Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2019, 13:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface

Google has updated the Android Auto in-car interface with a new look and improved navigation. The update is expected to be rolled out to compatible devices later this summer.

The update includes new fonts and colour accents which are claimed to improve visibility to the driver. The notification center is also updated and also shows recent calls, messages and alerts. Android Auto will also continue playing media and navigation app of the driver's choice without users having to restart them after connecting to the car. The navigation screen has also been revised allowing users to control both navigation and their music from the same screen. The software has been tweaked to accommodate various sizes of screens.

Android Auto is available in over 500 cars from 50 different manufacturers. It was first released in 2015.

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-screenshot-20190507-1.40.46-pm.png

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-screenshot-20190507-1.40.58-pm.png

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-screenshot-20190507-1.41.12-pm.png

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-screenshot-20190507-1.41.22-pm.png

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-screenshot-20190507-1.41.31-pm.png

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th May 2019 at 12:41. Reason: Removing video as it no longer exists. If you have a replacement please share it via report post. Thanks.
blackwasp is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 15:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Google to roll out new Android Auto interface

A comprehensive update to Android Auto is much needed. The basic UI has been long in the tooth, being essentially the same since release. Aside from UI enhancements, some things I would expect from this release :-
1) Phone mirroring (in-built, NOT via miracast).
2) Faster response - the one major grouse, speed, fluidity of animations lacks severely in most of the cars, hope some software optimization takes care of this to some extent.
3) Wireless connectivity for devices with Bluetooth 3 - Max bandwidth of 25 Mbps, hence I refuse to believe that it's insufficient for streaming content/map info.
4) Video streaming - YouTube, Netflix, Prime etc. I know first thing people will say it would be distracting for the driver, but it would be nice for the co driver to have that option, imagine sitting in the co driver's munching treats & watching Stranger things with surround sound.
5) Greater app compatibility (Think Zomato, Bookmyshow, Truecaller)
6) Ability to display messages on screen as opposed to just reading them by Google aunty.
superbad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 08:35   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This darker theme looks sexy ! Also love the widescreen option.

Newbie question = would all the cars running the old Android Auto interface get automatically updated to the new one? If so, how? Using the connected smartphone's internet? Or will it be more of an update rolled out by the manufacturer when your car goes in for a service?
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 10:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Newbie question = would all the cars running the old Android Auto interface get automatically updated to the new one? If so, how? Using the connected smartphone's internet? Or will it be more of an update rolled out by the manufacturer when your car goes in for a service?
I believe the OEM can update only the software running in the infotainment system and does not have control over Android auto, apart from making their software compatible with it.

In this case, once the phone app is updated with the new Andriod Auto app from Playstore and connected to the infotainment system, the new interface will be active.
Added_flavor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 12:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
A comprehensive update to Android Auto is much needed. The basic UI has been long in the tooth, being essentially the same since release. Aside from UI enhancements, some things I would expect from this release :-

4) Video streaming - YouTube, Netflix, Prime etc. I know first thing people will say it would be distracting for the driver, but it would be nice for the co driver to have that option, imagine sitting in the co driver's munching treats & watching Stranger things with surround sound.
5) Greater app compatibility (Think Zomato, Bookmyshow, Truecaller)
6) Ability to display messages on screen as opposed to just reading them by Google aunty.
Some of the changes that you expect defy the basic logic of having AA or CarPlay. The motive is safety and it cannot be achieved if you start seeing videos, messages and other input heavy apps on the screen. I don't think this will ever happen.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 13:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:

I think that the applications on our phones will be updated. I have to use my S9's data cable to enable android auto in my Verna. So I guess they'll update the app via an ota update
Old 14th May 2019, 23:15   #7

I'm loving the dark theme and the new UI which is following the same design language of other Google apps. I don't know about others, personally I want to get this update as I use Android Auto all the time. Everytime I sit on my car the first thing I do is start Android Auto. Super excited for the update. Android Auto is truly a very useful tool which I think every car should have. Personally I feel it's million times better than Apple car play.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th May 2019 at 05:51. Reason: Corrected a sentence. Thanks.
Old 15th May 2019, 15:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
I think that the applications on our phones will be updated. I have to use my S9's data cable to enable android auto in my Verna. So I guess they'll update the app via an ota update
Android Auto runs on your phone, uses your phone data, cellular network, GPS, maps, music and other apps. The phone is connected to the car via either a USB cable or wire free (in some new HU's).

There will be no change needed for the car to show the new UI as the UI is streamed from the phone over the cable.

Everyone will have new UI enabled for them via an update in the Play Store. There is no need for the manufacturers to do anything.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 16:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

The Android Auto pales in comparison to Apple Car Play. Especially Google Maps.

I have always found android phones to be on par with iPhones on most occasions and of course they both ace up at some aspect or the other, but the way G-Maps work on an iPhone in Car Play format is awesome, the screen, the resolution, the data, its not the same in android auto.

The entire layout pales in comparison plus the integration [readouts, no prompts of searches, recent history or POI's] is just better.

Really need the update.
Old 9th June 2019, 21:51   #10
BHPian

I'm really excited for the update. Looks way more cooler than the current UI. Especially the dark theme, which matches my phone's complete black theme. One issue I had with the current UI was lag, it wasn't deal breaking and I don't know if it was to do with the car ( car in question was a friend's creta )

Now the wait begins.

Last edited by SaiSW : 9th June 2019 at 21:52.
Old 12th June 2019, 17:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

When is this new version of Android Auto being released? I am still on the older version that is not as sleek. I checked my phone and do not see any update yet on that app.
Old 12th June 2019, 19:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
When is this new version of Android Auto being released? I am still on the older version that is not as sleek. I checked my phone and do not see any update yet on that app.
They have not yet launched the new version. They are planning to launch it over the North American summer (i.e., July/August).
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 23:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The AA application in the phone will only need the update. After the update, all AA compatible HUs will have the new look & feel for AA.

I run AA almost 100% of the time I spend in the car, so really looking forward for this update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
1) Phone mirroring (in-built, NOT via miracast).
I don't think mirroring and video streaming are features you can expect in an official release of AA. However, there are (were) ways to mirror your phone's screen via AA, I had managed to do it in my rooted phone with the help of AA_unlock and AA_mirror apks. Below picture shows Youtube playing in the phone, which is mirrored to my car's HU via AA.

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-mirror.jpg

Here's another interesting case of mirroring, where I ran the camera application and placed the phone in front of the HU

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-dsc_0002.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 12th June 2019 at 23:17.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 00:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The Android Auto pales in comparison to Apple Car Play. Especially Google Maps.

I have always found android phones to be on par with iPhones on most occasions and of course they both ace up at some aspect or the other, but the way G-Maps work on an iPhone in Car Play format is awesome, the screen, the resolution, the data, its not the same in android auto.

The entire layout pales in comparison plus the integration [readouts, no prompts of searches, recent history or POI's] is just better.

Really need the update.
I tend to disagree. AA is way better in terms of usability than Apple's CP. I had a tough time even trying to use Google Music on CP, whereas the integration is very fluid in AA. Not only that, the apps interact very well with the maps, same goes about the calling.
Yes, it looks a bit pretty in CP, but that's like the only advantage it has.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 09:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I tend to disagree. AA is way better in terms of usability than Apple's CP. I had a tough time even trying to use Google Music on CP, whereas the integration is very fluid in AA. Not only that, the apps interact very well with the maps, same goes about the calling.
Yes, it looks a bit pretty in CP, but that's like the only advantage it has.
Agree. AA and Google Music integration is excellent. I have been using Google Music in AA for 1 year and later switched to Amazon Music since I subscribed to Prime. I have to say Amazon Music's user experience in AA is terrible compared to Google Music in AA. Amazon Music app always greets me with the same track that's first in the songs list of the app, irrespective of where I left of in my previous session! Amazon Music app needs more 'pampering' in order to keep playing your favorite contents without having to create playlists. In Google Music, it lets you start a 'radio station' based on your favorite music track, so you don't have to fiddle with the app often. The AI and recommendations in Google Music is far better.

Thinking of spending that extra Rs 99 pm. to subscribe to Google Music again, even though I have a prime membership.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th June 2019 at 09:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks