Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 12:09   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Civic - ICE upgrade advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
GUys wanted if it's possible to fit a Head unit with aux and usb in and which is just like the Civic stock unit so that i do not have to fit the dashboard trim kit.
I am aware of the option where one can get a aux in fitted on the stock OE but don't want to risk cutting wires etc.
I believe companies like Caska and Motevo have HUs that will look like stock in you Civic and give you a lot more functionality (from DVD playback to Navigation etc..).

They are usually supplied with a harness so you do not need to cut wires.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

If I wanted to replace the HU of the Civic with one that will allow future expansion for better sound, but also immediately provide the existing set up access to USB and Bluetooth connectivity, what would be a good unit to buy? The new HU should fit in place exactly the way the OE unit on a 2008 car does.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:17   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
If I wanted to replace the HU of the Civic with one that will allow future expansion for better sound, but also immediately provide the existing set up access to USB and Bluetooth connectivity, what would be a good unit to buy? The new HU should fit in place exactly the way the OE unit on a 2008 car does.
What you need to fit in a stereo in the Civic is a "dash kit". Most reputed aftermarket accessory stores would have one. It is kind of an adapter which facilitates fitment of a single or a double DIN head-unit. In all likelihood, a single-DIN headunit should suffice your requirement.

If you are looking for an aftermarket stereo in the exact shape as the one in your Civic then it would be a little difficult to find.

Take a look at stereos fitted in these two cars for an idea:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...nto-disco.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...uch-hertz.html
Old 18th June 2013, 15:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
It is kind of an adapter which facilitates fitment of a single or a double DIN head-unit. In all likelihood, a single-DIN headunit should suffice your requirement.
[/url]
All I want to do first is to change the HU to one that will work with AAC files on my iPod, via a USB socket to dock connector link, that will also charge the iPod. And which can be easily installed into the existing wiring behind the existing HU in the car, once the adapter is installed.

Later the new HU should be able to integrate into any subsequent audio system upgrades.

What are the advantage of a double DIN HU?

And single or double DIN, any recommended makes/models?
Old 18th June 2013, 18:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are the advantage of a double DIN HU?

And single or double DIN, any recommended makes/models?
I have figured out the DIN thing, is there any make for HUs that is advised over others?
Old 19th June 2013, 02:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have figured out the DIN thing, is there any make for HUs that is advised over others?
Alpine for best sound quality.
Pioneer products have really gone downhill.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 10:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... is there any make for HUs that is advised over others?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Alpine for best sound quality. ...
There is no make that can be advised over others. The ultimate quality is model dependent - each brand has at least one product which is really great. In general Kenwood and Alpine have sweet sound, though one cannot say Pioneer, JVC or Clarion doesn't make good music (which, incidentally, many agree that Sony is not able to). Between these and white branded products from China (Pyle, Boss, ... and 2DIN 'computers' like Caska, Motevo) there is a distinct difference in quality.
Old 29th June 2013, 13:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

Greetings..I've got a 2006 civic and I was looking to improve the overall audio experience. I listen to Trance and house and the bass from stock speakers isnt anything to talk about. I'm low on cash now so was thinking about a staggered upgrade. Change the speakers now and add an amp and sub later.

Should I go in for components for both front nd back or components
at the front and co-axials at back? Any idea how much do
component speakers and co-axial speakers cost, on an average for a pair?

Anything else I should keep in mind? wattage of the speakers etc? Any particular brands u recommend? Keeping in mind that I will add a sub and amp, I want to make a proper choice hence the questions. sorry but I'm a noob when it comes to Car audio
Old 29th June 2013, 15:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
... Should I go in for components for both front nd back or components
at the front and co-axials at back? Any idea how much do
component speakers and co-axial speakers cost, on an average for a pair? ...
1. Components in front and coaxials in the back

2. Components in the back won't enhance the experience in the front. The rear seat passengers do hear the fronts too. OTOH, components in the rear pull the front image back a bit, since the rear tweeters are nearer the front seat

3. Components start about 6K for a pair. Round coaxes are usually 3K or less
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 16:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Components in front and coaxials in the back

2. Components in the back won't enhance the experience in the front. The rear seat passengers do hear the fronts too. OTOH, components in the rear pull the front image back a bit, since the rear tweeters are nearer the front seat

3. Components start about 6K for a pair. Round coaxes are usually 3K or less
Thanks. Any particular speakers that you recommend? particular brand/model? JBL are good I heard. Is there any specific wattage that I need to watch out for? Something too high and the stock HU might not be able to handle it
Old 30th June 2013, 07:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Any particular speakers that you recommend? particular brand/model? JBL are good I heard. Is there any specific wattage that I need to watch out for? Something too high and the stock HU might not be able to handle it
There are others: Infinity, Bull, Morel, Hertz, ... audition as many as you can so that you can select one to your liking.

Don't worry about wattage - all car speakers can take power from HU.
Old 30th June 2013, 12:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are others: Infinity, Bull, Morel, Hertz, ... audition as many as you can so that you can select one to your liking.

Don't worry about wattage - all car speakers can take power from HU.
I am looking to spend around 10-12k. Budget for Components is arnd 6-7k a pair and around 4k for a pair of co-axials. Any recommendations within this budget for a Civic? future proof of course as I intend to add a sub and amp later.

All I'm worried is whether I would see a difference. Some folks tell me there will be a marked difference while others say not much if I stick with the stock HU.
Old 30th June 2013, 16:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... All I'm worried is whether I would see a difference. Some folks tell me there will be a marked difference while others say not much if I stick with the stock HU.
I assume you mean difference between stock speakers and replacement components. No, there is a marked difference between stock and after-market speakers even when the stock HU is driving them.

There are 2 issues with stock HU otherwise:
1. Since the stock HU is biased internally (like an Equalizer) for limited capability stock speakers, replacement speakers might have either bass or high frequencies artificially accentuated. Needs a subtle adjustment in the HU equalizer to correct it

2. The power of the internal amp of the HU is very limited, which results in distortion setting in at loudness level that external amps will not distort. Also, with the higher power of external amps, the dynamic range is much better (a sudden very loud passage at a moderate volume does not distort)
Old 30th June 2013, 17:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I assume you mean difference between stock speakers and replacement components. No, there is a marked difference between stock and after-market speakers even when the stock HU is driving them.

There are 2 issues with stock HU otherwise:
1. Since the stock HU is biased internally (like an Equalizer) for limited capability stock speakers, replacement speakers might have either bass or high frequencies artificially accentuated. Needs a subtle adjustment in the HU equalizer to correct it
So it's not something I can't adjust. I plan to stick to the stock HU as I prefer the stock look.

For around 6k for components and 4k for co-axials, any particular brands that provide performance at these prices?
Old 30th June 2013, 17:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... any particular brands that provide performance at these prices?
Please see post 56 above - I already gave some brand names to audition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks