Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 02:57   #1
BHPian

New Honda City high end upgrade

i had a question...on the new honda city i want to upgrade the sound system.... i want to retain the orignal head unit but want to upgrade the 4 speakers and do not want a woofer but will put a 4 channel amp and also dynamt the doors....cost is very flexible but it must be pounding for hip hop and trance music. pls guide me to upto rs.20k, 50k, 70k options

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Also avoid typing in SMS/Slang Language. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st July 2009 at 19:23. Reason: Please read the note in post
Old 1st July 2009, 10:19   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemballa View Post
i had a question...on the new honda city i want to upgrade the sound system.... i want to retain the orignal head unit but want to upgrade the 4 speakers and do not want a woofer but will put a 4 channel amp and also dynamt the doors....cost is very flexible but it must be pounding for hip hop and trance music. pls guide me to upto rs.20k, 50k, 70k options
Whatever your budget, am not sure if you will be able to achieve a "pounding" setup for the kind of music you listen to, without a subwoofer. If you usually drive alone, would suggest that you ditch the rear speakers in favour of a good sub.

Do try to listen to setups with and without subs and see which option meets your requirements for bass.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:18   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemballa View Post
Without a sub, that's a toughie. And now that you have posted a query in the ICE section, our first effect will be to fill up a little of your boot space with a sub. Beleive me, no matter how good the midbass from a set of components be, they usually don't beat a sub in a decent box. Or, you can also search for an old thread in which 2 8" subs were used under the front seats. See if it helps. They can save your boot space for sure. Don't know what how much of a the PUNCH effect they give though.

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 1st July 2009, 18:26   #4
BHPian

even with an 8" sub under the seat the bass that would be expected would not be the same. Adding a sub just for the sake of adding a sub doesn't always work out the way the customer wants it to. The best thing I can think of is a nice little 10" in the trunk with the right box.

Also we have recently thought up an interesting way of mounting the sub in the rear tray, it's something that's not been done yet, hopefully i can get a drawing up or something.
Old 1st July 2009, 19:10   #5
BHPian

@DOCG mounting the sub in the stock tray ?
a diagram would surely help.
Old 1st July 2009, 19:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Arpan- I have seen Esteems & Ikons with Sub installed in Tray between the speakers. Not sure how stock the trays were
Old 1st July 2009, 19:50   #7
BHPian

You could try the Rainbow KICK components. They give amazing bass for the front stage. Many a times the sub becomes redundant ( to me ).

Of course for pounding ,car shaking, neighbourhood awakening bass a subwoofer or two or for some even three would be needed.
Old 1st July 2009, 19:55   #8
BHPian

@Techno yes, a lot of installs have that mounting for the sub including Mr. Frank Mehta's install pre-SQ days Not on a stock tray though, those are MDF trays.
Old 1st July 2009, 20:26   #9
BHPian

no, no talking about an MDF tray with a box incorporated, so the woofer isn't exactly free air. It appears so, but gives some really thumping bass.

We were messing around with this idea at the store, it sure does sound pretty good...
Old 1st July 2009, 20:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
You could try the Rainbow KICK components. They give amazing bass for the front stage. Many a times the sub becomes redundant ( to me ).

Of course for pounding ,car shaking, neighbourhood awakening bass a subwoofer or two or for some even three would be needed.

Well with all due respect I've seen some pretty amazing stuff done with a single sub in a car. It's not always about boom boom.

It has a lot to do with completing the sound reproduction of a track and when a sub is tuned well with the rest of the set-up it can do wonderful things without waking up your neighbours or shaking your car too much

ie SQ substage

Also I seem to remember that the rainbow kicks are not recommended for any frequency below 85hz, so safely one can say that they're decent till 100hz. What about the range which is normally abundant in Hip Hop? You would loose out on a lot of musicality if a hip-hop setup did without a sub.

Last edited by DocG : 1st July 2009 at 20:31.
Old 4th July 2009, 12:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Well with all due respect I've seen some pretty amazing stuff done with a single sub in a car. It's not always about boom boom.

It has a lot to do with completing the sound reproduction of a track and when a sub is tuned well with the rest of the set-up it can do wonderful things without waking up your neighbours or shaking your car too much

ie SQ substage

Also I seem to remember that the rainbow kicks are not recommended for any frequency below 85hz, so safely one can say that they're decent till 100hz. What about the range which is normally abundant in Hip Hop? You would loose out on a lot of musicality if a hip-hop setup did without a sub.
I was kidding abt the multiple sub woofer thing DocG.. I know abt the boom thing. I too use a single IDQ10 with Rainbow Kickbass comps on the front stage.Works great.( althouhg I dont hear HIP HOP )
Old 5th July 2009, 01:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

The best options I could think of:

I : Go in for a 3 way system in front. Get a Peerless SLS6 Woofer for the front. These would cost about 90$ for a pair. They would be able to Handle 40-50hz to 200hz Low frequency. After which add a 4" componenet system from Rainbow or Morel which would take care of Frequency from 100hz onwards. Peerless SLS6 would do a great duty on those Low Frequencies since you not looking for a sub, they are one of the best woofers for it's size one could find and can handle easily 150W x 2. Ofcourse in this case mounting will be need to worked out and would require some fabrication.

II : Get Scanspeak 18W/4531G and Scan-Speak Illuminator D2004/6020 tweeter or Morel Piccolo. Either add a passive xover to them (since you plan to retain your stock headunit) or run active and these will give you one of the best SQ with good amount bass one can look for.

III : Or as mentioned by others Get either the Rainbow Comps or Something from Morel like ELate6. Have come to know these would cost 40K as PTC has slashed prices on them and are even cheaper than buying online if compared. Elate6 comes one of the most sweetest sounding tweeter, MT-23, which delivers very clean highs and great offaxis response. Morels can run down to 50hz easily, I have mine running at 50hz without a hitch.
For Rear you may add a Coax as fillers.

All these should work best in your budget. But, as mentioned by everyone a Sub would add more depth to your midbass if tuned correctly. It could make one feel all the bass is coming from fronts. Even a single 10" with maybe .50 cu.ft of enclosure size could work the best. Out of the above options I would go in for option I or II which might work the best since you not planning to add the sub.
Also as you plan to keep the stock headunit I would strongly suggest you add Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2 or AudioControl DQL-8 / DQXS for complete control over your system and will produce much better SQ.
You would need 4 to 6 channel amplifier/amplification.

Last edited by Invinsible : 5th July 2009 at 01:40.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:36   #13
BHPian

honda city SQ (focal)

hey guys just got my new honda city ice'd up.
i wanted it to look as stock as possible so i retained the orignal head unit... the only give away is the tweeters

the car has been soundproofed with components in front 165 K2 power and 165 k2power c in the rears of a 4 channel eclipse amp...

the sound from these is uncomparable to most speakers i have heard sounds like there is a sub in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
New Honda City high end upgrade-ecc.jpg  

New Honda City high end upgrade-foo.jpg  

New Honda City high end upgrade-fooo.jpg  

New Honda City high end upgrade-rears.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by gemballa : 15th July 2009 at 12:37.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats! Goof choice of equipement. How much did those comps costed ? Eclipse amps are good but I suppose those K2P could do better with higher end amps.
As long as you enjoying it doesnt matter.
Old 15th July 2009, 23:19   #15
BHPian

Abhishek,
The eclipse line of amps are excellent, and I'm sure the Focals are running well off them.

What is interesting is that gembella opted for Focal speakers front and rear, but didn't show brand loyalty when it came to the amp :lol

We have installed quite a few Focal amps, and they're proven to be very strong, clean and high quality.

Regards,
DocG

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks