Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:05   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Actually I am searching for drone units with just the cone, surround, spider and frame, which I can experiment with in a custom box.
and pray i ask how do you intend to get this drone cone to resonate?
Old 2nd May 2007, 23:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Media Markt is cheap but no place for a real audition
I agree. But, it is the convenience of everything under one roof that attracts one to MM. And a decent range to compare - and they leave you to yourself if you want to play around.

Quote:
If you remove the magnet and voice coil what you will get is a Passive Radiator and a PR needs a sub that has a voice coil and magnet in the same box. a PR (drone cone) is simply a cone with a low Fs and which resonates using the back wave of another woofer.
and pray i ask how do you intend to get this drone cone to resonate?
That, Sir, is exactly what I want - to build a Bass Reflex box!!! The woofer shall be - depending on what size PR I get - an IDQ8 or IDQ10. In the dark ages I had mated a Phillips full range 8" with another with a kaput coil and Bolton tweeters in a teak box - oooohhh! No sir, no tube amps like you, just some home-made Class A stuff with 2N3055's. With a Shure cartridge skimming the surface of the vinyls - sheer ecstasy without substance abuse!!!
This time around no 2N3055, but perhaps a 5-ch amp to drive the BR cabinet and new Infinity References as Sam described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
But Infinity is rediscovering itself. With the new reference series.
They surely haven't changed their website, which nearly as bad as the Image Dynamics one.

Quote:
The new reference series (look for the XX23i ending) are positively astounding for the money. The other bit of news is that Infinity has finally produced 2 infinity sounding amplifiers (designed and engineered by infinity). Indian consumers should be able to lay their hands on an Infinity 4X75 amplifier and a 600X1 monoblock, both from the new ref series, in about 2-3 weeks.

My answer to your direct question is indirect. Listen to the new ref 2 way components. You might be surprised.
tell me where I can audition them. Need help locating: Couldn't find any reference to the XX2Xi anywhere - closest I found anything was Ref 5020CS.

The ones that I heard at MM were 5010CS - I guess they are the old ones, but nevertheless very sweet.

I am willing to wait another few weeks to see the new amps and the Refs, hope Sound Factory puts them up soon
Old 3rd May 2007, 12:53   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That, Sir, is exactly what I want - to build a Bass Reflex box!!! The woofer shall be - depending on what size PR I get - an IDQ8 or IDQ10. ...No sir, no tube amps like you, just some home-made Class A stuff with 2N3055's.

Your woofer's dia has nothing to do with it. In fact i am a big fan of he Nestorovic aligmnet in PR boxes.

A quote of mine from another time and place
diyAudio Forums Archive - Indian equivalents of the following DIY items.

"ok......here goes.....
a) addiing weight to a PR does TWO things. it lowers Fs by increasing MMs and it also lowers sensitivity. I have done some work with this sort of bass tuning (as well as others like using changable ports in bass reflex boxes, aperiodic vents in sealed boxes, etc...).

b) what you will find that for every room and for every genre of music in fact for every album a different bass tuning sounds best. You can drive your self nuts changing the tuning for every album or atleast for every producer (some producers like Alan Parsons are quite consistant).

c) my recomendation is to try the PR as supplied and then if the bass sounds over blown add weights 5gm at a time till the bass is noticed only when it absent. Then u will get a tuning that is good for music. If you want to use the sub for HT you do the same with a few properly recorded soundtracks"

here are some links that can help
http://www.avahifi.com/root/audio_ba...pdf/ab1984.pdf

Subwoofer DIY Project Peerless 12" XLS dual passive radiator system "Adrians Thunder Box"

Nestorovic

and you can even download the patent here
Low range loudspeaker system - Patent 3984635

enjoy.....
http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell...d/dddllqd.html
Old 3rd May 2007, 12:53   #49
Team-BHP Support

BTW who told you about my tubes amps et. al.?

The 3055 is nice, a very flexible transistor. did you parallel it or only une it push pull or did you (lump in thorat) do a 3055 SE?

Last edited by navin : 3rd May 2007 at 12:55.
Old 3rd May 2007, 19:51   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 3055 is nice, a very flexible transistor. did you parallel it or only une it push pull or did you (lump in thorat) do a 3055 SE?
I feel your emotion Old man. I used to look everywhere for Motorola 2N3055 and build everything from them, right from reg power supplies to power amps. I miss them already.

Quote:
They surely haven't changed their website, which nearly as bad as the Image Dynamics one.

Quote:
I am willing to wait another few weeks to see the new amps and the Refs, hope Sound Factory puts them up soon
I think they already have the new speakers. Amplifiers should be in, in a week or so.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd May 2007 at 19:54.
Old 3rd May 2007, 23:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wait till Elfy reads this one
Old 4th May 2007, 00:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your woofer's dia has nothing to do with it. In fact i am a big fan of he Nestorovic aligmnet in PR boxes.
Sir aap mahaan hain sirji!!! I wish I could find the smiley for "egyptian syncopatic raising and lowering of both arms kneeling on the ground". Or maybe the smiley set on the right should include one for "You rule!"

I am inspired now. Ich bedanke mich vielmal, mein Herr.

Quote:
BTW who told you about my tubes amps et. al.?

Kya sir, aap bhi! Khud likhein aur poochhein ke kisne kaha?

Normally Class B Push-pull, fed by 186/187 or 286/287. Ishtandard 8ohms drivers. A couple of paralleled Class A. Got married after that, khallas! I must be still having a few 3055s and even AD149s (20Wrms Class B, remember?) in a box in the basement that has escaped the lady's broom.

Quote:
I think they already have the new speakers. Amplifiers should be in, in a week or so.
Thanks, Sam. I will have a look (hear?) asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Wait till Elfy reads this one
No, not the one that Elf maintains in India, but the original infinitysystems.com website. They could really use Elf's services.
Old 4th May 2007, 10:33   #53
Team-BHP Support

Der Alte,

I only wondiered becuase you have about 20 posts to your credit and did not kow you have read my older posts. Yes I have discussed EL84/34, KT 88 based amps etc.. on this forum.

Thank you for the compliments. Let me know if you need more info.

I only suggested Nestorovic becuase it seemed like a good idea for your application. Of coruse you can use the standard PR tuning as well.

Last edited by navin : 4th May 2007 at 10:36.
Old 4th May 2007, 10:39   #54
BHPian

hi deralte,

what's ERGO??

cheers
rishabh
Old 4th May 2007, 11:09   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Ergo is an english word.

It is adopted from Latin, along with many other middle english words.
Though in meaning it is similar to the word "therefore", it is a a more literate and quality expression and cannot be used in every circumstance and sentence, in place of therefore.

Let me know if you want examples.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 4th May 2007 at 11:14. Reason: Because I'm mad.
Old 4th May 2007, 13:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Ergo is an english word.

It is adopted from Latin, along with many other middle english words.
Though in meaning it is similar to the word "therefore", it is a a more literate and quality expression and cannot be used in every circumstance and sentence, in place of therefore.

Let me know if you want examples.
hi,

thanks sam for letting me know. wouldnt mind the examples.

cheers
clip
Old 4th May 2007, 13:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

Cogito, ergo sum. Literally, I think, therefore I am. Some very important Frenchie.
Old 5th May 2007, 16:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishism View Post
Sorry DerAlte, all but you have been allowed to answer the query.
Another time mi amigo.
ism; By example, would be a good way to go.
Most welcome! I learn more by allowing others to speak.

But "ism; By example, would be a good way to go" was full OHT! ??
Old 24th March 2008, 16:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I'm pleased to inform you that someone heard your complaint. Check out Image Dynamics USA

Cheers!
Old 24th March 2008, 19:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Gunbir. At least they have made a good beginning, though they have a lot of information to put in (specs mostly). The current text is still confusing, e.g. it is not apparent till you read the right side bar to know the difference between CXS62 and CXS64.

Still a long way to go to reach the website efficiency of JL Audio - currently they are the best organized (no comments on their wares), followed by DLS. Focal and Hertz are way too artistic to be ergonomic, though their info content is good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks