Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 09:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

When ICE mixes with water!!!

now take a good and keen look at these pics.

i have no clue as to how this happened, i opened the car today just to find these scales on the pads and then turned the ICE on for a minute, and there was strong smell, i suspected the ICE and water mix up and opened up the speakers to find this damn.

i had not used the car for 2 weeks it was parked and after these heavy rains the water some how seems to have seeped into the cabin, at only the front two door pads have these scales, the rear ones are just fine.

and notice the MDF rings drenched completely?

how in the world can some thing this wrong happen how are the two mdf rings drenched?

i dint find any water on the woofer cones surprisingly, only the magnet was drenched, and luckily even the spiders were dry i am really lucky that way.

i want a proper solution to prevent this from happening in future. but first i am totally clue less as to how the seeping took place in my swift guys please help i am in deep MIX OF ICE and WATER.!
Attached Thumbnails
When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01624.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01625.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01626.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01627.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01628.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01629.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01630.jpg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-dsc01631.jpg  

Last edited by rider60 : 11th August 2008 at 09:39.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

This looks like condensation, not leakage via window glass. Before parking, you must have driven with AC at high, and when you parked, moisture inside the door cavity condensed on the magnet and the door pad.

Couldn't figure out what you meant by "scales on the pads".

* Open the door pad and thoroughly dry everything with a hair dryer
* Check the seals, drainage holes (bottom of door)
* Replace the glass beading (the horizontal one at the bottom of the window)
* Use some closed-cell foam to protect the rear of the speakers
* Remove the spacers and dry them. Soak them in some synthetic varnish or linseed oil and dry them thoroughly
Old 11th August 2008, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

deralte look at the first and the second photos dont you see water scales formed on the door pads? i mean like water mixed in some substance has dripped down in these pads and has formed these white scales?

how in the world could that have formed? is that the condensation too?
Old 11th August 2008, 11:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

I see water lines below the door handle and power windows switch. Is there any chance that you did not close the front windows completely?
Old 11th August 2008, 11:32   #5
BHPian

This kind of situation has happened to me before. It has just two reasons:
1. The windows were not properly shut or the glass has misaligned with the upper inner beading in the door(as I can see that you have after market power windows) , causing the water to seep in . This is what had happened in my OHC vtec (the windows were open very very slightly & the heavy rains caused the water to seep in).

2. Do check if the rubber beading on the car body in the swift, where the door meets the roof , is not cut/ frayed or even blocked by dirt as this can also cause the water to seep in.

However I am glad that there was no damage to your ICE system. Also, are the power windows working normally?

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 11th August 2008 at 11:34.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I see water lines below the door handle and power windows switch. Is there any chance that you did not close the front windows completely?
no way is that possible my swift is LDi model i installed after market power windows from autocopx they have a relay module connected to my central locking, where in once i lock the car the windows roll up automatically.

i dint leave the windows open i did lock the car.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey where did u get that kind of a thing from and howmuch did it cost you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
no way is that possible my swift is LDi model i installed after market power windows from autocopx they have a relay module connected to my central locking, where in once i lock the car the windows roll up automatically.

i dint leave the windows open i did lock the car.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hey where did u get that kind of a thing from and howmuch did it cost you?
from autocopx central locking accessory supplier ofcourse, it cost me 11000. check with a good car decor shop, it should be easy to get one. the normal after market power windows is like 9500 its 1500 extra for this relay model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
This kind of situation has happened to me before. It has just two reasons:
1. The windows were not properly shut or the glass has misaligned with the upper inner beading in the door(as I can see that you have after market power windows) , causing the water to seep in . This is what had happened in my OHC vtec (the windows were open very very slightly & the heavy rains caused the water to seep in).

2. Do check if the rubber beading on the car body in the swift, where the door meets the roof , is not cut/ frayed or even blocked by dirt as this can also cause the water to seep in.

However I am glad that there was no damage to your ICE system. Also, are the power windows working normally?

now i strongly believe the reason 1 is true, it has to be the power windows misalignment. its definitely not the rubber beading that was the first thing i checked.

well if thats the problem how can i get the alignment perfect? would the MASS do it to perfection, i am sure the local car decors/accessory shop guy is not that good at it, it already shows he messed it up.

any tips to get the alignment right?

EDIT: by any chance adding a cup like this behind the speaker play have any undesired consequence, i want to buy it for this car. so that it wont cost me another set of components gurus advice please?
Attached Thumbnails
When ICE mixes with water!!!-h237xt40.jpeg  

When ICE mixes with water!!!-h237xt652f.jpeg  

Last edited by rider60 : 11th August 2008 at 12:41.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
... how in the world could that have formed? is that the condensation too?
Those are not scales, that is just the residue when the condensate evaporated once again. Yes, the chemicals come in with the atmospheric water vapor.

As the others suggested, do get the door and window seals checked. This amount of condensation can only come if the cabin was way below ambient and there is possibility of vapor ingress, either via doors/windows or via AC air intake (if the flap is on fresh air).

Most likely there is a gap at the top of the front windows / doors, possibly by misalignment. Was the condensation uniform within the car or only on the front doors?

PS: Yup, those cups should help protect the speakers.

Last edited by DerAlte : 11th August 2008 at 12:56.
Old 12th August 2008, 00:51   #10
BHPian

Beware. I looked at them before installing my speakers, and noticed that Crutchfield has really negative user reviews for those rubber cups. Apparently they really screw up the sound.
Old 12th August 2008, 03:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
Beware. I looked at them before installing my speakers, and noticed that Crutchfield has really negative user reviews for those rubber cups. Apparently they really screw up the sound.
OT: Seems like Crutchfield has blocked traffic from India. Is anyone being able to get through to their site?
Old 12th August 2008, 07:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
OT: Seems like Crutchfield has blocked traffic from India. Is anyone being able to get through to their site?
Yes I am able to get into their site. Why do you suspect of this?
Old 12th August 2008, 10:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Yes I am able to get into their site. Why do you suspect of this?
Cuz people in Delhi are getting this error. Someone in Punjab also checked and got the same error.
Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.crutchfield.com/" on this server.
Old 12th August 2008, 10:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Working fine from Mumbai (VSNL and Reliance)
Old 12th August 2008, 10:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Cuz people in Delhi are getting this error. Someone in Punjab also checked and got the same error.
Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.crutchfield.com/" on this server.
Yes, I am getting the Access Denied message (Mumbai Airtel Broadband)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks