Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 10:40   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
See? Didn't I tell you hanging around us ICE folks is gonna be fun?
You know I did a double take when I read that. "it sounded like hainging around ICEd folks is gonna be fun"
Old 19th April 2007, 11:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
However having multiple 8" woofers has it's own advatanges.
Navin-ji, what would those advantages be?

Forgive me for being persistent, but you are the diamond mine and I am patiently digging!
Old 19th April 2007, 11:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Navin-ji, what would those advantages be?

Forgive me for being persistent, but you are the diamond mine and I am patiently digging!
Having multiple 8 inch will take less space....will be fast....will need lesser power when compared to the 12 inch one......rest Navin Ji will clearify more......
Old 19th April 2007, 11:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If Mr. Icy 'Nasal' Silkdealer wants to do a sequel to Shaka-laka-whatever, he can commission Sam for the lyrics!
Thank you - the Yeti by himself is a handful. I doubt if we can handle a cocktail.

Quote:
Waiting for the continuation with baited breath, Navin-ji ...
Dont bait him - he doesnt bite.

Quote:
Practical problem: where would I put the EQ if I have only 1DIN space?
There's plenty of unused acreage in that console in the middle. Some fabrication should take care of it - ANYTHING to take that blasted shiny paint off the console will look better.

Quote:
Wow! Would love to see photos of you install. Wiring must have been quite a challenge.
1. I cant really call my setup an 'install' - that term should be reserved for the rather professional jobs that the chaps here do. Mine's just a few components wired for some sound.

2. Its not too bad actually. Amp goes on the floor carpet and fits neatly under the ECU because the ECU is screwed the one of the beams on the seat riser. Crossovers are stuck with double-side tape onto the sides of the seat riser.

Quote:
How did you mount the compos on the doors?
Ask v1p3r - he knows some chap called Thouqeer who does these things and he did the job.
Old 19th April 2007, 13:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin-ji, what would those advantages be!
If you were digging you'd find the answers in the comparing T/S specs of some good 8" and 12" woofer. Remember we re comapring 2 8" woofers (total Sd of about 400cm2) to 1 12" woofer (same Sd as 2 8" woofers).

What you will notice is the that the B/L ratio of 8" woofers (of the same pedigree) is usually much higher. This gives the impression that 8" woofers are "faster" than their 12" brethern.

A pair of 8" woofer is usually more sensitive than a single 12".

lastly one can use 2 8" woofers in push-pull, Isobarik, D'appolito, etc..(this does NOT apply to car audio). Try doing the same with a single 12" :-)
Old 1st May 2007, 14:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If you were digging you'd find the answers in the comparing T/S specs of some good 8" and 12" woofer. Remember we re comapring 2 8" woofers (total Sd of about 400cm2) to 1 12" woofer (same Sd as 2 8" woofers).

What you will notice is the that the B/L ratio of 8" woofers (of the same pedigree) is usually much higher. This gives the impression that 8" woofers are "faster" than their 12" brethern.

A pair of 8" woofer is usually more sensitive than a single 12".

lastly one can use 2 8" woofers in push-pull, Isobarik, D'appolito, etc..(this does NOT apply to car audio). Try doing the same with a single 12" :-)
Thank you, Navin-ji, you awakened something I had given up on 20 years back. Yes, I used to dabble with speaker boxes, till software took over my life - I am right now limping back to normalcy!!!

Sorry for posting so late, I was in Germany for the last 10 days. Got an evening to do a scan at Media Markt, Hannover - the crazy Electronics supermarket chain that one can find in any German city. Had a serious listening session with most drivers and HUs we talk about on T-BHP, and then some. Confused myself out of buying anything - prices sounded similar to Indian prices with B&W. But, made up my mind about putting either JBLs or Infinity's in my Safari (the 130mm JBLs sounded ein bischen louder than Infinitys in my test - Blau London HU, Blau amp, an aisle full of more than 50 different driver sets and SWs).

Haven't licked my sub problem yet - still mentally shuttling between putting a 10" below the passenger seat and putting 2 10" in a triangular x-section box in the boot going the width of the compartment.

Questions:
1. Can anyone tell me who sells (with B&W) Image Dynamics subs in Bangalore?
2. Are there any passive subs (without magnet and coil; not the ready-made boxes) out there?
Old 1st May 2007, 17:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

which other brands did you listened to....
Old 1st May 2007, 17:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

2. 8" woofers (all things remaining equal) are usually shallower than their 12" counterparts. Why not try a few. In fact you could even try a set of 4 6" woofers. Blaupunkt makes a 6" woofer that is shallow I just dont remember the model number).

Hi Navin,
I am no audio guru - was just reading thru the thread & thought I may be able to provide some (maybe) useful information.....

Blaupunkt Active Sub.
Model THb 200A - 140W
Dimensions in mm 340 x 71 (max 79) x225

Hope that helps

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 1st May 2007 at 17:52.
Old 1st May 2007, 20:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
which other brands did you listened to....
In alphabetical order: Alpine, Blau, Canton (looked like Infinity xeroxed), Hertz, Infinity, JBL, JL, JVC, Kenwood, Kicker, Magnat (decent stuff), Polk, Pio (cheapest of the lot!), RF, Sony, ... some good and bad German / French / Italian local makes. Amps, Components, Coaxes, HUs, Subs. Believe you me, the mid-boggling array makes it more difficult to select. For me some were an automatic no-no: no support in APAC, let alone India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Blaupunkt Active Sub.
Model THb 200A - 140W
Dimensions in mm 340 x 71 (max 79) x225
Thanks, Ricky.

Actually I am searching for drone units with just the cone, surround, spider and frame, which I can experiment with in a custom box. Didn't want to make them myself - the digits are not that deft anymore, and Bangalore has neither Lajpatrai Market nor Lamington Road!!!
Old 1st May 2007, 23:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a nice thread. I see I have been part of the festivities, without even being here. lol

Sehr Gut. DerAlte, do let us know the conclusion to your audio adventure.
Old 2nd May 2007, 00:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/233849-post9.html

A nice pair of 3-way from infinty.........hope you like it.........
Old 2nd May 2007, 00:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
This is a nice thread. I see I have been part of the festivities, without even being here. lol

Sehr Gut. DerAlte, do let us know the conclusion to your audio adventure.
Oye dhan bhag hamare - hun jageya sher!!! OK, OK, let me not stretch my limited P capabilities.

Thanks, Sam, I was waiting for you to join the conversation to ask:
What IS the difference in the Kappa and Reference series of Infinity? In the live test at Media Markt one couldn't make out (me and a couple of friends). Kappa compos were double the price!?!?
What would Kappa 130mm 2-way compos cost in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/233849-post9.html

A nice pair of 3-way from infinty.........hope you like it.........
Yeah, LBM, they sounded very balanced with all type of progs (voice, classical, rock, rap, ...) at all volumes.

I guess these are the Kappa 2-way components, Sam? Or am I mistaken? I had checked at Sound Factor - Ashok said they have only 2 way
(he seems to be a genuinely and quietly helpful type). Went there today a/n to get the drivers fitted - alas, they were closed. Will try again on Thursday.
Old 2nd May 2007, 01:45   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

If you had to ask me the difference between the Kappa and the old reference series (yes, the reference series have changed over now, officially) I would have told you, the kappa outshines the reference everything by a long margin.
But Infinity is rediscovering itself. With the new reference series.

The new reference series (look for the XX23i ending) are positively astounding for the money. The other bit of news is that Infinity has finally produced 2 infinity sounding amplifiers (designed and engineered by infinity). Indian consumers should be able to lay their hands on an Infinity 4X75 amplifier and a 600X1 monoblock, both from the new ref series, in about 2-3 weeks.

My answer to your direct question is indirect. Listen to the new ref 2 way components. You might be surprised.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 2nd May 2007 at 01:46.
Old 2nd May 2007, 01:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and Bangalore has neither Lajpatrai Market nor Lamington Road!!!
Quote:
Oye dhan bhag hamare - hun jageya sher!!! OK, OK, let me not stretch my limited P capabilities.
Boss, that was some good geographical knowledge & some excellent Punjabi!!! Hoping to see more of you & your experience (Hopefully, WITH the weird tales!!) around here!

Last edited by iraghava : 2nd May 2007 at 02:10.
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:02   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for posting so late, I was in Germany for the last 10 days. Got an evening to do a scan at Media Markt, Hannover
1. Can anyone tell me who sells (with B&W) Image Dynamics subs in Bangalore?
2. Are there any passive subs (without magnet and coil; not the ready-made boxes) out there?
Greetings to the Fatherlland. Media Markt is cheap but no place for a real audition. Still JBL is usually a few db louder than Infinity but it is brighter too. Why I found the older 6010CS too bright too, but that's just me. There are others who add TS20 in parallel to their JBL speakers.

1. ID is represented by Gunbr and Autophile.
2. By passive sub do you mean a sub that does NOT have a built in amplifer? If you remove the magnet and voice coil what you will get is a Passive Radiator and a PR needs a sub that has a voice coil and magnet in the same box. a PR (drone cone) is simply a cone with a low Fs and which resonates using the back wave of another woofer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks