Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 16:38   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
I usually use USB as a source and have observed this while listening. However I'll check the CD spin-up thing as you suggested and get back with the findings.
okay. i even checked the CD spin as suggested, but the noise seems to be independent of it. its a continuous noise coming for any source except the radio.!

what could be the reason???
Old 14th January 2009, 19:45   #47
BHPian

hi again, a small update..

now that i've got an amp (gt5-a604) installed, the hissing noise getting amplified as well.
one cannot make it when the music is on or the HU is set to mute, but while a track is paused or there is gap in the songs, it persists. is it some problem with the HU itself? and if it is a grounding issue, why does the hiss comes only when the track is paused or there is a gap and does not comes when we mute the HU?

good thing is, even though I got the el cheapo BOSS cables installed and even though the power and rca cables are running together, apart from this hissing noise (which was already present before the amp install) there is no other noise creeping in..!

the car in consideration is an alto with pio 5050 HU and JBL gt5 series speakers and amp. Front 402, Rear 963 and amp a604. need advise guys.

Quote:
Lately, I've observed in my pio 5050 setup, whenever I reduce the volume to 0, a mild hissing noise can be clearly made out. This noise increases with the increase in the volume.

Surprisingly, the hissing disappears in the following two scenarios,

1. If I mute the system rather than reducing the volume at 0
2. If I am listening to radio

In both the cases, the hissing is not present.

What could be the reason for this? Like I said, I am not using an amp, so the grounding problem at RCA output is surely not the problem.

Please suggest what should be done in order to handle this problem. This becomes very annoying when I'm are waiting for the next track!

Last edited by cyclops : 14th January 2009 at 19:53. Reason: added details
Old 14th January 2009, 19:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Damn i am facing the problem of the whining which increases with RPM and its in my NHC.
Changed the HU from 6x50 /7x50 to 3050UB.
Still the same problem.
What should i do.
Old 16th January 2009, 14:05   #49
BHPian

bump.. no suggestions?

I also checked out all the Tbhp threads regarding this issue and also some international forums. But no one seems to be knowing the exact way to handle this.

This hiss is very annoying, please help.!

Quote:
hi again, a small update..

now that i've got an amp (gt5-a604) installed, the hissing noise getting amplified as well.
one cannot make it when the music is on or the HU is set to mute, but while a track is paused or there is gap in the songs, it persists. is it some problem with the HU itself? and if it is a grounding issue, why does the hiss comes only when the track is paused or there is a gap and does not comes when we mute the HU?

good thing is, even though I got the el cheapo BOSS cables installed and even though the power and rca cables are running together, apart from this hissing noise (which was already present before the amp install) there is no other noise creeping in..!

the car in consideration is an alto with pio 5050 HU and JBL gt5 series speakers and amp. Front 402, Rear 963 and amp a604. need advise guys.
Old 16th January 2009, 15:01   #50
BHPian

Guess what? I found the culprit..
It was the EQ set to powerful. When set on flat, the hissing is not present!

I read on some intnl. forum that for some, setting the EQ settings on Flat has worked, so tried it right away.!

Happy Me! Never thought the EQ settings might be associated with the hissing!

Quote:
bump.. no suggestions?

I also checked out all the Tbhp threads regarding this issue and also some international forums. But no one seems to be knowing the exact way to handle this.

This hiss is very annoying, please help.!
Old 16th August 2010, 11:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Tried Everything - No Solution Yet. Help!

Hi guys,

I have a Pioneer 6950 HU which I have been using since 5 years now. I have always had alternator whine from day one but it has not been very audible bcoz my JBL components were anyway not producing detailed sound. I had JBL 6X9s at the rear. I ignored this. Installation is fine with power cables and RCAs running seperately apart on either side of the car. Now, I recently upgraded my speakers to Morel Tempos and the alternator whine & hiss is very audible now. This could be bcoz the speakers are more sensitive and clearer than my previous JBLs. So during the installation, I had the installer ground loop the RCAs at the rear of the HU, the whine was less audible like before but hiss was still there.

Now I went out of station and happened to hit a hard bump and started getting very bad alternator whine and engine noise. I can even hear a sound/whine when I operate my windsheild washer spray!! This is really irritating and I just can't seem to enjoy my beautiful music system. Who is the culprit here? HU, Amp or RCA?

What should I do? Kindly help please!!
Old 17th August 2010, 10:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Grounding, both the regular harness ground as well as the amp ground. Have them redone, preferably with a copper washer to improve contact.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Grounding, both the regular harness ground as well as the amp ground. Have them redone, preferably with a copper washer to improve contact.
Is the reason only the grounding or could it be the Pico Fuse of the Pioneer HU? That usually seems to be the common issue with alternator whine or any other sound related to ICE especially those with Pioneer HUs.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

No, the Fuse will not induce noise in the HU.
Old 21st September 2010, 16:40   #55
BHPian

one more solution.

Hi guys,

Found a solution on the net to stop the whining noise, check the link below.

Pioneer HU, Alternator Whine Fix

Even i have the same problem in my 7950UB HU, Guys at DRIVEN were not able to eliminate it so I'll try this and get back with the result.

If the solution has already been given on the thread then my bad.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:08   #56

Pioneer head unit issues

Ok, I had this issue with my Pioneer DEH-9600MP. I found out that the RCA inputs inside the unit had a poor ground wire.

Here's what I did that cured the alternator whine.

I got some 16 gauge speaker wire and disconnected the RCA's from the back of the unit. I then split some wires and twirled it around each pair of RCA inputs, then applied solder to them so it maintained shape and was a nice fit around the RCA inputs. I done it to all three RCA inputs and then connected the RCA's back to the unit and powered it up and my ground loop issue was solved. Ground loop can be caused by the source unit, bad ground in amps and the car chasis as well, so in theory I checked all of these before taking the head unit out. I have noticed that Pioneer head units have poor grounds for RCA which results to this ground loop issue.

Hope this information is helpful to all with Pioneer head unit engine noise issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks