Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2004, 14:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 11 2004,21:12)]What is the idling speed of your Vtec? Look at the last photograph, mine is always between 400 - 500 rpm. It seems to low, but boy...there is no hesitation at all.
Early in the morning, it rises to around 1000-1200rpm but as the engine gets to temperature it hovers between 700-800 rpm. I got the car connect to one of the ECM gauges which gives you all the info.

If you look carefully at the tacho, you can see 2 bold white lines after 0. The first bold line is 0 rpm and the 2nd one is 500rpm. So your car is actually doing "700rpm" at this point. That's normal idling speed.

Rgards...
Shan2nu
Old 11th May 2004, 14:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Shan2nu @ May 11 2004,12:33)]If you look carefully at the tacho, you can see 2 bold white lines after 0. The first bold line is 0 rpm and the 2nd one is 500rpm. So your car is actually doing "700rpm" at this point. That's normal idling speed.
Good point!

Never noticed that before...in any car. Useful to know!

cya
R
Old 11th May 2004, 14:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Black alloys won't look too good on your color I think GTO. You considered getting chrome finished alloys...? THey look neat on a darker car, although they require more upkeep!

Regards to the tyres, I'm using Eagle F1's on my Skoda, and to tell you the truth, I don't like 'em very much. They "squeel" too early in a corner and at too low a speed. I had Falkens on my Astra, and those were terrific. I could take 90 degree bends without lifting (just a lil left foot braking) and they wouldn't let out a bit of noise.

So i suggest Falkens from experience.
Old 11th May 2004, 14:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

Also,
In terms of tire, check out the Michelins that have replaced the MXF sport (i think they are called the "pilot sport"...cant remember). Much quieter, better performance, and maybe they have different characteristics that your "sudden death" view of the mxfs.
Thats what i would put my money on.
cya
R

Old 11th May 2004, 15:14   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]and the 2nd one is 500rpm
Man!! Learn something new everyday...Thanks very much Shantanu. Also, there is a similar bold mark on the speedometer. Is it safe to assume that that one is to indicate 10 km/h?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Black alloys won't look too good on your color I think GTO. You considered getting chrome finished alloys...? THey look neat on a darker car, although they require more upkeep!
You know, the one thing I am looking forward to doing is shopping all around for my Vtec alloys. Get this, I actually saw like 40 odd designs before I picked up the pajero wheels for my CJ during restoration. Took me all of a month and a half.

I am pretty surprised that you arent too happy with the Eagle F1's. Yes they squeal too early but then they gradually approach their limits compared to the Michelin MXF sports which I have in my Esteem. They dont so much as complain till 95%, and then SNAP!! All hell breaks lose and a new hand could meet with a fatal accident.

GTO
Old 11th May 2004, 15:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]They dont so much as complain till 95%, and then SNAP!! All hell breaks lose and a new hand could meet with a fatal accident.
Well, a lot of that could be the Esteems umm..basic suspension. The tyres try their best to keep the car on the road, but eventually physics takes over and hence the "snap" ..lol!

I know a lot of ppl look down on Falken's coz they don't have the Brand name Michelin or Pirelli do, but I really feel Falken's Z502's were a lot better than the Potenza's and the P5000's I tried on my friends cars.

Give em a shot, you won't be disappointed...
Old 11th May 2004, 16:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 11 2004,23:44)]Also, there is a similar bold mark on the speedometer. Is it safe to assume that that one is to indicate 10 km/h?
Yeah that's 10kmph. Trust me, you don't wanna keep your needle at that point. lol

Then on it's 2kmph for every little line. I've seen my needle go upto 195kmph, that's 2 and a half lines after the 190kmph mark.

Now, when i think about it, it cant imagine what made me go all the way.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 11th May 2004, 16:33   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rtech @ May 11 2004,14:00)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]They dont so much as complain till 95%, and then SNAP!! All hell breaks lose and a new hand could meet with a fatal accident.
Well, a lot of that could be the Esteems umm..basic suspension.
Very good point Rtech,

i forgot to factor the esteem into the equation!

GTO had mentioned his views on the MXFs to me quite some time ago at a tbhp meet. I have them on my accent and have only had similar experiences when pushing extremely hard in the rain. In the dry they seem to give me fair warning!

cya
R

ps- only complaint is that they are very noisy tires, but thats the price you pay for great water dispersion.

Old 11th May 2004, 17:16   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Well, a lot of that could be the Esteems umm..basic suspension. The tyres try their best to keep the car on the road, but eventually physics takes over and hence the "snap" ..lol!
True, plus the Esteems chassis is very outdated compared to the current breed of machinery available from other manufacturers.

But experienced the same story with the Michelins on a Lancer too.

I honestly dont think too much of the mid-range bridgestones anymore...and thats moreso with the Indian made versions. Though the Indian ones are far superior to MRF's and JK's, they still arent a patch on imported ones, or what Michelin, Goodyear (Eagles) and Pirellis have to offer. The price difference is not too much either.

The Vtec is just so under-tyred. The tyres give up around corners, way way before the car does.

GTO
Old 11th May 2004, 17:24   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 11 2004,15:46)]The Vtec is just so under-tyred. The tyres give up around corners, way way before the car does.
As mentioned in my travel notes - got thrashed by a Scorpio on wide tyres on an upward ghat road due to being under tyres and under torqued (latter since I had both hands on the wheel so I cold not shift down to summon up reserves!!!)
Old 11th May 2004, 17:26   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BTW Heres a top speed run in my 1996 Esteem VX with the then-brand-new-Michelins. Eventually did a 185. Not bad for a carburetored Esteem with 100,000 kms on the clock,eh?

GTO
Old 11th May 2004, 18:02   #27
Team-BHP Support

Gotto love speedo error lol!

this pic reminds me of one I took a long time ago on my old 155000 Km used Nissan Sentra....on 20$ snow tyres

Old 11th May 2004, 18:06   #28
BHPian

GTO,

was this on the expressway ?

~A
Old 11th May 2004, 18:26   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

LOL, Rtech bad boy. Shouldnt you have let the car come to operating temperature before maxxing her out? And that is 160 km/h correct?

Yes Aditya, this was on teh expressway in the December of 2000. Was with my then southie girlfriend whose only job was the trip was clicking pictures. I honestly didnt expect the needle to go beyond 170...and she took like 15 pictures all the way to 185.

GTO
Old 11th May 2004, 18:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey was your carb Esteem tuned. Coz the stock produced just 65bhp, and with the weight of the Esteem, it would find it hard to cross 160kmph (true speed).

The MPFi itself cant manage 170kmph (true speed)

Maybe the speedo does manage 185kmph, like my friends Ikon that hit 210kmph. lol

Regards...
Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks