Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 15:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I got myself the Jabra SP700 Bluetooth Speakerphone the other day from Croma. At 5.4K, its not cheap but it does pack a punch for the price.

The Jabra SP700 is one in-car speakerphone that is also compatible with stereo Bluetooth (A2DP). This means you can stream music wirelessly from a stereo Bluetooth-capable phone to the SP700.

Apart from this, you also get an additional feature, that of transmitting your calls or music via an FM transmitter to your car's head unit. So you have a choice of listening to music or take calls either through the unit's in-built speakerphone itself or through your car's speakers.
Hey this looks nice.

Now I dont know much about these gadgets so can I clear a few doubts.

1. This gadget sticks to your visor.
2. You can listen to ipod, CD or FM or whatever like you normally do. Alternately you may even listen to music stored on your mobile via the FM transimitter built into the Jabber (oops Jabra - they really should have named it Jabber).
3. While any of the above sources of music are playing, when a call comes in it announces the call over the speakers. It does this by getting the information (about the call) from your mobile and transmitting the same to the car radio via FM.
4. I assume it also signals the system to lower it's volume (or pause) so you can hear the annoucement.
5. You hit a button (where I am not sure) to take the call and another button (again I am not sure) to reject the call.
6. When the call is over (or rejected) the car system resumes where stopped (paused).

Am I right in guessing this?

Q: if the Jabra communicates to the HU via FM, and, the source chosen is not the FM (ipod or CD instead); how does the information transmitted from the Jabra to the HU (FM) get relayed to the speakers?

Last edited by navin : 15th September 2009 at 15:59.
Old 16th September 2009, 01:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
When I receive a call, the SP700 announces the caller's no and also plays your actual ringtone from the phone on the unit itself.
When I said 'unit', I meant the device itself and not the head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Hey this looks nice.

Now I dont know much about these gadgets so can I clear a few doubts.

1. This gadget sticks to your visor.
2. You can listen to ipod, CD or FM or whatever like you normally do. Alternately you may even listen to music stored on your mobile via the FM transimitter built into the Jabber (oops Jabra - they really should have named it Jabber).
3. While any of the above sources of music are playing, when a call comes in it announces the call over the speakers. It does this by getting the information (about the call) from your mobile and transmitting the same to the car radio via FM.
4. I assume it also signals the system to lower it's volume (or pause) so you can hear the annoucement.
5. You hit a button (where I am not sure) to take the call and another button (again I am not sure) to reject the call.
6. When the call is over (or rejected) the car system resumes where stopped (paused).

Am I right in guessing this?

Q: if the Jabra communicates to the HU via FM, and, the source chosen is not the FM (ipod or CD instead); how does the information transmitted from the Jabra to the HU (FM) get relayed to the speakers?
Navin, you got points 1 & 2 perfectly right. Points 3, 4 & 6 are where even I wished the bluetooth kit was that advanced, but it isn't so. Here is what happens when I get a call -

(If I wish to take the call on my car's speakers ) :-
1] The device announces the caller's Phone no. and also plays my phone's ringer tone
2] I now get a choice to transmit the call via FM to the car's HU and thus the speakers by clicking on a button meant for the same on the left side of the device.
3] The next step is to switch to the FM channel on the HU where I have stored the SP700's frequency.
4] Once on that channel, I then receive the call by clicking on the device. The device does have dedicated buttons for receiving/ending calls. Instead, you can click anywhere on the front of the device and it will take/end calls. This is probably done so as to avoid too much distraction for the driver. However, I am not sure if there is a way to reject a call. Have not tried that.

Alternatively, at times I click on the FM button on the device when I am about to start my journey. That way, when I get a call, they get routed directly to the speakers and all I have to do is switch the FM channel on my HU and then click on the device to receive my call. But there is a downside to this. Because the FM transmitter is already sending signals to your HU even before you receive a call, you will not get to hear the incoming call announcement on the device. So you would have to be tuned to the FM channel when receiving a call to hear the call announcement. Ofcourse, the phone will ring in this case, alerting you about the call.

Actually here is something that would give more clarity on how the SP700 does its job :-

Jabra SP700 // Ver. 7.0
Old 17th September 2009, 05:51   #18
BHPian

Arrey missed it buddy. I was thinking i would be first one to post the review of this Jabra speaker on t-bhp since ordered it last month from US and will be getting it by this weekend.
Actually i was thinking of ordering blutooth adapter for my kenwood HU but then came across this Jabra Bluetooth Speakerphone which costs lower than the Kenwood BT100. So ordered it from ebay for 29$. Congrats to you for great purchase.
Another relative will be coming from US end of the next week. Will order couple of more of it if i find it good.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:58   #19
BHPian

Does it make sense to go for a HU with BT integrated , or with a HU with Jabra ?

Any idea about how much Blaupaunkt costs with BT ?

Thanks a ton

PS: I am more inclined towards HU with BT integrated because of a number of steps on Jabra. Just my 2 cents
Old 17th September 2009, 15:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Points 3, 4 & 6 are where even I wished the bluetooth kit was that advanced, but it isn't so.
1] The device announces the caller's Phone no.
2] I now get a choice to transmit the call via FM
3] The next step is to switch to the FM channel
4] Once on that channel, I then receive the call by clicking on the device. The device does have dedicated buttons for receiving/ending calls.

So you would have to be tuned to the FM channel when receiving a call to hear the call announcement.
Terrible. And what I was asking for was the intuitive way (atleast for a dumbo like me). The unit's speaker can hardly be expected to he heard above the din of car audio system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Does it make sense to go for a HU with BT integrated , or with a HU with Jabra ?
Ofcoursem this Jabra unit is just an add on for HUs that do not have Bluetooth.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
So ordered it from ebay for 29$. Congrats to you for great purchase.
That is a great price superbhikhari (that is a funny handle). Congrats on the buy.

Quote:

Thanks a ton

PS: I am more inclined towards HU with BT integrated because of a number of steps on Jabra. Just my 2 cents
Of course, a HU with integrated bluetooth is a better option. I did not wish to replace my HU and hence bought it.

There are quite a few steps involved, but only if you wish to use your car's speakers. If you take/end calls on the device itself, all it requires is a simple click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Terrible. And what I was asking for was the intuitive way (atleast for a dumbo like me). The unit's speaker can hardly be expected to he heard above the din of car audio system.

Ofcoursem this Jabra unit is just an add on for HUs that do not have Bluetooth.
Yes, even I wish it was more intuitive. However, I play my music reasonably loud. I am a noob as far as ICE is concerned but I do have a basic ICE setup with a sub. Inspite of this, I have'nt yet missed a call. I guess the unit being right above your head makes it easier for you to hear the call announcement and it is loud enough at it.

Also, apart from being an addition to a HU without an integrated Bluetooth, I think this device is more useful in cars fitted with O.E.M head units that cannot be replaced.

Last edited by roms : 18th September 2009 at 12:33.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:40   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Typically the Jabra 700 would make sense for those with high end head end systems with integrated stering contols but no bluetooth etc that just cannot be replaced with an after market system with Bluetooth integrated.

The Accord, Laura, I10, I20 etc fall in this category, older Merc, BMW etc. also would fall in this cateogory.

These cars actually talk about integration with mobile phone though the aux port and muting of system when there is an incomming call, but somehow its hard to get the interfacing gear to make them work.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57 costs around INR8K with B&W. It works superbly. I have installed a one in my i10 and everytime I get into i10, my cell pairs automatically with HU (ofcourse after initial pairing at time of installation).

takecare and drive safely
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:48   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are quite a few steps involved, but only if you wish to use your car's speakers. If you take/end calls on the device itself, all it requires is a simple click. Yes, even I wish it was more intuitive. However, I play my music reasonably loud. I am a noob as far as ICE is concerned but I do have a basic ICE setup with a sub. Inspite of this, I have'nt yet missed a call. I guess the unit being right above your head makes it easier for you to hear the call announcement and it is loud enough at it. .
Point taken. I guess I should not knock it untill I try it! :-)
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:57   #25
Team-BHP Support

One more advantage of this is if you drive more than one car. All you need to do is unclip and fix to the other car's visor.
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:32   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
One more advantage of this is if you drive more than one car. All you need to do is unclip and fix to the other car's visor.
Viddy why do that. Just get one for each car. That what you do for your ipods right?
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:10   #27
BHPian

The Best is I use Pioneer Bluetooth with my PIoneer 7650UB.. I can sync contacts with HU, last dialled, recieved everything gets registered. When my Nokia bluetooh is on it automatically connects, But since the time i have bought Iphone it doesnt connect automatically i have to search it everytime.. And as it is am buying a new car which already would be having damn kenwood HU... So bye bye.. to bluetooth HU connectivity. lolz...
Old 24th September 2009, 00:00   #28
BHPian

We are shortly going to get a new law that would mean that talking on a phone while driving will result in a hefty ticket. Hence have been looking into these products. The one that I really found interesting is Parrot CK3000 (Parrot - Hands free systems). It needs a custom harness to integrate with your factory HU but its the closest you can get to blue and me kind of functionality.

Downside is that with harness and installation, pricing of this kit comes very close to a bluetooth HU. Tough choice there!
Old 28th September 2009, 18:54   #29
BHPian

Croma in chennai don't have stock of this Jabra and they are not sure when they will get one any other place in Chennai where i can get this model ? pease help me as i am planning to buy it comming week.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Check out Ebay Global Easy Buy. Even after Intl + Domestic S&H, its coming out to be way cheaper than Croma.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks