Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2005, 00:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Hi jkdas

While Navin is right about bass tubes (ported boxes) being easier to drive, I suggest you go for a sealed box setup. Try this... try speaking through cupped hands... it will be louder with the same effort. This is how a bass tube works. It will play louder with the same power... but that is not due to driver efficiency but rather due to porting. My point is... when you speak through cupped hands you will notice your voice tends to become directional and muddy... same goes for bass tubes. direction of the port in your car will largely dictate percieved output in certain parts of the car. and the bass will not be clear, tight or punchy. It will have a boomy (cupped hand?) effect.

I suggest go with a sealed box design (unless you prefer slow, boomy bass) and look for a more senstive subwoofer. see your specs, the gtb300 is rated at 91db senstivity. the way human hearing works, sound is percived doubled every 3db.

So, a 94db rated sub will sound nearly twice as loud and a 97db thrice as loud. So, look for a more sensitive sub. I suggest our Hertz ES300D. Its a 12" sub with fantastic SQ and SPL. Very nice build quality and... its 97db.

Datasheet

Manual

Price wise, at Rs. 8170 it is more expensive than the other subs you are considering but there is a bigger difference in sound quality and output. You can also consider the ES250D which is cheaper at Rs. 6290 and 96db. Bear in mind these prices are for sub drivers only and you would need a box with these. We can supply a custom box for the Xing as well...
thanks mate for ur advice. hertz is not available in kerala( i think) . would have checked it out if it was available here at trivandrum. and its a bit pricey for me i guess

and ur explanation was nice. i am going for the sub box

Last edited by jkdas : 11th September 2005 at 00:53.
Old 11th September 2005, 01:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While Navin is right about bass tubes (ported boxes) being easier to drive, I suggest you go for a sealed box setup. ...I suggest go with a sealed box design (unless you prefer slow, boomy bass) and look for a more senstive subwoofer. see your specs, the gtb300 is rated at 91db senstivity. the way human hearing works, sound is percived doubled every 3db...
So, a 94db rated sub will sound nearly twice as loud and a 97db thrice as loud. So, look for a more sensitive sub. I suggest our Hertz ES300D. Its a 12" sub with fantastic SQ and SPL. Very nice build quality and... its 97db.
Price wise, at Rs. 8170 it is more expensive than the other subs you are considering but there is a bigger difference in sound quality and output. You can also consider the ES250D which is cheaper at Rs. 6290 and 96db. Bear in mind these prices are for sub drivers only and you would need a box with these. We can supply a custom box for the Xing as well...
1. one can tune a ported sub by putting damping material in the tube. some call this aperiodic venting i call it Very Short Damped Tranmission Line. :-)
2. sealed box subs are tighter than ported. TL would really be th way to go but given the car enviroment ported is not too bad if one can work with a few placement options.
3. You got a typo...3db = 2x, 6db x 4x not 3x. Hence 94db = 2x 91db and 97db is 4x 91db.
4. sub ratings are nominal. what we need a freq. curves as well.
5. how much is the JBL sub compared to the Hertz?
Old 11th September 2005, 09:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
1. one can tune a ported sub by putting damping material in the tube. some call this aperiodic venting i call it Very Short Damped Tranmission Line. :-)
2. sealed box subs are tighter than ported. TL would really be th way to go but given the car enviroment ported is not too bad if one can work with a few placement options.
3. You got a typo...3db = 2x, 6db x 4x not 3x. Hence 94db = 2x 91db and 97db is 4x 91db.
4. sub ratings are nominal. what we need a freq. curves as well.
5. how much is the JBL sub compared to the Hertz?
5. how much is the JBL sub compared to the Hertz?.. price?

"price wise, at Rs. 8170 it is more expensive than the other subs you are considering but there is a bigger difference in sound quality and output. You can also consider the ES250D which is cheaper at Rs. 6290 and 96db. Bear in mind these prices are for sub drivers only and you would need a box with these"

so jbl's cheaper as they come with the box
Old 11th September 2005, 11:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Navin, thanks for the correction. I posted a link to the product manual in my last post. Do check it out. You will see they need very little enclosures to work.

I can describe the sound of the ES series subs for you. They play louder (since they're more senstive), they play fast, tight and real punchy. Whether you like hip hop or rock, they deliver a really lively representation of drums (as opposed to just bass as some one-note subs do) really help your midbass deliver that kick.

The first time I heard them, I was surprised cuz they are our entry level product and they sound closer to subs that are much more expensive.
Old 11th September 2005, 15:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin, thanks for the correction. I posted a link to the product manual in my last post. Do check it out. You will see they need very little enclosures to work.

I can describe the sound of the ES series subs for you. They play louder (since they're more senstive), they play fast, tight and real punchy. Whether you like hip hop or rock, they deliver a really lively representation of drums (as opposed to just bass as some one-note subs do) really help your midbass deliver that kick.

The first time I heard them, I was surprised cuz they are our entry level product and they sound closer to subs that are much more expensive.

so, is Hertz available in Kerala?
Old 11th September 2005, 19:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Gunbir, will a Sony 502 with 120 W RMS be able to drive your Hertz subwoofer.
Old 11th September 2005, 19:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

can some one please help me out with the price of a sony 502.it is a 2 chan amp right ??

rev
Old 11th September 2005, 19:49   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
can some one please help me out with the price of a sony 502.it is a 2 chan amp right ??

rev
ya it is a two channel amp and costs 2.5k in bangalore..
Old 11th September 2005, 23:06   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Gunbir, will a Sony 502 with 120 W RMS be able to drive your Hertz subwoofer.
aseem. a 100W in a driver that is 94db will part your hair (unless the driver hits Xmax first).
Old 12th September 2005, 02:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
aseem. a 100W in a driver that is 94db will part your hair (unless the driver hits Xmax first).
Aseem. Yes, In a Santro... it will rock your world.

Navin, the 12" driver is 97db.
And its not going to hit xmax with just a 100w man. These things are a bit underrated by the mfr as it is and as per their specs cont power is 350w. I have personally tested this with 400+ watts (genuine tru watts) and it was putting out fantastic spl with no hint of strain. this was in a .85 cu ft sealed enclosure.

jkdas, being based in New Delhi, we have just started appointing dealers in North India. You will be seeing our ads in the upcoming car magazine issues. We will be in Bangalore in October and other regions soon thereafter. However, if you need something now, there are two ways to do this.
a) If you have a preferred installer, ask him to give us a call and we be able to supply through him.
b) buy direct for now (as an interim arrangement) and we will ship you the stuff you need (freight at our expense). If you need the sub, we can even do the custom box for your car and send it 'plug and playable'.
Old 12th September 2005, 11:24   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And its not going to hit xmax with just a 100w man. These things are a bit underrated by the mfr as it is and as per their specs cont power is 350w. I have personally tested this with 400+ watts (genuine tru watts) and it was putting out fantastic spl with no hint of strain. this was in a .85 cu ft sealed enclosure.
a) If you have a preferred installer, ask him to give us a call and we be able to supply through him.
b) buy direct for now (as an interim arrangement) and we will ship you the stuff you need (freight at our expense). If you need the sub, we can even do the custom box for your car and send it 'plug and playable'.
1. 97db that is 3db more for the hair parting!
2. 100W can Xmax out most drivers. I am sorry but Xmax depends a lot more on the freq. the driver is producing that the wattage.

Try this...
take a really good amp capabale of big current,
Take a good signal generator and set that to 100Hz.
Connect the signal generator to the amp and the amp to the speakers.
callibarte the signal generator to drive the amp to 100W.
the next steps will be petty loud so be careful....
now sweep the signal generator (amp at 100W) from 100hz down to 20Hz. At some point I guess the woofer will make a lot of movement and as you sweep lower the movement will get nonlinear and eventually it will start hitting it's Xmax.

BTW you got a dealer in Mumbai? Close to Worli?
Old 12th September 2005, 16:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aseem. Yes, In a Santro... it will rock your world.

jkdas, being based in New Delhi, we have just started appointing dealers in North India. You will be seeing our ads in the upcoming car magazine issues. We will be in Bangalore in October and other regions soon thereafter. However, if you need something now, there are two ways to do this.
Think I may have 2 wait with the sub part for one month unless my bros bank account shows excess money when he checks 2mrw.

anyway, could u quote teh price of the sub with the plug-n-play box....and would the sony 502Z do the job
Old 12th September 2005, 16:40   #28
Team-BHP Support

yeah the 502 will do the job. like i said 100W will drive about anything.
Old 12th September 2005, 18:20   #29
BHPian

Experts please comment on the basic specs for my Friends Santro

1. HU Sony CDX - F5510X
2. Sony 1021 for front and
3 Sony 6937 for rear
All costing 12375/- after discounts and including fitting charges.
Old 12th September 2005, 18:22   #30
BHPian

PS : the Santro is having separate place for rear speakers ( plastic speaker holder attached with the body of the vechicle on both sides of the parcel tray)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks