Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 17:40   #121
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
What maps are you using?? I am also in the process of building a PC for my civic, Need some help regarding GPS. Which GPS receiver to buy along with the Maps. I plan to use CF as my frontend.
he is using garmin maps.
so, when you starting your thread about your CarPC?
Old 29th May 2010, 13:08   #122
BHPian

can somebody please show me where is the equipment housed?
Other than that, my query is-

I am surely gonna buy the Fiesta Sports in a months or so. My home PC is rarely used. Can I use some of it's components to power my carputer?
Old 29th May 2010, 13:29   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
can somebody please show me where is the equipment housed?
Other than that, my query is-

I am surely gonna buy the Fiesta Sports in a months or so. My home PC is rarely used. Can I use some of it's components to power my carputer?
the equipments can be placed under the seats or in the trunk.

NO, i dont think so that you can use any of our home PC's components to POWER the carpc.
beacuse carpc needs DC-DC regulated volt. so you need to buy this item in prder to power up your carpc.
Old 29th May 2010, 19:11   #124
Senior - BHPian

something like these for interconnect. dont worry about the current rating, just calculate actual current consumption and select connector and appropriate fuse on the line. you can ask for maruti car connectors in any auto shop by no of pins required, 4 pin or 6pin ask for larger size once he show you the stuff.
1.5/2.5/4.0mm Pin Diameter Connector System Product Feature Selector - Tyco Electronics

MULTILOCK Connectors and Contacts Product Feature Selector - Tyco Electronics

Automotive - Car (Body) Soft Shell Connectors - Tyco Electronics

Automotive Connectors

http://connectors.delphi.com/DCSGDMC...ection+Systems
Old 29th May 2010, 22:36   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
the equipments can be placed under the seats or in the trunk.

NO, i dont think so that you can use any of our home PC's components to POWER the carpc.
beacuse carpc needs DC-DC regulated volt. so you need to buy this item in prder to power up your carpc.
Uhh I meant can we use some home PC components to BUILD a carPC? If yes, what all?

Sorry, my bad.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:25   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Uhh I meant can we use some home PC components to BUILD a carPC? If yes, what all?

Sorry, my bad.
Whether its a home PC or car PC the major components like processor and all are same. The difference lies mainly in the power supply, MB form factor etc. Also its preferable to use solid state drives as storage in case of carputer. Since they are too costly these days, people normally use 2.5" laptop drives as storage. In a nutshell you can transfer the processor, RAM, PCI cards and input devices if any from your home PC to car PC. Even your existing ATX mother board can be used, but on the cost of the space it needs.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:50   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Even your existing ATX mother board can be used, but on the cost of the space it needs.
And at the cost of power wasted and additional heat generated for no real reason. Needless to mention the need of a bigger and costlier power supply (read Opus or similar) required to run a fat desktop processor in the car. A desktop class processor is a sheer overkill for a CarPC unless you plan to do some serious multi-channel audio tuning via AudioMulch or something similar. Even for running audio tuning, a dual core mobile-class processor would do just fine.

Trust me, in an automotive environment the goal should be to run your whole your whole carPC system fan-less, mainly because of our dusty environment which piles up loads on dust on the electronics in no time if a fan is used.

For a normal car PC, a dual Core Atom processor would be the best bet for running a well designed front-end like CF or RR and other plugins like GPS Nav engine, OBD, music, video playback, rear view camera, BT hands-free...
Old 10th June 2010, 22:10   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
And at the cost of power wasted and additional heat generated for no real reason. Needless to mention the need of a bigger and costlier power supply (read Opus or similar) required to run a fat desktop processor in the car. A desktop class processor is a sheer overkill for a CarPC unless you plan to do some serious multi-channel audio tuning via AudioMulch or something similar. Even for running audio tuning, a dual core mobile-class processor would do just fine.

Trust me, in an automotive environment the goal should be to run your whole your whole carPC system fan-less, mainly because of our dusty environment which piles up loads on dust on the electronics in no time if a fan is used.

For a normal car PC, a dual Core Atom processor would be the best bet for running a well designed front-end like CF or RR and other plugins like GPS Nav engine, OBD, music, video playback, rear view camera, BT hands-free...
After all we are not gonna do some video editing or hardcore gaming in the car. We have better places for all those I guess

Most Viewed