Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 12:22   #61
BHPian

iGen i20 Asta Petrol - ICE suggestions w/o HU change

Hi guys

I will be taking delivery of my new iGen i20 Asta early next week, and change the ICE is the first order of business. The car is to be driven primarily by my Father and he generally just listens to Hindi songs, mostly oldies.
I on the other hand listen to EDM, and even though I won't be driving or traveling in the i20 much, but when I do I will not be able to take mediocre sound quality.

As always, we don't really have a defined budget, but would like too get good quality but VFM at the same time, so no brands below JBL I guess (I'm a noob in this area). I don't think my dad would like it if I crossed 10-15k.

We just want to get the speakers change as of now and not add any amp.

What set of speakers can I look at for the front (I think it comes with tweeters) and the back?

Also, I'm planning to get dampening done on the doors with Dampmat. Is that advisable? And how many sheets would it take?
Old 29th June 2013, 23:47   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hi guys

I will be taking delivery of my new iGen i20 Asta early next week, and change the ICE is the first order of business. The car is to be driven primarily by my Father and he generally just listens to Hindi songs, mostly oldies.
I on the other hand listen to EDM, and even though I won't be driving or traveling in the i20 much, but when I do I will not be able to take mediocre sound quality.

As always, we don't really have a defined budget, but would like too get good quality but VFM at the same time, so no brands below JBL I guess (I'm a noob in this area). I don't think my dad would like it if I crossed 10-15k.

We just want to get the speakers change as of now and not add any amp.

What set of speakers can I look at for the front (I think it comes with tweeters) and the back?

Also, I'm planning to get dampening done on the doors with Dampmat. Is that advisable? And how many sheets would it take?
Bump for help please!!!
Old 29th June 2013, 23:57   #63
BHPian

Damping would cost you around 10 to 15k for the entire car. I dont think your budget of 15k is sufficient for you to get damping and speakers along with head unit. Additionally you would need steering controls interface to activate steering controls that alone costs 4k . A nice head unit would cost you from 6k to 20k depending on your budget. Would recommend you to increase the budget and go for a revamp
Old 30th June 2013, 00:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Damping would cost you around 10 to 15k for the entire car. I dont think your budget of 15k is sufficient for you to get damping and speakers along with head unit. Additionally you would need steering controls interface to activate steering controls that alone costs 4k . A nice head unit would cost you from 6k to 20k depending on your budget. Would recommend you to increase the budget and go for a revamp
Really? That much for dampening? My civic took 1.5-2 sheets per door :( I'm looking to just dampen the door and nothing else

Also, I'm not looking to buy a new HU, just speakers as of now, coax+coax or comp+coax if possible with the current HU.

Like I said, it's my dads car, not mine so the upgrades have to be conservative but suitable for EDM.
Old 30th June 2013, 12:40   #65
BHPian

Go for comps + coaxs then. It is recommended to have an amp with comps. A decent 4 channel amp would cost you 6k +wiring kit. +damping+ steering interface definately goes above 15k
Old 30th June 2013, 13:39   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Go for comps + coaxs then. It is recommended to have an amp with comps. A decent 4 channel amp would cost you 6k +wiring kit. +damping+ steering interface definately goes above 15k
Can't go for amp right now, any good coax + coax setup?
Old 1st July 2013, 08:27   #67
BHPian

Hi guys

I recently test drove the i20 & while I'm planning on getting the car, the ICE was horrible.

I wanted to know if its possible to use the stock HU with the following from my existing car.

1 4 channel kicker amp
1 2 channel blau punkt amp
1 set of morel round door speakers
1 set of morel ovals
1 sub woofer

I was told the I would need additional rc connectors & the system wouldn't sound nearly as good as my current setup that runs off a Pioneer 3 rc out hu.

Any advice?
Old 1st July 2013, 11:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading ICE on i20 - lot of doubts !!

Quote:
Damping would cost you around 10 to 15k for the entire car. ...
No, it should cost 5-6K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
... I'm looking to just dampen the door and nothing else

... just speakers as of now, coax+coax or comp+coax if possible with the current HU. ... suitable for EDM.
Ask @monty9991 to send you some sheets of Dampmat. Don't apply on the inner wall of the doors - just the inside of the outer metal sheet, and the doorpad. Stuff CC foam / Thermocol / cotton waste in the rear hatch. Cover all loose cables and wires with CC foam sheet, and make sure they are stayed down well with good duct tape.

Components should play off of the HU quite nicely. Components (6K) and a pair of 6x9 (3-4K + replacement MDF parcel shelf) shelf should satisfy your dad and your requirements quite well.

What is EDM???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
... I wanted to know if its possible to use the stock HU with the following from my existing car. ...
Sure, go ahead and transplant the existing set into the new car.

Quote:
... I would need additional rc connectors
I doubt if the i20 stock HU has Pre-outs terminated at RCA sockets. You will need a LOC (Line Output Converter) hooked to the speaker outputs. All the rest (including RCA cables) you already have most probably.

Quote:
... the system wouldn't sound nearly as good as my current setup ...
Don't worry about better or worse at the moment. Just go ahead and get the ICE operational first. You may need to tweak the tone controls a wee bit after tuning the system.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 13:06   #69
BHPian

Hi ,

With the current setup you plan to get, you would have 2 amplifiers i presume. You would need a moderator which acts as a rca connector for stock systems. They can range from 1k up to 6k depending on the brand.

Hope this info helps.
Old 1st July 2013, 14:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is EDM???

Sure, go ahead and transplant the existing set into the new car.

I doubt if the i20 stock HU has Pre-outs terminated at RCA sockets. You will need a LOC (Line Output Converter) hooked to the speaker outputs. All the rest (including RCA cables) you already have most probably.

Don't worry about better or worse at the moment. Just go ahead and get the ICE operational first. You may need to tweak the tone controls a wee bit after tuning the system.
EDM = Electronic Dance Music I would know because that exactly what I listen to too

Actually, I had a word with my ICE guy and he has recommended the MTX RE-Q5 for my setup. He did my previous setup too and he told me that in order to support one amp that powers the back speaker and sub + one amp that powers the front speakers + the seperate out for the sub itself, I would need this

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-RE-Q5-Rest...pr_product_top

Quote:
Hi ,

With the current setup you plan to get, you would have 2 amplifiers i presume. You would need a moderator which acts as a rca connector for stock systems. They can range from 1k up to 6k depending on the brand.

Hope this info helps.
Thanks, I've been quoted about 12k for the RE-Q5 LOC 5 channel. Too much?
Old 1st July 2013, 14:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... a moderator which acts as a rca connector for stock systems ...
That is called a Line Output Converter (LOC) or sometimes "Hi to Lo converter".

Quote:
EDM = Electronic Dance Music I would know because that exactly what I listen to too ...
And I have 2 left feet!!!

Quote:
... Actually, I had a word with my ICE guy and he has recommended the MTX RE-Q5 for my setup. ...
Thanks, I've been quoted about 12k for the RE-Q5 LOC 5 channel. Too much?
I am not sure. I prefer K.I.S.S. principle, and one can easily use a normal LOC (costing 2-4K) with a Y-splitter and 2 pairs of RCA cables to connect the 2 amps. I am sure the MTX box does what it is supposed to do, but it doesn't seem VFM at that price.

Also, connect the front and rear speakers to the 4ch amp, and bridge the 2ch amp to drive the sub. That way, loud bass passages will not affect the power supply of the 4ch. The disadvantage of putting the front and sub on a 4 ch is that since it has only 1 internal power supply, loud bass can dip the voltage to the front channels - not desirable.
Old 1st July 2013, 15:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
That is called a Line Output Converter (LOC) or sometimes "Hi to Lo converter".

And I have 2 left feet!!!

I am not sure. I prefer K.I.S.S. principle, and one can easily use a normal LOC (costing 2-4K) with a Y-splitter and 2 pairs of RCA cables to connect the 2 amps. I am sure the MTX box does what it is supposed to do, but it doesn't seem VFM at that price.

Also, connect the front and rear speakers to the 4ch amp, and bridge the 2ch amp to drive the sub. That way, loud bass passages will not affect the power supply of the 4ch. The disadvantage of putting the front and sub on a 4 ch is that since it has only 1 internal power supply, loud bass can dip the voltage to the front channels - not desirable.
Thanks for the break down, I'm literally going to forward this to my guy

Just to be more specific on my current setup

Back
Ovals - Morel Tempo Coax 6x9 mounted on a wooden frame
Amp - Kicker DX200.4
Sub - 12" PowerBass Subwoofer with Wood Casing

Front
Round - 6" Morel components with tweeters
Amp - Blau Punkt dual channel

I love the setup I have because the morels in the back are practically zero bass with super clarity and they complement the subwoofer perfectly while the front components bring marginal bass and sound to the front.

I prefer my car being loud in the back and complementing in the front

Do you think what you're suggesting will help retain the same sound feel?
Old 1st July 2013, 15:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Do you think what you're suggesting will help retain the same sound feel?
Should - it is just a matter of good tuning.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:24   #74
BHPian

Quote:
No, it should cost 5-6K.

Ask @monty9991 to send you some sheets of Dampmat. Don't apply on the inner wall of the doors - just the inside of the outer metal sheet, and the doorpad. Stuff CC foam / Thermocol / cotton waste in the rear hatch. Cover all loose cables and wires with CC foam sheet, and make sure they are stayed down well with good duct tape.

Components should play off of the HU quite nicely. Components (6K) and a pair of 6x9 (3-4K + replacement MDF parcel shelf) shelf should satisfy your dad and your requirements quite well.
Is that safe? Putting cotton/foam? It would become a fire hazard wouldn't it?

I just confirmed with dad, he wants to stick to door speakers only so no rear 6x9.

Can you suggest some models I should look at for coax and comp? (I will audition a lot of them anyway)

EDM is Electronic Dance Music. In common tongue it's known as trance
(But EDM is a part of the trance and electronica Genres)
Old 1st July 2013, 16:28   #75
BHPian

Quote:
No, it should cost 5-6K.

What is EDM???
Is that safe? Wouldn't it be a fire hazard?

Just confirmed with dad, no rear speakers on parcel tray, so 6x9 is out.

Can you suggest some models?

EDM is also known as trance. But trance is quite a big genre and EDM is a sub set.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks