Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 10:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yes, I am getting the Access Denied message (Mumbai Airtel Broadband)
Seems like Airtel has blocked the site.
Old 12th August 2008, 11:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

I can access .

Why not try a proxy ?

also, how exactly do these rubber cups screw up the sound ? I was looking for something similar made of foam for installing on my indica. Couldnt find out , so had to improvise with double sided tape...

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th August 2008 at 11:20.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

gurus lets get back to the topic, i am not getting these rubber ones, i am eying the plastic cups available locally, and i really really want to know what will be the side effects of using these, thanks a ton in advance.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Plastic cups 6" dia? Difficult to imagine.

Not having read the reviews, it is difficult to relate to the points of view one way or the other. But, for sure, many of the brickbats to these cups would not have a scientific basis, only irrational 'feel'. In the non-ideal listening environment of the car, most such logic would make much less sense than protecting your investment from water.

Go ahead, @rider. If you don't want to import them, you could fabricate an acceptable substitute out of closed-cell foam sheet and stick it behind the speaker.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Pretty innovative title.

All I can say is, when ice mixes with water, add a big helping of vodka.
Old 12th August 2008, 18:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Those are not scales, that is just the residue when the condensate evaporated once again. Yes, the chemicals come in with the atmospheric water vapor.

As the others suggested, do get the door and window seals checked. This amount of condensation can only come if the cabin was way below ambient and there is possibility of vapor ingress, either via doors/windows or via AC air intake (if the flap is on fresh air).

Most likely there is a gap at the top of the front windows / doors, possibly by misalignment. Was the condensation uniform within the car or only on the front doors?

PS: Yup, those cups should help protect the speakers.
Hi Rider,

I don't agree with Deralte on the first points as you know that the ambient temperature during this rainly season is very close to 22-23 degress and in such temperatures I don't expect that kind of condensation until you have driven under high humidity conditions.

I agree with other as indicated that their could be mis alignment in the windows. This happened to me when I saw the water was getting through the gap between window and the beeding. I saw that my glass has little mis aligned with the door. I think only the beeding can be adjusted.

In my case the suffer was tweeter which was placed exactly in the flow direction. Anyhow I upgraded to GTO 608c yesterday, so no casualties as such.

Just check, may be the automatic roll up of windows may not be closing the window upto the mark(inside the beeding).

All the best.
Old 12th August 2008, 22:59   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Beware. I looked at them before installing my speakers, and noticed that Crutchfield has really negative user reviews for those rubber cups. Apparently they really screw up the sound.
+

They do limit the low bass but if you have a sub this is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
OT: Seems like Crutchfield has blocked traffic from India. Is anyone being able to get through to their site?
I can see their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Go ahead, @rider. If you don't want to import them, you could fabricate an acceptable substitute out of closed-cell foam sheet and stick it behind the speaker.
XTC seems to last longer than the foam I have tried. but foam is cheap and easily available so you can change it every couple of years or so.
Old 15th August 2008, 20:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

hey here are the updates i think i found out where the water is seeping in from!

here are the pics that will explain that part! now do i really have to change all of the door rubber beading on all 4 door to prevent the door pad scales in the future or is there something that can really be done and HOW MANY have faced this? its not the power windows mis-aligning the door window glasses for sure! please let the ideas flow generously!

and i last time i was at EVO satya's shop i had bought a couple of cups from him, i found them yesterday i will soon post the pics after i clean them and will tell you how i intend to install them.

also i was pleasantly SURPRISED to find this and i was like for a second!!!
maruthi the kanjoos makhi choose guys give this as a standard thing on even a ldi, i mean its not much but i am totally sure if they dint provide this the doors would be even horrible with ICE! yes my friends its the OEM DAMPING SHEET PAD! AND the CREAM on the WIP is they have a expiry date HOWs that? is that expiry date for the adhesive of these pads or something?

now i want leads and info on the same is this available at the maruthi spares and at what price?
Attached Thumbnails
When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01632.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01633.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01634.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01635.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01636.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01637.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01638.jpg  

Last edited by rider60 : 15th August 2008 at 20:42.
Old 15th August 2008, 22:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

dint explain this properly earlier, the water piping test revealed that the water was seeping in through the rubber beading into the car this ruined my door pads for sure.

now the water is also going into the car through the outer window beading and badly too this was the reason for the ICE water mix up and this messed up my speaker, i think this mis alignment car be dealt with.

but how do i deal with the water seeping in through the door beadings? it was the same thing i meant but did not pen down clearly, the reason for speaker drench was the outer glass beading but the inner door pads were drenched because of the door beading problem.

guys please help me out with this, can the MASS help here?
Old 16th August 2008, 00:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

MASS SHOULD help set it right, since the beading misalignment is letting water in. But how come you didn't face this problem when you were driving it in heavy rains? The same should have happened then too.
Old 16th August 2008, 02:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

this car currently runs on stock tyres so i dont dare take it out on highways a strict city car and in city you know we rather stay home than get stuck in traffic hence i never faced this, and by the way the car is 8months old with 4300kms on the odo so i think you get the picture deralte, my viva is my highway car.

i need to wait a few more months before the vitamin M is recharged for the shoe upgrade!

EDIT:forgot to add i dont have a closed garage so i park it in the open front yard, and the recent heavy pour of rain has revealed, hhmmm rather ruined things for me

deralte which beading are you talking about? if its the window's beading then i can do that at home while refixing the glass, but the door beading is really the one bothering me a lot i dont think i really fix it up or get it fixed.

would getting new beading from maruthi help? i seriously doubt that part as it can go back to the state of the current beading and quite frankly i dont expect the spares to be available off the shelf even now for the swift. its too annoying.

can someone please find me a solution for all this? please please?

Last edited by rider60 : 16th August 2008 at 02:15.
Old 16th August 2008, 12:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

The windows always get some water inside the door, I don't think 100% seal is possible there. Anyway, rolling the windows up and down when they are wet will cause some wate to go into the door. I believe there is a drain hole inside the door, at the bottom.

If your door beading is leaking, just complain to your Maruti A.S.S. Usually realigning the door should solve the problem, if not get the beadings replaced under warrantly. Write to Maruti if the A.S.S refuses to play ball.

Regarding what you called the scale issue, I have a feeling your aftermarket fitments have some role to play in it, not so sure though.

Last edited by kuttapan : 16th August 2008 at 12:24.
Old 16th August 2008, 12:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
this car currently runs on stock tyres so i dont dare take it out on highways a strict city car and in city you know we rather stay home than get stuck in traffic ...
which beading are you talking about? if its the window's beading then i can do that at home while refixing the glass, but the door beading is really the one bothering me a lot i dont think i really fix it up or get it fixed.

would getting new beading from maruthi help? i seriously doubt that part as it can go back to the state of the current beading and quite frankly i dont expect the spares to be available off the shelf even now for the swift. its too annoying.

can someone please find me a solution for all this? please please?
@rider60, you should really consider changing your handle to either @onlywatcheshiscar60 or @doesnotride'er60 or something like that! Sorry, couldn't resist that. Millions of Indians ride on the Indian highways on stock tyres, man. Are they doing something wrong, you think? Go out, don't give excuses to yourself. Ride responsibly, and the stock tyres will serve you well without putting your life in danger.

The beading which lines the lip of the door opening (hard, black or grey) is not touching the beading lining the inside edge of the door (soft, usually grey). The service guys usually take a rubber mallet and beat the lip / edge of the door opening into submission till it touches properly everywhere. The detection modus operandi is similar to your hose technique, except that they use high pressure.

No, one doesn't need to replace the beadings for the first 10 years at least.

Last edited by DerAlte : 16th August 2008 at 12:26.
Old 17th August 2008, 01:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

deralte i will explain the reason for me strictly avoiding the highway later you will seriously take a back seat to read it then i assure you that.

as for the problem at hand, repairing the beading like that will make it go back to normal in another 2-3 months time, thats really useless i dont want to remove the pads again and wash them all over again at all.

for the same i think i will do something like this,i will cut stripes of this rubber piece and stick them behind the rubber beadings 1-2 layers of this rubber depending on the requirement should not lead to any door misalignment problems. the rubber tube is like 1-1.5 mm thick so i guess no worries say what?
Attached Thumbnails
When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01665.jpg  

Old 17th August 2008, 16:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

No, no, @rider60, it does not go back like that. Unfortunately the car manufacturers don't do a water dunk test before delivering, so sealing problems are not detected before the customer takes delivery. Only a few cars have this problem, and is quickly corrected by the service guys. Once the thing is set, it will stay like that always.

Putting the rubber strip behind the beading will aggravate the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks