Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 02:26   #31
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
What are the specs of your 6 channel amp?

75x 4 at 4ohms and 200 x 2 at 4ohms /
110 x 4 at 2 ohms and 200 x 2 at 4 ohms and
220 x 2 at 4 ohms and 200 x 2 at 4 ohms

Am i correct?
If yes, why not add a mid range. Give the tweeters and the mid range 75w and the midwoofer - 200w
i thought of that initially, i wanted to keep the system 362 so that id have the MD142 midrange and all i do is purchase a MW162 set of raw drivers, but it was wasting more money down the line when i do decide to get the esotars i will have a set of 362's as well as a set of MW162 mids to sell

now that i swopped the system 362 for the system 242 now to purchase the MW142 midranges again means cash that i could save toward the esotars

letting you in on the deal ive been offered, i can get the esotars way below retail price. in fact i can get them for around R16000 here which works out to around 96500 rupees, this is basically the landed distributor cost with no markup or even retailer markup .... remembering that the retail value of those here are R22000 which is around 133000 rupees) not every one is going to get the deal im getting but the distributor and me have come to an agreement that if i do the install well enough he can use my vehicle as a demo vehicle at any soundoffs and car shows hence why he is prepared to give it to me at these low prices

so still if i really can sell that amp at R5000 which is what i paid for it (it was used for 3 days) thats approximately 30000 rupees - and i was given my system 242 at around that price too (ie R5000) and ive sold the JL sub for R2000 which is around 12000 rupees so if i still wanted those esotars i could get them by adding R4000 (around 24000 rupees) from my pocket, though that would give me the esotar 650 and 110's only for now but those would run fantastic as a two way set

so im not going to rush and install those speakers in yet, im going to give it a week or two more to see if anyone is interested to purchase my amp and see if i can still get the amount required for the speakers, if i dont use the system 242 i will still get the full purchase price back as a trade in on them, the JL sub is sold and if i can sell the amp as ive said ive got R12000 (72000 rupees) already toward the R16000 (96500 rupees) for those esotars

as it stands though ive got that system 242 and the amp as well the cash from the sale of the sub all in my hands right now and if someone decides to purchase the amp then im way ahead of the game but it leaves me with no amps for now but im sure i could use some temporary amps until i can save up the cash for some genesis or Tru Tech amps (either of those have to be imported here to SA cos there are no local distributors of those around here) but the main thing though now is to divert whatever funds i have to get those speakers first and build from there

BTW the subs and the sub amp ive ordered is from the same distributor so i can cancel those too because those havent arrived into the country yet, the shipment of the Resonant Engineering speakers is only arriving in 4 weeks time and the sub amp will be ordered from Finland only when the speakers arrive because that takes 4 days to reach here, so i can still bale out on those, meaning i can take the subs and change my mind on the amps and maybe get something on credit from another contact

Wow i really am complicating my life for the moment, maybe i should just use that amp as ive stated in my previous post and just install the system 242 it should still sound awesome enough but im really a greedy person when it comes to audio equipment, i love to use the best i can, wherever i can and those Esotars are really tempting me because they could eventually form the basis for a truly high end system which would be even more expensive than what im running at home

oh well so many decisions to make all based on whether i can sell one amplifier

Last edited by naughty001 : 5th August 2009 at 02:32.

Old 8th November 2009, 02:55   #32
naughty001

just a slight update on this - these just came in

Hi from South Africa-arrived.jpg

Resonant engineering subwoofers

Hi from South Africa-subwoofers.jpg

Hi from South Africa-subwoofers2.jpg

Hi from South Africa-subwooferrear.jpg

amplifier for the subwoofers

Hi from South Africa-ampbox.jpg

Hi from South Africa-ampboxopen.jpg

going there, doing that ....... got the t-shirt

Hi from South Africa-tshirt.jpg

so okay the subs are entry level but the idea is that they only play that last one octave of sound below 50 hz anyway, so they dont need to be the absolute best, and for now i will just use the dynaudio esotec stuff until i can afford the upgrade up to the esotars later next year

so all i need to start the install is some 1/0 gauge power cable and some decent sound deadening materials, then i will start with the rear hatch install as well as a temporary front stage since the final front stage will probably be using esotars if i have my way in the long run but so far the current equipment collections is as follows

1) Alpine CDA-9887 headunit
2) SPL Dynamics S7006 amplifier
3) Dynaudio MD102 tweeter
4) Dynaudio Mw162 mid
5) SPL Dynamics S4002 amplifier
6) one pair Resonant Engineering REx10d4 subwoofers

the plan is to install the system with this collection and see how it sounds or i may even return the esotec set and just get the esotar2 650 mids for now and get the esotar2 110 tweeters later. If i do this then i will need a temporary tweeter so it was another convenient item that i found which is also lying around in my equipment stash .... a set of VR3 elite ribbon tweeters (pictures below) - so im covered for most circumstances. These were obtained very cheaply but according to most reports they work pretty decently, i would love to just try them out because the demo pair i heard were sitting right next to each other so i couldnt evaluate their stereo performance but they are tonally very good

Hi from South Africa-box4.jpg

Hi from South Africa-tweeters1.jpg

Hi from South Africa-crossover2.jpg

Old 8th November 2009, 20:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Killer stuff dude. WIP pics? Impressions?
Old 8th November 2009, 23:31   #34
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Killer stuff dude. WIP pics? Impressions?
havent started on the install yet since i still have to purchase the sound deadening for the doors etc and also some cable - may just do a temporary install while i save up for whatever else i need for the install - but this is going to be a nice looking install if i have my way - so im going to definitely take my time but i will update as any progress happens

Old 9th November 2009, 13:04   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
1) Alpine CDA-9887 headunit
2) SPL Dynamics S7006 amplifier
3) Dynaudio MD102 tweeter
4) Dynaudio Mw162 mid
5) SPL Dynamics S4002 amplifier
6) one pair Resonant Engineering REx10d4 subwoofers

the plan is to install the system with this collection and see how it sounds or i may even return the esotec set and just get the esotar2 650 mids for now and get the esotar2 110 tweeters later. If i do this then i will need a temporary tweeter so it was another convenient item that i found which is also lying around in my equipment stash .... a set of VR3 elite ribbon tweeters (pictures below) - so im covered for most circumstances
Attachment 223711
those are pretty large ribbons. how do you plan to accomodate them?
Old 9th November 2009, 17:25   #36
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
those are pretty large ribbons. how do you plan to accomodate them?
Navin - they are not as big as they look. Heres a picture of one on a CD cover so you can get an idea of the actual size

Hi from South Africa-size.jpg

they also come with brackets for mounting, the ones on the right are the ones that you can use on the dashboard which will angle them to fire up toward your ears but i dont plan to use those because the steering wheel column will still cause reflections which will lead to a wandering/unstable centre image and the one on the left is for flush mounting and this is a feasible option but i'd prefer them on axis since ribbons definitely sound better on axis and the vehicle also has a high steering mount column

Hi from South Africa-brackets.jpg

so im planning to mount them higher up on the A-pillar, still have to speak to my Dyn dealer and see whats the feasibility of retunrning the esotecs for the price ive paid for them and paying the difference and getting the esotar2 mids only as a replacement before i decide what to do as well cos that takes me one step closer to having the esotars totally

the esotec MD102 is just as difficult to mount on axis as the ribbons cos they are 2 inch in external diameter and the esotars are actually 4 inch in external diameter, so the ribbons have just around the same degree of difficulty to mount (on axis) as the other speakers since the width if i mount them vertically (you have to because of the dispersion pattern) is around 2 inches as well

Old 9th November 2009, 22:17   #37
Team-BHP Support

Esotars and VR3s in a car. Will wonders never cease. Maybe you should just get RAALs or AMTs and be done with it. :-)
Old 9th November 2009, 23:55   #38
naughty001

Quote:
Esotars and VR3s in a car. Will wonders never cease. Maybe you should just get RAALs or AMTs and be done with it. :-)

no, no dont get the wrong idea. I cant afford to get the esotars in one go(so i dont think id be able to afford those RAAL ribbons right now too) - hence if i get the esotar mids as replacement for the complete esotec set plus the balance paid in cash then i will get the esotar tweeters within 6 months ... sooner probably ... i just need to save up a bit to get those. The esotars are not complete component sets and are sold as individual drivers so they can be purchased in this staggered manner, and i reckon it wont cause too much of a problem o get them at these differing times

the vr3's are only so that if i do not keep the esotecs then they are a cheap throwaway set - i will remove them and get rid of them but the main idea is to actually have the esotars as a complete set eventually and im not 100% after ribbons. I dont think im brave enough to experiment with non conventional drivers just yet unless the price is right

the other option is to forget the esotars altogether and just use the esotecs and maybe upgrade the head unit to something better like a Pioneer P99RS or maybe even a lower end headunit with an Audison Bit one for the processing, this also has obvious sonic benefits because the bitones processing is all done in the digital domain hence using any head unit as a source would work because you are adjusting all the signals received anyway. The signal will be converted to digital using the bit ones ADC then processed and then reconverted back to analog using the bit ones 24 bit DAC's

there is third option too, which is to keep the esotec speakers as well as the 9887 and the subs and the 200 watts x 2 sub amp but to sell the 6 channel amplifier and get some better amplification for the front speakers. A possible contender would be a pair of Focal FP 2.150 LE amplifiers or maybe even a pair of Genesis Dual Mono extremes (but id have to import those since they are not sold here in South Africa). the focals are actually pretty good for what they are and the price you pay for them (1/3rd the price of the genesis amps) - so they will work well enough with the esotec set (probably a bit better than the SPL Dynamics)

also another potential option instead of ribbon tweeters is to also get a set of USD super A waveguides with HLCD's (horn loaded compression drivers) but i dont have anyone going to America at the moment who can get those for me. I will definitely get a set of these within the next few years since im hoping to attend CES someday and if i do i will definitely plan to get a set of these to bring back, the problem with these is to get effecient enough midbass drivers to work with them and robably to keep up with them id need to find a way to use 10" Dynaudio MW182 drivers in the doors of the vehicle with a boatload of power

USD Audio WaveGuide Super A

though i can see some benefit in your advice concerning those RAAL audio ribbons, that definitely seems like an option to also keep in mind if i can find them

but whatever i eventually decide to do i will make sure that it will be the best sounding compromise from what i have to eventually get it all to sound decent. Sure it wont be the best sounding system ever because it will eventually be a series of compromises but it will sound close to where i want my sound to be for the amount im spending. So some choices still to made which is why im not rushing into the install just yet.

Last edited by naughty001 : 10th November 2009 at 00:03.

Old 10th November 2009, 02:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

also another potential option instead of ribbon tweeters is to also get a set of USD super A waveguides with HLCD's (horn loaded compression drivers) but i dont have anyone going to America at the moment who can get those for me. I will definitely get a set of these within the next few years since im hoping to attend CES someday and if i do i will definitely plan to get a set of these to bring back, the problem with these is to get effecient enough midbass drivers to work with them and robably to keep up with them id need to find a way to use 10" Dynaudio MW182 drivers in the doors of the vehicle with a boatload of power

USD Audio WaveGuide Super A
WOW! There's a lot going on in that Head
Great Choice. Above is the best option in my opinion. One can never go wrong with the USD waveguide. Ribbons are good but would prefer those waveguides. Ribbons can get kinda brighter if not installed right. Aesthetic wise I would prefer the Dyn esotar2 110 or the waveguide. What I would like to see Dyn 172 and USD waveguide work together. Or may be even Morel Supremo 9" midbass, I prefer the higher sensitivity on them. Waveguides can be crossed lower safer bet around 800hz. Few months back had enquired about the price on them and had got a quote of 1500$ for SUPER A. There was some discount offered on these.
I guess may be step by step could be better option, Drivers than the Amps and finally a new HU (a lower end HU and MS8 once it's out).

Whatever it is eagerly waiting on your feedback for how those ribbon performs.
Old 10th November 2009, 02:41   #40
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
WOW! There's a lot going on in that Head
haha - yes the head is FULL of ideas but the pockets are unfortunately EMPTY

mainly because i have a few electronics projects on the go ie i want to organize an HD satellite decoder for my home theater system as well as a blu-ray player (didnt get one originally cos i was waiting for prices to drop and they have subsequently dropped a lot right now) and also ive just started on my room surround entertainment setup as well which is linked to my computer, so if i wasnt doing all of this i could have spent more on the car setup, but theres no rush for any of this so as long as i complete all these projects within the next couple of months then im totally on track and out of all these projects the car one has the lowest priority. This is obviously because i live at home but only drive around with the car but yeah eventually i will finish off with a word class car system as well in the long run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Whatever it is eagerly waiting on your feedback for how those ribbon performs.
no probs - im sure i will use those somehow no matter what i decide upon - so will definitely report back on how they work

Old 10th November 2009, 13:35   #41
BHPian

Hey naughty if you're planning on getting anything from Focal, wait a couple of months, there's gonna be a lot of new stuff coming in real soon, stuff that you might prefer compared to the current range.

Their amps have proven to be extremely strong and are definitely a good choice when compared to products similar. The Genesis dual mono or even the DLS A3 for that matter are a whole different ball game though. Super strong amps there.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2009, 15:01   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
haha - yes the head is FULL of ideas but the pockets are unfortunately EMPTY
Like most of us! :-)
Old 10th November 2009, 16:08   #43
naughty001

Quote:
Like most of us! :-)
hehe - you know of a bank we can go and rob LOL (just kidding)

Old 10th November 2009, 16:18   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hehe - you know of a bank we can go and rob LOL (just kidding)
Why go to a bank why not just "hit the streets" in capetown?. Just kidding too.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:34   #45
naughty001

Quote:
Why go to a bank why not just "hit the streets" in capetown?. Just kidding too.
Cape Town is a poor place, Johannesburg would probably be better but unfortunately i live in Durban - to go to either of those other places would take money that i dont have right now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks