Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2017, 19:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A: Added a subwoofer to my Vitara Brezza

Since the time I got my Brezza, I always felt ICE needed enhancement to have better experience with the music. However, I was always confused as to how to bring the experience upto the level of my expectation and attain Nirvana

Disclaimer:
There's no installation pics I captured due to the tensed situation I was in at the very moment as I was counting on my electrician to get things right. Also, this review is purely on the product rather than the usual installation process since this is no "DIY". Once done with your purchase, please do consult your trusted car electrician for a clean installation.

Then, my next question was, what do I do?
  • Change the entire speaker set of Hertz to Pioneer or JBL? This was a bit expensive idea. On the other hand, I am not an audioholic to understand the basic terms of music world. To me, I wanted pure vocals and bass upgrade. So I was okay with the current setup but felt the oomph factor was missing when the music started.
OR
  • Just add the Sub-Woofer alongside a decent amplifier. Okay, which one and what wattage should I go in for? Again, I didn't know or understand anything related to this question as well.
When I failed to arrive or get any answers to the above questions independently, I started googling and YouTube'd a lot to understand basics in Music. Again, somewhere it didn't convince me.

So lastly I came across these 2 terms, Active & Passive Sub-Woofers. My mind starting getting curious to see if this would be it. Never knew there were 2 categories in the woofers as I only knew there were Sub-Woofers. Okay, what are the main and basic difference in the 2?

Basically, a subwoofer is used to reproduce low frequencies. This is indeed an essential component in making your setup complete. There are components as well these days to compensate the absence of woofers. IMO, I do not have first hand experience to this and didn't want to risk the investment on something that I didn't know a thing about. So, I stood with subs.

Passive Subwoofers, are mainly powered by an external amplifier which is exactly the way any loudspeaker is powered. You can play around with Passive subwoofer setup by either getting a good amplifier with proper wattage to produce bass to disturb your neighbors or fellow travelers when you stop by a signal. It all depends on what your requirement is. But this does produce and proves to be better in terms of reliability and servicing because they are independent components in the music setup. Amps are usually kept under the seat and woofers usually in the boot. This setup will syphen more money from your pocket.

Active (or Powered) Subwoofers, are those that have an inbuilt amplifier. This type of subwoofer is a self-contained speaker/amplifier configuration in which the characteristics of the amplifier and subwoofer are optimally matched and are both encased in the same enclosure. Basically no need to buy a separate amp but you will have to look at wattage specification before buying one. You will have to be bothered about the wiring and then you are good with just one box sitting in your boot and need not have to worry about the additional amp.

With the difference understood in layman terms, I finalized on the Active sub setup influenced by the finance in hand. My search then started with various websites to find out good reviews about the active subs and I came across this affordable small wonder Blaupunkt GTb 8200A product. I started getting inquisitive about the performance of this sub and went on observing feedback from various other users and I ended up zeroing my selection. I sourced this through Amazon finally and I got it for reasonable price i.e. Rs. 6,000/- during online sale while it was actually retailing somewhere between 7-8k. I booked one without thinking much. Specs are as below:
  • Ported subwoofer enclosure with integrated Class-D Amplifier
  • 8" subwoofer with spun paper cone
  • frequency response: 30-200 Hz
  • amplifier delivers 75 watts RMS (200 watts max)
  • line- and speaker-level inputs
  • separate controls for low-pass filter, phase and gain
  • dimensions: 10"W x 10-1/4"H x 10-3/4"D1 x 8"D2
  • warranty: 1 year
Make no mistake, all the tech details for this sub is lifted and dropped from here. This sub is accepted by audioholics both in domestic and as well as in abroad. It was more than enough for me to make a firm decision on the setup, and it was indeed Active Subwoofer sourced from Blaupunkt.

I placed an order in Amazon on 26 Oct and got it delivered on 29 Oct. Seller was quick in having the item delivered as the initial estimate was to deliver the product on 01 Nov but I got ahead of the date. Packaging was brilliant. So 10 stars for the e-commerce website and the seller associated with it.

Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A: Added a subwoofer to my Vitara Brezza-img8954.jpg

Contents:
  • Subwoofer
Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A: Added a subwoofer to my Vitara Brezza-img_8951.jpg
  • Fuse box, Power and ground cable
Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A: Added a subwoofer to my Vitara Brezza-img8817.jpg
  • User Manual
Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A: Added a subwoofer to my Vitara Brezza-img8955.jpg

As soon as the product arrived, I was really excited to have it installed on the same day. But as the saying goes "Man proposes, God disposes", mine was something similar "I proposed, Electrician Disposed" of not being free for installation due to other cars in the line for other works. So, the plan of installation moved to next day, i.e. 30 Oct.

I woke up and drove straight to his workshop to get this device installed and enjoy the bass. But, I had various hiccups.

1) Active Subs need different type of wiring since it demanded an AUX cable which I didn't know. Seller had sent the power and ground lines alongside a fuse box. Didn't know I had to buy RCA cable. I later bought one with 5mtrs in length which costed about Rs.450/-

2) My electrician had not installed active subs till date, since he had fair amount of experience in installing the passive ones alongside an amp. So, I had my doubts creeping in if the installation would happen the same day because he was planning on understanding the product first before getting into the job of wire splicing. By then, I was running late to office and told him I would come back again and left for the day

3) He also mentioned I would need RCA converter as well, since my HU from Maruti didn't have an RCA output. I inquired in multiple shops in EC, Bangalore - but to my dismay, I didn't find any. Plan got postponed again because this main part was required. I didn't know how that converter looked like and my electrician sent me the link for the converter that was essential in completing the job. It was available from Amazon but it was pricey.

4) I then went ahead with the normal RCA coverter from another maker MiGagdgets which I sourced from a local store in Mysore over the weekend for Rs.750/-.

Please note this HU is available on the top end variants of Maruti's current line up i.e. Dzire, Ciaz, Ignis, Baleno, S-Cross & Brezza. My electrician later realized he could have taken the power and speaker output directly from the rear doors of the car.

Finally on 6 Nov, my electrician finalized the installation and it was all good to be switched ON for the first time and it did sound great for its size. We did meddle around the setting knobs located in the sub itself to get good output and finally arrived at a good setting. Attaching both the settings of the knobs and the subwoofer;

Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A: Added a subwoofer to my Vitara Brezza-img_8952.jpg

Reviews and Feedback were genuine in this case and it turned out to be a success. Sadly, I cannot record a video which would give you the exact experience if heard in person.

My rating for the product stands at 10 on scale of 10!

List of items required alongside the sub purchase - not mandatory though as it's totally dependant on how you power the sub, either through the rear door speakers or from the HU itself - Let your electrician take a call. But ensure he doesn't screw up with wiring as it could lead to other repercussions with the electrical systems of the car.
  • RCA Cable - preferably 5mtrs in length
  • RCA converter
Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A: Added a subwoofer to my Vitara Brezza-img8851.jpg
  • Trusted Electrician if you're not a DIY expert unlike the BHPIANS in the forum.
With this tiny little enhancement, sound output and the experience of music has increased exponentially and I come out here as a satisfied customer. I highly recommend this sub to others as well who comes across short of knowledge in sound department and are inclined towards enjoying the music by upgrading or enhancing the current setup. However, I’m not sure if this sub is going to be effective for sedans because it’s pretty small and I’m not sure if that’s going to prove itself like it does with compact SUV’s, Hatchbacks and to some extent the SUV’s as well.

Last edited by gururajrv : 12th November 2017 at 18:10.
gururajrv is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 09:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Blaupunkt GTb 8200 A: Added a subwoofer to my Vitara Brezza

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the ICE Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 12:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Since the time I got my Brezza, I always felt ICE needed enhancement to have better experience with the music

With this tiny little enhancement, sound output and the experience of music has increased exponentially and I come out here as a satisfied customer.
Thank you for sharing your install. We have a philosophy over here on TBHP's ICE section.

"It is your money, your ears, your music. If it make you happy then do NOT let anyone advise you otherwise"

Every budget has some solution. That said one of the cheapest "upgrades" I find is good damping of the doors. This not only reduces "road noise" but also damps the rattles and buzzes of the door panels. In general the Japanese and Korean marques need more damping that the Germans but that is just a rule of thumb.

One question: Did your electrician get both "power and speaker output" from the rear speakers? I can understand taking the speaker out but powering the subwoofer would mean a connection from the battery.
navin is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 12:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Thank you for sharing your install. We have a philosophy over here on TBHP's ICE section.

"It is your money, your ears, your music. If it make you happy then do NOT let anyone advise you otherwise"
Thanks and Good one!

Quote:
Every budget has some solution. That said one of the cheapest "upgrades" I find is good damping of the doors. This not only reduces "road noise" but also damps the rattles and buzzes of the door panels. In general the Japanese and Korean marques need more damping that the Germans but that is just a rule of thumb.
Yes, definitely my next work is on damping the doors like you mentioned to tackle the rattles and noise levels to an extent. Agreed German cars don’t require any sort of damping. Their plastic quality is top notch!

But I don’t see the need of damping for Ford cars too. My BIL owns an ecosport and music sounds great with minimal or no road noise creeping into the cabin. Don’t know if I overestimate it here against Brezza. But Brezza strongly requires door damping for sure.

Quote:
One question: Did your electrician get both "power and speaker output" from the rear speakers? I can understand taking the speaker out but powering the subwoofer would mean a connection from the battery.
Yes, he did power the sub from the battery AFAIK. There were too many wirings that was happening and I got lost in between
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 15:07   #5
BHPian

Hey buddy!

I got the same unit installed in my i20 elite a few months ago. While the ICE that came with the car (Asta(O) variant) was pretty clear, the subwoofer added a much-needed dimension to the audio! I absolutely love this unit for a number of reasons:
1. Easy to install
2. Easy to remove, especially when you have to give your car for service
3. Sound quality! Incredible a crisp bass
4. Small size with good output. I still have a boot for storage, unlike the previous woofer in my swift which ate up my boot
5. Adjustment options on the woofer itself
6. No need for another amplifier. The sub in my swift needed an amplifier that was bolted under the driver's seat. Was a source of unnecessary tension every time it was raining and I had passengers in the back seat with wet feet :P
7. Value for money!

Congratulations on the purchase and hope you enjoy it!

P.S. Listen to Laung gawacha by Bass Rani with this setup!

Last edited by DDiSLover : 14th November 2017 at 15:10. Reason: added another point
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 15:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Hey buddy!

Congratulations on the purchase and hope you enjoy it!

P.S. Listen to Laung gawacha by Bass Rani with this setup!
Ha ha thanks a lot buddy! You pretty much summarized it again for everyone’s benefit

Will surely listen to this track. Any other suggestions on the tracks pls

I will download them all to exploit the potential of this small wonder! But it’s indeed VFM and it adds that extra thing to the music which was missing from the OEM setup.

Last edited by gururajrv : 14th November 2017 at 15:38.
Old 14th November 2017, 17:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha thanks a lot buddy! You pretty much summarized it again for everyone’s benefit

Will surely listen to this track. Any other suggestions on the tracks pls

I will download them all to exploit the potential of this small wonder! But it’s indeed VFM and it adds that extra thing to the music which was missing from the OEM setup.
Yo! I would recommend any songs with heavy bass, EDM and rock especially if you are into that! Most dance numbers these days are heavy in bass. You should also listen to classics like Dhoom Again, Chaiyya Chaiyya and Dil Se (Classics? Not really but I love the bass lines in those songs). You will really appreciate the bass notes on those songs! Also check out Lost in the Echo by Linkin Park!
Old 14th November 2017, 17:43   #8
BANNED

Super good thread!
After putting in a RF R1 sub with a RF monoblock amp in my Polo I have been toying with the idea of upgrading the Audio in my mom's Ameo and this sub looks perfect for the job. Small size, and no hassle of a separate amp. 6k sounds like a steal.
As suggested earlier, damping and maybe a pair of good components for the front will elevate your music to new heights for sure
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 17:54   #9

Congratulations on your buy. I had this installed in my Swift (now sold) and it instantly added the much needed bass to my factory ICE setup. The only issue that I faced was the frequent visits to the stereo guy to do adjustments as the bass setting used to go haywire.

I hope you do not face the same issue and enjoy miles of foot thumping music
renjuraju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 17:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Yo! I would recommend any songs with heavy bass, EDM and rock especially if you are into that! Most dance numbers these days are heavy in bass. You should also listen to classics like Dhoom Again, Chaiyya Chaiyya and Dil Se (Classics? Not really but I love the bass lines in those songs). You will really appreciate the bass notes on those songs! Also check out Lost in the Echo by Linkin Park!
Ha ha - surely mate will listen to the classics. I like any song with progressive music. Mostly into club and EDM as you said. Not an avid follower of any as I can’t distinguish the genre to be honest as long as it satisfies my ear drums before it’s added onto my favorites

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Super good thread!
After putting in a RF R1 sub with a RF monoblock amp in my Polo I have been toying with the idea of upgrading the Audio in my mom's Ameo and this sub looks perfect for the job. Small size, and no hassle of a separate amp. 6k sounds like a steal.
As suggested earlier, damping and maybe a pair of good components for the front will elevate your music to new heights for sure
Thanks buddy. Glad the review helps our fellow member

Wait, did you mention Ameo? Perhaps it’s better you take a trial from any of your known associates from the accessories to check if this tiny sub will surely add value. Reason being, hatchbacks, SUV’s or compact SUV’s will still have no separators from the boot unlike the sedans and compact sedans which will have a dedicated boot that’s separated from cabin. Please double check before investing on this so that it doesn’t hurt your pocket.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 18:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renjuraju View Post
Congratulations on your buy. I had this installed in my Swift (now sold) and it instantly added the much needed bass to my factory ICE setup. The only issue that I faced was the frequent visits to the stereo guy to do adjustments as the bass setting used to go haywire.

I hope you do not face the same issue and enjoy miles of foot thumping music
Firstly welcome to the group

Luckily I’ve fixed the knobs to the most favorable position and took a screenshot incase someone meddles with it, I can still go ahead and restore settings to its previous state and continue having eargasms
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 18:12   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks buddy. Glad the review helps our fellow member

Wait, did you mention Ameo? compact sedans which will have a dedicated boot that’s separated from cabin. Please double check before investing on this so that it doesn’t hurt your pocket.
Completely agree, some more research will be needed for that car.
The seats do fold down, so I think it should be effective, as in not having a completely separate department.
Comments from experienced people in the ICE department welcome.
Old 14th November 2017, 18:16   #13

Hey, thanks @gururajrv.. and yes taking a image is a good way to know your previous setting of the knobs.

I hope the setup was a clean one as most of these mechanics have no regard for the looks and the way the setup the wires n stuff.
Old 14th November 2017, 19:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since the time I got my Brezza, I always felt ICE needed enhancement to have better experience with the music. However, I was always confused as to how to bring the experience upto the level of my expectation and attain Nirvana
Congrats on a wise decision.

I went through this process/experience myself and the solution wound up costing me more than my budgetary outlay. But it was worth it in the end. Frankly, a SW makes a world of difference to the music. There's no getting away from it. Rear shelf or door mounted speakers simply can't match the bass from a woofer.

My car has a passive Focal 10" SW connected to a Focal amp.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 20:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Completely agree, some more research will be needed for that car.
The seats do fold down, so I think it should be effective, as in not having a completely separate department.
Comments from experienced people in the ICE department welcome.
Seats folding down is not going to be a permanent solution bud. What will you do when your car has occupants in the rear seat as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renjuraju View Post
Hey, thanks @gururajrv.. and yes taking a image is a good way to know your previous setting of the knobs.

I hope the setup was a clean one as most of these mechanics have no regard for the looks and the way the setup the wires n stuff.
Indeed I was around juggling alongside the electrician and it was done pretty decent. He’s a trusted electrician of mine who’s done few other jobs for me on my car. So I can trust on the setup though I faced hurdles in between. He’s a person who understands a project first before accepting anything to be done. He took a day extra that delayed my setup in fact. Which is why I was impressed. He didn’t blindly start meddling around. He showed professionalism and these type of professionals is what I recommend to my fellow drivers here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats on a wise decision.

I went through this process/experience myself and the solution wound up costing me more than my budgetary outlay. But it was worth it in the end. Frankly, a SW makes a world of difference to the music. There's no getting away from it. Rear shelf or door mounted speakers simply can't match the bass from a woofer.

My car has a passive Focal 10" SW connected to a Focal amp.
Thanks buddy! Well your commentary tells me you should have one heck of a boom blast setup in your car. Speakers don’t have the potential to reproduce the low frequencies - please correct me if I’m mistaken. With my current setup as well, if I increase the volume by certain pointers, the pleasant experience is ruined by the stock speakers. I intend to upgrade sometime later after I’ve done the most anticipated update being on the performance front of the car, a remap! Working on my financials to cater to this desire but this sub deserves its praise all around for the wonderful experience it’s delivering for the money I’ve invested.

Besides your in-depth knowledge on the speaker and music area seems to be a lot advanced, I feel so reading the last liner in your commentary. I can take some suggestions from you if I plan on upgrading my ICE further.

Most Viewed