Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2007, 23:34   #1
BHPian

USB-In on a basic model HU - is this possible? Zen Estilo

hi,

Thanks for an interactive thread.
Me confused after reading so many threads and advices.
Please give me a good idea on what would fit good for me:

1. Very Cost Conscious - speakers + HU = Rs.12000/- +/-
2. Not a fan of high bass, the music is for me not people outside my car, so I like a nice system that can pick up the high and low pass and give a sharp output.
3. Estilo has speaker cases on the doors, should I use them? or mount the speakrs at the rear? I dont want to use a parcel tray to mount speakers, how about a partial tray tht occupies only 10% of rear space.??
4. what speakers go good for front? and rear? - not necessarily the same brand
5. I like to have a SD card or USB drive support, and oh yeah, I have a 4GB Philips player that I would like to use with the HU - and Aux/Line in will be great!

thanks for reading, any advice would be great!

Note from the Support Staff: Posts from multiple sections merged into one thread. Please continue discussion here.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2007 at 21:19. Reason: See note. Please don't post similar queries in multiple threads.
Old 5th November 2007, 09:20   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
hi,

Thanks for an interactive thread.
Me confused after reading so many threads and advices.
Please give me a good idea on what would fit good for me:

1. Very Cost Conscious - speakers + HU = Rs.12000/- +/-
2. Not a fan of high bass, the music is for me not people outside my car, so I like a nice system that can pick up the high and low pass and give a sharp output.
3. Estilo has speaker cases on the doors, should I use them? or mount the speakrs at the rear? I dont want to use a parcel tray to mount speakers, how about a partial tray tht occupies only 10% of rear space.??
4. what speakers go good for front? and rear? - not necessarily the same brand
5. I like to have a SD card or USB drive support, and oh yeah, I have a 4GB Philips player that I would like to use with the HU - and Aux/Line in will be great!

thanks for reading, any advice would be great!
Hello Danny,

You have asked for your requirements in 3 separate threads. Please use only one thread, so it may help you to get an organised information.

Please refer to the following link for your reply
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...en-estilo.html

Last edited by Krato : 5th November 2007 at 09:22. Reason: Danny;s info in another thread
Old 5th November 2007, 10:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you are cost conscious and looking for real good music I recommend -

1. Any good HU - Clarion, Pioneer,Kenwood (I Believe good music is produced by speakers and not HUs).
2. JBL speakers - 2 for the rear door.

You do not need 4 speakers if you have a small car and want to listen to good music. You may also fit the speaker to the front door but it would unnecessarily distract you when you keep the volume loud for
rear seat passengers.
Old 5th November 2007, 10:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krato View Post
You have asked for your requirements in 3 separate threads.
But how did you ever find out?????
Old 5th November 2007, 13:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
But how did you ever find out?????
Hey Anup,

I did not understand your question.

I saw Danny's reply at three different places and hence told him.

I am not sure if you want to ask something else. Please PM me if I am not able to clarify myself.
Old 5th November 2007, 14:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krato View Post
Please PM me if I am not able to clarify myself.
Sorry, no fault of yours. I think you have good observation!
Old 5th November 2007, 20:46   #7
BHPian

Hi DieselFan

thanks for the advice, I never thought about only installing Rear speakers!
That sounds very cost effective. ICE Gurus please shed some light on what HU(model number) and Rear JBL Speakers can I buy?

I went to the Blaupunkt showroom today. He suggested me a few speakers of the entry level, GTx663 @ Rs.2450/- and the GTx 693 6x9 Triaxial @ Rs.3450/-

What do you guys think is best?
Old 5th November 2007, 21:02   #8
BHPian

DIY - USB-in on a basic model HU - is this possible?

I went to the Blaup showroom today. I understood that a player with a USB-in connection would cost around 4k more than a base HU.

I wonder if it is possible to make a USB connector to the HU (un official ofcourse) and make it read files from the Thumbdrive or a USB HDD?

It will be a wacky idea to do so to a basic model HU, and cost effective too! Any ideas? Gurus pl thro some light?
Old 5th November 2007, 21:29   #9
BHPian

I have a iPod with huge memory. I wanted to know if the following setup will work?

1. iPod
2. Blau Amp GTA 2 Spl Mk-II (2x120 W/1 x 400W)
3. Blau GTx 693 6x9" Triaxial (240W)

I will forego the Hu as of Now, the iPod receives FM + tons of Music.
I will get the iPod connected to the Triaxial via the Amp!

I want to know if this would work. Will the output be good enough to get a good balance in Low and High pass. Will I need a front Speaker? or component? What speaker size is apt? how about JBL? If you guys suggest JBL - what models? Please gimme some idea!

luv,
Danny
Old 6th November 2007, 01:17   #10
BHPian

sounds interesting. but you may not find a buyer, as sony i guess has a head unit with front USB slot for 5500 in grey.

other way could be connecting it to the CD provision in cassette players that come for 2-2.5 k with some adapter. this may work with the iPod, but not simply with USB as the head unit won't be able to read MP3, though it may respond to the audio signal by the iPod.

does anyone know how to go about this?

ah yes, and you also get those FM thingies for some 200 rupees, with which you can connect to your iPod, and the HU then catches it through FM. though i am not aware of transmission losses.
Old 6th November 2007, 02:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I use an AUX cable from MX to connect my mp3 player.
The only drawback is that U need to control the playlist from the mp3 player and not the HU.
Old 6th November 2007, 02:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

How will you control the USB device? You will need to write code for that (not too tough), and then integrate it with the HU (tough).
Old 6th November 2007, 06:48   #13
BHPian

Wont it be better and neater to use an FM transmitter with USB(costs between 1k-3k).

Regards,
Old 6th November 2007, 07:59   #14
rippergeo

It would be neater and cooler to use an FM transmitter, but you'd probably lose 2hrs of playtime from your 10 hr Ipod(battery drain by FM transmitter-can be remedied by ipod car charger)

Its cheaper to get a 3.5 mm connected to the aux input(if you have aux input on your HU and the sound quality seems better too

OR

get the stereo mechanic to solder 3.5 mm to the input from the AM antenna which none of us use anyway. cost me Rs 300 (my sony HU didnt have an aux input) The soldering according to the stereo techie, is delicate work and can be unreliable if not done properly

Some stereos dont have an aux input in front, but have inputs inside the housing (most of the pioneer MP3 models) and dont need any extensive work

Like it was mentioned earlier in this thread, the only drawback to this method is that u need to change songs and playlists on the ipod

I dont mind cos i have special playlists for each drive

Highways- classic rock and metal
City and heavy, slow moving frustrating traffic-coldplay,gomez and the like
travelling with relatives- regional language playlists in hindi tamil and malayalm

DIY USB input into your HU??? way out of my league!

Old 6th November 2007, 13:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
I have a iPod with huge memory. I will get the iPod connected to the Triaxial via the Amp! I want to know if this would work.
Perhaps not. Most of these aux-in/ usb in devices have a capacity limit from which it can read. Most of the DVD players with USB fails to read anything above 8GB, and with externally powered drives, upto 40GB. Of course there are work arounds, like format the drive in FAT32 and theoretically it can go to any size, but about 4 levels of hierarchy and 500 folders is where it hangs when I tried with a 300GB drive. But I havent tried any such thing on any car audio HU's though. At the same time, there are head units that can drive iPods via dedicated iPod ports, but if you hook an iPod into a USB port, it is treated as any hard drive and the above mentioned limit applies.

Quote:
Will the output be good enough to get a good balance in Low and High pass. Will I need a front Speaker? or component? What speaker size is apt? how about JBL? If you guys suggest JBL - what models? Please gimme some idea!
Again on paper, the 6x9 coaxials are full range speakers and should suffice. But how would the setup sound, and more important if you would like it is another story. To know about the chances of just a pair of 6x9's sounding good in a setup, search this thread itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks