Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 06:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

voila it's time to apply the medicine once again to cure ice bug bite.

alright it’s the time once again that I am notching upping the audio in my swift again! ooh yes again! he he he...

I thank the team-bhp gurus and fellow enthusiasts for their patient support, for sharing their installs and helping me. And this time I have a few queries I need the help of gurus here again.

Well after selling the accent viva, I still have the amplifiers from that install not the speakers though. So I need to find the right set of speakers and this time the long over due sub-woofer for the prince ( JBL BPX 500.1 – Crown engineered).

The previous install in the swift was
Pioneer 6950 HU
JBL GTO 607 C front sound stage
No rear fills
JBL GTO 1004 e 4-channel amplifier
And JBL CS 1204 S sub woofer
wires were finolex 6SqmmX4=24Sqmm wire for power and grounding.
Monster 101 RCA interconnects
Kicker 16AWG speaker wires.

This time the set up would be as follows
Eclipse CD 3100 HU.
Four channel amplifier JBL GTO 75.4
Mono Amplifier JBL BPX 500.1 (crown engg.=1 Ohm stable)
Sub woofer JL audio 10W6V-D4 I was suggested this for the tight clean bass in a small box and I am getting this.
Wires are Kicker 4AWG for each amplifier.
audison speaker wires and sub woofer connection wires.

And now the problem is the selection of the speakers, I have the options between Hertz and Alpine. so far the decision on front sound stage is due, the rear fill will be added later or omitted on depending on how this issue gets resolved.

I ruled out the others based on the rms power requirements(i ended up blowing up a couple of jbls gto 607/608 off late playing just 2 songs' length of time on loud volume, hence the decision) and audition, the ones eliminated were the focal entry series, JbL gto 608c, infinity 6020 ref and kappa, polk, rockford fosgate and a few others.

Hence the choices were narrowed down to the alpine Type R spr-17s (two way components) ~ 110W rms, was given a quote of 15K+ for this and I guess I would have to wait for a day or two to get these or

the Hertz ESK 163s three way comps given a price quote of 14K but this one is 125W rms, given the odds of hassle of install and the price of which I am not really sure of, I liked the way the two way version of the same sounded hooked to a jvc avx HU and infinity amp, but what I am really skeptical about is the will the 75.4 do justice to these speakers in terms of providing enough power?

Also how good will they be with alpines rated at 110W rms in terms of providing power?

Second is the price I am paying right for either of the speakers?
And in any case I would prefer a 3-way to the two ways I had the 3-way power series installed in the accent viva by none other than Mr.Anwar of TOP GEAR bangalore (now) and really loved them over the two ways.
And would bridging all the four channels of the amp and providing the entire 284W rms(from two bridged channels @4OHMS) to each set (left and right) of this hertz sets and playing loud at times have some disasters consequences or like the crazy power series can these too take all that beating, man o man the power series could that kind of power for sure. How would the same set up hold up with the alpines?

The first reason for tilting towards hertz is because I would get the 3-way component speakers and the second reason for asking about the Hertz energy series is because I can get them now and ready is the number two reason.

Thank you for all the help in advance.

The installation of the amps would start in the late afternoon today and I shall surely post the pictures of the same. Guys need the inputs real fast. I don’t mind waiting for the alpines a day or two, the sub enclosures and the amp installation would that time anyway mean while I need to make up my mind for the set of speakers to get in that 15K price bracket and the rears fills would come in the near future.

Should I go for the Hertz or the Alpines?

I am open to all suggestions, the installation atleast a part of it would be done today as I get a holiday for mohurram.

Yes I almost forgot the place I am getting these at chequered flag Minister’s road. This guy now stocks Audison(all interconnects, cables etc apart from the amps and speakers), hertz, MBquart, Kicker, JL audio,POLK Audio, JBl, infinity, JVC, Pio, and a few more, and more over he has some slick alloys if someone wants to check out. The installation here was mediocre the last time I checked and the installers have changed this time around need to find out how good they are during install today.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Chequered Flag, I just want to provide the info here on team-bhp for the fellow members as there are really few shops I mean less than five that stock high end audio here in Hyderabad and this is one of them few shops apart from PITSTOP and Xenex atleast to best of my knowledge.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:10   #62
Team-BHP Support

Re: voila it's time to apply the medicine once again to cure ice bug bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post

So I need to find the right set of speakers and this time the long over due sub-woofer for the prince ( JBL BPX 500.1 – Crown engineered).

Pioneer 6950 HU

Eclipse CD 3100 HU.
Sub woofer JL audio 10W6V-D4 I was suggested this for the tight clean bass in a small box and I am getting this.

will the 75.4 do justice to these speakers in terms of providing enough power?

Also how good will they be with alpines rated at 110W rms in terms of providing power?

Second is the price I am paying right for either of the speakers?

And in any case I would prefer a 3-way to the two ways...And would bridging all the four channels of the amp...How would the same set up hold up with the alpines?[/i]

The first reason for tilting towards hertz is because I would get the 3-way component speakers and the second reason for asking about the Hertz energy series is because I can get them now and ready is the number two reason.

Yes I almost forgot the place I am getting these at chequered flag Minister’s road. ...JL audio..
1. at 15k I would listen to DLS, Rainbow, CDT etc..
2. The 75.4 will drive almost any 6" component speaker well
3. wattage ratings are usualy thermal and not always conducted under the same conditions so they are hardly the measure of a good speaker or even the physical capabilities of a speaker (which are far less than thermal).
4. 3 ways offer more flexbility (higher modrange XO etc..) but do not nesscarily sound better than 2 ways.
Old 18th December 2010, 19:43   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: voila it's time to apply the medicine once again to cure ice bug bite.

Quote:

Pioneer 6950 HU
No rear fills
wires were finolex 6SqmmX4=24Sqmm wire for power and grounding.
Monster 101 RCA interconnects
Kicker 16AWG speaker wires.

Eclipse CD 3100 HU.
Wires are Kicker 4AWG for each amplifier.
audison speaker wires and sub woofer connection wires.
I've highlighted the things I want to talk about.

You're replacing a GTO1004 with an older GTO75.4? Why?

The GTO75.4 was one of my favourite amplifiers and will drive any 6" component you throw at it with ease.

A BPX500.1? Respect. However a 4AWG power kit is not enough, if you exploit this fellow to its potential. I would recommend a 2AWG kit at least. ESPECIALLY if you're looking at running it with a load of 2Ω or 1Ω
Old 18th December 2010, 20:18   #64
BHPian

re: Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift

Hi Rider,
I have Hertz in my swift. Though they are in the startup range but their mid bass is much better than similar priced JBL IMO. The sound is really good in hertz and their 3ways are much better than pioneer ones. Just hear then once and you would surely go for them.
Old 18th December 2010, 23:27   #65
Senior - BHPian

people its been a real busy day and i just got home after the installation, please give me a day to relax and i promise to post the updates and all the progress. thank you.
Old 20th December 2010, 20:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. at 15k I would listen to DLS, Rainbow, CDT etc..
2. The 75.4 will drive almost any 6" component speaker well
3. wattage ratings are usualy thermal and not always conducted under the same conditions so they are hardly the measure of a good speaker or even the physical capabilities of a speaker (which are far less than thermal).
4. 3 ways offer more flexbility (higher modrange XO etc..) but do not nesscarily sound better than 2 ways.

1. well those brands are unheard of in hyderabad, and to audition them i would have to wait till jan end to visit Bangalore or other places, and procuring them is another task all together. thank you for the suggestion, dint know these brands had speakers at these prices, could some one please which model speakers from DLS and Rainbow are available at this price range.(well of course for future reference)
2.allright...
3.navinji could u please kindly explain as the what one should consider as a measure of a good speaker apart from trying to match the wattage, i know for one, one must match the wattage unless some one has deep know of the components they use.
4.i understand but then some how the JBL 3 ways is stuck up in my mind so thats that for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I've highlighted the things I want to talk about.

You're replacing a GTO1004 with an older GTO75.4? Why?

The GTO75.4 was one of my favourite amplifiers and will drive any 6" component you throw at it with ease.

A BPX500.1? Respect. However a 4AWG power kit is not enough, if you exploit this fellow to its potential. I would recommend a 2AWG kit at least. ESPECIALLY if you're looking at running it with a load of 2Ω or 1Ω

i replaced the my second 1004e(i mean the first in the car was replaced because it went bust) because this time the lpf/hpf switch was busted and i was vaguely told the reason was heat or some such nonsense. i dint want to get it repaired had enough with them.

Yes sam A BPX 500.1, and yes I am running the 10” JL sub woofer, DVC, model number 10W6v2. @2Ω impedance, and with 4AWG kicker power cable for now. I haven’t had the chance to exploit this amplifier fully yet, when I find the time to do so I shall upgrade the wire and battery too if possible (need moolah for them stinger or such batteries) and the point is duly noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi Rider,
I have Hertz in my swift. Though they are in the startup range but their mid bass is much better than similar priced JBL IMO. The sound is really good in hertz and their 3ways are much better than pioneer ones. Just hear then once and you would surely go for them.
Thank you for the heads up anandg, I went ahead with the hertz ESK 163L 3-way components for now, and I even put in the same energy series co-axials as rear fills this time. I got a deal I couldn’t refuse in this speaker sets and woofer purchase package so I took it and boy I don’t have a second thought that I dint try the DLS or the other mentioned I am happy with this set up. They are a little bit laid back compared to Power series of JBL, or should I say the mid range and high are real mellow in comparison just right for long hour listening which I say is JBL power series minus the harshness and the clarity is still there, the different signature sound is evident though. But the only thing that’s still bothering me are the mid basses, I dint find them all that strong, may be I need to tune it further or get a fiber glass install done or the sub needs to be mellowed down more for the same, need some time to figure this part out.

And as for the promised feast the pics follow, feast on…

MODS please change the title to "Eclipse+JBL+Hertz+JL set up upgrade" or one more appropriate. thank you

"rest of the pics would take a couple of days my camera isnt with me at the moment".
Attached Thumbnails
Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010061.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010063.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010065.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010067.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010068.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010071.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010072.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010082.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010083.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010084.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010080.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010085.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010089.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010090.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010091.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010092.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010093.jpg  

Eclipse-Hertz-JL audio-Jbl(amps) in the swift-17122010094.jpg  

Last edited by rider60 : 20th December 2010 at 20:47.
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

mods please rename the thread. the upgrade is done and i would post rest of the pics soon.

edit: well, can some one please point me in the direction of finding a subwoofer controller for the BPX 500.1 i lost mine and i would like to get an original one again. thank you.

Last edited by rider60 : 22nd December 2010 at 01:35.
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
well, can some one please point me in the direction of finding a subwoofer controller for the BPX 500.1 i lost mine and i would like to get an original one again. thank you.
Yash, good to see you back in action after a while. By the way, my Infinity mono is gone kaput, so the controller is available if you want one as a standby .
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:53   #69
Team-BHP Support

Re: Eclipse, JBL and JL Audio in swift

Quote:
3.navinji could u please kindly explain as the what one should consider as a measure of a good speaker apart from trying to match the wattage, .
The ONLY foll proof way I know to determine the quality of a speaker is to listen to it. Paper specification leave too much room for manupilation given that the parameters used by manufacturers are not the same.
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

thank you arun anna, i already have a stand by controller, this one is used for polk amps, but i am looking to buy the original JBL bass level controller, any one, i mean any one at all who can help me with this please?

Navinji, point duly noted, will try to audition in the future and that depends completely on the availability of a setup and the chances of the same are really poor at the moment in Hyderabad. this time its T-bhp and other first hand user's reviews i had to rely on, and boy i am i glad i did, just love the current setup in the car.
The bass is real deep and hits right on the chest not the ears at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks