Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2004, 15:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

I dont know much about MP3 or Vorbis but i wonder why no one makes a Flash Memory based car audio unit. Blaupunkt has a hard drive based one but I come from the old school when hard drive crashes were common and i dont trust a hard drive to survive in the car.

I wonder if anyone knows a car audio unit that can accomodate Compact Flash, Memory Stick, SD Card, Smart Media etc. on 512M compact flash for example one can put about 2 hrs of music at reasonable quality. I put about 50 MP3 songs on my T3's 256MB SD card and it is quite listenable.

BTW Vorbis's OOG or is it OGG format is supposed to be better than MP3. Anyone here have any opinions, ideas, expereince with this?
Old 9th September 2004, 15:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

I think both Sony and Blaupunkt make head units that have inbuilt SM/MMC card slots.
Old 9th September 2004, 19:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (navin @ Sep. 09 2004,13:33)]i wonder why no one makes a Flash Memory based car audio unit.
Well Navin,

Quite simply, any 512MB flash media is going to cost nowhere less than $50.
Whereas a CD-RW (re-writable) costs nowhere more than $10, not to mention it can store ~150MB more!

And add to that, the head unit that can play the CDRW(pseudo flashcard) can also play regular cds!

Flashmemory is still too expensive/MB to become a mass market alternative IMO.

cya
R
Old 9th September 2004, 19:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Did some googling...the Pioneer DEH-P90HDD reads directly off a memory stick. But the price - about $1300 - makes it bloody expensive! But for that you also get a 10 GB hard disk!

Check out the specs here

I think I'll stick to my Rs.10 CDR's!

Rt
Old 10th September 2004, 13:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

i hear MP3 CDS skip a lot esp in changers.
Old 12th October 2005, 18:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
I think both Sony and Blaupunkt make head units that have inbuilt SM/MMC card slots.
blaupunkt . me damn sure. think it takes mmc. 2 of my frnds has it. 4got the model. i got it for them for 150pounds each
Old 12th October 2005, 18:33   #7
BHPian

Navin,

Eclipse (Fujitsu Ten) have two models with built in slot to use Memory Stick.

They are CD8455, 8445

Check them out at

CD8455 : http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/cd8455.html

CD8445 : http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/cd8445.html

Can you see the memory stick logo on the HU's, you can record as well as play from Memory Stick. They are HD radio and Sirius Radio compatible too.

Great headunits Navigation ready, Very good SQ , Advanced DSP with EQ and Crossover. And the D/A convertors are also pretty good, 24 Bit Delta-Sigma and also they have 8V preouts.

With Eclipse E-iSERV facility you can also transfer Audio Settings, Audio Map, Videos etc to the head unit through memory card and CD-Rom, which are available at E-iSERV server of Eclipse.

They are named among the finest head units.

Too bad they are not available in Asia and Europe. They are only sold in U.S.

Last edited by Autophile : 12th October 2005 at 18:51.
Old 12th October 2005, 18:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Navin... A memory card compatible music player would be idle, probably even a USB memory stick one would work well.... I dont see why it should cost alot if it does go into production as all u will need a USB port in the panel... I guess its just a matter off time... had the iPod and other music players not gotten this popular then I guess such panels would be out long ago.
Old 12th October 2005, 22:32   #9
BHPian

Any thought on using a mobile phone as the HU ? Phones like SE K750i can play MP3, has radio, uses MMC card. Can it be directly wired to a Preamp/ Amp ?

I would like to use this setup. I am not a audio and a decent sound system (in general terms) would suffice me.

Your thoughts on this ?
Old 12th October 2005, 23:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo
Any thought on using a mobile phone as the HU ? Phones like SE K750i can play MP3, has radio, uses MMC card. Can it be directly wired to a Preamp/ Amp ?

I would like to use this setup. I am not a audio and a decent sound system (in general terms) would suffice me.

Your thoughts on this ?
if se k750i and w800 sport the common jack for its headphone, then we have a solution. teh cassette adaptor!
Old 12th October 2005, 23:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo

Your thoughts on this ?
Hi VooDoo

Yes, you could use your SE750i thru your Aux in inout on your HU. If your HU doesnt have an Aux in, you will have to buy an adapter for that, made by your HU mfr.

Also, you would need the SE line output cable that will attach to the prop port on the phone and will output through RCA connectors.
Old 12th October 2005, 23:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Navinji

JVC has a few such models. This one does SD card and USB both...

Check out the link

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...thId=87&page=2

Last edited by gunbir : 12th October 2005 at 23:21.
Old 13th October 2005, 04:22   #13
BHPian

I am not sure if I was able to make my point. I want to get rid of the HU and use my Phone as the media centre. My Moto A925 has got a decent display, touch screen, GPS, MP3 player and accepts SD card (1 Gig = 39 GBP!). Why can't I use it in place of the HU ?

I understand there are quite a few constraints, one which comes top of my head is sound quality. But if I am not that choosy about the sound quality, can I make this setup ? What would I require for this setup to work (say within INR 10K)?

Food for thought !
Old 13th October 2005, 07:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

when Fun-Republic first opened at Ahmedabad blaupunkt had a display safari for its audio.

2 of the units had memory card support.

this was 3 years ago.
Old 13th October 2005, 07:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Well Navin,

Quite simply, any 512MB flash media is going to cost nowhere less than $50.
Whereas a CD-RW (re-writable) costs nowhere more than $10, not to mention it can store ~150MB more!

And add to that, the head unit that can play the CDRW(pseudo flashcard) can also play regular cds!

Flashmemory is still too expensive/MB to become a mass market alternative IMO.

cya
R

yes but u have to maqke different cds while in a card u cange change songs ever month. its like a one time expense

Most Viewed