Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 13:25   #1
BHPian

Bull + Kenwood - Rocks My Blushing BABY!

Friends,
After researching a lot for a budget install (with a max of INR 25K), I finally decided to go for the heady cocktail of Kenwood and Bull Audio. Budget shot up to over INR 36K! (Perils of browsing the ICE section of TBHP )

Install Details

Head Unit: Kenwood 6539
Amplifier: Kenwood KAC 8404
Front Components: Bull Audio 6.5"
Rear Fill: None as of now
Subwoofer: Bull Audio 12"
Subwoofer Box: Custom Built
Power Kit: Bull Audio
Cables: Kicker

Installed at: DRIVEN

First Feel
I was very excited with my install and am thankfull to a lot of people who made this possible. Big thanks go out to Team BHPians for their thoughtful suggestions and for leting me audition simillar setups. Rana from DRIVEN was particularly helpfull. The install was very professional and well executed.

I auditioned my system for the first time and felt a Deja Vu. It is an awesome combination. I played different songs from my USB Drive and the head unit was very fast in reading. It displayed all the names of songs and other details. The amplifier is very crisp. The sound from the front comps are very clean and not at all bright. The clarity of the sound is beautiful. The sub delivers a very tight bass (opted for sealed box) which mingles with the sound of the front comps effortlessly. I do not like to listen to sound at very loud volumes, so the sound levels are quite good for me.

I am no expert on ice but the setup has made me very happy. Every time I drive a smile comes on my face as my baby rocks. Thats what Ice is about.....

Cheers
MK

PS: Pictures to follow
Old 12th February 2009, 13:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice setup. Can you please post individual price break-up.

And which car is it ?
Old 12th February 2009, 13:43   #3
nitin.dangayach

And do post some pics man.

Old 12th February 2009, 13:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a pretty decent set-up. Why didnt you go for the rear co-axials yet? Also, any specific reason for choosing Kenwood over a Pioneer for the HU?

Look forward to some pictures soon.
Old 12th February 2009, 16:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good setup! Prices and pictures!
Old 12th February 2009, 17:21   #6
BANNED

MK! Congratulations.
It's a good setup you've chosen. I'm sure your grin is wide and will stay on for long.

Bull audio with Kenwood is doing wonders these days. They're good VFM too.

If your car is a hatch, then it is wise to stay away from the rear speakers. Especially, if you drive mostly.

You like your setup. Enjoy it. Period.
Old 12th February 2009, 17:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Setup.
Is the 8404 the replacement to the 8401?

Some pics of the install please.
Old 12th February 2009, 17:37   #8
nitin.dangayach

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congrats on the Setup.

Seems like. I am terribly confused if I should buy this one or not. Its actually not available in grey and the new one is like 9K :(

Specs wise, its all similar. In fact litlle less 50W vs 55W with 8401.

Old 12th February 2009, 19:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

For 9k , the 1004 is a good amp.
You can get it for around 10k.
Old 12th February 2009, 19:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
I have tuned a couple of systems with the 8404 driving comps and a sub and to my ears the 8404 seemed a wee bit more ballsy than the 8401. It's another clean and powerful amp for very little money. The only thing the 8401 had OVER the 8404 was a steal of a price and very flexible input routing. Given that most of the time people will be using the 8404 with an HU with 2 preouts or more, I guess most people won't miss the 8401's input routing features.

Recently I was at a dealer's when, on a customer's insistence the dealer gave an In-Car ABX between an Alpine 4ch (28K), a Rainbow iPaul (27K) and the Kenwood 8404 (10K). I was keeping an open mind but was expecting the Kenwood to be thrashed by the Alpine. That didn't happen. In nearly all areas of judging, the Kenwood was ahead of the Alpine by a fair margin. The customer who had already bought the Alpine amp (on my recommendation I must add), quickly changed his mind and went for the Kenwood amp.

I think these amps are fantastic value for money and one of the reasons we don't sell many of our amps in this price range.

Congrats on your setup Monty, enjoy the music (as you already seem to be doing)! The system will sound even better after a bit of run-in.
Old 12th February 2009, 20:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well thats a very interesting observation Gunbir. Which alpine amp were you comparing the Kenwood to ? And how was it compared to the iPaul ?

Also, how is it compared to the JBL 1004 / Infinity 475a in ur opinion ?
Old 12th February 2009, 20:58   #12
nitin.dangayach

BUt Gunbir, If I get hold of 8401, shall I stick with it or add 4K to get 8404 ?

Old 12th February 2009, 22:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laalpari
8401 was replaced by the 8402 which was succeeded by the 8403 which is succeeded by the 8404.
Old 12th February 2009, 22:38   #14
BHPian

Thanks guys. Let me now reply to the individual queries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Nice setup. Can you please post individual price break-up.

And which car is it ?
Price Breakup:
Head Unit: Kenwood 6539 - INR 9990
Amplifier: Kenwood KAC 8404 - INR 9990
Front Components: Bull Audio 6.5" - 5900
Rear Fill: None as of now
Subwoofer: Bull Audio 12" - INR 4600
Subwoofer Box: Custom Built - INR 1500
Power Kit+RCA: Bull Audio - INR 4300
Cables: Kicker: INR 800
MDF Ring: INR 150
MDF Board for Amp: INR 250

Got some discount from DRIVEN.

Car - i10

Quote:
And do post some pics man.
Sure I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's a pretty decent set-up. Why didnt you go for the rear co-axials yet? Also, any specific reason for choosing Kenwood over a Pioneer for the HU?

Look forward to some pictures soon.
Since I drive myself most of the time I needed a front focussed setup. I think Pioneers are a tad bright for my taste. Kenwoods are more warm, less bright and more mid focussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Good setup! Prices and pictures!
Prices: see above. Pictures will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
MK! Congratulations.
It's a good setup you've chosen. I'm sure your grin is wide and will stay on for long.

Bull audio with Kenwood is doing wonders these days. They're good VFM too.

If your car is a hatch, then it is wise to stay away from the rear speakers. Especially, if you drive mostly.

You like your setup. Enjoy it. Period.
Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congrats on the Setup.

Yes 8401 was replaced by 8402/8403/8404 in that order. So 8404 is the one with the latest technology.

Quote:
Seems like. I am terribly confused if I should buy this one or not. Its actually not available in grey and the new one is like 9K :(

Nitin 8404 is great VFM considering the sound quality. I am no ICE expert but my ears tell me so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
I have tuned a couple of systems with the 8404 driving comps and a sub and to my ears the 8404 seemed a wee bit more ballsy than the 8401. It's another clean and powerful amp for very little money. The only thing the 8401 had OVER the 8404 was a steal of a price and very flexible input routing. Given that most of the time people will be using the 8404 with an HU with 2 preouts or more, I guess most people won't miss the 8401's input routing features.

Recently I was at a dealer's when, on a customer's insistence the dealer gave an In-Car ABX between an Alpine 4ch (28K), a Rainbow iPaul (27K) and the Kenwood 8404 (10K). I was keeping an open mind but was expecting the Kenwood to be thrashed by the Alpine. That didn't happen. In nearly all areas of judging, the Kenwood was ahead of the Alpine by a fair margin. The customer who had already bought the Alpine amp (on my recommendation I must add), quickly changed his mind and went for the Kenwood amp.

I think these amps are fantastic value for money and one of the reasons we don't sell many of our amps in this price range.

Congrats on your setup Monty, enjoy the music (as you already seem to be doing)! The system will sound even better after a bit of run-in.
Cheers Gunbir! Your advice has helped me immensely in selecting my ICE.
Old 12th February 2009, 22:54   #15
BHPian

Congrats MK,Great setup.Enjoy!

8401 seems VFM now because it sells for 5k in grey,I think its almost been 4 year's since it was in production.When it was in production it nearly sold for 12k.So the 8401 is a steal deal now.But due to shortage its hardly available now.

8404 is almost the same thing but its a current production amp so its priced at what it deserves to be at.8404 has a better looks is compact as well,and looks very clean when installed properly,The wire's can be easily be hidden away.It seems sensible to shell out a little more now or else you can wait for a few years for it to come to that price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks