Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 13:20   #1
BHPian

JBL 607C or JBL 660C?

I have somewhat decided on JBL Speakers.

The options are as follows:

JBL 607C Components

6.5" 2-way components
Power Handling RMS- 70 Watts
Price:Rs 5500

JBL Power Series P660C

6.5" 2-way components
Power Handling RMS- 90 Watts
Price:Rs 12,500

Now there are few points I like to add:-
A member suggested not to go for Power series as paying 10K+ for component speakers would not be worth it at the moment.I have a new Estilo.Considering its acoustics,he says there would be need for helluva lot of damping for fitting Power series.And even then it would be way too loud.
He said to go for 607Cs,they would be quite a pair in themselves.He has 607s in his car.
Another friend said Power series is real 'kick***'.
I would love to go for something thats boomy,loud,kick*** whatever you name it.But paying double than 607s,my question is,is it fully worth it ?
I would not like too much jarring and shaking in the inside of my car.
Would in the Power series price bracket, (I have been quoted the MRP herein Kolkata) and Rs10,500 if I get them from down south ( both with B and W) I get an ever better SPL speaker?

Secondly,another thing which I would like to ask the Gurus here is:
Is an amp absolutely must from Day 1 for components or I can wait for a few months for my second upgrade of ICE? My plan is to buy a Pioneer HU and either of the above components and get them fitted for now and maybe add an Active JBL Bass Tube at the rear (this item am getting from a friend for Rs 5000/-). Later say in late Sept-October I add a 4-channel amp (the JBL 1004) and rear coaxials.Would that be possible or for components amps are a must?

I would appreciate everybody's valued opinion.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post

Is an amp absolutely must from Day 1 for components or I can wait for a few months for my second upgrade of ICE? My plan is to buy a Pioneer HU and either of the above components and get them fitted for now and maybe add an Active JBL Bass Tube at the rear (this item am getting from a friend for Rs 5000/-). Later say in late Sept-October I add a 4-channel amp (the JBL 1004) and rear coaxials.Would that be possible or for components amps are a must?
Congratulations on the decisions taken. We'll see if they survive the Friday meet .

Since you are anyway planning for an amp in a couple of months, you can go ahead with just the comps now. They will play. You'll get to hear music while driving - which is your primary requirement now. 2 months later, they'll rock, with an amp. Do it phase-wise. No problem.

If budget permits, get the rear coaxes during stage 1 too. Leave the amp for later.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Congratulations on the decisions taken. We'll see if they survive the Friday meet .
Thanks a ton shuvc. I am worried about friday too !

Quote:
Since you are anyway planning for an amp in a couple of months, you can go ahead with just the comps now. They will play. You'll get to hear music while driving - which is your primary requirement now. 2 months later, they'll rock, with an amp. Do it phase-wise. No problem.
Exactly,thats what I want to do.You have been most helpful in guiding me to formulate a plan and do it step-wise.Am indebted shuvc.

Quote:
If budget permits, get the rear coaxes during stage 1 too. Leave the amp for later.
I have to calculate nth time!! Because I need Llumars for my windows too as I dont want anybody to clearly see what i have.Atleast unwanted people.And also a good one from Autocop for the same reason at the same sitting.Which rear coaxes do you suggest?
Thanks

Any other Gurus help?Anybody?
Old 15th July 2008, 22:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Are you fixed on getting a JBL Comp?? If not at this price range you have a lot of other choices too. But a speaker choice is a very personal one, Audition whatever you can and choose what u like, and dont follow any word of mouth advice on this.

Dont go for an active bass tube, Bass tubes are very boomy, but again some like their sound while most prefer subs, i prefer a sub. Again listen to one before u buy. If u are looking for SPL, then a good sub in a ported box running off a good amp would suffice.

Its ok if u power the comps off the HU initially, and when u have the budget, get a good amp for it.
Old 15th July 2008, 23:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to calculate nth time!! Because I need Llumars for my windows too ..
Get Garware film. Should suffice. The difference in costs could fund a significant portion of the rears.
Old 16th July 2008, 00:13   #6
BHPian

Fix your budget first. You have got some good advise already and more will follow from gurus. For your comps query, hope this will help for the time being.
If you need a beautiful SQ, it is better to power the comps with an amp, which is already in pipeline. Also, for a good SQ and cleaner environment, that too with a 6.5" comps, you will be needing damping and nice install with good quality wires and kits. If you go for noisekill (150 /sq ft), you need atleast 20sq ft for front doors itself. Now calculate comps+amp+damping+nice install+cables. Move with suitable comps that fits in this total budget. I am sure either way (607 or 660) you will never be wrong.

Last edited by redfire : 16th July 2008 at 00:14.
Old 16th July 2008, 04:39   #7
BHPian

My 50 cents

Quote:
I have to calculate nth time!! Because I need Llumars for my windows too as I dont want anybody to clearly see what i have.Atleast unwanted people.And also a good one from Autocop for the same reason at the same sitting.Which rear coaxes do you suggest?
Thanks

Any other Gurus help?Anybody?
The power series components would be an overkill for the Estillo. The 607C components should be good enough, since you are planning to fit a JBL Bass Tube also. The Bass tube woud satiate your need for "Boom-Boom" bass.You can safely go for JBL GTO937 for the rear coax speakers, if budget permits. Real good ones and VFM. Add the Pioneer HU and you have a fantastic systemcheers:.

As for the Amp, there's no problem at all if you take your time to add it. That JBL GTO1004 is a fantastic amp, excellent choice I must say. I have one of those in my car.Its a "Hosh uda dey, Neend Chura Ley" type amp.

I would also suggest you to consider damping the front doors in the stage 2. That will improve the performance of the components and reduce the noise.

As for the sunfilm, do consider ones again as night driving becomes a bit difficult with those films specially during the humid days when you have a layer of moisture on the front windows. If thats not an issue Garware film would suffice.
As for the Security system, if you are interested in taking Xenos or Autocop I know a few dealers in Salt Lake, who will give you a good deal.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:

The options are as follows:

JBL 607C Components

6.5" 2-way components
Power Handling RMS- 70 Watts
Price:Rs 5500

JBL Power Series P660C

6.5" 2-way components
Power Handling RMS- 90 Watts
Price:Rs 12,500

Now there are few points I like to add:-
A member suggested not to go for Power series as paying 10K+ for component speakers would not be worth it at the moment.I have a new Estilo.Considering its acoustics,he says there would be need for helluva lot of damping for fitting Power series.And even then it would be way too loud.
He said to go for 607Cs,they would be quite a pair in themselves.He has 607s in his car.
Another friend said Power series is real 'kick***'.
I would love to go for something thats boomy,loud,kick*** whatever you name it.But paying double than 607s,my question is,is it fully worth it ?
I would not like too much jarring and shaking in the inside of my car.
Would in the Power series price bracket, (I have been quoted the MRP herein Kolkata) and Rs10,500 if I get them from down south ( both with B and W) I get an ever better SPL speaker?

I would appreciate everybody's valued opinion.
I would suggest you to do your system up in 3 stages since you are on a budget.

Step-1
1. Get a Good HU with 3 pairs of Preouts.
2. Get the JBL Power Series Comp upfront.
3. Get matching JBL Power Series Coax for rear..
Run them through the HU for now.

Step-2
1. Get the JBL GTO 1004 amp amd power the front and rear speakers through it.

Step-3
1. Add a JBL Monoblock from the GTO series and add a 12" sub in a ported box.

IMO, don't get the active tube coz as a part of the first step coz in that way the tube will drown the front comps (run by the HU) and the musical experience would be all bass. A Mono + sub in a ported box will give you better results is what i feel.

Lastly, don't forget some good quality wiring for this equipment. Ground Zero, Scosche or Connection Audison (if you can afford it).

Cheers
Old 16th July 2008, 13:45   #9
BHPian

I am not a guru, but yesterday I got installed Pioneer P80 HU in my swift along with year old GTO 607c (front) and GTO 626e (rear). And both being driven by HU (no amp till now) and I could hear that my swift (with hardly 25% volume on HU) was rattling like snake......So it is very important that if you are going with this kind of setup you will need a good damping....front, rear and hatch doors. With out which you won't be able to enjoy your music......Yes may be the power series will be an overkill for estillo until you are an audiophile :-)
Old 16th July 2008, 16:43   #10
BHPian

A larger dia speaker may be an overkill in a small car, but a different grade/quality speakers are definitely not if the owner is willing to pay and need max SQ he can get. IMO, fix the max budget first considering all the factors (HU, comps, co-ax, amps, nice install, damping, wires and accessories) and get the best equipments you can get. In all reputed brands, budget series are still good but higher series would better in terms of SQ.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:16   #11
BHPian

Redfire I agree with you. Even if you consider the GTO1004 then 607c are not matching. You have to run the GTO1004 at much lower gain levels if you don't want to kill your 607c. Then GTO504 should be sufficient. It is only the budget which you should decide on otherwise you will end up paying more and not utilizing the full power of your equipment. IMHO the GTO series is much above in JBL's range when compared to CS series and GT-5 series.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Get Garware film. Should suffice. The difference in costs could fund a significant portion of the rears.
Thanks shuvc, thats a nice idea. I would really need the dough though as Xeta already has made me thinking about Alpine HUs !
Old 16th July 2008, 22:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you're getting JBL speakers, I recommend you stick to a pio HU+amp. the power series seem like ( maybe from the name) SPL stuff to me. If you want SQ stuff , there are other options , like the infinitys.
my recommend - get GTO937's for the rear , and the best components for the front you can afford, + maybe a lesser amp

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th July 2008 at 22:28.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:35   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

No the power series are not SPL. They are SQL.

The 1004 is a good amplifier and a worthy successor of the 75.4. No it will not kill the 607C if the gain is right and the LPF is used.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why not the Blaupunkt HU? I heard it is equally good as compared to Pioneer.
I may be wrong though. Any insights on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks