Team-BHP - advice on upgrading my sony system for my zen??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   advice on upgrading my sony system for my zen?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/7332-advice-upgrading-my-sony-system-my-zen-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aseem
Congrats on the car clap:

While you wait for the experts to chip in. I STRONGLY recommend AGAINST using the HU to drive the subwoofer. Most subwoofers have 250 watt RMS, and running them on 22 W RMS will be like running a 200 watt bulb with 15 watt current. It will light... but you see the point!

Dear Aseem. Dont forget the HU deliveres 44 watt Bridged on 4 ohms. so If i Take a sensitive sub ( say 91db/watt/m) would it not be sufficient say to bring out thos lower notes . maybe not the thumping car shaking sound. but mind u it will only cost me 1500 bucks for speaker (pioneer) and say 500 for the MDF board on spear wheel.

I would still say, wait before you add the subwoofer. Buying a car can be taxing (going through the same). However I will advise you what I think is best for you, not what is POSSIBLE and whats not. Adding a basic 2 channel Glider amp for 1.5 k will do wonders to your setup. But if your question is, is it possible to run a sub from your HU, the answer is yes its POSSIBLE, but its not RECOMMENDED! This is entirely my take on this, lets wait for experts to help you in this as well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aseem
Sam do crossovers require breathing? Is the grill design just cosmetic,

Crossovers do not really require breathing and the grill design is purely cosmetic yes.

I agree, this particular HU allows you to run a subwoofer off it and I've heard it too. It's grossly underpowered. YES you can do it, but well... dont expect too much from it.

Put a cheap amp like aseem says. (glider? is it local?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I agree, this particular HU allows you to run a subwoofer off it and I've heard it too. It's grossly underpowered. YES you can do it, but well... dont expect too much from it.

Yes its local. There is a review about that amp in Autocar september issue. Moodswings tried installing Sony 502 and this amp on his subwoofer, and was impressed by the performance of this amp. I am recommending this basing on the fact that cost is an issue here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi

even the pioneer 7750 will allow you to run a subwoofer thru the HU....dont know the performance though

I am talking about 7750 only

Quote:

Originally Posted by pranil
BTW. any restrictions or advise for distance from crossover to speakers and HU. What about two midrange and tweeter cables running together any induction coupling there.

actually pranil, if there will be any "coupling" it would be capacitive but as long as you use good wires (using a good matieral with a high dielectric constant) i would not worry.

guys going in for a new HU on my car..so have narrowed down to:
1. pioneer 7750.
2. sony 7710.
3. alpine 9833..
need ur inputs on these..other suggestion are most welcome..budget is around 16k..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885
guys going in for a new HU on my car..so have narrowed down to:
1. pioneer 7750.
2. sony 7710.
3. alpine 9833..
need ur inputs on these..other suggestion are most welcome..budget is around 16k..

No brainer... if budget not an issue than its Alpine. I would have answered differently if you were considering Sony 8800...

My preference would be in this order:

1. pioneer 7750 - most intuitive, full featured, ease of use, warm sound, punchy bass, unmatched control

2. sony 7710 - Nice brushed aluminium looks, 24Bit Burr Brown DACs at this price... Its second choice only because it may have 2 preouts only

3. alpine 9833 - Already discontinued by Alpine, has had problems worldwide, least user friendly, sounds good (a little peaky sometimes)

In order :

1. Pioneer 7750
2. Sony 7710 though the new 7715 is a better option if you can find one
3. Alpine 9833

If you want to spend that much on a headunit. I would also like to recommend Pioneer 8650

How do you buy a Pioneer in India with a Bill and Warranty?

gunbir, i have the 9833 and i would like to knwo what problems i should expect.

I don't think Pioneer is available with Bill & Warranty in India. Its gray market everywhere.

My point. Cant recommend Pioneer if Pioneer wont stand behind their product and offer a warranty. They expcet to make money of servicing new Pioneers by making sure the product is only available without bill and warranty. After al they have many authorised service centers in India. Lamblasting them for this level of marketing has not helped.