Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 20:07   #1
BHPian

Hissing sound from speakers when not playing music. Please help.

Hi, I trashed the OE audio system on my car and now I have the following installed in my car.
HU - Pioneer 4950 Mp3 Player
Front - Kenwood KFC-1650SB 160W Dual Cone
Rear - JBL 937 GT 300W 3 Way Coaxial
Honda OE wiring. ( Original wiring not changed.)

There is a hissing sound when music is not playing. eg: when u pause, in between tracks ect. Sometimes the hissing sound is evident when some songs are played. What could be the reason. The person who installed said that it is natural and he even checked it with another HU, in my car. But I'm convinced that there is some problem.

I plan to upgrade my audio system bit by bit. I mean i'm not trashing what i have got now, but i want to install an amplifier, a sub woofer and if required, better front speakers, all on a budget. i plan to install a 4 channel amplifier to power the 2 rear and 2 front speakers for the time being. Can the Kenwood Dual Cone speakers withstand the amplifier or will it get damaged?
Later when i buy a subwoofer i'll power it instead of the front speakers with the same amplifier. So with the scope for future installations (a subwoofer or better front speakers) which amplifier (brand, specification) should i go for? Should i go for new cables/wiring when i install the amplifier?

But first, please help me with my hissing sound problem.
Old 9th July 2007, 21:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
But first, please help me with my hissing sound problem.
During this hissing, is your car engine on or off? Does the sound stay the same with the car running and off?
Old 9th July 2007, 22:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vishnuvijay,

A few questions before anyone can figure the problem out:

1. Which car? (You have a Wagon R and an OHC listed in your profile)
2. Which sound source is producing the hiss: FM or Audio CD or MP3?
3. Did you listen in when the installer changed the HU to show that "everything was normal"?
4. What settings have been made on the HU (Bass, Treble, Fader, Equalizer, etc.)?
5. At what volume level is the hiss just audible? What is the normal volume level that you hear music at?
6. Is the hiss same from the front as well as the rear speakers? You could fade fully to the Front or Rear to check
7. (Sam has already asked that)
Old 9th July 2007, 22:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

My take... use new speaker cable instead of the stock OE wiring... and your problem will go away.
Old 9th July 2007, 22:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hi Vishnuvijay,

A few questions before anyone can figure the problem out:

1. Which car? (You have a Wagon R and an OHC listed in your profile)
2. Which sound source is producing the hiss: FM or Audio CD or MP3?
3. Did you listen in when the installer changed the HU to show that "everything was normal"?
4. What settings have been made on the HU (Bass, Treble, Fader, Equalizer, etc.)?
5. At what volume level is the hiss just audible? What is the normal volume level that you hear music at?
6. Is the hiss same from the front as well as the rear speakers? You could fade fully to the Front or Rear to check
7. (Sam has already asked that)
These are the all the possible reasons..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
My take... use new speaker cable instead of the stock OE wiring... and your problem will go away.
I am quite sure this would not be the reason.
Old 9th July 2007, 23:54   #6
BHPian

I was having this hissing problem whenever the engine was on... the noise used to increase with the engine RPM and v.v. My installer had no clue which component was responsible, so he went for the age old solution - the trial & error method. Changed each part one by one and finally narrowed it down to the HU... the dealer changed the HU and now everything's OK [except the amp tuning has gone haywire in all of this :-(]
Old 10th July 2007, 04:48   #7
BANNED

i had this problem too.. but then i grounded the RC cables.. and its fine now
Old 10th July 2007, 10:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
..[except the amp tuning has gone haywire in all of this :-(]
with an amp my first guess would have been the RCA wire between HU and amp but vishnuvijay does not have an amp.

so untill vishnuvijay answers the gurus cannot offer a solution.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Like navin said, while an RCA cable can pick up enough hiss to be audible, simply because of the peak to peak of pre amplified signal and the fact that the hiss stands an equal chance of being amplified, I have my serious doubts that changing the speaker wire is the answer.

I don't think the audio signal, post-amplification from the HU, is susceptible to audible hiss pick up.

It may change the quality of the sound, but I'm pretty sure changing the speaker cable is not going to get rid of the hiss.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

instead of guessing i think the list of question put forward by Der Alte needs to be answered. That list is pretty comprehensive.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:21   #11
BHPian

I had the same hissing sound problem and Gunnu Paaji rectified it. He opened the boot took a screwdriver bit from his magic box.. paused the music...asked us to shut up and did some magic with my GTO 75.4 and problem solved
Old 10th July 2007, 12:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
I had the same hissing sound problem and Gunnu Paaji rectified it. He opened the boot took a screwdriver bit from his magic box.. paused the music...asked us to shut up and did some magic with my GTO 75.4 and problem solved
that is simple gain setting not magic...ever good installer can do that. which are quite less in the market.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
that is simple gain setting not magic...ever good installer can do that. which are quite less in the market.
True, but perhaps only Gunbir can do all of that: "take a screwdriver bit from his magic box.. pause the music...ask them to shut up and do some magic" - the others can't.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
True, but perhaps only Gunbir can do all of that: "take a screwdriver bit from his magic box.. pause the music...ask them to shut up and do some magic" - the others can't.
Ya I tend to agree and his magic touch does wonder to the sound also..
Old 10th July 2007, 16:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
During this hissing, is your car engine on or off? Does the sound stay the same with the car running and off?
hi sam, engine is off. but i think it's the same noise whether on or off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks