Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 11:42   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
4. SUB: IDQ 10 or ID two 8 inch / Rainbow Hammer 10".
I heard the Hammer 12" sub in a ported enclosure and thought it sounded pretty good for the price - felt it had an edge over the IDQ v2 in speed & extension at a similar price. The IDQ v3 will most probably better the Hammer (haven't really heard the v3 for long enough to comment) but costs quite a bit more.

Disclaimer: above is purely my personal opinion based on my (limited) first-hand experience with the products in question
Old 19th June 2008, 13:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, here's what I plan to get;
1. JL audio CL441 dsp
Just one suggestion, get an amp with high level inputs and you wont need the above. Also if you're planning to use the stock tweeter locations, ensure your tweeters are small format so they fit there.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Come on guys helps me out in decide and what are your inputs on the system I mentioned above. Whats your take ?
Your shortlisted equipment is rather intriguing, especially CDT. Where do you intend to procure them from?

Do not want to dissuade you, but wanted to know your thought process and whether you have auditioned these.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:35   #34
BANNED

I too have similar question like Deralte's. Your shortlisted equipment is a bit too confusing. I also don't think a Pioneer component will stand anyway near the others mentioned no matter what reviews you may find on the internet.

Virtual world can be misleading if not dealt and understood correctly. Why don't you try auditioning them or atleat get in touch with somebody who have auditioned them??
Old 19th June 2008, 20:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hey thx guys for those reply. Well, havnt heard any of those comps as none are available in bombay. Regarding CDT had heard to lower range in them when I had visited singapore. Sounded really nice. Now I know there are lot of factors which can make the sound good, but the midbass slam was really nice. Found the treable lil bit sharp for my taste but am sure it would be perfect with the higher models. I plan to call the comps from singapore.

Regarding JL DSP well i think it does more then just high level output. Overall I feel its a great product after reading various reviews on it think it should make a lot of difference also cost wise getting it for a good price of around 8k so thought might as well get one.

Wat say gurus?
Old 19th June 2008, 22:47   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. JL audio CL441 dsp
2. Rainbow ipaul 4.300 amp for front and subs.
3. Front Speakers : Hertz 165 / Rainbow SAX 265 / Diamond audio S600a / CDT Audio high defination HD-62.
4. SUB: IDQ 10 or ID two 8 inch / Rainbow Hammer 10".
5. Rear Speakers : Was think of fitting the OE front speaker to the rear

Also came across with this review on Pioner Premier TS-C270PRS components Beats even rainbow and Lotus Ref speakers with final points.

Inputs buy anyone here who has heard the speakers, sub, amp mentioned, will be really helpful.
Quote:
Over 2 days and looks like all the gurus out here ain't responding.
Well the components you have specified are not easily available in Mumbai, Bangalore or Delhi (the choices in smaller towns is even more limited). This is one reaason no one could honestly reply to your query.

Quote:
Well, havnt heard any of those comps as none are available in bombay.

Regarding JL DSP well i think it does more then just high level output. Overall I feel its a great product after reading various reviews
Dont read reviews. In my expereince I have not found all of them to be accurate or the taste of the review often runs contrary to mine. Listen. If you intend to get components that are not widely distributed make sure you have alternate means of getting them fixed should something go wrong.
Old 20th June 2008, 01:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding JL DSP well i think it does more then just high level output. Overall I feel its a great product after reading various reviews on it think it should make a lot of difference also cost wise getting it for a good price of around 8k so thought might as well get one.

Wat say gurus?
Totally correct. The JL Audio device will do more than just allowing for hi-level inputs, like you have correctly understood.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
cost wise getting it for a good price of around 8k so thought might as well get one.
at that price its a no-brainer. Get it.
Old 23rd June 2008, 21:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Help! need to zero down

I am zeroing down between Morel Dotech Ovation 6 and DLS Ultimate Up6 components. Like to know which one do you guys think would be better suited?
ALso, as of now going with alpine V power amps, would upgrade them latter in the future.
As for sub going with IDQ 10inch.

Want to know if Morel or DLS are good in what they say?

Thanks.
Old 24th June 2008, 00:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

I had the DLS Iriduim 6.3 in my car. But now upgraded. I found the DLS a little forward. Never heard a morel
Old 24th June 2008, 01:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Like to know what setup are you running currently LBM? Which comps are you running now and any specific reason for changing them.
Old 24th June 2008, 11:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like to know what setup are you running currently LBM? Which comps are you running now and any specific reason for changing them.
My setup consists of Steg, Ground Zero, Illusion. The brands in which I deal so it is better that I don't discuss it here.

About the front I have a Illusion Carbon 6.5 inch. Along with the Illusion CH-1 Horns.

I changed them as I found Carbon series more laid back and better SQ when compared to DLS.
Old 24th June 2008, 14:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
... I found the DLS a little forward. Never heard a morel
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
... I found Carbon series more laid back ...
Sounds like the difference between Mumbai and Goa, but that is for people, not speakers!

O Bhai LBM badshao, there must be a more concrete way of describing this forward-backward business. Most of us are art-challenged and not kalakars (artists), so this is VERY difficult to visualize. Zara khulasa kijiyega, janaab?
Old 24th June 2008, 15:15   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
there must be a more concrete way of describing this forward-backward business.
In general speakers that sound forward tend to have a more pronounced upper midrange (2-6K region). if one were looking at objective analysis of subjective terms one will find that the terms woolly, dulll, bright, dead, aggressive/hot, etc. can be partly determined using measurements (mostly frequency response, phase, and impulse data). Still there is a bit of the black arts that is invovlved in voicing a speaker.

Many moons ago (about 13 years ago) I was voicing my speaker. I used my sister as my listener. By adjusting the degree of baffle step compensation one could adjust the relative level of midrange v/s midbass and I adjusted this by only 0.5db (as per a computer simulation done in LspCad Pro). My sister did not know about this and she could still tell that I had "pushed the midrange out a bit". The ear is alarming sensitive in the region between 200hz and 6khz. It (the ear) can ascertain phase and impulse cues without even us knowing.

I often descibe a scene I was witness to when my son was a few months old.

We had gone to a party and there were about 6 or 7 babies about 3-8 months old at this party. The host (who also had one baby) had selected a bedroom where all the babies could sleep (mattresses were laid in the floor). The room door was closed and a baby monitor was activated. Halfway through the party one of the babies uttered a cry. Only the mother whose baby it was noticed the cry. The rest of the mothers continued with their conversations like nothing had happened. Apparently the human ear is so well developed that each mother knew every aspect of her baby's cry the rise, fall, length, frequency, etc...I beleive that given the present state of the art we still are not fully able to quantify or qualify how the humar ear-brain functions.

I am sorry for not offering any concrete answers but that is the way it is. There are no concrete answers just vague generalizations. Lets take 3 good 6.5-8" woofers (a) Dynaudio 17W75XL (b) ScanSpeak 18W8546 (c) Focal 8K516J if you study their data you will notice differences. Now when you listen to them you will hear so much more than the data could tell you. The paper differences will seem minor when compared the difference in their sound. Why the 18W8545 and 8546 sound different enough for designers to prefer one over the other and these 2 drivers share the same magnet, coil, basket, spider, suspension, everything but the material their cones are made from.
Old 24th June 2008, 16:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sure, Navin, but the objective here is different. We need to demystify the concepts, so that common people can understand. Otherwise, one cannot differentiate between dealer-talk and user-community-talk.

It is not about the measurements and objectivity, but about having examples one can relate to. How can one relate to "dead", when the common interpretation is that of "no sound"! Aggressive (louder, sharper, faster), wooly (ill defined, amorphous), etc. is halfway there (not an inappropriate metaphor) but hot? Should one understand "laid back" as "does not want to do it's job, kal kiya to bhi chalega"?

This way, the void between congoscenti and incognoscenti (those who know and those who don't) is perpetually increasing - and IMHO to the detriment of the industry / community. On one hand there is exotic language trying to convey a lot, and on the other hand there cannot be any comprehension due to dubious interpretation - the whole purpose of communication is lost. The desire for differentiation is shutting the rest of the community out. No wonder most people like to stay away from the subject altogether and go buy Sony or Pio or whatever the rage is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks