Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2009, 11:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Gave it a listen yesterday , it sure sounds horrible, as bad as probably the Skoda Fabia.
However the player is Blau, so if this one has a RC out then that will solve a lot of problems, or we will have to do things our way.

Car has very good interiors for it's price.
thanks satya. it was my car that you had a look at yesterday ahem! btw what do you mean by 'our way' ?? will be coming in today for the sunfilm hope you don't forget
Old 11th April 2009, 11:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

All stock systems are built on a budget. Very small budget (for a ICEer).

Simply adding an amp and better speakers often makes stock systems sound worse as stock systems are often heavily eqed to compensate for anamolies in the loudspeaker and loudspeaker location.

Hence when you think about upgrading the stock system you have to consider if the HU can be replaced. Is the HU's display used by other systems. One of the first stock systems that shared a display with the car's other functions was that of the Opel Astra.

Also you need to consider if the car has steering wheel controls and if there is a harness that will allow you to wire these controls to 3rd party HUs.

Option 1 Replace HU - If you can get a dash kit and steering wheel control harness and the display is not shared with the car's other functions the best option is to replace the HU. A 3rd party HU gives you a lot of control hence if your car can accomodate a 3rd party HU do it.

Option 2. Retain HU - If however your car is like the Laura where the stock HU cannot be replaced then you will need to add a 3rd party processor (Alpine, RF, JBL, Audison, etc..) that will re-equallise the stock HU's output and offer you some degree of control over making the car sound like you expect. These systems (I have only tried the Alpine - which is the simplest of the lot) have limiations and your installer or yourself needs to be competent in orking around these limiations. For example I have a preference for a very laid back sound. The processor however insisted on equallising the sound to be theoretically flat. So to fool the processor we set the speaker's tweeter XO to +3db then reset the XO to -3db when the processor was finished.
Old 11th April 2009, 11:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Stock speakers are usually crap and meant for the average user, I opened my Civic door recently and found out that the Stock speakers are not even Co-Axial, they are full range speakers, I had though they would be co-axial at the least.As Navin sir rightly pointed out,

1. If you can Change it, Dash Kits, Wiring harness and Steering remote control Interfaces are easily available.

2. If you cant, use a processor, I had seen a Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 in action and it does the job pretty well.

3. You can also use High level speaker inputs, Some AMPs have the feature.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:27   #19
BHPian

The Emotions Pack Version gets Blue & Me Feature,I think it would be really tough integrating these features into any stock HU.
Old 12th April 2009, 21:25   #20
BHPian

Linea Stock ICE Upgrades

I agree that stock speakers are not top-notch and gets distorted on louder volumes. Although the stock system is pretty okay and has enough settings to get the right levels of distortion free output. The stock speakers are not capable of low frequencies.

I am trying to find out if the stock system has a SW pre-out, if that works we can have a high pass filter on the stock and have the SW manage the lower notes, that will solve almost all problems.

This is not an audiophiles system, but it is much better than other stock systems i have heard, I wish they had better speakers or a rear SW by default.

Although ideally i would go for a higher grade ICE but I cannot imagine loosing Blue & Me integration and also the steering controls which are quite handy, so will research and upgrade the stock ICE without changing the Blaupunkt HU.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:09   #21
BHPian

i think adding an amp and sub woofer and changing the speakers will be better than changing the HU itself as steering controls and blue and me features wont be functional.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:27   #22

I got my Linea MJD Dynamic Pack delivered last week. Ownership thread here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...jd-d-home.html

Its a Dynamic Pack and does not have a USB port(available only with Emotion variant).
Gurus, is it possible to connect it to my iPod(without an FM transmitter) without changing the head unit? Does the stock have any port at the back for doing some connection for this!
Old 30th November 2009, 16:01   #23

Hi,

Finally you did ICE for your LINEA? How is it and what were the options you tried. I am planning to do for my Emotion Pack Petrol..

Please share your experience.
Old 18th January 2010, 09:33   #24
BHPian

i own a linea emotion in flamince red. i find the ICE to be pretty good (for soft songs although the stock speakers give up for songs with some bass). but i am facing some problem with the FM. as i tune into a station, the sound is very clear. but as the car moves, the sound starts to have some disturbance. but on retuning, it becomes normal again.
any other fellow bhpian facing the same problem?
Old 18th January 2010, 11:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
as i tune into a station, the sound is very clear. but as the car moves, the sound starts to have some disturbance. but on retuning, it becomes normal again.
What sort of disturbance? There are 2 types of disturbance a person can face with FM.

1. multiplex distortion
2. picket fencing

Multiplex distion is common with Stereo FM reception. (Observation: If your HU has a stereo/mono switch (older HUs did) and you swtich from stereo to mono you will notice that the distortion is far reduced).

Multiplex distortion is created because the way the stereo signal is multplexed (in fact the FCC chose GE/Zenith becasue their systems had the least multiplex/multipath distortions). I think the multiplex was something like this...L = 2L/2 = (R+L)-(R-L). Stereo stations then broadcast a mono signal (L+R) between 30Hz and 15kHz and a L-R signal between 23kHz and 53kHz. There is a pilot tone at 19kHz for mono recievers and a subcarrier at 38khz (the later is generted by the reciever from the pilot tone). Your HU hs a decoder that creates L and R from the L+R and L-R signals.

Because stereo recievers have 2 signals to recieve and process - there are a variety of algorithims here (from decoding to transmission methods), stereo signals are more suspectible to multiplex and multipath (picket fencing is a form of multipath distortion) distortion.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

@S.I.N.G.H., are you storing the desired station to a memory location when you tune? If not, it might lose track of what you had tuned if you start the car.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@S.I.N.G.H., are you storing the desired station to a memory location when you tune? If not, it might lose track of what you had tuned if you start the car.
Many (20+) years ago there were technologies developed that prevented FM recievers from "drifting" and these circuits are even able to lock onto a signal and compensate for a bit of drift. ( 1/4 of SSB).
Old 19th January 2010, 12:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What sort of disturbance? There are 2 types of disturbance a person can face with FM.

1. multiplex distortion
2. picket fencing

Multiplex distion is common with Stereo FM reception. (Observation: If your HU has a stereo/mono switch (older HUs did) and you swtich from stereo to mono you will notice that the distortion is far reduced).

Multiplex distortion is created because the way the stereo signal is multplexed (in fact the FCC chose GE/Zenith becasue their systems had the least multiplex/multipath distortions). I think the multiplex was something like this...L = 2L/2 = (R+L)-(R-L). Stereo stations then broadcast a mono signal (L+R) between 30Hz and 15kHz and a L-R signal between 23kHz and 53kHz. There is a pilot tone at 19kHz for mono recievers and a subcarrier at 38khz (the later is generted by the reciever from the pilot tone). Your HU hs a decoder that creates L and R from the L+R and L-R signals.

Because stereo recievers have 2 signals to recieve and process - there are a variety of algorithims here (from decoding to transmission methods), stereo signals are more suspectible to multiplex and multipath (picket fencing is a form of multipath distortion) distortion.
thanks for the reply navin sir,
but i would appreciate if u explain it in a bit easier language.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Many (20+) years ago there were technologies developed that prevented FM recievers from "drifting" ...
PLL-assisted discriminators? Still around - standard part of the radio IC!

@S.I.N.G.H.'s description was a bit ambiguous, but IMHO it was not a problem of drift - rather imperfect storage of the channel frequency (in the controller IC).
Old 19th January 2010, 14:31   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
PLL-assisted discriminators?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
u explain it in a bit easier language.
Yes PLL. Phase Locked Loop. SSB (for those who care to know) is Single Side Band.

SINGH,

Your earlier description of the problem has left DA and me confused as to the exact nature of the problem so both of us have related to you all the possible problems of FM radio reception.

Maybe if we understood the issue you face a bit better we'd not sound as confusing as we do now.

Last edited by navin : 19th January 2010 at 14:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks