Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 10:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am going to Ireland in Jan for a week. Is it a good idea to get it through websites in Ireland, like Crutchfield?

During last visit, I found the price of electronic goods in Ireland / Frankfurt Airport to be high.
Unless it is an Irish website, it is one and the same if you order for delivery to India or to Ireland - stiff freight charges which offsets the gain you would have got by buying from a US on-line dealer.

Yes, EU is generally costlier (UK even more so) for electronics than anywhere else. The only way to get good prices in EU is to keep a list ready with the US prices of the items that you need, check local ads for Sale and pick up the item(s) if the price is attractive as compared to the US price. But this is possible only if you are there for at least 3 months.
Old 18th December 2007, 11:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DerAlte. I will be there only for a week. I will check anyway as I go there quite frequently.
Old 19th December 2007, 00:07   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Unless it is an Irish website, it is one and the same if you order for delivery to India or to Ireland - stiff freight charges which offsets the gain you would have got by buying from a US on-line dealer.

Yes, EU is generally costlier (UK even more so) for electronics than anywhere else. The only way to get good prices in EU is to keep a list ready with the US prices of the items that you need, check local ads for Sale and pick up the item(s) if the price is attractive as compared to the US price. But this is possible only if you are there for at least 3 months.
in US, buy US products. in Europe, buy European products. European products though sometimes are cheaper in other tax free zones, since they have a high sales tax. however in many cases on a foreign passport purchase you are eligible for a tax refund, they'd give you a cash discount, or a form through which you can claim refund from their embassies here. :-)
Old 19th December 2007, 10:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

9887 available for 23K b/w. Last I inquired.
Old 20th January 2008, 20:24   #50
BHPian

pioneer p80prs vs alpine-9887

thought of comparing the two hu.both the hu were connected to the proceesors in lbm's car.we made a copy of two cds so that we can run both the units simentaniously.the only difference was that p80 was running through a stringer rca with nuetrik connector but the 9887 had a monster 300 series rca.
before comparing we made sure that both the hu were in FLAT mode without any eq settings.
the difference what I felt was huge.the lows were welly well defined,super tight in 9887 as compared to the p80rs which were more or less boomy.
the soundstage was way better in 9887 then compared to p80.the tweeters were more ACTIVE in 9887 bringing the soundstage upfront without any kind of harshness.vocals were clear in 9887 as compared to p80prs(not sure if this could be because of the different rca's)
with due respect to all the p80 owners ,this is a fabulous hu to own.in terms of looks and build quality it is way ahead then 9887(the typical alpine look with those blue buttons).i found p80 to be slightly laid back but thats my observation.given a choice i PERSONALLY would take 9887 over the p80.
Old 20th January 2008, 20:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Pretty much mirrors our experience too...

Cheers!
Old 20th January 2008, 20:50   #52
BHPian

Nice bit of research.

So this is what you do in your spare time.. Ofcourse, besides regularly hosting the momma-of-all bashes

rev_hard
Old 20th January 2008, 21:19   #53
BHPian

i have not compared the two H Units so cannot comment on the sq. but, i like the 9887. maybe cause im too used to the pio interface and want a change. it is too similar to my 6850 which i hate.

i also like the way the 9887 sounds. its the best unit i have ever heard this side of an HX-d2. the build quality is quite nice as well. the newer alpines are much worse.

the 9887 is not that easy to use but that is what i like. i like complex user interface.

summing it up, the 9887 is pretty much the HU ill buy. but then i have an eye on the HX-D2 and i might buy it soon if i can get one.

sorry for including the HX-d2..

cheers
clip
Old 21st January 2008, 01:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

First of all there exists a similar thread..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...neer-p880.html

Mods please do the need full

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
thought of comparing the two hu.both the hu were connected to the proceesors in lbm's car.we made a copy of two cds so that we can run both the units simentaniously.the only difference was that p80 was running through a stringer rca with nuetrik connector but the 9887 had a monster 300 series rca.
before comparing we made sure that both the hu were in FLAT mode without any eq settings.
the difference what I felt was huge.the lows were welly well defined,super tight in 9887 as compared to the p80rs which were more or less boomy.
the soundstage was way better in 9887 then compared to p80.the tweeters were more ACTIVE in 9887 bringing the soundstage upfront without any kind of harshness.vocals were clear in 9887 as compared to p80prs(not sure if this could be because of the different rca's)
with due respect to all the p80 owners ,this is a fabulous hu to own.in terms of looks and build quality it is way ahead then 9887(the typical alpine look with those blue buttons).i found p80 to be slightly laid back but thats my observation.given a choice i PERSONALLY would take 9887 over the p80.
Thank you Phaji for the start. And congrats on your new headunit and I knew you will be biased on it Chalo here is my Unbiased review.

Ok one more thing the rca is not Stinger it is Supra with Neutrik RCA Plugs.

Now my evaluation. Lets go according to Lucky singh. There was difference but not HUGE according to me. A little EQ adjustment here and there in either of the HU both will sound the same.

The lowers were a little high on the P80 when compared to 9887 but not boomy they were exactly the same tonally and speed wise on both the HU but the level was a little high on the P80 that I agree. The soundstage was a little high not upfront on the 9887 than the P80 but it has a reason behind it. Because 9887 is a little brighter then the P80 but what the sound stage has to do with ? Since guys you know I have a 3-way setup. The tweeters are at a-piller base the mid is on the door close to the power window switch and the midbass at the stock location. The tweeter is HPF at 7khz and the midrange is at HPF at 300 hz and LPF at 7 khz. Now when we played the 9887 there must be a boost at freq more than 7 khz which made the soundstage a little higher but in the case of P80 there must be a cut at freq at 7 khz which made the soundstage lower as the midrange are mounted lower. Having been both the tweeter and midrange mounted together the sound stage would have been the same on both the HU. The imaging and rest of the things were similar. In all of this the 9887 treble is not harsh it is good and has warmth but the P80 is more warmer. I absolutely did not found any difference on the mids part they were 100 % same on both the HU.

Built qualty of both the HU is great no doubt on that part. But I have seen the Pioneer jog dial in few of my friends HU a little loose since time. But it also a lot depends how one use there HU. Button on the 9887 look loose as there was lots of gap in the place where they were mounted unlike pioneer.

Looks P80 wins Hand done the 9887 does not stand a chance.

Interface I like the Pioneer interface quite easy to access and understand, use also. The Alpine interface takes a little time to understand but after some usage it is good. I have Alpine PXA.

The loading and ejecting of CD was fast on the Alpine when compared to the Pioneer which is a good thing.

The Harness which comes with the Alpine is standard color coded but no labels were there are always given with pioneer.

Pioneer has a motorized face plate and the 9887 has normal flip down.

The Alpine has lots of expansions unlike pioneer. I can connect the PXA with it and control from it.

Bottomline. If one likes a good looking HU with lots of feature P80 is the answer. But If one want a high tech HU with infinity large number of tunning options 9887 (but with PXA) is the way to go.I would personally bought 9887 but since I have the PXA first and had the pioneer Ipod interface with me I go the P80. But with out PXA Pioneer wins.
Old 22nd January 2008, 01:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
The tweeter is HPF at 7khz and the midrange is at HPF at 300 hz and LPF at 7 khz. Now when we played the 9887 there must be a boost at freq more than 7 khz which made the soundstage a little higher but in the case of P80 there must be a cut at freq at 7 khz which made the soundstage lower as the midrange are mounted lower.
LBM I did not get you above mentioned lines. Please explain?

According to zuchero both the units are running flat so how can anyone of them can have either cut or boost at your tweeter and midrange crossover point (7KHz).

As per my knowledge "good" HU's have flat response when ran in direct / flat mode hence no question of Alpine having peak and Pioneer having dip in that band until and unless someone has eq'd it.
Old 22nd January 2008, 08:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you Phaji for the start. And congrats on your new headunit and I knew you will be biased on it Chalo here is my Unbiased review.
LBM paaji, how can you say, zucchero is biased towards the 9887? And why should we believe you are unbiased?

Quote:
Now my evaluation. Lets go according to Lucky singh. There was difference but not HUGE according to me. A little EQ adjustment here and there in either of the HU both will sound the same.

The lowers were a little high on the P80 when compared to 9887 but not boomy they were exactly the same tonally and speed wise on both the HU but the level was a little high on the P80 that I agree. The soundstage was a little high not upfront on the 9887 than the P80 but it has a reason behind it. Because 9887 is a little brighter then the P80 but what the sound stage has to do with ? Since guys you know I have a 3-way setup. The tweeters are at a-piller base the mid is on the door close to the power window switch and the midbass at the stock location. The tweeter is HPF at 7khz and the midrange is at HPF at 300 hz and LPF at 7 khz. Now when we played the 9887 there must be a boost at freq more than 7 khz which made the soundstage a little higher but in the case of P80 there must be a cut at freq at 7 khz which made the soundstage lower as the midrange are mounted lower. Having been both the tweeter and midrange mounted together the sound stage would have been the same on both the HU. The imaging and rest of the things were similar. In all of this the 9887 treble is not harsh it is good and has warmth but the P80 is more warmer. I absolutely did not found any difference on the mids part they were 100 % same on both the HU.

Built qualty of both the HU is great no doubt on that part. But I have seen the Pioneer jog dial in few of my friends HU a little loose since time. But it also a lot depends how one use there HU. Button on the 9887 look loose as there was lots of gap in the place where they were mounted unlike pioneer.

Looks P80 wins Hand done the 9887 does not stand a chance.
according to me, alipne wins with everything down. looks are subjective dude. did you mean build quality?

Quote:
Interface I like the Pioneer interface quite easy to access and understand, use also. The Alpine interface takes a little time to understand but after some usage it is good. I have Alpine PXA.
was there a need to mention this?

Quote:
The loading and ejecting of CD was fast on the Alpine when compared to the Pioneer which is a good thing.

The Harness which comes with the Alpine is standard color coded but no labels were there are always given with pioneer.

Pioneer has a motorized face plate and the 9887 has normal flip down.
i think, the motorised face is not a good thing. you have one more thing which can go wrong.

The Alpine has lots of expansions unlike pioneer. I can connect the PXA with it and control from it.

Bottomline. If one likes a good looking HU with lots of feature P80 is the answer. But If one want a high tech HU with infinity large number of tunning options 9887 (but with PXA) is the way to go.I would personally bought 9887 but since I have the PXA first and had the pioneer Ipod interface with me I go the P80. But with out PXA Pioneer wins.[/quote]

i think, the camparison is between two head units. why the pxa is being included?

and i don't beleive these head units are so similar like you mentioned.

no offence meant LB.

cheers

Last edited by clipto333 : 22nd January 2008 at 08:23.
Old 22nd January 2008, 12:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
LBM I did not get you above mentioned lines. Please explain?

According to zuchero both the units are running flat so how can anyone of them can have either cut or boost at your tweeter and midrange crossover point (7KHz).

As per my knowledge "good" HU's have flat response when ran in direct / flat mode hence no question of Alpine having peak and Pioneer having dip in that band until and unless someone has eq'd it.
Sir I think you did not understand my point anyways let me explain my words again.

I did not used EQ but I said If some EQ is done in either of the two they will sound the same.

To check the response of the HU we need a RTA to do that. Here the Pioneer could be at dip at above 7khz or the 9887 would be at boost maybe they are designed the way they sound. I will not agree that both the HU are flat till I have the RTA result.

About the HU thing both are priced equally. And also sound wise they are quite similar sounding no doubt in that.

If any one interested in doing the audition of the same is welcome. And I would like to be a little practical in this front then taking opinions here.
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:05   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not used EQ but I said If some EQ is done in either of the two they will sound the same.

To check the response of the HU we need a RTA to do that. Here the Pioneer could be at dip at above 7khz or the 9887 would be at boost maybe they are designed the way they sound. I will not agree that both the HU are flat till I have the RTA result.
I am really not getting this...
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I am really not getting this...
You means you dont's the gets the meanings .
Old 22nd January 2008, 13:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
LBM paaji, how can you say, zucchero is biased towards the 9887? And why should we believe you are unbiased?
I think you dont did not understand my sense of humor !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333
according to me, alipne wins with everything down. looks are subjective dude. did you mean build quality?
I am saying if we discuss only the HU the features on both the HU are quite similar and P80 has great looks So I think the P80 wins IMHO. Rest if you like Apine I dont have any problem, Hell if I couple it with PXA I also take the 9887.

Quote:
was there a need to mention this?
To tell that I have a tasted the Alpine menu option.

Quote:

i think, the motorised face is not a good thing. you have one more thing which can go wrong.
I have used motorized face hu since what 10 year never experienced any difficult. And never heard of it also.

Quote:

Like what ? And in the reality the HU 9887 alone is nothing till you get a imprint kit which doubles its cost and it is out of range in the price comparison of P80.

Quote:

i think, the camparison is between two head units. why the pxa is being included?

and i don't beleive these head units are so similar like you mentioned.

no offence meant LB.

cheers
I totally agree. I included the PXA because it makes the 9887 far more superior than the P80 but again not everyone buys the PXA and also with the PXA the 9887 goes in the Higher range.

No offense.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks