Old 8th July 2007, 22:24   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
so when are you going to use smooukoo sub in your car..p
Not sure about either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
They are treated for car audio application, making them fairly resilient. A simple paper cone wouldn't last at all in our cars.
Sigh!...another relief
Old 9th July 2007, 16:25   #62
Team-BHP Support

an untreated apaper cone would not survive too long even if it the speaker was not sprayed or dunked. sunlight would eat the paper, slowly.

treated paper/wood/hemp etc.. is resilient but will not survive a dunking like say ceramic, polyproplene, kevlar, carbon etc...

the scanspeak speakers I lost had kevlar cone but the water got into the coils and withing a week the 3 of 4 coils were corroded beyond repair/use.
Old 9th July 2007, 18:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
an untreated apaper cone would not survive too long even if it the speaker was not sprayed or dunked. sunlight would eat the paper, slowly.

treated paper/wood/hemp etc.. is resilient but will not survive a dunking like say ceramic, polyproplene, kevlar, carbon etc...

the scanspeak speakers I lost had kevlar cone but the water got into the coils and withing a week the 3 of 4 coils were corroded beyond repair/use.
Scanspeak wouldn't have dreamt of their voice coils getting dunked in salty water! Otherwise they would have used copper wires with a different insulation for the VCs, one that is commonly used in marine-grade electricals.
Old 9th July 2007, 20:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Thanks old men for sharing some great (and hard learned) information! (as if I am so young) I don't think it would be practical to safeguard against dunking as such, but I wanted to confirm that environment resistance should not be given too much of importance. Though paper/wood would be relatively inferior to synthetic materials, it should be safe to trust reputed manufacturers at least for products specifically intended for car usage.

BTW, I understand that both the speakers I mentioned use Vifa co-designed woofers (obviously through unofficial sources). Alpine also uses a ring-radiator tweeter (supposedly excellent?). I am more inclined towards alpines because they also have highly tunable cross-over and the model I mentioned is available at bargains because of being discontinued (models that replaced it bear MRP tags in thousands of USD!)

Sorry, I am slowly getting OT, as usual!. Though, I hope JTRider should not mind it because I think by now he should be done with his show-off
Old 10th July 2007, 10:42   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Scanspeak wouldn't have dreamt of their voice coils getting dunked in salty water!.
I think the water was MORE than salty.
Old 10th July 2007, 10:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
it took me some time but here it is..and dont ask me how I found the post...lol

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/252050-post9.html
That is amazing..
Old 10th July 2007, 14:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Alpine also uses a ring-radiator tweeter (supposedly excellent?)
Navinji, no comments on this question?
Alpine's current line of type-R also uses it, don't know about the past though. I thought you (et al) might have something to say, since type-R has been one of the often recommended speakers on this forum.
Old 10th July 2007, 15:06   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navinji, no comments on this question?
Alpine's current line of type-R also uses it, don't know about the past though. I thought you (et al) might have something to say, since type-R has been one of the often recommended speakers on this forum.
what do you want me to say.

it is common knowledge that Alpine had Scanspeak help them for their F1 series of components. that the type R series also carries the tag could be a mix of marketing and trickle down.

I have not heard alpine's rendition of the ring radiator. I have however heard Vifa's version and Scanspeak's version (before they along with peerless were "merged" by Tympany). I thought SS's version had a better rendition, I believe both versions can be bettered. Also the veriosns I heard did had complex but yet not finalised crossovers on them, I hence beleive that ring radiators require some serious crossover design.

Since I am really a KISS guy, persoanlly (as a DIYer) I would rather use a driver that does not require this level effort and these number of components. The money spent of the XO could be used to get a nicer behaved tweeter. Dont get me wrong, the ring radiators are terribly detailed. But detail isn't everything. I want the music to give me goosbumps. to make me dance or alteast to get my aged toes tapping.
Old 10th July 2007, 15:28   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am more inclined towards alpines because they also have highly tunable cross-over and the model I mentioned is available at bargains because of being discontinued (models that replaced it bear MRP tags in thousands of USD!)
It is great becasue it allows you to tinker and learn. But santosh do get LspCad or Clio or Calsod or something similar at it will allow you to graphically simualte what each tuning does.

Last edited by navin : 10th July 2007 at 15:44.
Old 10th July 2007, 15:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what do you want me to say.
Hehe...what a question! Why would I ask if I knew the answer? I just wanted to get more enlightened, like what you just did. You know very well, what may be boring stuff for Gurus is most likely to be exciting to newbies (like me) Your patience is appreciated.
Old 10th July 2007, 17:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
It is great becasue it allows you to tinker and learn. But santosh do get LspCad or Clio or Calsod or something similar at it will allow you to graphically simualte what each tuning does.

navin (i cant call you navinji, although i know you are quite elder to me i cant visualise so ill be calling you navin and this shouldnt mean that i dont respect you, or i can call you Mr. navin lol)

how much did you pay for the above software and for the LEAP?
any freeware which can do the same thing?

cheers
clip
Old 10th July 2007, 23:10   #72
BHPian

clip, download a software called WinISD. It is free. It will not do as much as Calsod or Clio but you can try it. Speaker Workshop is another simulation software which is free.
Old 10th July 2007, 23:13   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yup, CCTB or something like that comes to mind
Have you guys not forgotten my CCTB yet?
Old 10th July 2007, 23:44   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis View Post
Have you guys not forgotten my CCTB yet?
I went through quite a few of the ICE threads and can assure you CCTB will not be forgotten for a loong time to come.

hey vivek welcome back after nearly 7 months in hibernation. thank god you dint come after 2 more months.

hope to see you regularly now.
Old 11th July 2007, 00:04   #75
BHPian

I will be regular now. And CCTB... hare Ram!!!!!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks