Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 22:10   #1
BHPian

Help required in choosing good set of speakers from US

Hi Guys,

I am in a sort of a dilema. The thing is that I am planning to get some good set of speakers from the US for my GetzD (yet to take delivery). Last when I had been to few of the car accessory shops there, I found that there was quite a marked difference in the quality of sound in terms of bass and clarity even at low volumes. I saw very many brands like Boss, Visonik, Caron etc apart from the usual pioneer and sony stuff.

My requirement is that I would like to have set of good speakers / components for the front doors and coaxial for the rear doors or on the parcel shelf. As of now I do not plan to install a sub and amplifier. But at the same time want the system to have a decent pep.

Can anyone help. I need to decide in a day or two..
Old 4th June 2008, 23:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

When in the US I prefer to use Crutchfield. They are pricier than most but they have knowledgeable and helpfull staff.

Stick to the better known brands like Infinity, Polk Momo, Boston, etc.. and avoid Boss and Visonik, etc..
Old 5th June 2008, 07:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

sorry.. Posted twice

Last edited by iceman91 : 5th June 2008 at 07:10.
Old 5th June 2008, 07:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

first work out how much you are willing to spend. The better brands will be a bit expensive. Also to get the best out of components you need a good amplifier else you will not get the quality of sound you are after
Old 5th June 2008, 10:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

So what's the budget in US$ including shipping ??

Offtopic: Crutchfield is a very reputed site, but they have customer service issues too, too much sales volumes and less staff can create problems. Our own forum member Akbaree bought a Eclipse CD7100 at a premium from Crutchfield, the player failed in a month and Crutchfield posed a blind eye to all communication and sent generic replies. Even phone calls did not help. It was a nightmare after paying over $500 for a player. We got the problem recitified locally, very very few technicians in India know how to work on eclipse, and we happen to know someone who can.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:24   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Offtopic: Crutchfield is a very reputed site, but they have customer service issues too.
Does J&R (NYC) do online sales? Drew (CEO of J&R when I knew them) is big on Customer Service.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:37   #7
nitin.dangayach

This is what I am planning to get. (I have a similar requirement)

Infinity Reference 9623i
Infinity Reference 9623i 6"x9" 3-way Speakers Car Speakers USD 90 free shipping
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 9623i 6"x9" 3-way car speakers: Electronics
Infinity Reference 9623i 6"x9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Infinity Reference 4022i 4"
Infinity Reference 4022i 2-way 4" speakers (pair) Car Speakers USD 58 free shipping

Last edited by DerAlte : 5th June 2008 at 21:52. Reason: Removed COLOR tags

Old 5th June 2008, 15:39   #8
nitin.dangayach

I plan to hook in these speakers with JVC KD-BT1.

Any idea about the availability and pricing here in INDIA ?

Old 5th June 2008, 16:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
This is what I am planning to get. (I have a similar requirement)
Infinity Reference 9623i
Infinity Reference 4022i 4"
a 6x9 will produce a lot more bass than a 4" and you might find that you hear the rear speakers more than the front.

Infinity is represented in India by Sahil Intl.

Last edited by navin : 5th June 2008 at 16:55.
Old 5th June 2008, 17:01   #10
BHPian

if you are buying from hookedontronics, do call them or use their online chat to make sure they have the products in stock and whether they will ship immediately. also you need to have a us credit card, where the shipping and billing address should be the same, if not you need to call the credit card company to add an alternative shipping address.
Old 5th June 2008, 17:14   #11
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
if you are buying from hookedontronics, do call them or use their online chat to make sure they have the products in stock and whether they will ship immediately. also you need to have a us credit card, where the shipping and billing address should be the same, if not you need to call the credit card company to add an alternative shipping address.
Thanks for the input.

The link I posted are the ones I searched with the minimum price for the things I was looking for.

BTW I do not have a US CC, neither can I pay them in cash. I was thinking of using my ICICI bank or HSBC CC. Do I have to add an alternative US address by calling the ICICI or HSBC guys ?

Will this suffice? or do you suggest some other alternative.

Old 5th June 2008, 17:16   #12
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
a 6x9 will produce a lot more bass than a 4" and you might find that you hear the rear speakers more than the front.

Infinity is represented in India by Sahil Intl.
But that can be altered by the fader controls. I dont think that would be of any problem.

I do not want to cut the doors of my car and the dash allows only 4" speakers. Can't help it.

Old 5th June 2008, 20:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
Thanks for the input.

The link I posted are the ones I searched with the minimum price for the things I was looking for.

BTW I do not have a US CC, neither can I pay them in cash. I was thinking of using my ICICI bank or HSBC CC. Do I have to add an alternative US address by calling the ICICI or HSBC guys ?

Will this suffice? or do you suggest some other alternative.
i dont think they will accept international credit cards. are you shipping it to us or india. do read their faq regarding this

HookedOnTronics Info & Support - Consumer Electronics @ Top Discounts

its better you chat with them online and clear all your doubts.

if you are shipping it to India, its not worth buying through online sites in US

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 5th June 2008 at 20:58.
Old 5th June 2008, 21:12   #14
nitin.dangayach

No buddy, I'll be getting them in the US. All i want to do is pay them using India Credit Card.

Old 5th June 2008, 21:16   #15
nitin.dangayach

I thnk I can use google checkout instead. I just dropped them an email. The chat guys are offline, i suppose.

Most Viewed