Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 16:44   #1
BHPian

ICEing up the wagon!

Well I have always been one of those irrational guys around. Going by my gut , my heart and my instinct and very few times by my mind. Most times they have served me well or taught me some real valuable lessons when they haven't. They say there's no substitute to experience and my car has been a part of this journey on a few occassions atleast. Don't really know why I typed the above but what the heack, I felt like sharing it.

There have only been three real interests/ pastimes in my life so far that have stayed on for quite a considerable portion of my 3 decades of existence so far and they are:
  • Music - collecting and listening (rock to raaga - blues, calssic rock, fusion, carnatic, hindustani, country, and house)
  • Photography
  • Design/Art (cars, helmets,bikes, fighterplanes, logos, graphics.....you get the drift)
Along this journey came my first ride (hero ranger) , then the Kinetic honda and the WAGON R. She was bought by my dad on new years eve 2001 and was in our parking lot the day I returned from my first holiday in Goa at 21.It sure was an unpleasant surprise as I had spent a few weeks test driving every option out there and had voted for the Palio 1.6 and then had given up the hope of seeing a new car in our house after quite a few years of not owning one.

He went with his head and a friend, and they both jointly picked up 2 wagons (pride edition bread box with alloy wheels!!) for a good deal. I so hated the first sight of the car till I drove it, and over the years I have thoroughly appreciated its work horse like, understated performance. Have been through a lot with her (life wise and journey wise) and she still has just 35k on the odo.

I could not afford a great sound system those days so all she had to date was a 'plane jane' pioneer cd/mp3 HU (think its a fake, not sure, bought with pocket money collected over time) that was a replacement for a sony tape unit and sony speakers all around. Would envy those rich kids with their pio systems, eqs, tweeters and subs and would wait for the day when I could get me own.

Took a good 7-8 years when the Linea came along and took pride of place in my stable and demanded I do up the ICE! The Linea ICE journey had begun. Searching the forum for product recommendations, the net for deals, bugging pals to get down the gear....till one day..when it all changed.

The wagon had been forgotten even though she has remained my daily steed to work and shop in B'lores chaotic traffic. Small is King and she called out silently to my heart at the workshop as the Linea's door was being opened up and as the installer began to find a way to open up the center console and silently pleaded for her to be looked at, attended to and considered for recognition after years of faithful service.

Last edited by pranava999 : 7th October 2009 at 16:48.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:01   #2
BHPian

So long a teaser :(
Waiting for the next post
Old 7th October 2009, 18:32   #3
BHPian

Teaser - Part 2

So when the installer was finding it tough to get the centre console off, a thought hit me. I have spent a good lot of my savings in collecting up the required equipment all in the pursuit of listening to my favourite tracks in a decent SQ set-up and the weakest link in the SQ chain would be the stock HU, even after integrating the DSP.

Do I really I want to tamper with the unfamiliar electricals of the Linea and risk messing things up, especially since there is very little out there to read up on and since the media player and the Blue and me is also connected. What about voiding warranties in the near future??yes! I was a little worried. More than anything else the Linea is not even my daily ride because of the chaos out there and thats when I needed my music the most!

So took a quick U turn and told the installer, lets ditch the install on the Linea, lets leave it stock except for replacing the front coaxials with the Illusion coaxials. Lets just do up the Wagon R instead!

"The wagon's doors will have to be worked on! The panels will have to be cut out to accomodate the 6.1 comps, there will be a little FG work involved as well. are you sure about this?" - "Oh hell yeah!lets do this and in time we will get a decent HU as well and complete the chain!"

Feels like I/m getting back to those college years!

The car is now in the garage for a little 'pimping up' as they say. The list includes:
  • Doing up the clutch
  • Changing brake pads
  • A new set of alloys and rubber
  • The ICE
    • Front components - Illusion electra 6.1
    • The amplifier - Alpine PDX 5
    • The subwoofer - Illusion Audio Luccent IM 12 subwoofer
    • Rear Coaxials- TBD
    • HU - Old Pioneer unknown model - to be replaced soon! Suggestions welcome!! (need is a SQ oriented HU with pre outs and my budget is a max 10-11k, don't need no Blue tooth , just an aux in and USB)

Last edited by pranava999 : 7th October 2009 at 18:39.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:39   #4
BHPian

Great choice of equipment.

I'd love to have more details on the installation of Illusions 6.1 in the front doors. MDF rings / damping / placement etc etc

Keep it coming!
Old 7th October 2009, 18:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Great choice of equipment.

I'd love to have more details on the installation of Illusions 6.1 in the front doors. MDF rings / damping / placement etc etc

Keep it coming!
The install is slated to happen in a day or two. Will update accordingly. Its all happened at the spur of a moment today, so will be sitting down tomorrow with the installer and work on the options, locations , etc. Gonna be an argumentative one.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

All the best with the Wagon R ICE.

Search in this forum using advanced search title only option for Wagon*
You might find some interesting stuff.
I esp love the space saver install thread
Old 7th October 2009, 19:01   #7
BHPian

@BBlost - Have already looked at the space saver install thread and did like it. However am not really keen on saving any space. The car is being readied for listening pleasure. Nothing fancy or innovative. Just the usual but its all new and exciting to me as its my first proper mature(for whatever it's worth) ICEing tryst.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:20   #8
BHPian

Installed the following audio components on my new WagonR LXI DUO :

1. Pioneer HU - 3050UB - Rs.5800
2. Pioneer 2 way co-axial 4" front speakers on the dash - Rs.1100
3. Pioneer TS200 Tweeters near the sunshade - 10 year old trusty piece
4. Infinity Reference Series 9623i - 6x9 on a pre-wired particle board tray in the rear - Rs.6500
5. Sony Xplod -2 Channel amplifier - Rs.3500 - 4 years back

The Rear Infinity speakers and the Pioneer Tweeters are powered by the Sony amp. The sound quality is clean, the bass is tight, as the Infinity's can be set at different decibel ratings and the treble response good from the active tweeters.

Look forward to you completing the install and the review, Pranav

Last edited by sats : 7th October 2009 at 19:23.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:47   #9
BHPian

All the best with Wagon R Ice pranava. Good equipments. Can you mention the cost please (each equipment)?? Who is the installer??

Check my thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...y-wagon-r.html
Old 7th October 2009, 19:55   #10
BHPian

@Pranava999, Where is the install happening in Bangalore?
Old 7th October 2009, 20:06   #11
BHPian

@mnhegde , shreyasama - Install is happening in a cousin's garage. He does not install car audio for a living anymore, except once in a while for close friends or relatives.

More into performance tuning, servicing, home and commercial AV installs, etc. Am bound by his need for privacy and have been asked not to mention his name here. Sorry guys.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
@mnhegde , shreyasama - Install is happening in a cousin's garage. He does not install car audio for a living anymore, except once in a while for close friends or relatives.

More into performance tuning, servicing, home and commercial AV installs, etc. Am bound by his need for privacy and have been asked not to mention his name here. Sorry guys.
No Problem Mate.

If your cousin is okay, try and post some WIP pics. Else, the finished pics are always welcome.

Good luck
Old 8th October 2009, 15:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Pranav waiting for the install pics. Please update us soon with the progress.
Old 8th October 2009, 19:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

I thought Pranava was doing a total 'search and find' process for a Linea. Or did I see someone else trying to ICE the linea ? So Linea is left alone and Wagon has taken that place !

I had my previous car (Wagon) ICEd and damped (Dynamat Xtreme) burning around 40k in a span of 1 month, now I am desperately struggling to ICE my Fiesta with a budget less than 30k. How I wish I had my ICE removed when I sold the car !! Unfortunately the buyer happen to see and feel the ICE and never wanted the car without it. My bad luck. Now I am forced to compromise on budget but strictly not on quality.

Hoping to see your install in couple of days and the comments that would follow the new set-up. Trust me, whatever quality stuff you plonk into a wagonR, if damping is not done, its a total waste of money.
Old 8th October 2009, 23:51   #15
BHPian

Thanks Shaju. Will look into it.

The update so far is that a lot of the mechanical work has been completed. The clutch, the brakes and the suspension have been worked on. New set of alloys and tyres have also been added.

The ICE goes in tomorrow but sadly won't be there when its getting done as I have a busy day ahead.

Yes I was the one who was fervently looking at ICEing my Linea but droppd the plans last minute. Rather have put it on hold for a bit as the Linea is sparingly used by me and most of the time by the rest of the family, so it made sense to me to have the ICE in my daily ride! When I do decide to ICE the Linea, will move the amp and the sub to it, and invest only bare minimum for sure! The plan is to run the wagon for another 20k-25k kms.

Most Viewed