Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2007, 08:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Great job!,im inspired to do it again.
Just a few Qs,
How did you manage to get pin 7 to fit in place without falling out.Solder??
Do you have and amp and a sub,and are they working properly with this wire?

Last edited by binz : 7th January 2007 at 08:49.
Old 7th January 2007, 08:59   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire View Post
Hey navin....is there any other name for heat shrink???...cause the eletronic comp shops out here have no clue what a Heat shrink is.....Any common name??
Ask them for the SLEEVE joh hair dryer se chota hota hai. Thats what they ask for here.
Old 7th January 2007, 09:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Ask them for the SLEEVE joh hair dryer se chota hota hai. Thats what they ask for here.
Yup..did that...but no luck..Out here they use those shinny metal ones..springy types used in home audio.......Nd of course insulation tapes
So tot of gettin some from banglre...
Old 7th January 2007, 09:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I can courier you some if you like. Let me know.
Old 7th January 2007, 12:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I can courier you some if you like. Let me know.
Sure Sam...thanks a lot..really appreciate your help...first Will try again for it out here itself....Wil pm you if i cant find it...
Old 7th January 2007, 12:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Great job!,im inspired to do it again.
Just a few Qs,
How did you manage to get pin 7 to fit in place without falling out.Solder??
Do you have and amp and a sub,and are they working properly with this wire?

For the pin no. 7 i used the same 4-pin cd-rom audio connector and chopped off 2 pins with a blade so that it tightly fits in place. The connectors are big and stick out of the plug so, i'll put a zip-tie ( used by mall shops to tie the shopping bags) around the connector to make it like a plug.

I have the following ICE setup :

Front JBL components and Rear JBL 2 -way connected/powered by HU. A 300.1 JBL amp running a 12" JBL tube. Yes, all of them work perfectly with the i-pod.
Old 7th January 2007, 16:17   #37
BHPian

i also got a aux in for the ipod done from local accesory wala for 300 bucks
the sq wasnt good and anyway the hu was giving me way too many troubles
it was the 6850(dual panel) so I sold it for 6k(bought for 22k 3 years ago) and got myself a sony gtx550 with aux in
Old 8th January 2007, 10:08   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.Out here they use those shinny metal ones..springy types used in home audio.......
Now I am confused. Heat sleeve looks liek rubber tubing. you get various diameters (sizes) and you really need one that just about fits around the insulation of your wire. You can use a hair dryer but since I have an Infra Red gun I use that instead.

I dont know where I get my heat sleeve from. You see I work in a company that makes eletronics so the purchase dept does that part. Our office in Bangalore also has no trouble obtaining this locally so I assumed it was freely available.
Old 8th January 2007, 10:19   #39
Team-BHP Support

Heat sleeves are available easily here at SP road. Even the purchase department in my office orders these from SP road in various sizes.

I use some sort of heater gun dont know if it's infrared.

angelfire, does mangalore have an area like SP road where you get all computer or electronics stuff. you could check there.
Old 8th January 2007, 17:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Heat sleeves are available easily here at SP road. Even the purchase department in my office orders these from SP road in various sizes.

I use some sort of heater gun dont know if it's infrared.

angelfire, does mangalore have an area like SP road where you get all computer or electronics stuff. you could check there.
No vid,..there aint no place like that..Wish there was!!...Wel out here...the electronic shops are scattered all around the city...Got to go lookin for it..Wil try doin that..
Nd navin..if i can get a pic of that spring stuffs..wil def post it..It looks very primitive...
Old 15th January 2007, 22:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
excellent work. see if you can get some heat shrink tubing and use that instead of electrical tape.
OK, i happened to goto SP road with a friend of mine some days ago and i remebered this heat shrink tube that was talked about in this topic. So i got some for myself. It's a shop called "Cable Craft" on SP road that knew what exactly i was talking about and other shopwallas had no clue whatsoever.

So next thing to do was remove the elctrical tape of the wire and put some heat shrink tube. I did this with a hair dryer and once the tube was in its place i pulled over another piece of the tube on the original one just to make it more strong.

It sure looks much more neat now .
Old 17th January 2007, 10:58   #42
BHPian

Hi guys,
Since this thread is named as DIY thread...tot i`d post out here only...moving from cables..lets come to speakers...
I have a pair of kenwood 4"..that come with the esteem...Pics below...quite decent soundin though...in terms of calrity...but disorts a lot even if the volume is turned up a bit nd could not handle high power.....i removed nd replaced it with JBL....Now since they are lyin around tot i`d do somethin with them....like modifying them...for better use mating it with tweeters nd using it as comps...if possible that is...(i know am asking for too much from those 4 inchers....but whts the harm in tryin..)
Wanted to try makin 4" comps with jbl co-axials......but am quite happy with them...so tot i`d attack the kenwood speakers instead...

so All you diy`ers out there...want your inputs on this..anythin i can change to improve the sound....Especially navinji...
Well..this is for my info...
1.Wht decides the power handling of a speaker??
2.Does the size of the magnet affect the quality of the sound?
Old 17th January 2007, 11:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

I think this is how a cd-rom also can be attached to the car ive seen ,y cousin in chandigarah has a cd-writer attached to Pioneer Deh3550 cassette player, it used to sound to clear.
Old 17th January 2007, 12:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
Since this thread is named as DIY thread...tot i`d post out here only...moving from cables..lets come to speakers...
I have a pair of kenwood 4"..that come with the esteem...Pics below...quite decent soundin though...in terms of calrity...but disorts a lot even if the volume is turned up a bit nd could not handle high power.....i removed nd replaced it with JBL....Now since they are lyin around tot i`d do somethin with them....like modifying them...for better use mating it with tweeters nd using it as comps...if possible that is...(i know am asking for too much from those 4 inchers....but whts the harm in tryin..)
Wanted to try makin 4" comps with jbl co-axials......but am quite happy with them...so tot i`d attack the kenwood speakers instead...

so All you diy`ers out there...want your inputs on this..anythin i can change to improve the sound....Especially navinji...
Well..this is for my info...
1.Wht decides the power handling of a speaker??
2.Does the size of the magnet affect the quality of the sound?

1. Power handling: essentially of 2 types, mechanical and thermal. Mechanical power handling is determined by the suspension parts, glues used, integrity of the assemble etc. Thermal power handling is merely how much current the voice coil can take. The speaker in the picture must be about 15 W rms at best.
2. Size of magnet: It is one of the two main electrical parts of the transducer we know as the loudspeaker, the other being the voice coil. Magnet is responsible for the static field. Larger magnets can increase the flux density and damp the voice coil movement and keep it well controlled. However, the fluxshould be optimum, and hence it does not mean that largest of magnets will have the best sound. It depends on the rest of the parts of the motor also. At the same time, a tiny magnet will mean inadequate flux, control, and hence poor sound.
Old 17th January 2007, 12:26   #45
Team-BHP Support

angel, B&T has covered much of what you need. you could work with this driver if you limit it's input to 200Hz+.

a) Try using a bass blocker (which is really only a large capacitor in series with the speaker).

b) If after the bass blocker you find the HF a bit harsh you could build a simple 1st order LPF for the woofer and mate it with an alternate tweeter (not the Pio TS20 though - that tweeter is also quite tizzy). Most tweeters need atleast a 2nd order HPF, some prefer higher order XOs. If you are using a 2nd order HPF for the tweeter remember to reverse the phase.

if all this talk excites you and you want to know more just say so. The Gurus will surely chip in and satisfy you.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks