Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 14:58   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

He then asks me a question that completely stumps me...

To be continued..
Like this "I thought you said you were coming yesterday.."
Old 25th August 2008, 20:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Satya asks me: 'I remember it was a re-install...but what is it that you want'?

'Oh Man...' I think, am I in the right place? I tell him, 'why don't you look at the current mess..'.

We both go to the car, open the doors, boot and he looks at the Sub, Amp and laughs and is saying thinks similar to: 'Oh my God. you have this JBL-XYZ... Amp. it's a pain to tune and it is so and so and so'

Understandably, I don;t understand a word and we walk inside the shop. I tell him: 'Ok. Give me good news and the bad news'. He says that good news is that your comps, sub are OK and the JVC HU is great. The bad part is the wiring and the amp. Nothing wrong with the amp, it's just that tuning is a pain and it works nice only at a particular setup.

BTW, the time is around 3.30'ish and he asks me on the kind of music I listen to and briefs me on what needs to be done. I give him a clean chit on what needs to be done by saying 'make me happy and I should like the music I hear'.

Meanwhile work is already happening on 2 T-BHP cars (Zaks & 1 other), so I just sit and wait, chit chat till 5.30'ish when the work actually starts.

As soon as Zaks car ICE is finished I bring my car to get it ripped. Satya's guys are good at riping cars man. Really. they were efficient and effective. Went about their job nicely.

As soon as the time for HU to get wired, we realize that the wiring harness/pin connectors are not there in the box. We have a mini crisis and I make some calls. Meanwhile, luckily we find a Kenwood connector/harness that would fit the JVC so work starts.

Meanwhile, at around 7.00'ish Satya says that he is going out for an hour and his chaps keep on with the work. Things get installed and his chaps try to set the ICE . At around 9.00-9.30'ish is when Satya returns and proceeds with checking the install. We spend the next 1 hour tuning the ICE, Amp & HU and then at around 11.00'ish we call it a day.

While I feel that there is still scope for fine-tuning the ICE and will be visiting Satya in the next couple of weeks, here are my first impressions on ICE, and also my experience with Satya.
  • As Satya said, the HU + re-wiring has made a world of difference. Guys now I realize how carry the Sony HU was.
  • The sharpness & crispness in sound is very distinct.
  • At some high volume, with bassy songs the vocals seem to be going haywire to some extent. Thats my view -- don't know how to put it in ICE terms
  • The wiring & the install looks very neat. Satya's guys have done a good enough job.
  • Satya spent a lot of time and effort in tuning the car to my liking and has promised to re-tune it after I listen to it for some time and keep a note of what I like and what I would want to be re-tuned.
  • Not so nice part: The interiors of the car are all filled with small wire shavings and wood dust from the drilling of the MDF-board. It's a literal mess. However; I am wiling to give Satya a benefit of doubt as it was late in night. But as a customer, I expect that my car will be as clean as it was before the install.
Costs: Total of 4,700 for RCA/wiring + rear parcel tray + install charges. Satya told me every thing, including the wiring is top notch now (except my rear pioneers).

Overall I am really happy with the ICE setup now and look forward to more fine tuning sometime soon by Satya.

Already am hearing notes and sounds that I thought didn't exist in the songs I have been listening to for quite some time now.

Here go the pictures:

Looks stealth: right?
My Palio S10 JBL'ed...-img_0112.jpg

Here is another view.
My Palio S10 JBL'ed...-img_0113.jpg

The view of the amp, Sub and rear speakers. Lot, lot better now. You had to see the wiring/install mess it was earlier -- done by the smooth talking brothers at Sachin's AutoShop in Koramangala
My Palio S10 JBL'ed...-img_0119.jpg
My Palio S10 JBL'ed...-img_0123.jpg

The bluetooth phone function to make/receive calls. A cool and useful feature that will be used for sure in my ICE.
My Palio S10 JBL'ed...-img_0117.jpg

Not happy with this. Look closely at the mess made by the wood powder from drilling all over the boot/Sub. This should have been cleaned by by the guys at EVO.
My Palio S10 JBL'ed...-img_0121.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th August 2008 at 20:38.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:46   #33
Team-BHP Support

khan, you should try the setup with the sub firing towards the tail lights instead of upwards.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:51   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
khan, you should try the setup with the sub firing towards the tail lights instead of upwards.
. It was placed as mentioned by you by Satya. Today while cleaning the boot I happened to put it firing upwards. Then felt like keeping it firing upwards to see what difference it makes.

Will be keeping it firing at the tail lights soon.

BTW, what would the difference in these 2 placements?

Cheers,
Old 25th August 2008, 23:02   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
BTW, what would the difference in these 2 placements?
telling you would influence your opinion. Just listen and tell us instead! :-)

Most Viewed