Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 12:43   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
what did ht do with the other 2 cables that came from the HU?
I suspect he connected the wrong two cables to the amp. Read the HU's manual. It will say which of the rear connections can be used to drive a subwoofer (via the amp).
oh the devil installer.. I will check it out today itself

Thanks navin for enlightening me on this topic. Ill get back in a day or so with the findings
Old 30th June 2007, 22:54   #122
Senior - BHPian

hmmm as expected
"The only way you could get a seperate sub control is to use the rear speaker out of teh HU to drive your rear speakers, then use the rear RCA out of th HU to drive the sub (via an amp) and the front RCA out of the HU to drive the front (via an amp). Does your HU allow it to be programed in this manner?"

the sub is being driven by the RCA for rear speakers.

I asked blau service personnel about subout option. and they said that a special Y-cable with wiring harness needs to be connected to the rear of the HU. Previous safaris had those Y cables with harness builtin from factory.. but the new dicors dont have this facility and without proper harness in place, the wiring needs to be cut, which can lead to warranty issues as per them. So now i am trying to find out where can i source the wiring harness for my dicor with a option of Y cable to serve the sub at LPF of 80HZ or 100HZ.
Finally understood also that the HPF can be set to 200HZ for the 4 speakers to play good midbass from HU and as a result a achieve a desirable crisp soundstage of music from my investment.

If any of the gurus is knowing about this wiring harness and Y-cable stuff do's and dont ...let me know your thoughts

ps: the amp is set under the drivers seat, shielded by the underseat carpet with air to move around it..is it a correct placement or it should be moved somewhere else like bolting it in the luggage area or somewhere.
Old 1st July 2007, 23:06   #123
Team-BHP Support

Rahul,
post exact model numbers of your HU, amps, and all speakers and we will try to have a solution.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:25   #124
Senior - BHPian

Navin

I have already posted the details of speakers in post no http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post463298

Anyways

Rear Door Speakers specs are at this link : Blaupunkt - GTx 542 - Technical Details
Front Door Speakers specs are at this link: Blaupunkt - THc 542 - Technical Details
2 CH Amplifier specs are at this link : Blaupunkt - GTA 2 Special Mk II - Technical Details
Sub-Woofer specs are at this link: Blaupunkt - GTt 1200 - Technical Details
HeadUnit specs are at this link (blau-London-MP37): Blaupunkt - London MP37 - Technical Details

Settings on amp is now

Sensitivity Knob: Level: 8v->100mV ::::set to approx 35 (less than half mark)
Switch XOVER- HPF80HZ/FLAT/LPF ::: set to LPF
LPF KNOB: 50->250 ::: set to around 100 approx
BASS KNOB: 0dB->12dB :::: set to around 5

On the HU

XBASS: set to 1
Bass: 100hz set to +3
Treble: 10khz set to +2
Middle: 1khz set to +3
subout: 0 ( as there is a Y-cable or something required)
balance: 0
fader :0
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:31   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Rear Door Blaupunkt - GTx 542
Front Door Speakers THc 542
2 CH Amplifier Blaupunkt - GTA 2
Sub-Woofer Blaupunkt - GTt 1200
HeadUnit specs London-MP37

Sensitivity Knob: Level: 8v->100mV ::::set to approx 35 (less than half mark)
Switch XOVER- HPF80HZ/FLAT/LPF ::: set to LPF
LPF KNOB: 50->250 ::: set to around 100 approx
BASS KNOB: 0dB->12dB :::: set to around 5

On the HU

XBASS: set to 1
Bass: 100hz set to +3
Treble: 10khz set to +2
Middle: 1khz set to +3

subout: 0 ( as there is a Y-cable or something required)
balance: 0
fader :0
right here it says that your HU has a sub out and sub control
Blaupunkt - Head-units - MP3 Head-units - London MP37

given the components you have above I'd suggest using the amp to drive the sub and using the HU to driven both front and rear speakers.

I assume that the "rear out" of the Hu can be "configured" to drive either a sub or rear speakers. I suggest you configure tis to drive the sub then connect the amp to this output and the sub to the output of the amp.

once that is done make the change the setting i have marked in BOLD to 0. Listen.

Write down what you feel is missing. change only that and listen again. repeat till you get to where you want to go with your sound.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:35   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. given the components you have above I'd suggest using the amp to drive the sub and using the HU to driven both front and rear speakers.

2. I assume that the "rear out" of the Hu can be "configured" to drive either a sub or rear speakers. once that is done make the change the setting i have marked in BOLD to 0. Listen.

3. Write down what you feel is missing. change only that and listen again. repeat till you get to where you want to go with your sound.
Navin:
1> the HU can be configured to use SUBout, using a Y cable with a harness which connects to the preamp out of the HU in a special way wherein it can connect to the L/R channel going into AMP.

Situation is the HU is driving frnt and rear speakers....

there is a blau RCA cable which has 4 cables and one wiring harness which is connected to the preampout connecters. The cables read front and rear pair. The rear channel is connected to the amp and then to sub.

2. i didnt understand "configure HU"

3. I did what u said to set to 0 in bold.

my understanding is that i am missing the things between 100 & 200HZ range

eg. this song Youtopia
in this song if the bass is set to 100HZ, i miss out the keyboards and the sitar playing and hear drums, and treble. (link is for reference from the orignal song)

Another song is Pehla Nasha song from "Jo Jita Wohi Sikandar."

i can hear the boom base and highs and less middle unless i set the base to 200HZ. and once i do that I lose on the base. not sure if this helps across

However I will listen to more songs with point no 3 in order to achieve a balance

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 2nd July 2007 at 15:46. Reason: added few lines
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:10   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin:
1> the HU can be configured to use SUBout, using a Y cable with a harness which connects to the preamp out of the HU in a special way wherein it can connect to the L/R channel going into AMP.
there is a blau RCA cable which has 4 cables and one wiring harness which is connected to the preampout connecters. The cables read front and rear pair. The rear channel is connected to the amp and then to sub.
You mean to say that to use the HU to control asubwoofer amp it neds a special cable?

you got a link for this cable?
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:21   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in this song if the bass is set to 100HZ, i miss out the keyboards and the sitar playing and hear drums, and treble. (link is for reference from the orignal song)

Another song is Pehla Nasha song from "Jo Jita Wohi Sikandar."

i can hear the boom base and highs and less middle unless i set the base to 200HZ. and once i do that I lose on the base. not sure if this helps across

However I will listen to more songs with point no 3 in order to achieve a balance
Perhaps you should leave the sub setting to 100Hz, and increase the Mid level a little to see if you are able to hear everything the way you want it - in all the songs that you hear.
Or, set the sub amp gain to zero (on GTA2; I assume that your other speakers are connected to the HU) and bring the HU volume to a level that you are comfortable with - you should be able to hear everything else other than drums etc. Now increase the gain at GTA2 till you hear everything the way you want it.
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:56   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say that to use the HU to control asubwoofer amp it neds a special cable?

you got a link for this cable?
Blau HUs have flat-pin connectors for pre-amp out, which needs block connector to RCA convertors. The Y cable here would be an additional branch-out for feeding the sub amp, but that is surprising.

The specs of Blau London MP37 (Blaupunkt - Car Radios - MP3 Tuners - London MP37) say
Amplifier
Parametric equalizer
Number of bands 3
Sound presets (music)
X-Bass
Preamp-Out 4-channel (2 V)
Aux-In 2
Front Aux-In
Sub-Out: var. gain/frequency

That would mean the Sub signal has its own pins in the rear connector, and a separate cable to connect the sub amp. The manual should show which pins go where. The connector is quite commonplace, so the 'special cable' can be easily fabricated if it was somehow missing in the cable set. The cable is common to a lot of Blau HUs, such as Bahamas MP46, St.Louis MP56, Memphis MP66 etc.
Old 2nd July 2007, 20:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

As DerAlte said, the Blau HUs have a flat-type connector that terminates in RCA female sockets.

Quote:
Ok
here is what the installer did
1. the front and the rear are driven by HU
2. He bought some blau RCA cable and attached it to the rear of the HU and the rca cables were then connected to the AMP....the RCA had four output cables of which two were used to connect to amp
This sounds about right. Which means there are two RCAs (one pair) lying unused right? But in this case I can't see why you need 'Y' connector at all???

Or maybe the 'Y' cable is being used probably to get both the front & rear pre-outs to feed the sub-amp. Then the sub would play regardless of whether you faded to the front or to the rear. But then even for this you'd need 2 'Y' connectors ???
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:08   #131
Senior - BHPian

umm I asked the blaupunkt dealer about that Y cable and he said the older safari's had the Y cable output via a harness factory fitted (remember older safaris used to have sub in the boot) and that harness will let you control the subout feature of the HU through HU.
I have asked the dealer to try to source the original safari harness with Y cable so that it can feed the SUB.

damn.. this is turning out to be more of a quick sand like thing..:(

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 2nd July 2007 at 21:10.
Old 2nd July 2007, 21:36   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
umm I asked the blaupunkt dealer about that Y cable and he said the older safari's had the Y cable output via a harness factory fitted (remember older safaris used to have sub in the boot) and that harness will let you control the subout feature of the HU through HU.
I have asked the dealer to try to source the original safari harness with Y cable so that it can feed the SUB.

damn.. this is turning out to be more of a quick sand like thing..:(
I think i found something on the net
4+1 Channel Preamp Output Adapter

Blaupunkt 5-CH Preamp Adapter
in the above pic.. i guess its the yellow cable which will feed the sub throough amp....(looks like this is also one of it
Blaupunkt Power and Sub Out Connector)

Subwoofer Output: In addition to the 4-channel preamp output harness, a separate mono (single channel) non-fading subwoofer output is provided on the power harness.(which one i need to understand this) You can control the subwoofer output level from 0 to 7, and the frequency of the low-pass filter can be set to 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (no filtering).

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 2nd July 2007 at 21:45.
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:31   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Blau HUs have flat-pin connectors for pre-amp out, which needs block connector to RCA convertors. The Y cable here would be an additional branch-out for feeding the sub amp, but that is surprising.

The specs of Blau London MP37 (Blaupunkt - Car Radios - MP3 Tuners - London MP37) say
Amplifier
Parametric equalizer
Number of bands 3
Sound presets (music)
X-Bass
Preamp-Out 4-channel (2 V)
Aux-In 2
Front Aux-In
Sub-Out: var. gain/frequency

That would mean the Sub signal has its own pins in the rear connector, and a separate cable to connect the sub amp. The manual should show which pins go where. The connector is quite commonplace, so the 'special cable' can be easily fabricated if it was somehow missing in the cable set. The cable is common to a lot of Blau HUs, such as Bahamas MP46, St.Louis MP56, Memphis MP66 etc.
Here are the diagrams of the behind of the HU.
I have uploaded the images

&

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 2nd July 2007 at 22:36.
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:31   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think i found something on the net
4+1 Channel Preamp Output Adapter

Blaupunkt 5-CH Preamp Adapter
in the above pic.. i guess its the yellow cable which will feed the sub throough amp....(looks like this is also one of it
Blaupunkt Power and Sub Out Connector)

Subwoofer Output: In addition to the 4-channel preamp output harness, a separate mono (single channel) non-fading subwoofer output is provided on the power harness.(which one i need to understand this) You can control the subwoofer output level from 0 to 7, and the frequency of the low-pass filter can be set to 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (no filtering).
Yeah, the first one is more like it. There would also be another version with 6 RCA sockets - there was one like that on Bluedot UK.

To know exactly which one to get, look at the pin-out section in YOUR Blau manual - go through the WHOLE manual (Jap, chi, russ and all such pages if you don't find it in the English section - mine had it under Japanese! Shows the rear view of the HU with pin legends). You should be able to correlate the connector shape and pin details with the connector of the cable.

Non-fading = HU has already extracted the sub signal from the other channels in a way that Fader will not affect the sub volume (dedicated signal for sub amp), instead of the USER having to extract from Front / Rear signal via a Y adapter.

There is also a single wire separate signal for remotely controlling the power of the sub-amp, so that the sub-amp does not stay on when you switch the vehicle off.
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the diagrams of the behind of the HU.
I have uploaded the images
ImageShack - Hosting :: screenhunter01jul022221nu2.jpg
&
Is the pin-out from YOUR manual (i.e.London MP37)?

If so, OK, you found the right cable (your first/second link, not the third; another one is this one: http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/preamp2.asp).

The Sub-out is a bit of trickery in both cables above - the loose white wire with the brown ferrule and pin (not the red one without a pin) connects to the A3 pin (connector A, pin 3, actual Sub-out pin) whereas the rest of the connections (yellow connector) go into connector C1.

The cable from your 3rd link will send your installer into orbit! Come to think of it, he could actually fabricate a cable connecting to A3 and A8 and an RCA at the other end, but... forget it, if he got himself into a tangle about Y adapter and all, maybe he is not the type.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks