Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2018, 15:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Android Auto Wireless now available on select phones

Android Auto will now be available over Wi-Fi when used with select phones and compatible car head units. For now, Android Auto Wireless will be limited to the North American region.

Currently, to use Android Auto in cars, the phone should be running on Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or above and the head unit of the car should be compatible with it. A USB cable is required to connect the phone to the system. However, with wireless Android Auto, the phone will connect automatically to the system using Wi-Fi. System requirements include Android 8.0 (Oreo) or above, Android Auto app version over 3.1 and a compatible infotainment system. Currently only the Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL and the Nexus 5X or 6P are supported.

According to the release notes, aftermarket head units from JVC and Kenwood are available with this feature. Google will add support for more devices and car systems over the future. It is not yet known if infotainment systems in some cars like Skoda, that have built in Wi-Fi will be compatible or not.

Android Auto Wireless now available on select phones-androidnav.jpg

Source - Android Auto User Community

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 16th April 2018 at 15:23.
blackwasp is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 20:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Android Auto Wireless now available on select phones

This is great news! I always used to think this would make a lot of sense. My limited knowledge of the way android auto works was that the bandwidth requirement can be only supported by a wired connection for this to work. Hope this gets added to existing Head units of less expensive cars too.
aneeshtn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 22:22   #3
BHPian

Very keen on what would be the work arounds for the non WiFi head units available in the market .

I for one have been using Sony xav ax100 for more than an year.

Though Android auto has its fair share of stupid restrictions, it's pretty useful especially for the handsfree Google now feature
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 13:45   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice-to-have, but certainly not a must-have. Reason = there's one more advantage to plugging that Android Auto cable into your phone. It gets charged simultaneously! And god knows the smartphones of today need it. Whenever I'm driving, by habit, the first thing I do is plug the 12v power cable into my phone.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 14:00   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Reason = there's one more advantage to plugging that Android Auto cable into your phone. It gets charged simultaneously!
What I would want is, all manufacturers incorporating high speed USB charging facility in the USB port that connects to the HU. Some manufacturers do provide it IIRC.

In my Creta while I use the Android Auto through the OnePlus 3T, the battery % stays constant for a shorter while but drops slowly with longer Android auto usage as the USB port doesn't charge it faster. What I would like is faster charging option included in that USB port so there is no need to carry a separate car fast charger.

If Android Auto goes wireless, I can have the Android Auto working for me plus fast charging happening simultaneously.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th April 2018 at 14:16. Reason: Adding a sentence
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 14:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It gets charged simultaneously! And god knows the smartphones of today need it.
When Android Auto is moving to wireless, so will charging. Many cars, albeit on the higher end come with wireless chargers standard. Some cars come with 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What I would want is, all manufacturers incorporating high speed USB charging facility in the USB port that connects to the HU. Some manufacturers do provide it IIRC.
This could be one more limitation of the head unit. Eg. No support for fast charge / quick charge technologies. Further, wireless Android Auto will enable you to use the charger of your choice than remain stuck with the one on the head unit. You can plug it in the 12V socket.
blackwasp is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 14:32   #7
BANNED

So would an aftermarket HU that supports fast charging via the USB port solve the issue? I am anyway searching for options to replace the HU in my Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Further, wireless Android Auto will enable you to use the charger of your choice than remain stuck with the one on the head unit. You can plug it in the 12V socket.
Yes sir. That's what I mentioned in my post too (last para).

Quote:
If Android Auto goes wireless, I can have the Android Auto working for me plus fast charging happening simultaneously.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 17:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
For now, Android Auto Wireless will be limited to the North American region.
I can confirm that Android Auto wireless works in India. This update came along with the new UI update.

Headunit: Kenwood DMX905S
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 13:00   #9
BHPian

Android Auto wireless now available in India.

Initially, Android Auto solely worked through a USB connection. But in April 2018, Google rolled out Wireless Android Auto for Google Pixel and Nexus phones, allowing them to connect to compatible head units through Wi-Fi Direct. However, in addition to having a compatible head unit and an Android smartphone, you also need to be living in a country that supports Android Auto. This list of countries was expanded with the inclusion of 15 nations from Latin America, and now Wireless Android Auto support is being extended to more countries in Europe, as well as to India, Australia and more.

The new regions where wireless Android Auto will now be supported, in addition to the above countries, is as below:
Australia
Austria
Germany
France
India
Ireland
Italy
New Zealand
Philippines
Singapore
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom

Link to the full article: https://www.xda-developers.com/wirel...east-asia/amp/
Old 28th March 2020, 13:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyDriver View Post
Android Auto wireless now available in India.
How is the wireless feature activated on the Hyundai Creta 2019 model? Now Android Auto is working with the USB cable connected.
Is any update required for the Display unit?
Old 29th March 2020, 15:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Nice-to-have, but certainly not a must-have. Reason = there's one more advantage to plugging that Android Auto cable into your phone. It gets charged simultaneously! And god knows the smartphones of today need it. Whenever I'm driving, by habit, the first thing I do is plug the 12v power cable into my phone.
It will free up the USB slot in cars, and less hardware to connect thru.

Overall I am unable to see the merit of Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.
I feels it causes the eyes of the road and is more dangerous then using the phone whislt driving.

And its odd that our old Nokia's had voice dialing, but that is not possible in today's smartphones.
Old 31st March 2020, 06:01   #12
BHPian

Any idea the old S-Cross head unit supports the wireless Android auto?

As the wireless feature is rolled out in India, if some one can come up with list of cars support this feature in our market, will be of great help.
Old 31st March 2020, 08:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from BMW, I am unaware of any other manufacturer who has announced Indian availability of wireless AA.

https://www.motor1.com/news/387251/b...to-all-models/

BMW had a goal of introducing it from July 2020 (iDrive 7.0 onwards) including online updates to activate it for certain existing models, but with COVID-19 anything can happen.
Old 31st March 2020, 10:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Any idea the old S-Cross head unit supports the wireless Android auto?
I doubt if this unit has the wireless option. I will give it a shot this week and see if this works as i also have the old Scross. If not then the option would be to use another phone as a slave and get it done. Below links have more details.

https://www.xda-developers.com/wirel...android-phone/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...813163/page268

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
I doubt if this unit has the wireless option. I will give it a shot this week and see if this works as i also have the old Scross. If not then the option would be to use another phone as a slave and get it done. Below links have more details.

https://www.xda-developers.com/wirel...android-phone/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...813163/page268

Thanks
Hello Zaveed,

Were you able to set wireless AA up using a slave phone? Keen to know the results. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks