Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2008, 13:57   #8266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The Monoblock might be a bit more stable at lower impedance and that means if the sub's impedance curve is complex (most siubwoofers have inductive impedance curves that can peak at resonance and fall fast mkaing them to be quite complex) the monoblock will have an edge.

Usually when an amp is not able to control the speaker properly the speaker will sound a bit woolly.

I found a good primer on amplifier basics here. Hope it helps.
Lenard Audio - Education - Amplifiers.
Thanks for the detailed explanation Just one more doubt, does the amp being Class D help with the better damping?

The Link is great. Will need to bookmark and spend some quality time reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma
How would a spare wheel sub take up boot space. Instead it would take NO boot space! the sub fits entirely in the inverted spare wheel.
This is what im goin to audition in BOOM
Do update on what you experience, I'm interested in how good it will sounds compared to a sealed/ported box sub. More space in the boot is always appreciated.
Old 11th June 2008, 15:16   #8267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation Just one more doubt, does the amp being Class D help with the better damping?
I am not very familiar with Class D amps but in general no the type of amp does not make much of a difference.
Old 11th June 2008, 15:21   #8268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not very familiar with Class D amps but in general no the type of amp does not make much of a difference.
Hey Navin, Isnt it that Class D amps produce lesser heat compared to Class A/B/AB amps?

What are other differences between different classes of amp?
Old 11th June 2008, 17:49   #8269
BHPian

Quote:
Ever hear a good small 6" woofer (like the Dynaaudio 17W75 or ScanSpeak 18W8xxx series) in a small monitor speaker style box? Notice that even with such a small speaker Stanley Clarke's bass is very discerable and one can actually hear the impact of when his fingers hit or slide on the strings? This is what you need to look for. Indian acoustic music is very demanding. Listen to the instruments live and you will hear what you need to listen for when you listen to them over a stereo.
Thanks Navin, that was a very informative post. Yes every listening, to every system from cheap, mass production, entry level to high end is an experience. Your post really is an inspiring one to listen more to whatever possible. Though I have only a pair entry level speakers at home, but way better than cheap and mass spreaded common brands, have wondered how efective they reproduce sweet and tight bass/mids/highs with their 6" woofers and horn tweeter against some big sized speakers. Wish I could afford a pair of Alexandia or Watt Puppys
Old 11th June 2008, 18:03   #8270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Thanks Navin, that was a very informative post. Your post really is an inspiring one to listen more to whatever possible.
Even i vote for it.
Now i am fan of Navinji,his posts are always meaningful and to the point. I am in this forum from feb only but has gained knowledge of many years.I have made many amps,speaker boxes but i have got answers to many old questions after coming to this forum.

Sorry its OT

Last edited by mohang_j : 11th June 2008 at 18:05.
Old 11th June 2008, 21:37   #8271

Hi All,

After a long hiatus and lot of research (thanks to team bhp) i got the following ICE installation done for my Santro

JBL Comp GTO 607
Polk Audio Co-ax
Panasonic Amp PA 4003
JBL Sub Woofer 1204B
Earthquake Wiring
HU Sony 670UB

Costed me around 35k.....

Purchase and Installation @ Sprocket, Koramangala.

Now for the saddest part - The problems galore @ Sprocket started. The installation done by Sprocket was third graded. Firstly, they took 5 hours for installation, started at around 4.30pm and completed at 9.30pm. To my nightmare i saw all the panels which they removed for wiring were not fixed back (not even single screw was put). The panel next to the driver seat was literally hanging out. The component speakers were fixed on the front door which was again a shoddy installation. I notified the same and they changed the installation with a mould on the door. I have made 4 visits to their showroom coz of their screw ups. Now, after all this my left component speaker has stopped working. I hv made numerous calls reqst them to get someone to fix the same, but in vain.

To top it all the plank fixed for the co-ax vibrates a lot. I went to sprocket with a lot of expectations but came out disappointed.

Now, I humbly reqst all to help me.

Do you think I hv to get the damping done for the vibrating to stop. Also, I want to get my left comp working, Is there someone who can fix it.
Old 11th June 2008, 23:25   #8272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Hey Navin, Isnt it that Class D amps produce lesser heat compared to Class A/B/AB amps? What are other differences between different classes of amp?
Yes Class D amps are far more efficient than Class AB amps and hence generate less heat. The primairy difference is in the design and construction of their power supplies. I am not well versed in Class D to elaborate with authority though. Maybe the Gurus can help.

Quote:
Your post really is an inspiring one to listen more to whatever possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Even i vote for it.
Now i am fan of Navinji,his posts are always meaningful and to the point.
Thanks red and mohan. I try to be careful and not get too technical. If you look at my earlier posts you will note that I often needed translators (a role ably performed by Sam and Bass & Trouble).

Try to listen to as much live music as you can. I even go to live concerts of music I dont normally listen to (such as Hindustani Classical just to feel the timber fo the instruments).

Quote:
Wish I could afford a pair of Alexandia or Watt Puppys
If you get the chance listen to
Wilson Audio
Vandersteen
B&W 800 series
Wilson Benesch
JM Labs/Focal Utopia series
Sonus Faber
KEF's bigger speakers 105, 104, 107, 207 etc..
Martin Logan
etc...
each of these have thier own sonic signature. there are dozens of smaller manufactures like Dunlavy, Epos, etc.. that also produce nice designs.
Old 11th June 2008, 23:39   #8273
BHPian

please goto EVO-blueraven if you can.i think the bhpian above has been there(alternatively contact "blueraven" on this forum)
Compo not working , please get wiring checked and then the crossover
Mods this should be moved elsewhere "maybe in ask the gurus section"
Old 12th June 2008, 11:12   #8274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I have only a pair entry level speakers at home, .....with their 6" woofers and horn tweeter against some big sized speakers.
Which speakers do you have? With a horn-loaded tweeter?
Old 12th June 2008, 12:23   #8275
Senior - BHPian

something klipsch. forgot which one
Old 12th June 2008, 12:43   #8276
Distinguished - BHPian

A Klipschorn? *Sam sits up, all wide eyed*

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th June 2008 at 12:46.
Old 12th June 2008, 13:09   #8277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Class D amps are far more efficient than Class AB amps and hence generate less heat. The primairy difference is in the design and construction of their power supplies. I am not well versed in Class D to elaborate with authority though. Maybe the Gurus can help.
I am NOT a guru by a long shot.
Just another has-been DIY guy!

Class D amps differ not just in the power supply, but also in the operating mode of the amp itself. The whole amp works in switching mode. Pulse width modulation is used and more often than not the output stages will be MOSFETs.
Performance matches good Class AB designs and heat dissipation is very low. Efficiencies of 90% are achievable.
And, as someone wanted to know, the damping factors are VERY impressive, making these amps very desirable for bass.

BIG negative: Class D amps are not DIY friendly!

And who mentioned "klipsch something"!!??? I sat up too, not just Uncle Sam!
Old 12th June 2008, 13:32   #8278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Klipschorn --- Floorstanding Loudspeaker - Klipsch Heritage Series

This one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

BIG negative: Class D amps are not DIY friendly!
But why ?

Why it is not DIY friendly.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th June 2008 at 14:14.
Old 12th June 2008, 13:43   #8279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
A Klipschorn
Quote:
their 6" woofers and horn tweeter
Klipsch makes smaller speakers than the Klipschorn like the RB 61. I have not heard their recent speakers but their Cornwall, La Scala, Belle, Chorus, Forte, and Hersey were good. I am/was a great fan of them and the amps they liked best were Bryston or Rowland.

Today Klipsch owns Energy, Jamo, Mirage and Athena. Niels Jespersen (Sam might know him) orchestrates their marketing. :-)
Old 12th June 2008, 13:51   #8280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Which speakers do you have? With a horn-loaded tweeter?
Peace guys, its just an entry level one, not the one you think . Its a pair of Klipsch RF-15 Reference floor standers featuring

"high frequency horn5" square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks