Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 15:34   #1
BHPian

budget - 11 k, amp + Sub or amp + comps?????

I have a budget of 10k (max 2k +) and i really want to improve the sound of my magnum, dunno what to do? the problem is i cannot cut the rear tray, dad's not allowing it... what to do now? and yeah the speakers do really suck I have the kenwood HU and four speakers which are really bad.

i went through many of the posts and threads and came out with two options :

1. amplifier + subwoofer
i really do not know why the shopwala is trying to sell me the JBL basetubes alongwith Blaupunkt GTA 4 amp (hope im right with the model number). are the base tubes really worth the money ?? one costs around 5 k and other around 6k. He tells me that we could connect the 2 channels of the amp to the BT's and the other two to the speakers which would improve the sond quality of the speakers.

[A] (Does connecting a speaker with a amp produce a drastic change in the sound quality??)

i also have blaupunkt speakers ODx 542e (180watt max and 60 watt rms) which are no use to me untill i replace the original speakers of the car with these one's (is it worth replacing them and then may be connecting it with a amp? front or rear doesn't matter)

2. amplifier + components
i have'nt had much discussion about the components setup with the dealer and even i don't have any idea about the components.

My main requirement is a better quality sound with a good bass (the bass specially sucks in the speakers i have)

please help me out

thx
Old 13th September 2007, 17:02   #2
BANNED

Hi to the most wicked section of Team-BHP.

It seems You'll have to upgrade your setup in 2 stages. Buy a 4channel amp and a subwoofer. Add it to your system and enjoy the sound. It will cost you about 6k for a sub and 5k for a decent amp. You also have to spend a bit on wiring and install too. So it totals your budget now.
You can later buy a pair of components and a pair of coaxials and bed it to your setup and connect the 2 channels of your amp to the front components and run the rear coaxials from the HU. You'll have a complete and rocking system.

Bass tubes are good for adding thump to your setup. When compared to a sealed custom box, it may produce a bit of boom but they offer easy installation and are good VFM.
Old 13th September 2007, 18:59   #3
BHPian

so should i use my 2 channel of my amp to power the sub and the remaining 2 to power my speakers??

is there any option for me to use my older blau speakers??
Old 14th September 2007, 00:30   #4
BHPian

1. Which ampl - subwoofer combo should I go in for in such a tight budget keeping in mind the upgradability factor?? I don't have much choices as of now because most of the better brands are not available here in Lucknow or may be I have not been able to find a good dealer. The choices I have as of now is blaupunkt, pioneer and jbl (sony ruled out) and among these I have to get the best combo. I think i'll be able to stretch my budget to max of 13 - 14k, help me in finding out a better amp - sub combo

2. im still really confused about the bass tube and the enclosure type sub. i personally feel after going through many sections of the forum that a box is a better bet in terms of tight and good bass but im not sure if my audiowala can make a good custom box enclosure for my sub... don't know where will i end up.. . should i go in for ecl. (box) or should i buy a jbl (preferrably) bass tube ?
Old 14th September 2007, 08:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
1. Which ampl - subwoofer combo should I go in for in such a tight budget keeping in mind the upgradability factor?? I don't have much choices as of now because most of the better brands are not available here in Lucknow or may be I have not been able to find a good dealer. The choices I have as of now is blaupunkt, pioneer and jbl (sony ruled out) and among these I have to get the best combo. I think i'll be able to stretch my budget to max of 13 - 14k, help me in finding out a better amp - sub combo

2. im still really confused about the bass tube and the enclosure type sub. i personally feel after going through many sections of the forum that a box is a better bet in terms of tight and good bass but im not sure if my audiowala can make a good custom box enclosure for my sub... don't know where will i end up.. . should i go in for ecl. (box) or should i buy a jbl (preferrably) bass tube ?
"I think i'll be able to stretch my budget to max of 13 - 14k,"

LOL,it happens with every1 in ICE section,people come with some budgets and keep extending it

@Beanstalk ok here is stage 1

u can buy Blau GTA-4 or Sony 554,they both are VFM amps and will make better sound
i wud suggest JBL basstube cos its VFM,sounds gr8 and will add lot of thump to your setup

Stage 2
buy a mono amp and components and co-axials and then drive the components(your choice and price range) and co-axials with ur old 4 channel amp and drive the bass tube/sub with the mono amp
and if u want to upgrade in less money then u can buy a 2 channel amp say Blau GTA-2 and bridge its 2 channels to drive the bass tube/sub.

i cant think of anything more VFM than this.

Try to buy stuff with B&W or from someone whom you can trust.
Old 14th September 2007, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

little modification to sunny's ideas above....it would be better to go in for Blau amp instead of Sony.
Old 14th September 2007, 13:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Beanstalk, looking at the thread of the title, I thought you were confused between amp+sub and amp+components. You're taking about just the amp+sub now. Can I know your exact plan?

For 14k, upgradeable setup, I would suggest you get a pair of components (GTO507/607) at 5-6k and a good 4-channel amplifier (JBL/Pio) at 7k. Wiring and installation would be another 2k.

You can add a sub later when your budget permits and connect it to this amplifier.

Tube vs. sealed is always a confusion. If you like tight bass, choose the sealed enclosure, if you like it a little boomy, get the tube. Both would cost between 6-6.5k (12").
Old 14th September 2007, 14:12   #8
BHPian

thx speedzak, panky and raghu for your valuable suggestions

raghu you are right in pointing out the heading of the topic , my basic confusion lies in whether or not i should go in for just components (which comps should i look for in my budget???? ) and 4 channel amp and later add a sub to it OR i should forget about the components and just buy a 4 ch amp and a sub and connect 2 cha to the sub and the other 2 to the front (originally supplied) speakers (but I am confused whether my provided speakers would be able to handle the power of the amp or not )

clarify my doubts
Old 14th September 2007, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

it basically depends upon your budget. you can go ahead with changing all the speakers, buying sub/tube and adding 4 channel + mono.

In case you plan to use your stock speakers with the amp, I suggest upgrading speakers first.
Old 14th September 2007, 15:26   #10
BHPian

hi beanstalk_230,

I was in same situation a month back,see while shapping a system one should always consider future upgradation into consideration otherwise it will be no fun!!
Now comming to ur budget and ur system:-
As u have mentioned u need sweet bass,
i would suggest you to go for a decent 4 channel amp and compos in phase one and ltet me tell u decent compos will make decent bass.
For amp u may consider a kenwood 8401(8K) or jbl cs60.4 (5.5k-6.5k),you consier Blau amp also!!
Connect the amp to a compos in front(Compos start from 4.5k grey to 6.5k)
Sub:- see the most imp thing for a sub is it's enc!!Look out for rquirents like you boot space,then take a call if space is not an issue opt for ported and if space is constarint go for sealed,not many people with their eyes closed can differentiate between sealed and ported enc(Blow of air from ported might help:-) ))

See ICE is for Ears not for eyes,on this forum we can help u with are exp and we share our exp,plz go out and listen then take a call,make no brand preferences on the basis of what's written here as i think that's not right!!
At the end of day taking ur budget into consideration u might like sony too,which i wouldn't recommend,but remember it's ur money,if sony fitts in go for it,it's not that bad and not even good

So plz gout and listen!!build ur systen in pahese if budget is an issue!!
In ice trust your ears more then ur eyes!!!!!!!!
Cheers!!
Old 14th September 2007, 15:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Beanstalk, looking at your reply I'd say the same thing that I did in my last post.

And you're right about your stock speakers, they can't handle an amplifier. If you get a sub+amp now, you'll have to keep the sub level low and have the HU volume pretty high, otherwise, the bass would be dominating. That is the reason why I think it is better to have components+amp first.
Old 14th September 2007, 16:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
That is the reason why I think it is better to have components+amp first.
in which case he will wait for the sub for the bass. catch 22.
Old 14th September 2007, 18:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
in which case he will wait for the sub for the bass. catch 22.
We'll keep saying catch 22 until he increases his budget by another 6-7k
Old 14th September 2007, 23:24   #14
BHPian

i do not have much options here in lucknow, the shopkeeper just has jbl bass tubes and jbl and blau amps. i have decided upon the JBL 12 inch bass tube cs1204T (Rs. 6750) and jbl amps 60.4 (Rs. 9990) or 60.2 (Rs. 7000) or blau GT 4 (Rs. 6350), actually I am going to Delhi in the next few days and now I am in the confusion whether i should buy the products from delhi (especially south delhi .. Lajpat nagar, if anyone has any idea of the shops please do write in) to get a better deal out of the same amount of money. Now i have started to realize how troublesome (not exactly) and tacky setting up an ICE can be.. huh
Old 15th September 2007, 04:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
i do not have much options here in lucknow, the shopkeeper just has jbl bass tubes and jbl and blau amps. i have decided upon the JBL 12 inch bass tube cs1204T (Rs. 6750) and jbl amps 60.4 (Rs. 9990) or 60.2 (Rs. 7000) or blau GT 4 (Rs. 6350), actually I am going to Delhi in the next few days and now I am in the confusion whether i should buy the products from delhi (especially south delhi .. Lajpat nagar, if anyone has any idea of the shops please do write in) to get a better deal out of the same amount of money. Now i have started to realize how troublesome (not exactly) and tacky setting up an ICE can be..
Whooooooooops! Those prices are way too steep, beanstalk. You better avoid that dealer. Even though the bass tube is priced acceptably high, the 60.4 costs around 7-7.5k, 60.2 around 4.5k.

Yes, it is a much better idea to go to Delhi for the components. Panky lives in Delhi, you can contact him for some dealers and I'm sure he can help you out. Panky bhai?

Most Viewed