Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:54   #31
BHPian

Re: i20 - Aftermarket HeadUnit possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Adding an aftermarket HU doesn't seem that simple, since the controls are integrated into the fascia, and there are other controls on the fascia as well. Even swapping the Fascia with the lower variants will end up with loss of functionality apparently\
Have you checked out the fascia's? My guess is that the new facia would be the entire hexagonal silver part without the central part, like the old ones.
The OEM HU would most likely be the black part joined superficially with the buttons below it.
Old 26th October 2012, 15:11   #32
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2012 at 19:09.
Alive2Drive is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th July 2013, 18:34   #33
BHPian

2012 Hyundai i20 - Makeshift Music System

Hi,

I have a 2012 Hyundai i20 Magna Petrol which came with Front Speakers & Tweeters but without any Music System. I'm curious to know if I can find some converter which can pair up with my iPod to my ride more pleasant.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 26th July 2013, 20:54   #34
BHPian

Re: 2012 Hyundai i20 - Makeshift Music System

Dont quote me on this as i am not too sure if this will work( The gurus could correct me on this! but my suggestion was get one these connectors LINK and connect the speaker wire direct to the speaker, not too sure if the rca is not just output or can it take input too. then get a Aux cord with one side 3.5mm and the other with the Red and white jack.
Old 26th July 2013, 23:59   #35
BHPian

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've seen in the past that the Speaker Output is a Socket (Female) which on connecting with Music System Input (Male) makes the System work (excuse me if it's not completely accurate).

I was trying to check if ti's possible on those lines.

Thanks!
Old 27th July 2013, 10:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevendraG View Post
... 2012 Hyundai i20 Magna Petrol which came with Front Speakers & Tweeters but without any Music System. I'm curious to know if I can find some converter which can pair up with my iPod to my ride more pleasant. ...
@DevendraG, the power output of the iPod at the EP socket is just about sufficient to drive a pair of headphones or the internal speaker. The same power given to the components (the "Front Speakers & Tweeters" in your car is called a set of components) would be grossly insufficient to produce any sound. To be able to listen through the speakers, you will need to use an amplifier.

What you want can be done in one of 2 ways:

1. Conventional way: You need to get a Head Unit which goes into the central console. The HU should be capable of talking to an iPod over USB. The HU output will be connected to the components. Most HUs contain a CD drive, but there are HUs that operate, apart from an FM/AM receiver, only with USB and Aux-in (to accept a cable that connects to the EP socket of a mobile phone or personal music player)
If you connect the iPod using the standard interface cable to USB, you can control playback at the HU, keeping the iPod hidden inside the glove box

2. Amplifier only: Some amplifiers, rare - not all, accept a direct Aux-in input to which you can connect the EP output of your iPod with a cable. The output of the amplifier is connected to the components / rear speakers
The disadvantage will be that you will not be able to use any other source of music, other than iPod

IMHO you will be better off getting a decent disc-less HU (Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Blaupunkt etc.) installed in your car. This should cost roughly 4-6K, depending on the features. The dealer you buy it from will install it in your car for free. There is no cutting of wires involved - there are standard connectors provided in the car (harness connector) to connect to speakers, battery, ignition switch etc. If the installer is trying to cut any wires, ask him not to do that.

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th July 2013 at 10:51.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 13:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Attachment 990780
this is from a friend of mine's asta.
Adding an aftermarket HU doesn't seem that simple, since the controls are integrated into the fascia, and there are other controls on the fascia as well. Even swapping the Fascia with the lower variants will end up with loss of functionality apparently

Any options?
Hi Greenhorn,

I also have the new 2013 Hyundai i20 Asta. I wanted to fit a touch screen HU by replacing the standard fitment.

I realised that the panel is a bit different in the new i20. it has two cut-outs one for the black buttons and CD tray and second for the knobs and buttons (these are not integrated into the facia. You will realise this when you remove the facia panel). Hope I could explain this to you as I had not clicked pictures of it.

There are no panels available in the market to replace this. One option suggested to me was to cut-out the panel. I was against this and left out the plan to have a touch screen HU and saved some money.

Offlate Hyundai is trying its best to make it difficult for customers to go for after-market audio. At one hand they give music system with most of the models (even at lowest level) and second is creating panels which neads major modification in case one wants to change the HU.

Tejas
tejas.negandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 08:23   #38
BANNED

HU suggestion for i20

Hi All,

I have just bought a i20 sportz of 2010 for which i am looking for a HU upgrade. i had swift vdi and i have retained the Kicker component speakers (2nos) +back 2 nos , Pioneer 4 channel model 6300 and kenwood 12inch woofer.

I want a good 2din Hu to match it and i was having a Alpine in my swift and i want to go for alpine again. please suggest me models that are compatible with steering controls as well.

i can get this from UK or US or Singapore so please let me the model and where is it is cheaper too.

Thanks in advance
Old 4th February 2014, 22:30   #39
BHPian

Hi Josh,

I suggest try new Pioneer series and there is a connector available which will enable your steering mount controls.

I am suggesting Pioneer for two reasons, one it is quick in loading pen drives, has good touch and max compatibility with phones

Second it has 3 pre-outs which are a necessity for all your hardware connections

Tejas
Old 12th February 2014, 21:55   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas.negandhi View Post
Hi Josh,

I suggest try new Pioneer series and there is a connector available which will enable your steering mount controls.

I am suggesting Pioneer for two reasons, one it is quick in loading pen drives, has good touch and max compatibility with phones

Second it has 3 pre-outs which are a necessity for all your hardware connections

Tejas
Could you also suggest me a good model of the pioneer? the reason why i didnt look at it was due to poor fit and finish and quality of the graphics it has
Old 12th February 2014, 23:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Could you also suggest me a good model of the pioneer? the reason why i didnt look at it was due to poor fit and finish and quality of the graphics it has
Hi Josh,

Pioneer's best is AVH-X8590BT. In case you feel its expensive, you can look at AVH-X2590BT.

There are some new introductions this year, but haven't heard those play.

Kindly note: None of the Pioneers in India have nav features

Most Viewed