Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 16:59   #1
BHPian

Fiesta SXI in dash cd player drawbacks?

Hi gurus!

I'm considering buying a fiesta 1.6 sxi version. It comes with an in-dash 6 cd changer and 6 speakers. I don't know much about ICE but i'm an amateur musician and I love my music. I want to know if there are any drawbacks of having an integrated system in case I want to mod it at a later stage and if anyone is aware of the performance of the integrated system that comes with fiesta.

Also I do know is that the changer will not play mp3 cds. I can live with that because I have a huge audio cd collection.

I asked the salesman if I can plug in my ipod to the system he said yes it can be done but he wasn't sure how and said he will confirm. Anyone aware of that? In case there is no audio jack the only way to plug an ipod would be using an fm transmitter. What is the quality of such a setup?

I'm sorry if that's too many questions but I expect the gurus to know everything

Thanks in advance!
Old 7th May 2008, 23:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuch View Post
I want to know if there are any drawbacks of having an integrated system
I asked the salesman if I can plug in my ipod to the system he said yes it can be done but he wasn't sure how and said he will confirm.
most integrated systems have limited expandibility for amplifiers.
using a FM transmistter is no thte best way to connect an ipod, use a EP to RCA wire or a ipod cable.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
most integrated systems have limited expandibility for amplifiers.
using a FM transmistter is no thte best way to connect an ipod, use a EP to RCA wire or a ipod cable.
Thanks navin, I think the system does not provide any expandability to use an ipod / amplifier from what I've been told by the sales guys.
1. Is it possible to change the stock integrated system?
2. Would you recommend it for a new car?
Old 8th May 2008, 12:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks navin, I think the system does not provide any expandability to use an ipod / amplifier from what I've been told by the sales guys.
I have not seen the insides of a Fiesta. Some cars (Skoda, Opel, Honda City) accept 3rd party HUs as is and some cars (corolla, civic) need a dash mounting kit.
Old 8th May 2008, 12:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Last month I had gone on a Rajasthan Road trip in my friends Fiesta ( Diesel Top Model ).

I made 3-4 CD's with my favourite songs as I knew it will not play MP3's. All I can say is that the Fiesta's music system is Top Class !! It's loud, clear and has great audio quality. The Bass effects and sound clarity is really good. Now I am no ICE Expert but I know how music should sound like and the Fiesta did that really well.

I am not sure about plugging the IPod but I am sure there are no Aux Ports.
Old 8th May 2008, 13:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At least the sales guys gave you correct info. In my case, I read the Fiesta manual before buying the car, and a page (45 I think) mentions about an aux in connection. But in reality there is no aux in connection.

Best possible thing you can do is to ask for a reduction of 33 K if you do not take the stock system--that is what it costs, but I'm not sure if it includes the 6 speakers in the cost.
If you take it and fiddle with it, you may lose warranty over it.
Old 8th May 2008, 13:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Just bought a new fiesta SXI d for my sis,it has the newer version of the in dash cd changer,the sound of the unit is not good and i am sure there are no rca outs so adding a amplifier can be just through hi level inputs from speakers.

I'd recommend to change the headunit if you are looking for quality.
Old 8th May 2008, 13:52   #8
BHPian

Thanks all for your inputs. From the mixed views I guess the fiesta has a decent system considering its a stock one but it will not please the hard-core audiophile.

Also if the standard system is removed it should support a 3rd party HU since the lower versions don't come with a music system and a standard system can be installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Best possible thing you can do is to ask for a reduction of 33 K if you do not take the stock system--that is what it costs, but I'm not sure if it includes the 6 speakers in the cost.
If you take it and fiddle with it, you may lose warranty over it.
This sounds like a good idea if they agree to sell me the car without the system that would be the best. I will find out about this.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:32   #9
BHPian

Just an update. I spoke to a couple of Ford dealers and none of them is willing to sell me a car without the integrated system. They say it is factory fitted and you can remove it if you want it won't void the warranty(I'm a little skeptical of that). I think I'll just go ahead and buy the car and use the stock system for a while and think about changing it after a few months if i don't like the performance.
Old 9th May 2008, 12:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just an update. I spoke to a couple of Ford dealers and none of them is willing to sell me a car without the integrated system. They say it is factory fitted and you can remove it if you want it won't void the warranty(I'm a little skeptical of that). I think I'll just go ahead and buy the car and use the stock system for a while and think about changing it after a few months if i don't like the performance.
Good decision. I too have been using the stock 6 cd player and enjoying its output. Only gripe that remains is that I can't play my mp3 collection from my Sandisk player.
I've resisted the urge to change the ICE,because it looks so well integrated with the dash, and sounds pretty good.
I may give Belkin FM transmitter a try soon.
Old 9th May 2008, 12:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Last month I had gone on a Rajasthan Road trip in my friends Fiesta ( Diesel Top Model ).

I made 3-4 CD's with my favourite songs as I knew it will not play MP3's. .
vkochar, may I ask you how you 'made' those cds with your favourite songs? I too could replicate it, as I have no other choice. I don't wanna change the stock system in my sxi.
Old 9th May 2008, 13:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
vkochar, may I ask you how you 'made' those cds with your favourite songs? I too could replicate it, as I have no other choice. I don't wanna change the stock system in my sxi.
I took a few Blank Sony Cd's and then used Nero and then Burned those !! Am I Missing something here ?

No point changing the Stock system, I think it sounds damn good. Also It will be tough filling that huge space if you throw the stock one out.
Old 9th May 2008, 13:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took a few Blank Sony Cd's and then used Nero and then Burned those !! Am I Missing something here ?

No point changing the Stock system, I think it sounds damn good. Also It will be tough filling that huge space if you throw the stock one out.
Thanks. I am not an expert with Nero, and have used it only once to burn a vcd from my handycam tape.
So can you PM me the procedure to burn a CD? Do you have to copy the original song to the hard disk, if so in what format, etc?
I have mp3 songs, so will I be able to convert them to audio cds?
Old 9th May 2008, 18:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have mp3 songs, so will I be able to convert them to audio cds?
Yes you can make Audio CD's out of MP3's. Child's Play really once you do it.

Goto Nero > StartSmart and Click on Favourites > Make Audio CD Tab

Load A Blank writable CD and then add songs ( the ones you want to convert ) MP3 to Audio CD. I think it can manage 16 - 18 songs on a 700 MB CD. That's it. You will be able to see how much you can fit in when the graph crosses Red below in the Nero WIndow.

Cheers !!
Old 9th May 2008, 21:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you can make Audio CD's out of MP3's. Child's Play really once you do it.

Goto Nero > StartSmart and Click on Favourites > Make Audio CD Tab

Load A Blank writable CD and then add songs ( the ones you want to convert ) MP3 to Audio CD. I think it can manage 16 - 18 songs on a 700 MB CD. That's it. You will be able to see how much you can fit in when the graph crosses Red below in the Nero WIndow.

Cheers !!
Thanks buddy. Will give this a try asap

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks