Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 10:51   #1
BHPian

Which compact subwoofer should I buy?

After a lot of calculations and discussions, I've decided to keep my Wagon R a little longer. Now that I dropped plan to buy a new car, I want to upgrade my current car to satisfy my cravings for a new purchase.

My current ICE includes :
  • HU - Blaupunkt New Jersey 220 BT (50W x 4 + 4-pre-amp outs + sub out)
  • Front - Polk Audio db6501 (250W RMS)
  • Rear - Polk audio (forgot part number; it has speaker with co-centric tweeter)

The front speakers are 35-20000 Hz range. Hence they already go low enough, but with lack of better enclosure, can't perform deep down. Now to complete the frequency band and to complement these speakers, I'm planning to add a sub.

As my Wagon R burns CNG, the gas tank fills the boot. Plus, because the boot is non-existent, parcel tray can't be compromised. Space is a big constraint! Hence I think my options are limited to under-seat or removable tube type sub. (I don't know if there is another option for me; but I'm open to suggestions)

My requirement is clean, deep, distortion-free bass. Car is a already a compact room, smaller volume is also loud enough. To me, quality is more important to quantity. Could you experts please suggest me good options? My budgets is ~10k.

P.S. I'm posting this question because there isn't enough data/reviews for subs available in India.
akshye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which compact subwoofer should I buy?

Hi,

Use under-seat subwoofers. They are compact and can give a decent effect.

You get them in multiple brands starting from 7k onwards.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th September 2020 at 20:08. Reason: Punctuation added
iceman91 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 23:36   #3
BHPian

Re: Which compact subwoofer should I buy?

I have a Blaupunkt XLF 8A in the boot of my EcoSport and am very happy with the output of the sub. Do check it out.

Which compact subwoofer should I buy?-img_20190513_191431.jpg
suku_patel_22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 12:13   #4
BHPian

Since your HU has a sub pre out and controls, i would suggest you go with a shallow sub woofer and a basic 2 channel amp in bridged mode. Will come in your budget. The one that i have tagged below is quite small and you can check the dimensions before purchase. The amp can go below your front seat. You can get a removable plug installed in the boot, so that remove the subwoofer, when you need the space. The punch this type of set up will give, is not achievable with an under seat subwoofer. If this set up will not fit in the boot, then you can look into the under seat subwoofer, which generally come with an inbuilt amp.

https://www.amazon.in/Pioneer-TS-WX306B-12-inch-Enclosure-Black/dp/B01N2693BN/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=8inch+subwoofer&qid=158399495 4&sr=8-26

https://www.amazon.in/Pioneer-GM-A3702-Channel-Amplifier-Black/dp/B01LXCXAFS/ref=pd_sim_23_6/261-6270843-0453835?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LXCXAFS&pd_rd_r= 72b8ba7e-2cbd-4e9e-92ed-b3385ca802b1&pd_rd_w=b1XJ7&pd_rd_wg=TOYrG&pf_rd_p= fe794208-e595-403a-bd8f-38e8fc8bd3df&pf_rd_r=QQ5TVN34N0DCS9NQ82QV&psc=1&re fRID=QQ5TVN34N0DCS9NQ82QV

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-TS-WX130EA-Pioneer/dp/B07G37WQ2P/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=underseat+subwoofer&qid=15839 95368&sr=8-18
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 12:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Infinity Shallow 12" sub in my Storme, powered off a 5-channel Class-D amp. I have not pushed the sub much since I dont want lose focus on the rest of the spectrum. However, sometimes I wonder if the sub is actually helping.

Since you have a Wagon-R, you could look at a powered sub box under the seat, or a 10" shallow sub. If you want a non-powered sub, do check the minimum volume required for the box (it will be available in the documentation of the sub - and confirm that the box you will make for the sub will fit under the seat. I would suggest not to go for any 8" subs (if they are available).
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 13:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye;4767229
My current ICE includes :[LIST
[*]HU - Blaupunkt New Jersey 220 BT (50W x 4 + 4-pre-amp outs + sub out)[*]Front - Polk Audio db6501 (250W RMS)[*]Rear - Polk audio (forgot part number; it has speaker with co-centric tweeter)[/list]
As my Wagon R burns CNG, the gas tank fills the boot.
Firstly, in case you did not know, we have a thread dedicated to under-seat subwoofers.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...woofers-6.html (Underseat Subwoofers)

I do not know how much space you have under the seat and if this space can accommodate a larger 10" woofer vs a smaller 8" one but I would recommend sticking to the better-known brands like Blaupunkt, Infinity, JBL, and Morel or maybe even Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood, and Pioneer over less known brands.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 13:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Firstly, in case you did not know, we have a thread dedicated to under-seat subwoofers.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...woofers-6.html (Underseat Subwoofers)
Yes. I am reading all the threads on this forum associated with subwoofers.
Quote:
I do not know how much space you have under the seat and if this space can accommodate a larger 10" woofer vs a smaller 8" one but I would recommend sticking to the better-known brands like Blaupunkt, Infinity, JBL, and Morel or maybe even Rockford Fosgate, Kenwood, and Pioneer over less known brands.
Primary reason for raising a new thread is, sadly, I'm unable to find any shops to demo anything. Whatever I listen on YouTube is funky crazy loud noise under reviews for Indian sub models. It's becoming hard for me to select based on these inputs.

I absolutely don't need loud sub (Maruti will shake more than the sub cone if I do that). But I want full range coverage at low volumes. (On my Balupunkt NJ 220BT max volume I play is 16 - beyond that doors turn into cymbal )
I am looking for a subwoofer that produces deep and clean lows, at low input levels - to play full band of my music. Additionally I don't like tight bass; I prefer ported sub over sealed one. Hence the question.
Old 19th March 2020, 15:09   #8
BHPian

I use an Alpine PWE-V80 and couldn't be happier. It fits under the driver's seat. The bass is clean and distortion free at all volumes. It nicely fills out my system - I run components both front and rear, HPF at 80Hz for super crisp audio.

It comes with a wired remote that offers LPF, bass level and phase selection on the fly.

I checked out a few installs and then settled on this as this offered the best quality. The build quality is also impeccable - Solid metal construction. Kit comes with everything necessary for the install except the coaxial cables. I use Amazon Basics for that.

I will soon be moving to all active setup. At that time, I plan to buy one more of this to go under the passenger seat. The amplifiers will be moved to the space behind the rear seat.

Sub:
https://www.amazon.in/Alpine-PWE-V80/dp/B00J57FJGY/

Cable:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01D5H8PQ0/

On Amazon Motorogue and theWinkel are both excellent sellers to buy from.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Which compact subwoofer should I buy?-alpine-1.jpg  

Which compact subwoofer should I buy?-alpine-2.jpg  

Tassem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 16:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dear Gurus
Have a noob question.

Can a shallow mount subwoofer in enclosure fit below the seat.
Have a tight budget of Rs. 10K and am not getting really good options in the under seat active sub woofers.

So the thought was :
1) Shallow Sub woofer 8in or 10in
2) Enclosure
3) 2 Channel Amp in bridged mode.

Underseat Subs considered:
1) Pioneer 130 EA(Approx. Rs. 9300/- on Moto rogue)
2) Blaupunkt(Rs. 11.7K)
3) Nippon (Rs. 8.5K)
4) MBQ(Imported- Rs.9.5K)
5) Hamaan HMUS8(Rs. 7.5K)
6) Xenos Tusker(Rs. 8K)

Any help will be highly welcome.
Old 28th September 2020, 17:20   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Can a shallow mount subwoofer in enclosure fit below the seat? Have a tight budget of Rs. 10K and am not getting really good options in the under-seat active subwoofers.
Not many shallow mount options in the budget you have mentioned. I feel it is best to get an underseat subwoofer (active) and fix it. Shall be an 'all-in-one' kind without any extra work.

From the list, get either the Pioneer or Blaupunkt underseat subwoofer.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
I have a Blaupunkt XLF 8A in the boot of my EcoSport and am very happy with the output of the sub.
How is it performing for you in the past 1 year. I am hunting for one and just came by this post. Thought of checking on with you before proceeding further.
Old 5th March 2021, 07:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How is it performing for you in the past 1 year. I am hunting for one and just came by this post. Thought of checking on with you before proceeding further.
I am happy with it. It fills in the low end beautifully. It doesn't have car shattering bass but a filling undertone to it. I like it. Not too much, just enough.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 11:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the blaupunkt XLF 10A? I have a Sony XS AW8, but feel 17k is a bit steep.

The Blaupunkt is significantly cheaper, has a bigger driver but looks like a plastic enclosure.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd September 2023 at 08:21. Reason: Poorly typed post.
Old 10th September 2023, 12:10   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... but looks like a plastic enclosure.
The enclosure should not be an issue, isnt it ? Coming from Blau, it should be a suitable enclosure. And the sub will just be sitting in one place. Not touched, not used for anything else.
Old 10th September 2023, 13:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yes but plastic can have resonances if made or designed without due care. So does metal. But in different ways.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd September 2023 at 08:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks