install flip type camera with logo in the boot. The present camera is fit above the number plate and has a very restricted angle of view.

Conclusion:

That’s all I have for now. If you plan to get this system, a few points to note.
  1. Make sure you get the correct main cable assembly. If you already have RCD510, then there should be no issue as the same quadlock connector will be a direct fit. But if you have a Polo or Vento that has RCD320 with ISO connectors, make sure to ask the vendor to send the right cable, or to be on safe side, order the ISO to quadlock harness.
  2. Make sure you get the right radio harness. If you already have RCD510, then there should be no issue. But if you have a Polo or Vento that has single connector, make sure to get the single to dual radio harness.
  3. The VW mic is not required. The HU has a mic on its front side and the quality is quite good.
  4. There is another model DS811 that has the same feature set, but with a larger screen, smaller buttons and the control knobs on the top. I chose DS611 as it looked more OE.

Based on first impressions, I am very happy with the features in the HU. Hope the long term reliability is good as well. As I start using the system, I am sure I will discover new features or bugs. Will share these details as I find them.

Overall, a long weekend well spent!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by graaja : 12th September 2016 at 21:12.
graaja is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 07:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

re: Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the In-Car Entertainment Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 10:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Phone Mirroring and Conclusion

Hi graaja, this looks like a very good HU. Congratulations! And your thread with all the details is as awesome as your Android HU thread! Thanks for taking time to give all the details here. Rated 5 stars!

By the way, how does the HU read the fuel level? And how accurate it is? I am asking because I use Torque Pro (along with an OBDII reader) and I found that in my car, the ECU does not give a direct readout of the fuel level. The fuel level is calculated by subtracting cumulative fuel consumption from the fuel tank capacity. Thus, this works only if Torque is running 100% of the time when the engine is running (else it will not know the total fuel consumption). On Googling, I found that most cars sold in India do not have ECU readouts for fuel level. But looks like VW does have a readout for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Phone Mirroring:
The manufacturer has developed an android App (I guess similar app for iPhone should be there as well) which installed on an Android phone enables phone mirroring even if the phone does not support MirrorLink. We installed this App on his Nexus 6P and found it to be working very good. We were even able to watch YouTube videos, chat on WhatsApp, use the camera, Gmail and also Google Maps.
This is exactly how it is with the Android HU also. When I bought mine, I thought they have the official MirrorLink app (the HU product page mentioned MirrorLink). When I tested it, I realized they have the same app you mentioned, which is not the official MirrorLink app, but some other method of emulating the same functionality. Actually it works better I would say, since the official MirrorLink app has very limited compatibility with phones and apps as of now.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 13:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Installed! Audiosources DS611 head-unit in my Polo GT TSi

WOW!! What a review!! Thanks Graaja!!

Does the unit synchronize with the the operations?

For example, when the unit is switched off;

1. When we engage reverse gear, does the reverse camera come on?
2. In case of a incoming call, does the unit switch on / off automatically?

Also, when you hit the mute button, does the music pause?

Sorry for too many questions, but I am sure that you won't mind, as always!!

Thanks for sharing!!
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 18:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Hi graaja, this looks like a very good HU. Congratulations! And your thread with all the details is as awesome as your Android HU thread! Thanks for taking time to give all the details here. Rated 5 stars!

By the way, how does the HU read the fuel level? And how accurate it is? I am asking because I use Torque Pro (along with an OBDII reader) and I found that in my car, the ECU does not give a direct readout of the fuel level. The fuel level is calculated by subtracting cumulative fuel consumption from the fuel tank capacity. Thus, this works only if Torque is running 100% of the time when the engine is running (else it will not know the total fuel consumption). On Googling, I found that most cars sold in India do not have ECU readouts for fuel level. But looks like VW does have a readout for this.

Thank you for the kind words, Dr.AD!

The fuel reading is quite accurate. The tank capacity is 45 liters. And when the fuel indicator on the instrument cluster showed 50%, the HU read 23 liters. I think VW provides more system values through CAN bus, and fuel capacity is one of them. However, the % bars in the HU is not accurate. Need to check if there is a way to set the tank capacity so that the % bars are also accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
WOW!! What a review!! Thanks Graaja!!

Does the unit synchronize with the the operations?

For example, when the unit is switched off;

1. When we engage reverse gear, does the reverse camera come on?
2. In case of a incoming call, does the unit switch on / off automatically?

Also, when you hit the mute button, does the music pause?

Sorry for too many questions, but I am sure that you won't mind, as always!!

Thanks for sharing!!
Thank you for the kind words Chethan.

I will check #1 and #2 and let you know how the HU behaves in these situations. Regarding mute, yes, the HU pauses on mute and starts playing when mute is turned off. This is one of the features I missed in the Android HU.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 18:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That is some detailed write up bro! You have mentioned each and everything that i did not even know, I am just soo impressed with this headunit for the cost and features it throws the 50k dynavin out of the park! And you were absolutely right about this one looking more OEM than the 811 version, I am still confused which one to pick though.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 20:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Phone Mirroring:

Hi Graaja,

Could you please share the link to where you downloaded this app from?

I have the stock RCD330G in my Tsi and though i am able to connect my Samsung S6 Edge+ to it via mirrorlink, however it only mirrors the apps that are listed on the mirrorlink site.

Even though Samsung has a mirrorlink approved app called "Car Mode" which i have installed, it doesnt show up while connected via mirrorlink

Would this app allow me to mirror my phone screen with the stock HU?

Also i see that you haven't connected the phone to the HU via the USB port, so is the connection via bluetooth?

My only requirement is to mirror Google Maps from my phone to the HU

Thanks
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 21:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Could you please share the link to where you downloaded this app from?
Would this app allow me to mirror my phone screen with the stock HU?

Also i see that you haven't connected the phone to the HU via the USB port, so is the connection via bluetooth?

My only requirement is to mirror Google Maps from my phone to the HU

Thanks
Hi nova9,

I do not have the link to the app. Download was through the QR code that the HU displayed and everything was automated. Also, an "apk" file was downloaded. So, this was definitely not from GooglePlay. It looks like the HU was designed to run this app. I doubt if this app will run on the RCD330 as this is not MirrorLink and RCD330 would have been programmed specifically for MirrorLink.

I see that Sygic is a supported app in MirrorLink. Did you try Sygic for navigation?

I will see if I can find the apk file in the downloads folder in my phone and if yes, I can send it to you and you could try.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 21:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi nova9,

I do not have the link to the app. Download was through the QR code that the HU displayed and everything was automated. Also, an "apk" file was downloaded. So, this was definitely not from GooglePlay. It looks like the HU was designed to run this app. I doubt if this app will run on the RCD330 as this is not MirrorLink and RCD330 would have been programmed specifically for MirrorLink.

I see that Sygic is a supported app in MirrorLink. Did you try Sygic for navigation?

I will see if I can find the apk file in the downloads folder in my phone and if yes, I can send it to you and you could try.

Thanks Graaja,

I do have Sygic, but its very poor compared to Google Maps, hence my quest to mirror the phone to the HU.

Please do send me the apk if you can.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks