Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 19:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

My friend had a Kenwood Double din DVD player , although it had lots of tuning features but the sound quality was total crap. He removed and installed Pioneer DVD and now he enjoy music.
Old 9th November 2007, 19:53   #17

Comps+Rear coax for < 7K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
For about 7 to 7.5K you can get a nice set of components (6" for the front and a pair of coaxials for the rear. That should sort you out.
I just paid 8K for JBL 6 1/4 ovals (GTO937) and 5" boston (coax) in the front. I didn't know you could squeeze in components for 7 to 7.5 K!! Did I pay too much?
Old 9th November 2007, 20:01   #18
BHPian

well IMO all brands make good stuff and ordinary stuff...diff products for diff purses... IMO pioneer makes the worst stuff .....but then pioneer also makes the P80 which is quite nice...
Old 9th November 2007, 21:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
My friend had a Kenwood Double din DVD player , although it had lots of tuning features but the sound quality was total crap. He removed and installed Pioneer DVD and now he enjoy music.
How much did the Kenwood cost and how much did the Pioneer cost? Model numbers?
Old 9th November 2007, 23:22   #20

Sorry mistake! I paid 6.5K for it and not 8K!
Old 10th November 2007, 00:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
How much did the Kenwood cost and how much did the Pioneer cost? Model numbers?
WELCOME TO DUYLINHAUDIO.COM

the model is discontinued now..he got it for 68k in grey. For pioneer he got it exchanged it with some one...

Pioneer Electronics - Sound. Vision. Soul

He is using Illusion Audio Carbon series as front stage. The sound with kenwood as having bit of more vocal with no midbass and very less high and that to un defined one. And the imaging was pathetic like the singer was sitting outside the car. But now everything is perfect in place.

I would never recommend that HU to anyone.
Old 10th November 2007, 01:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansjunk View Post
I just paid 8K for JBL 6 1/4 ovals (GTO937) and 5" boston (coax) in the front. I didn't know you could squeeze in components for 7 to 7.5 K!! Did I pay too much?
well, i don't think you really needed the 4-speaker setup. young guys drive themselves. and in such cases, a front component set and a rear sub create a lovely sound stage, where tonal balances are complete and music sounds good.

i'm not aware of JBL pricing, but sony components with B&W start Rs. 5500 onwards. BA start at Rs. 6200. probably you can still return your 5" co-ax and get comps instead. and return the JBL ovals to get a JBL entry level subwoofer. and get an entry level amp to complete the setup. after all, you are on team-bhp. if your budget doesn't stretch a bit, then what use have you made of all that you learned here?????
Old 10th November 2007, 12:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
with B&W ..... BA start at Rs. 6200.
Could you give a product link?
Old 10th November 2007, 12:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Exactly. Well said, Raghu! I think we cannot blindly post such comments without enough proof and justification. I have listened to a few Kenwood speakers & HU and I think they were VFM.
Sir, its Subjective..... I say Paris Hilton is beautiful, you say NO...Lalita Pawar is better.

I did NOT blindly post. I posted based on my experiences with Kenwood. Sorry I do not have exact date, time, venue and video footage as "proof".

Majority here say that desi alpines are not good, but then why dont you ask for proof and justifications? You ask junta frequenting friendly neighbourhood car accessory walas, they'd rather swear by desi alpine's performance. WHY? Simple....Subjective.

Last edited by panky12345 : 10th November 2007 at 13:00.
Old 10th November 2007, 13:41   #25
BHPian

@panky12345 please go back and read your post and see how it sounds. You will understand my point. If you cant, just let it go...its not your fault
Old 12th November 2007, 14:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
But Kenwood makes some great sounding head units. I dont know your particular model or what exactly happened (though I have a guess or two) but lets not crap the whole brand as such. Their HUs and Amps are quite decent, even great in some cases. Their speakers etc are now avoidable.
Well, I may not be very good in explaining the technical details. But, if you look at the degree of control Kenwood and Pioneer offer on the boost / attenuation, you may get a picture. Example: +/-8dB seems to be the boost/cut range in Kenwood (entry level units), Pioneer offers +/-12dB (similar priced units). The loudness function also seems to have a greater depth in Pioneer than in Kenwood. This indirectly indicates the control dynamic range (from a voltage margin perspective) that the brand is willing to commit. I also observe that my current Sony HU also offers higher boost/cut levels.

From a sheer drive perspective, both brands are rated at 22W continuous - though Pioneer has a 5% THD in the full bandwidth as against a better 1% THD of Kenwood. This is probably because of the higher committed dynamic voltage range in Pioneer. Of course, this means that if you ever happened to drive the HUs to full rated power, then Pioneer has a higher distortion. But, at lower sound levels, on most common days, in the linear zones, THD may be similar [I guess].

But, Gunbir-jee, these are the specs, on paper. What really matters is the real world feel. Of course, the nature of music one prefers also matters. This is where I feel Kenwood is a let down - though I don't know the exact technical reasons.

I have listened to Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sony units in my friends' cars too, in a variety of installations. I would go with Pioneer on top, Sony in the middle and Kenwood on the bottom of the list. I don't have extensive listening experience in other brands, so can't comment.
Old 12th November 2007, 14:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
these are the specs, on paper. What really matters is the real world feel. Of course, the nature of music one prefers also matters. This is where I feel Kenwood is a let down - though I don't know the exact technical reasons.

I have seen lots of manufacturers who mislead there customers with wrong specs in which there customer falls and get a mediocre product at the price of a expensive one.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Could you give a product link?
i'd rather not.

go to Google

use a few keywords till you find the "Boston Acoustics" website.

go therein to car audio.

and find your way to S 50 (5.5") or S 60 (6.5") component sets. they are both MRPed at 6200.

which side of delhi are you put up?
Old 12th November 2007, 16:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
But, Gunbir-jee, these are the specs, on paper. What really matters is the real world feel. Of course, the nature of music one prefers also matters. This is where I feel Kenwood is a let down - though I don't know the exact technical reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
The sound with kenwood as having bit of more vocal with no midbass and very less high and that to un defined one. And the imaging was pathetic like the singer was sitting outside the car.
End of the day it seems we all have different tastes. I would pick the Kenwood out of that lot and I can make you listen to some very nice sounding cars with Kenwood HUs. It seems the very things I like (and I'm not alone), are the ones you guys seem to dislike... and thats fine.

Cheers!
Old 12th November 2007, 17:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
End of the day it seems we all have different tastes. I would pick the Kenwood out of that lot and I can make you listen to some very nice sounding cars with Kenwood HUs. It seems the very things I like (and I'm not alone), are the ones you guys seem to dislike... and thats fine.

Cheers!

My friend has been using Kenwood for past 5 years...
and sound quality is too good.. and never experinced any problem with it..
even i went to bhandari auto ..in that showroom i listented to various combination like pio + jbl ,pio + kenwood,ken+jbl,ken+blap,sony+ sony, sony + jbl,etc
out of all those ken + jbl was awosme and sony+sony was third grade thats why i went with kenwood .. it has very good vocla sound quality and very good bass..thats what i was intrested in..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks