Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 19:17   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_vijayarajan View Post
In the mean time I got the rewiring done @ Sprocket. The music sounds much better now.
Thatz Great! Enjoy the Music!!!
Old 13th March 2007, 19:24   #62
Team-BHP Support

Hey Raj, could you tell us what exactly was changed. The install looks pretty clean. Also with regard to the T595, I guess since you have a sub the T595 would have been set to HPF of around 80Hz. The Bass will come from the sub whereas the midbass, midrange would be from the T595 and infinity compos.
Old 13th March 2007, 19:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

I just checked your pics. The install looks pretty good, Raj. Really clean and neat. That's some nice FG work on the front doors.

Your sub is a really good sub. But I think it's bass response tends to be more tighter and less boomier (which is how it should be IMHO). And if the enclosure is a sealed one, the bass will tend to be quite tight (again, better IMHO). Maybe you expected a bit more boom? If that is so, a ported enclosure might help you. The same sub (powered by the same amp) in a ported enclosure will be quite louder and less tight.

You really needn't be so concerned about the bass response of the JBL 3-way ovals in the back, as you have a sub to take care of the bass duty. The ovals should be producing more mid-bass than actual bass. Maybe the installer has set the filters (in the amp) in such a way that the lower frequencies being sent to the ovals are substantially cut. (Which I think is all right, as you have a sub there).

Like sideways said, if the ovals are not installed with proper damping, they wil tend to cause a lot of vibration. But I guess you have had the boot-door damped, right?

Question for the gurus:
The sub is firing towards the ovals and the ovals are firing towards the sub. could this be screwing-up the bass?
Old 13th March 2007, 20:02   #64
Team-BHP Support

That looks like a pretty big enclosure for a sealed setup. Is it a sealed setup?
Old 13th March 2007, 21:54   #65
BHPian

Nice setup, specially the door comps.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:04   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As you mentioned, I am looking at bass that integrates with the music. But the flip side is that I sometimes want to hear it loud & cant handle the jarring & vibrations.
Like Hydra has already mentioned, the 6x9s and subs are firing at each other.

This really wont matter too much becuase the speakers are a few feet apart when the rear door is closed but will screw up the sound coming from the t595s more.

a) The T595s are firing into the sub and rear of the rear seat. the sound you are getting the front is sound that is very much off axis and this sound will not be optimum.

b) The T595s we designed for free air install. The volume of the 5th door is far less than a sedan trunk and hence i am not surprised that the bass seems muted.

c) The T595s are more refined than say JBL's GTO series. I have heard them and would compare them favourably against 6x9 speakers like the Alpine 690A and Infinity 96xx. It is just that in your install the T595s might not have been the best choice. If it were me I would have chosen a smaller component speaker like say the Infinty 6010cs. This would allow me to install the tweeter above the woofer and firing at the rear passengers and give the smaller speakers more room to breathe. A 6" component is also designed for door installs.

d) Lastly is there any reason the tweeters of the front components is mounted so low?

Vehicles like the Scorpio, Bolero, Pajero, etc are diffcult to ICE.
i) There is no good spot for the rear speakers
ii) The cabin volume is large and hence needs large woofers
iii) A lot of damping is required as the panels tend to vibrate more than the usual

Given the above we would like to know if you are satisfied with the end result so we can close this chapter.

Last edited by navin : 14th March 2007 at 10:05.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:25   #67
Team-BHP Support

Navinji, the best location for rear speakers in the Scorpio is above the rear door. the 2 corners almost at the roof on top. a 6" component in a fibreglass moulding. It sounds much better than on the door or just behind the middle row.

Aren't the T595 one of the most expensive 6X9 coaxials? they cost 12K right?

Also, Navinji my last post i was wondering of this enclosure looked too big for a sealed box?
Old 14th March 2007, 10:31   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
...the 2 corners almost at the roof on top. a 6" component in a fibreglass moulding. ....
Also, Navinji my last post i was wondering of this enclosure looked too big for a sealed box?
a) I have not studied the Scorpio yet.
b) I dont know prices of speakers. WHy I barely know model numbers correctly. You dont want to know what I do to speakers - of those who know, some call me mad, others call me cheap, the rest call it sacrilage.

c) The box size is determined by the T/S parameters of the woofer. besides in a sealed box if the box is a bit too big the Qtc will reduce which is sorta nice if you like less BOOM. Sealed boxes are very tolerant of inaccurate box sizes.
Old 14th March 2007, 13:00   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Hello raj,
The reason i am posting, is because I own a Scorpio too. I might be wrong, but I have by default assumed, that the 3 way speakers have been installed in your rear door (read as boot door or whatever you want to call it). Thats the way it's been done in my jeep too, albeit with a little bit of modification to the door. The original pad was removed and heavy duty MDF was used to make a new pad on which the speakers were mounted. I think here is where the problem lies, meaning location of the speakers.
Sideways,
You got most of the fitting of the T595 right. THe ovals are fixed on heavy duty MDF but I had to trim the metal sheet from inside to get them fixed. Initially I had a lot of vibration but overcame that by fixing dampning sheet and filled the space empty space with cotton waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
with regard to the T595, I guess since you have a sub the T595 would have been set to HPF of around 80Hz. The Bass will come from the sub whereas the midbass, midrange would be from the T595 and infinity compos.
Vid,
You have it right dude... In case I am travelling out and use the 3rd row seat all I do is remove the Sub & change HPF to Flat. This gives me the required bass from the T595. I also change the setup on the cross over circuit for the additional bass i need from the compos.

Raj
Old 14th March 2007, 13:05   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Question for the gurus:
The sub is firing towards the ovals and the ovals are firing towards the sub. could this be screwing-up the bass?
Hydrashok,
I have done something stupid here to take care of it but it works.... I have faced the Suns to the front rather than firing it towards the ovals & I dont have anything to complain.
Old 14th March 2007, 13:44   #71

I will answer Vid & Navins questions together. T595 was one of my initial acquitions & I doled out 16K for the pair. When I was doing the rewiring, I considered the option of replacing them with Compos. I wasnt getting a good deal on the exchange and wasnt really worth loosing so much money.

I mentioned in my earlier post, I junked the amp that blew out and bought another one. JBL serviced it but didnt provide a replacement & lost money in the bargain.
Old 14th March 2007, 14:21   #72
Team-BHP Support

Thanks raj for answering the queries. But how is the sound now. Is there something missing still??

What was the final list of changes you had to do to get everything upto your satisfaction?
Old 14th March 2007, 14:45   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
T595 was one of my initial acquitions & I doled out 16K for the pair....

JBL serviced it but didnt provide a replacement & lost money in the bargain.
16K for the 6x9s wow! You could have got a nice pair of components for that but nonetheless the T595s are very good speakers too.

Was the amp under warranty/
Old 14th March 2007, 15:23   #74

Vid,
I am quite happy with my music.... Dont have much to complain. I am planning to add an LCD screen to the list & seen a 10.2" from Carbon.

Navin,
The amp was still under warranty.

Raj
Old 14th March 2007, 16:55   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I am quite happy with my music.... Dont have much to complain.
Raj
now this statement sounds good. Finally, you are happy with the ICE and so are we for you. The ICE setup pics looks neat, just that you needa change the coax firing into the sub.

As Navin rightly said, scorpios n similary big cars are difficult to ICE.

I guess the best thing people with big cars can do is start with just a good HU and Components for front and later upgrade making sure that installs at which location in the car gives a better sound imaging.

Offcourse lot of patience, listening to different ICE installs and consultation with Tbhpian's will be required to accomplish a gr8 ICE setup.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks