Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 23:12   #16
BHPian

As Bahgwan said, Swift is a beautiful car to ICE. Trade in your 6x9s an 5-1/4s (This is not a correct size for swift as swift takes 6.5" drivers at stock locations) and get a pair of 6.5" comps at front doors and 6.5" co-axs at rear door stock locations. No need of an amp if your listening volumes levels are low to moderate, so is damping. For 15K, you could get a USB HU (5-6K)+ decent comps (5-6K) + co-axs (2-3K). No offense, but I will say the installer didn't do justice to your car and money.

PS: Stock location of swift at front doors are for 6.5" round speakers. So fitting 6x9 needs lot of modification or cutting door pad. While swift easily takes the best size comps (6.5") at front, it is never recommended.
Old 30th June 2008, 23:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHAGWAN View Post
Sir,

May I ask, why did you install 6 X 9's ?
There is a lovely place provided to you in the front & rear door for your round co-axil or component speakers. That is what you should have considered.

Thanks,
bhagwan ji
the reason why many use 6*9 ovals at the back is maybe because
1.they go with the flow(i.e their installer!)
2. they dont want to use any amp and so there will be no sub hence they need to get the low frequencis or "thump"(as some put it) out from somewhere-thats where they believe 6*9's do a good job rather than 6inch round coaxials or even components to some extent
3. though they are goin to use components upfront and have a budget and liking for an amplifier they do not want to sacrifice ANY dicky space to a sub box. ( though i know that permanent or non movable/upward openable parcel trays practically cuts your dicky space in half too ).in this case too one feels that a 6*9 can best mimic a sub in its absence rather than any coaxail or component. in this case the output of 6*9's are tuned only to get the lower frequenceis out of them
(i myself fell into the 3rd category till late!)

Your inputs and critism to the above would be most helpful.
Old 30th June 2008, 23:28   #18
BHPian

To each his own !!

I just do not like my music from the back.

God gave me ears & they face the front [well almost] & hence I like my sound to play from the front. From the wind screen towards me.

I cannot even handle / tolerate any bass [with or without sub] coming from the back. Everything has to in front of me. The entire music ensemble has to be performing in front of my eyes.

I like 'redfire's suggestion. Work on it !!
Old 30th June 2008, 23:41   #19
BHPian

'B' what is the trick for a front soundstage, i want to hear music in my car as if its playing on the dash AND still have sufficient bass too. (subwoofer is present)

Last edited by arpandiv : 30th June 2008 at 23:43.
Old 1st July 2008, 00:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
...in this case too one feels that a 6*9 can best mimic a sub in its absence rather than any coaxail or component. in this case the output of 6*9's are tuned only to get the lower frequenceis out of them
Interesting! Is this the reason the installers set the HU setting for rear speakers in sub-woofer mode - is this to fool the HU to think the rear co-axials are a sub-woofer?
Old 1st July 2008, 00:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Interesting! Is this the reason the installers set the HU setting for rear speakers in sub-woofer mode - is this to fool the HU to think the rear co-axials are a sub-woofer?
^^How would this help??
Old 1st July 2008, 00:44   #22
BHPian

Bhagwanji Just Installed In my brother's swift A pair of Polk components 6.5 inch(6501) in the front and a pair of 6 x 9 on a parcel tray in the back not thinking bout getting any sub done ,but the definitely getting a 4 channel amp(JBL or Polk or blaupunkt) but the rattling has started coming up even without the amp it's mostly due to the low frequency from the front components , what do u think i can do about it.
Old 1st July 2008, 00:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
^^How would this help??
Well, that was the question. I noticed when I got my front comps and rear ovals installed recently, the installer set up the HU rear out as sub woofer than full speakers. He also set the high pass filter on. Seeing the above on the topic, I am guessing he was trying to get more of bass from the rear to supplement the front full range from comps.
What do you think?
Old 1st July 2008, 08:04   #24
BHPian

Come - Listen - you will learn & experiance.............

Sir,

Come & listen.

You shall experiance & learn.

I sure can share the set up details with you.

Lots of rain today - so I shall not be in the office.

I am at home - drop by if you want to listen to - front sound stage - we can try and get your car to do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
'B' what is the trick for a front soundstage, i want to hear music in my car as if its playing on the dash AND still have sufficient bass too. (subwoofer is present)
The bass does not have to be 'sufficient' it should be gut crunching.....
Old 1st July 2008, 09:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

I did not mean to offend any person or product.

PTC is 'known to me rather well' !!
I do not want to run down Kicker.
It is a 'good product'

My contention was not against any person or installer.
But, I just wanted to know why 6 X 9's were chosen ? That is all.

The Swift has a great OE location - in the doors. Just put components in the front & co-axils in the back & you will be set.

There is no need for damping or what ever else. All that is only needed if one wants to go up the ladder.

If, I 'offended' anyone - my apology.
Bhagwanji...criticism can never be offensive. Its just the way its put across. Well don't feel bad about your setup. Its perfectly fine (not to disclose,but i have had the same experience )
So just chill enjoy your setup but if you want some improvements as mentioned by all the gurus, go to your installer ASAP, return the front coaxials as soon as possible and buy a good pair for compos , if the guy deals in PTC then check out with MTX (this is what i have) or DLS or focal or you can even try kicker.Play around with the fader and u'll have a decent setup.

@ Bhagwanji and other gurus: If there some way in which i can have a setup where i dont feel that the bass is coming from the boot?? I have auditioned few decent setups (compos+ sub) but i just can't come over the feel that the bass is coming from the rear. I am sorry for being lil off topic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Bhagwanji Just Installed In my brother's swift A pair of Polk components 6.5 inch(6501) in the front and a pair of 6 x 9 on a parcel tray in the back not thinking bout getting any sub done ,but the definitely getting a 4 channel amp(JBL or Polk or blaupunkt) but the rattling has started coming up even without the amp it's mostly due to the low frequency from the front components , what do u think i can do about it.
Only one thing 'Dampening'.
All the best...
BTW, yesterday i auditioned a system in a swift and to my utter surprise there was no rattling in the car although it had gud compos in the front and a sub in the boot. It was a new car..looks as if maruti is improving the quality!!

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (gud = good, dat = that, etc), and please see how to use the MULTIQUOTE button in the Team-BHP FAQ (you'll find a link on the top bar).

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2008 at 09:17. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
If you can, go back to your dealer - installer & request him to take this back & sell 6" components from Kicker to you. That you install in your front door & get started & later - if budget permits - buy an amplifier.

All the best !!
I dont think i'm that interested in an amp right now. I was looking for a simpler set up which sounds good. I wouldnt call myself an audiophile, but like the thump sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
As Bahgwan said, Swift is a beautiful car to ICE. Trade in your 6x9s an 5-1/4s (This is not a correct size for swift as swift takes 6.5" drivers at stock locations) and get a pair of 6.5" comps at front doors and 6.5" co-axs at rear door stock locations. No need of an amp if your listening volumes levels are low to moderate, so is damping. For 15K, you could get a USB HU (5-6K)+ decent comps (5-6K) + co-axs (2-3K). No offense, but I will say the installer didn't do justice to your car and money.

PS: Stock location of swift at front doors are for 6.5" round speakers. So fitting 6x9 needs lot of modification or cutting door pad. While swift easily takes the best size comps (6.5") at front, it is never recommended.
Are you sure that the front door OE is 6.5" rounds? The installer tried these but the size wasnt right so he put in 5.25".

Quote:
bhagwan ji
the reason why many use 6*9 ovals at the back is maybe because
1.they go with the flow(i.e their installer!)
2. they dont want to use any amp and so there will be no sub hence they need to get the low frequencis or "thump"(as some put it) out from somewhere-thats where they believe 6*9's do a good job rather than 6inch round coaxials or even components to some extent
3. though they are goin to use components upfront and have a budget and liking for an amplifier they do not want to sacrifice ANY dicky space to a sub box. ( though i know that permanent or non movable/upward openable parcel trays practically cuts your dicky space in half too ).in this case too one feels that a 6*9 can best mimic a sub in its absence rather than any coaxail or component. in this case the output of 6*9's are tuned only to get the lower frequenceis out of them
(i myself fell into the 3rd category till late!)

Your inputs and critism to the above would be most helpful.
I believe that i fall into category 3 too. I feel the swift's boot isnt the most spacious one in its class. Dont want to waste any of it. Atleast for now, maybe after a while i might think differently and put in a sub and an am, but for now its definetly not on the cards.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Well, that was the question. I noticed when I got my front comps and rear ovals installed recently, the installer set up the HU rear out as sub woofer than full speakers. He also set the high pass filter on. Seeing the above on the topic, I am guessing he was trying to get more of bass from the rear to supplement the front full range from comps.
What do you think?
setting the rear ovals in sub woofer mode .. hmm maybe so that when the HPF is activated on the HU it doesnt affect the output of the rears.
the rears are running in sub mode so they are producing only low frequencies and hence i think sub settings may be applicable to them through the HU. good way to mimic a sub.
However the above may be wrong, gurus may confirm

Bhagwan Ji
its all flooded here! if your offer to visit you to tune a car extends to me too i would like to take you up on it if youre free.
i will call you
Old 1st July 2008, 10:08   #28
BHPian

As I mentioned earlier;

First experiance it. That way you will know what I am talking about.
Next step will follow only if you like it - please be ware that we are so 'conditioned' to bass from the back that a 'time aligned' allival of the full spectrum of the music is difficult to accept.

Therefore, I suggest - listen & only if you like, will we work towards it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post

Quote:
Bhagwan Ji
its all flooded here! if your offer to visit you to tune a car extends to me too i would like to take you up on it if youre free.
i will call you
I am not going to office today.

I will be chillin - actually have been listening to music from 7.30.
Enjoying the weather.

You ma call me & drop by - listen...

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st July 2008 at 12:16.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I am not going to office today.

I will be chillin - actually have been listening to music from 7.30.
Enjoying the weather.

You ma call me & drop by - listen...
Bhagwan Ji, by any means if you ever plan to drive down to delhi ,please let me know.
We should also know what we are missing!!!
Old 1st July 2008, 10:53   #30
BHPian

I do take a lot of road trips -
Have been to Leh & Spiti & Lahoul 2 times. All by car. So going through ND is sure - but I do not use these cars. They would not survive. I just MUV's / SUV's for this.

It may be easier for you to call on me if by chance you happen to be in Mumbai. It shall be nice to meet you. Thanks & you are most welcome for an audition..... I am serious;;

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks