Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2021, 12:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Music Apps & Android Auto

I have used ganna for 2 years but the experience was frustrating. It used to crash a lot despite updating the app regularly.

Currently using paid youtube music and experience is good. Recommendations are off the mark but we can search anything and the music quality is good.

Surprisingly the quality over Bluetooth is bad, better through aux and best through USB
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 14:42   #17
BHPian

I subscribed to Google Music some years ago, which has now been transferred to YT Music.

This is additional bonus for AA, as the AA is best suited for YT music. A simply voice command for a song launches it by default on YT Music.

My only grouse is that it does not allow type searching.
Old 20th April 2021, 16:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Finally I have a car with Android Auto and being a geek myself I am trying to get the best out of it.

Use Cases

1. Select playlists and songs using the screen to play the songs using your app of preference
2. Voice search a song or a playlist
3. Play songs stored on your phone

Amazon Music

Since I am an Amazon Prime user, I often using Amazon Music as well. This works really well for Use Case 1. Use Case 2 sucks. Cannot do a voice search using Google Assistant.

YouTube Music

Had never using YT music in the past but thought since this is "Android" auto and I am a Pixel user I should give it a shot. Unfortunately, YT Music does not work on Android Auto if you are not a Premium user which means Pay more which I won't. I was OK with Ads.
Even I am a relatively new Android Auto user and have used the quoted apps. Some pointers that I noticed while using it in my Ecosport S.-
  1. You can use voice search for songs on Amazon Music. Just click on voice command button, say play xx song on amazon music. It works 95% of the times.
  2. I have a small hack for Youtube music. Turn on Youtube music on your phone and make sure you don't let your screen die (go in display settings and click on Never Sleep option). You can then continue to listen to music, albeits with some ads (initially the frequency is high 1/song, but after 4-5 songs it decreases to 1/3 songs or so)
Old 20th April 2021, 16:54   #19

Have been using Spotify for well over 2 years with Android auto on my Mazda CX-5.

I do use voice search on it by just pressing the Google assistant button on the steering and asking to play xyz song or abc playlist.

With the new android auto/Spotify update, it plays whatever it understands but also gives me an option to look at all searched songs/playlists based on my command.
Old 20th April 2021, 17:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I have a small hack for Youtube music. Turn on Youtube music on your phone and make sure you don't let your screen die (go in display settings and click on Never Sleep option). You can then continue to listen to music, albeits with some ads (initially the frequency is high 1/song, but after 4-5 songs it decreases to 1/3 songs or so)[/list]
There is another hack for YouTube non-premium users to play YouTube minimized in Android devices.

Open YouTube in chrome browser in your phone. Then go to settings by clicking on the three verticle dots in the upper right corner and select the oprion Desktop site. Then play the video, pause the music and then minimize Chrome browser. Now we can see that YouTube will be visible as a notification in the notification bar. We can play, pause and select the next and previous track just like any other music app.

I used to use this trick before becoming a paid subscriber of YouTube.
dpaul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 21:49   #21

I use an Android phone but ironically & uncommonly use and love Apple Music.

Things I like about Apple Music
1. Great playlist curation
2. Amazing sound quality
3. Super clean, classy & intuitive UI
4. Looks amazing on Android Auto on the cars infotainment screen (Have been using it in Creta 2018 & Seltos)
5. The UI makes the car infotainment seem a notch premium (Especially in our Creta, makes the screen look great)

Things I don't like:
1. App UI is buggy on phone ( I use S10+, not sure if it's only on this version). When we download the songs, occasionally it runs into a redundant notification error and shows that something is downloading indefinitely
Old 21st April 2021, 10:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Amazon Music it is, for all of my acoustic needs in the car, courtesy Amazon Prime subscription.

Attachment 2145995

I have a RCD 340G head unit in my Vento and it plays both android auto and Apple CarPlay seamlessly.

Attachment 2145996

I have documented various details here (My Vento's super RCD340G headunit : Perspectives of an owner), just in case you are interested.
The head unit seems a lot similar to the one in my Rapid. Have you tried using Google maps on Android auto. How good is it?
Old 21st April 2021, 11:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
The head unit seems a lot similar to the one in my Rapid. Have you tried using Google maps on Android auto. How good is it?
Google Maps works like a charm!
Please feel free to visit my experience provided in this post (My Vento's super RCD340G headunit : Perspectives of an owner).

Couple of pics:-

Music Apps & Android Auto-gmaps-1.jpg

Music Apps & Android Auto-gmaps-2.jpg

Just requoting what I had mentioned in my post:-

Quote:
In summary, the GMaps feature on AndroidAuto gives you EVERYTHING that you want for, from a "conventional" GMaps feature on your phone.

And by far, the tenet of (real-time) NAVIGATE is perhaps the most useful and important tenet among all the tenets of AndroidAuto!
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 12:54   #24
BHPian

I use Amazon Music (Prime) on both android auto and carplay. It used to work very well on both but recently, on android auto, the Amazon Music icon has disappeared. I have to start it on my phone and then the 'Now Playing' screen comes on to the Head Unit. Has anyone else faced this issue?
Old 21st April 2021, 15:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

As someone who has tons of music ripped from CDs, or downloaded as mp3/flac and stored on personal devices, I was looking for a simple music player that would play stored music, will not need to connect to the internet, and was compatible with Android Auto. The perfect, and most lightweight app I found was Musicolet (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_IN&gl=US). I have been using it from the past few months, and it works flawlessly. No nonsense, and no ads.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 15:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

I was using the Google music app as a paid subscriber earlier before being migrated to YT Music. One of the best features of Google music (start radio) is not there in the YT Music AA app. This radio feature is great which plays similar songs to the one you are listening to.

The YT Music app. on the phone has so many features (including the radio feature mentioned above), but I find the AA app. very limited and it really needs more functionality to find new playlists, music search.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 16:07   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rocket Player is another excellent app that works well with Android Auto. Not sure about voice commands, but with music, voice commands aren't really important as one generally starts off with a playlist, album or genre. Would really recommend Rocket Player to Android users.

Of course, my two default streaming music apps - YouTube Music & Spotify - work perfectly on Android Auto too. Am a premium user of both, so no restrictions.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 17:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Apart from Google Maps, I only use two other apps:

1. BeyondPod for podcasts: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mobi.beyondpod

2. Jet Audio+ for music: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.jetaudioplus

I have the paid version for both. Note that the latter is not a streaming app. I have all the music I need on external storage (SD cards/thumb drives etc.).
Old 21st April 2021, 23:18   #29
BHPian

I am using YouTube Music premium. The reason I switched to it from Amazon Music and Saavn was due to the maximum selection of songs available in it. Oftentimes when I searched for a song in Amazon Music or Saavn, would not find the song, while I have had no such issues with YT Music. Clarity is overall similar in all three apps while running songs in HD.
Old 22nd April 2021, 00:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
I use Amazon Music (Prime) on both android auto and carplay. It used to work very well on both but recently, on android auto, the Amazon Music icon has disappeared. I have to start it on my phone and then the 'Now Playing' screen comes on to the Head Unit. Has anyone else faced this issue?
Yes i face this. If the app isnt open on the phone it doesn't work.

Also when i ask Google Assistant to play a specific song on Amazon music, it says playing on Amazon music but does nothing. It does not search a song or play using voice commands.

I am puzzled how others are able to get this working.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks