Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature

Google has announced that they will be shutting down the Android Auto app for phone screens with Android 12. While the smartphone beaming platform itself will continue, the special Android launcher for phone screens will be killed off. The special launcher was first introduced in 2016 and featured an optimised user interface for ease of use while driving.

In a statement, Google stated that customers who use the on-phone experience (the Android Auto app), will now be migrated towards the new 'Google Assistant driving mode'. This new feature will come in-built in all phones with Android 12. The new Assistant driving mode is said to be an evolution of the mobile driving experience.

Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature-androidauto1.jpg

Google already rolled out the new feature in the US markets back in October 2020. However, most customers outside the US started receiving it only post April 2021. Google also stated that the Android Auto app will be killed off once the Android 12 software update has been rolled out completely.

While there is no official word from Google, it is speculated that older phones which do not qualify for the Android 12 update could see the app continue to work at least for a while. However, the app is expected to be completely removed on newer phones.

Source: 9to5Google

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:49   #2

Re: Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature

Google Auto has been really useful for long journeys along with a aux cable to the music system and a basic phone holder. The minimal user interface helps keep eyes on the road. But I would have to find another alternative if this is being integrated into Google Assistant. I have disabled Google from accessing my web and app activity and unfortunately Google needs this permission for Google Assistant to work.

With Alexa moving into cars like MG and M&M, hopefully we will have more choices to pick from.

On the other side, I was pleasantly surprised to that Ford's SYNC was developed by Microsoft on their Windows CE OS, hopefully they recreate the magic again on a newer platform with Cortana.
theanand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:05   #3
BHPian

Re: Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature

Well Google does not seem to give up the slightest spying opportunity that they have in any situation.

At times while using GMaps I have seen the Google Assistant randomly firing trying to process a phrase spoken and again closing down even though I have not used the wake words (OK Google) explicitely.

This shows that Google continues to listen to you in the background anyway. I know if I could I can turn off microphone access but that way I lose the option to speak up place names while searching on the go.

Sadly the ICE in my Crysta supports Mirrorlink v 1.0 only.
haisaikat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:17   #4
BHPian

Like every other time a good app was being discontinued, I was going to outrage, But decided to check this new interface out before saying something.

Outrage is justified. The new interface, for a lack of better words, sucks.

It's integrated into the google maps app in your phone. It doesn't have the ease of use of the previous android auto app. Doesn't integrate well with your media apps. And doesn't optimise the interface well for using the app on the go.

Google, it wasn't broke, you didn't have to fix it.

For one the calls functionality is gone.
You have to ask google assistant to do it. Which means google assistant privacy terms apply now.

Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature-screenshot_20210823141028_maps.jpg

My amazon music app is gone now.
I don't even know why.
A grey market vanced app shows though

Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature-screenshot_20210823140933_maps.jpg

The apps button is shown only in portrait mode, most of us prefer the landscape mode, where it doesn't give us any options.

Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature-screenshot_20210823141036_maps.jpg

The go home option takes you to your phone's home screen and not the android auto home . Which was so much better with quick suggestions for calls and directions.

Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature-screenshot_20210823141051_lawnchair.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature-screenshot_20210823141043_maps.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 23rd August 2021 at 14:24.
viXit is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 18:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanand View Post
Google Auto has been really useful for long journeys along with a aux cable to the music system and a basic phone holder. The minimal user interface helps keep eyes on the road. But I would have to find another alternative if this is being integrated into Google Assistant. I have disabled Google from accessing my web and app activity and unfortunately Google needs this permission for Google Assistant to work.

With Alexa moving into cars like MG and M&M, hopefully we will have more choices to pick from.

On the other side, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Ford's SYNC was developed by Microsoft on their Windows CE OS, hopefully they recreate the magic again on a newer platform with Cortana.
Well the first SYNC 1.0 was developed on Windows CE OS but Ford eventually moved to QNX platform for subsequent versions as the Microsoft one was too buggy and laggy
MayurS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 19:05   #6
BHPian

Yet to understand why these tech companies have to constantly reinvent the wheel (and a shoddy effort at that!) for perfectly attuned systems. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the current Android Auto setup; rather it was seamless.

P.s. I think it's an open secret now that Sundar and Mark always know about the happenings of our daily lives via our phones. It's the appalling reality of our times!
IamNikhil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 01:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Yet to understand why these tech companies have to constantly reinvent the wheel (and a shoddy effort at that!) for perfectly attuned systems. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the current Android Auto setup; rather it was seamless.

P.s. I think it's an open secret now that Sundar and Mark always know about the happenings of our daily lives via our phones. It's the appalling reality of our times!
Simple. If tech companies constantly don't kill their own products, somebody else will. That's why you see so many changes being rolled out. Also, they know that the human brain can progressively adapt to change, albeit with some discomfort.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:32   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You know, I am wary of using new Google products (other than search + maps + Gmail + Android) because Google either kills them eventually, or they are poorly executed. I was a big fan of Google's RSS reader. Overnight, Google killed it. Google Drive is just one example of poor execution. You can't imagine how many file conflicts it created between my two laptops. I have since moved my working files to Dropbox and watch with amusement how, after I fire up laptop no. 2, Dropbox updates all files within seconds while Google Drive shows its last update as "16 hours ago"...even a full 30 minutes after firing up laptop 2!

The company also needs a lesson or two in branding. "Android Auto" has become such an incredibly powerful brand over the years. All Android users know it, while Android Auto has become standard nomenclature in the car world. Even manufacturers use it!

Google did a similar branding error with Google Drive. After years of establishing the brand, they renamed it to a lame "backup and sync" software. And now, since a week, my computer is giving me prompts that "Google Drive is coming back". This becomes too confusing for layman computer users.

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2021 at 09:34.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You know, I am wary of using new Google products (other than search + maps + Gmail + Android) because Google either kills them eventually, or they are poorly executed. I was a big fan of Google's RSS reader. Overnight, Google killed it.
The company also needs a lesson or two in branding. "Android Auto" has become such an incredibly powerful brand over the years. All Android users know it, while Android Auto has become standard nomenclature in the car world. Even manufacturers use it!
Dont think a company with Google's might not being able to afford a quality brand manager. I think these companies know more about US than we do, hence are able to generate customer insights which they use to drive customers to Paid Products.

Let me give you an example. If you guys must have realized recently, the YouTube Ads have become longer, un-skippable and multiple (multiple ads at beginning, Ads in the middle of the video, etc). All this is to drive you irritated enough so that you get fed up and buy a YT Paid subscription. In fact, I got a survey in my feed asking if I am irritated with YT Ads?

I think they have realized that its time to Monetize this information. This move looks like a change to acquire more data and target you with more ads. Imagine Maps will automatically start throwing you ads for restaurants based on proximity of the vehicle (basis the sound recording of your conversation that one of the occupants is hungry).
2000rpm is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 13:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I think they have realized that its time to Monetize this information. This move looks like a change to acquire more data and target you with more ads. Imagine Maps will automatically start throwing you ads for restaurants based on proximity of the vehicle (basis the sound recording of your conversation that one of the occupants is hungry).
Shortest horror story! Won't be surprised if this turns into reality in the near future. "Privacy" is a joke these days. There's literally no escape from the snooping eyes and ears
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 09:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
... (basis the sound recording of your conversation that one of the occupants is hungry).
This is a reality. I have tested it multiple times with Android phone (locked) in my pocket. Told some specific thing (which is not related to my viewing choices) to few people over 48 hours. Voila! YouTube started suggesting me the video. Know this : Google is listening! Always!

This is almost 2 years old experience. I've switched to Apple since.

You're welcome to test this:
  1. Scroll through your YouTube suggestions, make sure a particular suggestion (some personality, some specific video, a topic, etc.) is missing
  2. Now mention that "missing suggestion" of your choice and conversate with someone
  3. Repeat step 2 at different locations, while discussing with different people over 48 hours
  4. Open YouTube now

Last edited by akshye : 25th August 2021 at 09:51.
akshye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 10:33   #12
BHPian

Okay guys just to be clear, the android auto on your vehicles compatible Infotainment System will absolutely work like its supposed to. This is the main Android Auto ecosystem that is Not being touched.

Google is actually killing an of-shoot of the android auto ecosystem called "Android Auto for Phone screens".

They are only killing the Driving Mode display with the bigger on-screen toggles that appears on your phone screen.
CalmConquests is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 12:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As BHPian Vixit has mentioned, Google maps driving mode is the new Android Auto for phones.

"Ok Google, Turn on driving mode" and that's it, maps will open up with driving mode that has the same functionality as Android Auto phone app.

So what`s missing?

The standalone AA app can be switched on like a head unit and you can leave it idle as is, in google maps driving mode you need to select a destination for the rest of the function to work.

As of today the AA app is working, I have a very old phone that is used for AA & music exclusively during lengthier trips, hope it continues to work.

And those who are concerned about Data privacy, ALL phones are listening to you - ALL the time, they cannot provide you assistant functions otherwise, just consider them as nosy neighbors and speak only things that are okay for them to hear
Old 25th August 2021, 13:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
A grey market vanced app shows though

Attachment 2197175
Slight OT
Have you noticed unnatural battery drain after installing Vanced? I don't much care about the battery life since I'm mostly home and always near a charger but I can see it causing a problem while travelling outstations.
I'm on Galaxy S10.
Old 25th August 2021, 13:55   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dont think a company with Google's might not being able to afford a quality brand manager.
Just like how they're affording quality software engineers ?

Laptop after 45 minutes of logging in. No update.
Google shuts down Android Auto app for phones; migrate to new in-built assistant feature-20210825-13.42.18.jpg

Meanwhile, Dropbox started updating files within seconds of the laptop waking up. And yes, there are quite a few Google Drive files that needed updating.

Sorry about going OT, but last one, I promise.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks