Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 23:47   #61
Senior - BHPian

Measuring Amplifier Output Power

This might help as measuring across amp terminal with no load is total bull ****.
Old 4th December 2007, 00:45   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Measuring Amplifier Output Power

This might help as measuring across amp terminal with no load is total bull ****.
nice link.

i just read "[SIZE=3]The amplifier is capable of producing only 205 true watts (RMS power). When using a speaker, it appears to be able to produce as much as 376 watts (which it clearly is not capable of doing)."

[/SIZE]do you know why this happens?

and secondly, how true are the ratings by these brands? aren't they certified by CEA and compliant to certain tests? i'm sure they would, otherwise they would be sued.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
i just read The amplifier is capable of producing only 205 true watts (RMS power). When using a speaker, it appears to be able to produce as much as 376 watts (which it clearly is not capable of doing)."

do you know why this happens?

and secondly, how true are the ratings by these brands? aren't they certified by CEA and compliant to certain tests? i'm sure they would, otherwise they would be sued.

Because of the speaker does not have fixed resistance and in the test fixed resistance is used. Also the speaker resistance varies with the freq at which we test it..

That I dont know that they can be sued as there are also loop hole in every method. and the CEA standards are very like (taken for the cea aritcle)

Output Power: All amplifiers are designed to deliver power. This is the spec that indicates just how much power an amplifier can provide. The reference characteristics for this pec are tightly controlled, so this spec provides a true apples-to-apples comparison that’s useful when you’re trying to figure out which amplifier to buy. Primary Output Power is always expressed as watts RMS and measured with 14.4V DC supply, a 4-ohm load, and with 1% or less total harmonic distortion in the amplifier’s output. You may be thinking, Hey, wait a minute. If I’m going to drive a 1-ohm load, how will I know how much power the amplifier will make driving that impedance?” There are other specs included in CEA 2006 that indicate the output power of the amplifier for specialized use, like lower impedance, different supply voltage, or with multiple channels bridged.

The whole article (thanks to JBL)

http://www.jbl.com/car/product_suppo...IA_CEA2006.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks