Team-BHP - advice on upgrading my sony system for my zen??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   advice on upgrading my sony system for my zen?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/7332-advice-upgrading-my-sony-system-my-zen-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885
well aseem its true the trunk will act as a huge box but im pretty sure the tray wont be able to bear the weight of the rears and the sub..u mean to say the tube takes more space than the box type ones..and by the way isnt the cs1200t a strap on kind..i mean its kept in the hatch by strapping it to the floor with welcrove strips is it not..

Yup. Strapped using Velcro belts.
The tube is much bigger physically than the GTO Boxes. Is easier to drive and cheaper. The box is a different, tighter sound and has a better woofer, but will need more power. I love the tube.... really i do.

well here is my setup..planning to keep my 5510 HU and the rear speakers..now for the upgrades,
1. JBL cs1200t woofer..(taking sams word into consideration that he loves the tube too)..
2. JBL gto506ce component system for the front doors..
3. JBL 505e/cs50.4 amplifier to run the components and the rears..(sam which do i go for)..
4. sony 502z amplifier to run the woofer..
guys over to u..so what changes need to be made to this setup..and btw sam if u dont mind could i use a bit of influence(ur name obviously at the JBL showroom)..waiting for ur inputs..

all sounds good. I cant understand point 3, 505e or 50.4.

Go ahead and buy the 50.4 to drive the comps and the ovals and you wont be sorry for the tube either. The sony 502 will drive it easy.

I've said it before, every TBHP member is my friend. Please go ahead and tell them you're my friend and message me here if you have a problem :)

The statement of difference between the two types has to be a qualified statement because for years a company in the UK by the name KEF and another by the name TANNOY make drive units that are co-axial by defintion but have seperate component speakers with seperate voice coils to make the high and low frequencies like your composite speakers found in majority of the speakers in India. These speakers are supposed to have the best point source capability and have the best sound stage with startling 3 dimensional effect with just two speakers without any any added geewhiz electronics from SRS labs. This is for home use but I hope I did not confuse you too much with the intricacies of the definition and the blur between the differences between the two definitions. Bye and wear your seatbelts.

Read the first line of the third paragraph
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/...rintreview.htm

McLaren you are missing one important element in your setup.

1) You havent mentioned any rear speakers
2) You have mentioned a 2lamps

Contrary to the popular belief I am an advocate of just have good front speakers for front sound staging (Devils Advocate). If you want, you can use any cheap co-axial for fillers. You shouldnt spend more than 2k on them.
I would replace the Sony 502 with Sony 504 Z. This is a 4 channel amp as opposed to the 502 being a two channel amp. It just costs just 1500 Rs more and with this you will be able to drive both your subwoofer and your components, that way you dont need another amp for your speakers. JBL CS 50.4 is an excellent amplifier for the speakers, however Sony 504Z is a perfect all rounder and for its price its a killer. It can power the tube as well and drive your speakers. The sound difference of the components with the amp would be simply magnificent. So go for the 4 channel amp and the tube. Just get rid off the CS 50.4. Rest everything else you have mentioned is absolutely correct.

well aseem i already have sony 6937(350W,3-way)speakers on the rear parcel tray..do u think it will be enough for a 4 channel(sony or jbl) amp to run the comps,the coaxials and the the tube..i know u can bridge the comps and the coaxials to 2 channels and use the other 2 for the tube..but i guess i would loose out on the fader controls right..btw do u think the fader control can bring about a change in the way the balance is setup or is it ok even if the fader is set equally..

Mc Laren if you can afford it, than go for both the amps if you want to power all your 4 speakers. Than use the fader control to set the output more to the front for better sound staging. I am sorry I had missed this part before replying to your thread before. It seems you have an ideal setup!

ok navin,sam and aseem here goes the big question..i just realised im going to get a freeflow fitted to my zen,so obviously there will be a growl from the freeflow..now will the performance of the audio setup in anyway suffer bcoz of the growl of the freeflow..bcoz the growl is nothing but noise and this noise affects the audio in someway right..is it possible to keep the growl out by using some damping materials..im sure the performance freaks on this forum will ask then y go for a freeflow if u want to keep tht growl out..but how do i strike a good balance btwn the two??
over to u experts for this..

Look, there is one very very big difference between a home audio and car audio setup. Car Audio is less critical and more fun.
And there isnt much you can do to acoustically seal the car from within. Most damping materials like Dynamat actually reduce internal vibrations and prevent the inner shell of the car sounding tinny, metallic and vibrating.
Sealing the car from EXTERNAL sounds.... well thats a different ballgame altogether.
Honestly, just turn it up when you're really gassing it down heh heh heh
It's not "safe" advice, but then even cigarettes are awful for you.
Be careful Mclaren.... Enjoy!

so all that i can do is live with both the growl and the music,no alternative what so ever sam..aseem ur views on this issue..

Quote:

forgive me for my ignorance sam but whts the difference between co-axials and components....

both coax and component speakers usually have more than 1 "driver". A driver is a component traditionally consisting of a electric element (voicel coil) suspended in a magnetic field attached to a diaphram that moves air.

each component is designed to operate over a part of the full range of freq. which when combined are supposed to cover the entire audio spectrum (about 20Hz to 20,000Hz).

to prevent distortions and destruction of these audio components we use some passive electrical correction circuits. they are passive because they dont require a power suppy of their own. these circuits consist combinations of resistors, capacitors, inductors

the primary difference between MOST coax and compnent system is: a coax speaker has all their components fitted onto one chassis and you will find the tweeter and other smaller components (drivers) fitted in the center of the woofer. a component has seperate chassis for each component (driver). Component speakers by the market they target are made from better quality materials and use more complex and better designed passive electrical correction circuits (crossovers).

there are some speakers that are not covered by this explanation most notable are:
1. Whiizer cone and full range drivers (they dont have a second component)
2. plasma drivers use high voltage to energise the ions in the air blah, blah (for home audio use only)

most others including some that dont look like speakers Infinity's EMIT, Heil's AMT, Magnaplanar and Martin Logan's electrostatics etc.. all still use some electrical wire to vibrate some diaphram.

Quote:

... im going to get a freeflow fitted to my zen,so obviously there will be a growl from the freeflow..now will the performance of the audio setup in anyway suffer bcoz of the growl of the freeflow..bcoz the growl is nothing but noise and this noise affects the audio in someway right..is it possible to keep the growl out by using some damping materials..im sure the performance freaks on this forum will ask then y go for a freeflow if u want to keep tht growl out....

it will be quite diffcult to keep the growl of the free flow out. sorry.

thanks a lot navin regarding the difference btwn coaxials and components,was very informative!!! i guess like sam suggested i just need to turn up the volume to keep the growl out..that way i can live with both the worlds..

hey sam can u suggest me some books or websites where i can enhance my knowledge on audio systems and stuff..anyway jobless for 6 months..

2 GTO1000s. dude where? in the trunk? where will you fit your golf bag then Sam?