Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2007, 13:59   #16
BHPian

Deterrminus - Guess you mistook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Perhaps not. Most of these aux-in/ usb in devices have a capacity limit from which it can read. Most of the DVD players with USB fails to read anything above 8GB, and with externally powered drives, upto 40GB. Of course there are work arounds, like format the drive in FAT32 and theoretically it can go to any size, but about 4 levels of hierarchy and 500 folders is where it hangs when I tried with a 300GB drive. But I havent tried any such thing on any car audio HU's though. At the same time, there are head units that can drive iPods via dedicated iPod ports, but if you hook an iPod into a USB port, it is treated as any hard drive and the above mentioned limit applies.

Again on paper, the 6x9 coaxials are full range speakers and should suffice. But how would the setup sound, and more important if you would like it is another story. To know about the chances of just a pair of 6x9's sounding good in a setup, search this thread itself.

I never wanted a HU to read form my iPod or USB drive.
I will not buy a HU, instead I will connect my iPod to a AMP to a pair of Speakers for Rear Door only. Cost is like 7000/- and I'm done. Play with my iPod, playlists and all. I dont think any under 10,000/- HU can manage playlists, and most liked songs, rating a track, search by genre, album, artist - not much flexibility in a HU.

So i plan to drop the HU and only buy an AMP + Speakers for read door.

All I want to know form the GURUS is, if this is done, will the iPod be enuf to deliver to the AMP.? in terms of jargons like Ohms/Watts/RMS or anything you guys call ém.

May be I should draw a small flow diagram!
Old 6th November 2007, 14:11   #17
BHPian

hey guys thanks for the great replies. i guess getting that sony front load usb Hu in greay for 5.5k is just the best fit. I have made a MP3 player form old compu parts way back when the HU never knew what MP3 file format was! But that is a lotta work, like making an inverter, writing shell scripts, loading linux OS with ripped off code, and compiling, and installing s/w like winamp in the HDD and buying a Num-pad keyboard for controlling the player and shutting down and booting etc.. well those were days when I found it too easy and had enuf time after college!

hey between, I wanted to ICE a Estilo that I booked last week. Your help would be useful to me.
Thanks
Danny

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2007 at 21:14. Reason: Relevant link deleted. Thread merged.
Old 6th November 2007, 14:14   #18
BHPian

I have pasted the latest post from my thread here:

I have a iPod with huge memory. I wanted to know if the following setup will work?

1. iPod >> to >>
2. Blau Amp GTA 2 Spl Mk-II (2x120 W/1 x 400W) >> to >>
3. Blau GTx 693 6x9" Triaxial (240W)

I will forego the Hu as of Now, the iPod receives FM + tons of Music.
Means I wont install a head Unit.

I will get the iPod connected to the Triaxial via the Amp!

I want to know if this would work. Will the output be good enough to get a good balance in Low and High pass. Will I need a front Speaker? or component? What speaker size is apt? how about JBL? If you guys suggest JBL - what models? Please gimme some idea!

luv,
Danny
Old 6th November 2007, 15:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post

will the iPod be enuf to deliver to the AMP.?

May be I should draw a small flow diagram!
I am no guru, but in simple words - yes, it is enough. It is just pre-amp and does not involve impedance or other jargons.

I think most of us here get what you're saying - so no need to take trouble in drawing one.
Old 6th November 2007, 17:05   #20
BHPian

Danny, use the Search feature in future. This exact topic has been discussed extensively in a thread started by me here.

I myself am figuring out what to get for this exact kind of setup (no HU, amp, front speakers only), so looks like one of us might have to become the other's guinea pig. A pity we are not in the same city.
Old 6th November 2007, 21:22   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
I have a iPod with huge memory. I wanted to know if the following setup will work?

1. iPod
2. Blau Amp GTA 2 Spl Mk-II (2x120 W/1 x 400W)
3. Blau GTx 693 6x9" Triaxial (240W)

I will forego the Hu as of Now, the iPod receives FM + tons of Music.
I will get the iPod connected to the Triaxial via the Amp!

I want to know if this would work. Will the output be good enough to get a good balance in Low and High pass. Will I need a front Speaker? or component? What speaker size is apt? how about JBL? If you guys suggest JBL - what models? Please gimme some idea!

luv,
Danny
1. how do intend to turn on the amp, most use the remote output of the HU
2. the headphone out of the ipod will not drive the amp sufficiently well
3. if you intend to use the line out you will need some adapater that plugs into the ipod's line out and give your RCA or EP out
4. what do you intend to do for volume control if you use the line out (and not headphone out).
Old 6th November 2007, 23:07   #22
BHPian

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. how do intend to turn on the amp, most use the remote output of the HU
2. the headphone out of the ipod will not drive the amp sufficiently well
3. if you intend to use the line out you will need some adapater that plugs into the ipod's line out and give your RCA or EP out
4. what do you intend to do for volume control if you use the line out (and not headphone out).
thanks Raghu, Navin and my sweet guniea pig! (no offence)

What is the loss when driven from the headphone output. I spoke to a Stereo technician and he too told me soemthing similar. He said it would work cool though, he has promised me to make a demo and show.,

He added the AMP can be switched on with a small switch, and eveything else is fine!
Old 7th November 2007, 09:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

what exactly do u plan on doing why not get a head unit with an aux port so u can connect ur ipd to it

if u connect your ipod to ur amp your only gonna hear it from the set of speakers your amp is connected to and being a 2 chan amp tht means only 2 speakers. later on wen u get 2 more speakers ur not gonna hear anything so..instead of haveing jus rear speakers and connecting ur ipod to ur amp id suggest u get a good set of component speakers. and a decent hed unit with an aux port and the blau amp and ur good to go for now.
Old 7th November 2007, 13:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

When connecting an Ipod to a USB inout, be warned. It may not work.
An iPod does not use the simple FAT32 or FAT16 format present on USB memory devices. A device that can read the information off an iPod from a USB has to have a special software to be able to do that.
To successfully read an iPod, you will probably need an iPod specific data cable.
Simple using the cable that you use to update your iPod, plugged into the USB of your car stereo may not give you what you want.
Old 7th November 2007, 13:15   #25
BHPian

Danny, as I have told you in another thread, this topic of having an ICE system without a HU has been extensively discussed in this thread. In addition, it's a bit irritating that you are posting the same question in multiple threads.

So as far the possibility of such a system goes, stick to that thread. Your question has already been answered (i.e. in short, yes, it's possible). As far as your other questions go, please continue.

btw I was under the impression that iPods (i.e. Apple iPods, not the generic term) didn't have FM.
Old 7th November 2007, 13:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Blau GTA480 (4-ch) and the GTA280 (2-ch) Amps have an aux-in (3.5mm socket) that is meant to be used as input from MP3 players.
(I'm not sure, but I think the earlier GTA 475/275 amps also had this).
Old 7th November 2007, 13:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post

btw I was under the impression that iPods (i.e. Apple iPods, not the generic term) didn't have FM.
There is no generic term baba. There is only one iPod and it is an Apple product and an Apple trademark.

And you are correct, iPods do not have FM.
Old 7th November 2007, 13:20   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And you are correct, iPods do not have FM.
I own a 30GB model, and they don't have a speakerphone just incase we are lazy to put on the headphone. I wonder why they didnt install this feature

Other than FM and Speakerphone, it is a perfect product
Old 7th November 2007, 13:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

*Imagining myself holding an iPod to my ear like a villager listening to the cricket score.*

No I'm glad they didn't put a speaker phone on that lol.
Old 7th November 2007, 13:38   #30
BHPian

^ditto. I hate people who blast (and I use that term loosely) ****ty music on their cell phones in public places. I wish I could have some excuse, like medical insanity, to go around breaking their phones.

And I know that iPod is a very specific and trademarked term. Most people don't and refer to any manner of DAP as an 'iPod' and that's what I was wondering was meant by Danny or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks