Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2013, 10:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading ICE on i20 - lot of doubts !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
Yup, you can just hook the AMP directly, a lil cleaner then the converter itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Would this give the same output as hooking up a converter would? ie
Does HU > Converter > Amp vs HU > Amp with speaker level input give you the same output? I was told a direct hookup to the amp from the HU would mean screaming audio(in a bad way) because of the high level input.
Only a few amps, for example the Kenwood M846 and JBL GTO 5EZ (not sure if available in India), accept speaker-level inputs directly. They have the equivalent of LOC built-in.

And no, they don't give 'screaming audio' at all. The concept of LOC (external or built-in) wouldn't be present in the market if so. Whoever said that it gives bad output hasn't seen / heard it.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 14:36   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Only a few amps, for example the Kenwood M846 and JBL GTO 5EZ (not sure if available in India), accept speaker-level inputs directly. They have the equivalent of LOC built-in.

And no, they don't give 'screaming audio' at all. The concept of LOC (external or built-in) wouldn't be present in the market if so. Whoever said that it gives bad output hasn't seen / heard it.
DerAlte, have you heard of the Focal Solid 4? Seems this too has speaker level inputs. Is it the same as a built in LOC?

Personally, I find Focal to be a much better brand than JBL or Kenwood.
Old 13th August 2013, 16:21   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Seems this too has speaker level inputs. Is it the same as a built in LOC? ...
Yes, it has. And yes - that is a built in LOC.

Quote:
... Personally, I find Focal to be a much better brand than JBL or Kenwood.
Individual choice. I am not sure of the "better brand" part (Focal cannot compare with the size of Kenwood and JBL/Harman), but yes some of their products may be really good for many people.
Old 14th August 2013, 09:17   #94
BHPian

As always, thanks DerAlte.

I wonder why people bother with high lo converters when most new amps accept speaker level inputs
Old 20th August 2013, 23:47   #95
BHPian

I have added a kenwood KAC series amp and kenwood 12" subwoofer basstube to the OEM HU of my 2011 i20. This was done one and half years back and it was working fine. Recently I have changed the HU to pioneer AVX model and now there are some small issues with the sound output. The door panel (where the OE speakers mounted) starts vibrating when increasing the volume level beyound 10 points. Also lost the real punch/beat from the sub woofer which I was getting earlier.

What could be the problem and how could I fix it.?
Old 21st August 2013, 11:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
... What could be the problem and how could I fix it.?
When you changed the HU, did you retune the system? What was the HU earlier - OE?
Old 21st August 2013, 12:14   #97
BHPian

Quote:
When you changed the HU, did you retune the system?
I have purchased the HU online and fixed it from a near by accessories shop. I hope the guy who has done the installation has got some experience in this area but I never think that he is a well-trained professional. He has done the retuning but it is not up to the mark.

Quote:
What was the HU earlier - OE?
There is no visible badging anywhere in the OEM HU but I read in some forum that i20 came with kenwood HU.
Old 21st August 2013, 16:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
... He has done the retuning but it is not up to the mark. ...
That's OK, you can retune it yourself. The simple tuning instructions are there on many threads in the ICE section - please search. You only need a small screwdriver and a companion.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 03:02   #99
BHPian

Hi,

I plan to upgrade the ICE in my i20 magna. I plan to install it myself, and probably in stages due to budget constraints.

As of now I have finalized the following items.

Front Components - ordered a set of Rainbow Dreamlines DL 6.2, should come in by tomorrow

Amp - Bought a Infinity Kappa 4 from Sonic Electronix, my sister will bring it down by mid october. I plan to bridge two channels to run a sub, approx 300W RMS to power a sub.

Head Unit - I want to maintain the look of the dashboard. Would have loved to get a touchscreen headunit and integrate reverse parking camera and other frills, but then I wouldn't get a headunit with good SQ and DSP features such as TA. So I have decided to get the jvc kw-r900bt. Gurus can provide inputs on this

Also, to I tried asking Hyundai Service guys if I can source the double din Facia from them. However, they do not have it. Would be great if someone could tell me where to source it from in Mumbai.

Sub - No idea, I plan to convert my car to CNG next week, so will have very limited/negligible boot space to play around with.
Based on how much space is available, I was thinking to either do a custom FG install on one side or mount the sub on the parcel tray.
A third and relatively simple option is to use a shallow mount sub.
I do not like very strong and overpowering bass. Want the bass to be musical and complimentary to the mids and highs.

Wiring - Ground and power will be Finolex. RCA - gladen/monster/Scoche/(whatever fits in budget). Speaker cable - audison/kicker/scoche

Damping - Wouldn't be able to afford dynamat, so mostly it will be between Noise Kill and Dampmat. Don't know which one is better.

Inputs are welcomed
Old 20th September 2014, 00:08   #100
BHPian

Hello, dunno if anyone's still active here, I have recently bought a new HU, Blaupunkt Las Vegas 530, for my 2010 i20 asta. The stock one didn't have Bluetooth connectivity & I badly needed one. The best part is it comes with a provision to configure the steering mounted controls. I have volume up down, track changing, mute and source changing buttons on my steering and all of them work properly. 21100 with bill & warranty from Milan subway.
Old 18th October 2015, 11:43   #101
BHPian

i20 (i-Gen) ICE Upgrade

Hi Gurus,

My i20 Sportz (i-Gen) has just completed 3 years and am planning for an ICE upgrade now. My budget is 15K (max I can stretch is till 20K). After going through the forums, this is what I am planning to setup -
- JBL GT6-266C / GTO609C or Infinity Reference 6530CS components in front
- JBL GT6-S699 / GTO949 or Infinity Reference 9633I 6x9 in rear
- JBL GT-X646 4ch amplifier (I am not keen on a sub due to space issues)

Does this setup look good or does it need any tweaking? How if I go with a combination of Infinity (rear) and Polk Audio (front components)? Also is it worth retaining the rear door speakers since I will be setting up 6x9 in rear?

Currently I am based in Pune, and planning to get this done at Poona Motors, Camp. If there is any other dealer as well that you can advice, that will be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th October 2015, 23:28   #102
BHPian

Re: i20 (i-Gen) ICE Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonification View Post
Hi Gurus,

My i20 Sportz (i-Gen) has just completed 3 years and am planning for an ICE upgrade now. My budget is 15K (max I can stretch is till 20K). After going through the forums, this is what I am planning to setup -
- JBL GT6-266C / GTO609C or Infinity Reference 6530CS components in front
- JBL GT6-S699 / GTO949 or Infinity Reference 9633I 6x9 in rear
- JBL GT-X646 4ch amplifier (I am not keen on a sub due to space issues)

Does this setup look good or does it need any tweaking? How if I go with a combination of Infinity (rear) and Polk Audio (front components)? Also is it worth retaining the rear door speakers since I will be setting up 6x9 in rear?

Currently I am based in Pune, and planning to get this done at Poona Motors, Camp. If there is any other dealer as well that you can advice, that will be great.

Thanks in advance.
My suggestion would be infinity over the JBL .
I have infinty kappa components in front and Polk coaxials in rear and I find them adequate . No idea about Polk components though .
Jbl 4 channel amp should be good enough to get the best out of the choices mentioned by you .

If you are buying online then you can check the infinity reference 6500 in snapdeal .

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/infini...nt/659144?tag=
soumen.blore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks