Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 13:06   #31

Re: VW owners: Now get Apple CarPlay / Android Auto on your head-unit (MIB II)

Hi
I just sent in my GTI to the VW Kurla Service asking for App connect and Apple Car Play to be enabled.

I was given an appointment on the 24th Oct.

Car was delivered to them and was kept there 25th with no status update whatsoever.

On the 26th I called asking about the status and was told that it is not possible to install Car Play on the GTI due to safety reasons
Can somebody who has it installed in a GTI please comment ?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th October 2018 at 13:22. Reason: Formatting post to improve readability
Xantos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 22:46   #32
BHPian

Can't seem to get apple CarPlay to work on my 2016 VW jetta inspite or paying the dealer the whole amount - 22,510

Android auto works fine but when connecting to the iPhone X , I get USB: Device not supported.
The poor chaps at Sundaram Motors Chennai as equally dumbstruck. Hope I haven't paid for nothing.
Lemon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 22:50   #33
BHPian

VW owners: Now get Apple CarPlay / Android Auto on your head-unit (MIB II)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1542043055.632233.jpg

This is the message that pops up when connecting to the iPhone using a genuine apple cable.

My question to jetta owners out there who have enabled CarPlay.

1) did you need to put in an additional USB port for iPhones to work. There is already one on the 2016 model jetta inside the niche in front of the gear shift lever.

2) some earlier threads suggest installing the USB port was necessary for CP to work. Is this true or false.
Lemon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 17:47   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prash26 View Post
Hi
Finally succeeded in installing and using car-play in the VW jetta MIB2 unit.
Had to procure VCDS cable from Ali express.
However, now the feature is enabled and working

Attachment 1660062
Can you tell me how much you paid for the USB Port for iPhone compatibility - Jetta. I purchased the app connect but I get the error - USB: Device not recognised. Wondering if the USB is the issue.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2018 at 21:11. Reason: Typo fixed.
Old 14th November 2018, 18:10   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
Can you tell me how much you paid for the USB Port for iPhone compatibility - Jetta. I purchased the app connect but I get the error - USB: Device not recognised. Wondering if the USB is the issue.
Hi, you have to procure this part - USB Port, part number 5NA057342A.
This has to be installed by the service center, remove the current USB and replace it with the new one.

Then you have to use VCDS to go in to the VW software, you can take the help of the service centre here, there is an option where in you have to choose, - USB port function - there are 3 options, as I remember - iPhone only, Android only, iPhone & Android.

You have to enable iPhone only and save. Then this is going to work.

The guys at the service centre will not be willing to support on the software changes, you will have to coax them to do this.

All the best

The price is around 10K for the USB port.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2018 at 21:10. Reason: Post, spacing fixed.
Old 14th November 2018, 19:03   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantos View Post

On the 26th I called asking about the status and was told that it is not possible to install Car Play on the GTI due to safety reasons
Can somebody who has it installed in a GTI please comment ?

Even I would interested in getting this enabled on my GTI.
Really strange excuse this one from your dealer. Let me ask mine (B U Bhandari).
Old 14th November 2018, 22:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
This has to be installed by the service center, remove the current USB and replace it with the new one.

Then you have to use VCDS to go in to the VW software, you can take the help of the service centre here, there is an option where in you have to choose, - USB port function - there are 3 options, as I remember - iPhone only, Android only, iPhone & Android.

The guys at the service centre will not be willing to support on the software changes, you will have to coax them to do this.

All the best

Thank you. I will ask them to purchase this part. I will coax them to apply the fix to the USB port. Many thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 17:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:

All the best

Changed the USB port. Still not working. He says there is no option to select USB port options.

So now the device not recognised error has gone but the phone is not getting detected.
Looks like I am out of options here. When I told him about VCDS as per your advice , he says that's some illegal software.
Old 27th November 2018, 07:59   #39
BHPian

VW owners: Now get Apple CarPlay / Android Auto on your head-unit (MIB II)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1543285522.513169.jpg

Finally after my pursuit of App connect on the Jetta for the last 2 years, finally drove out of the service centre with it enabled.
The fix was finally possible only after the service centre used another laptop to code the USB port.

Total spent - About 29 K - 22 K for AC and 7 K for USB port ( USB port for apple devices, the existing one on the 2016 Jettas are for generic usb storage media devices )
Lemon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 18:24   #40

Quote:
Total spent - About 29 K - 22 K for AC and 7 K for USB port ( USB port for apple devices, the existing one on the 2016 Jettas are for generic usb storage media devices )
Great
Congrats -
How did you manage finally

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th November 2018 at 18:32. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post.
Old 27th November 2018, 19:13   #41
BHPian

I am not entirely out of the woods yet. It refused to connect to CarPlay this afternoon briefly and all the malfunctions lights lit up like a Christmas tree. I freaked out but then it went away. Uneasy truce at the moment.
Old 30th December 2018, 18:56   #42

Quote:
Attachment 1822654

Finally after my pursuit of App connect on the Jetta for the last 2 years, finally drove out of the service centre with it enabled.
The fix was finally possible only after the service centre used another laptop to code the USB port.

I was waiting for this post to see if someone is able to fully make it work. Mine is a 2016 jetta too and I never got the confidence from the dealer as they always give random responses. I had issues with simple contact imports on the existing HU which is still not sorted. I didn’t want to spend 30k and run around as dealer technicians hardly have skills to crack software issues. Vw website service communication is not even responsive. I was recommended 3 part numbers. Voice activation( 5GO.054.802) app connect ( 5GO.054.830.A) and USB iPod connector (5NA.057.342.A)

I assume you didn’t get the voice activation done? Also knowing we can’t use google maps with Apple CarPlay I am in two minds. I mostly would like this feature for MAPs. In your picture I assume you are using Android auto ?? Does app connect allow you to use both android and Apple phones ?

Dealer would like an advance payment with no assurance of making it work. I am unable to make a decision. So dying to have maps enabled!!

Your response would be of great help. I often travel to Chennai on work. Would love to see the things work in your jetta. Would it be possible to share a short video ?

Cheers and happy new year .. mady.
Old 30th December 2018, 19:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mady View Post
I was waiting for this post to see if someone is able to fully make it work. Mine is a 2016 jetta too and I never got the confidence from the dealer as they always give random responses. I had issues with simple contact imports on the existing HU which is still not sorted. I didn’t want to spend 30k and run around as dealer technicians hardly have skills to crack software issues. Vw website service communication is not even responsive. I was recommended 3 part numbers. Voice activation( 5GO.054.802) app connect ( 5GO.054.830.A) and USB iPod connector (5NA.057.342.A)

I assume you didn’t get the voice activation done? Also knowing we can’t use google maps with Apple CarPlay I am in two minds. I mostly would like this feature for MAPs. In your picture I assume you are using Android auto ?? Does app connect allow you to use both android and Apple phones ?

Dealer would like an advance payment with no assurance of making it work. I am unable to make a decision. So dying to have maps enabled!!

Your response would be of great help. I often travel to Chennai on work. Would love to see the things work in your jetta. Would it be possible to share a short video ?

Cheers and happy new year .. mady.

Post ios 12 update, google maps and waze works on Apple Car Play flawlessly in India with traffic info and all other features. This is the main reason I invested in APP connect.

You cannot use Android Auto with Apple devices.

Short Video Link of Google Maps while driving in my Jetta

https://files.fm/u/vkyttd35
Old 30th December 2018, 23:48   #44

Quote:
Post ios 12 update, google maps and waze works on Apple Car Play flawlessly in India with traffic info and all other features. This is the main reason I invested in APP connect.

This is brilliant. Thanks for the video. My service is due, will go for it.
Old 31st December 2018, 17:23   #45

Quote:

Is the voice activation feature working for you with the voice control button on the wheel ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks